Basketball - Day 5 Game Thread Aug. 10th

Carlton Blue
Ballboy
And1: 19

Re: Basketball - Day 5 Game Thread Aug. 10th 

Post#341 » by Carlton Blue » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:40 am

Dr Salad Bowl wrote:
Carlton Blue wrote:Erhm they would be at the "US" team village. With the other US athletes...

Not sure you grasp the concept of the Olympics.

Haha. I do get it, and I think it's great. I think the US team is crazy for not wanting to be amongst it, but that's their loss.

You're going way off your original point, which was that they don't care about representing their country as much as the other teams. I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.

PS go Bluebaggers 8-)

If it's good enough for Michael Phelps it should be good enough for these primadonnas.

I'd love to see Basketball become like soccer at the Olympics, U/23's only.
NOD
Junior
And1: 584

Post#342 » by NOD » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:43 am

Carlton Blue wrote:
NOD wrote:Or maybe there are too many Aussies who seem to think this is a game of 7's...

It's because most have grown up playing other sports like AFL/Rugby at some stage in their lives and as such aren't soft life time basketballers who cry over a little bump.

No doubt Aussies play the traditionally non-contact sports like Basketball and Soccer with a harder edge.

While we're on the regional terminology thing, in the rest of the world, that's called 'fouling.'
Carlton Blue
Ballboy

Post#343 » by Carlton Blue » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:48 am

NOD wrote:
Carlton Blue wrote:
NOD wrote:Or maybe there are too many Aussies who seem to think this is a game of 7's...

It's because most have grown up playing other sports like AFL/Rugby at some stage in their lives and as such aren't soft life time basketballers who cry over a little bump.

No doubt Aussies play the traditionally non-contact sports like Basketball and Soccer with a harder edge.

While we're on the regional terminology thing, in the rest of the world, that's called 'fouling.'

No it's not. It's called being physical.

It's only a foul when the referee calls it one.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 41,145

Post#344 » by Sedale Threatt » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:01 am

Physical is fine. Great, even. But then don't send Cousins to the bench with a bunch of ticky-tack fouls. That's what George was complaining about, not the physicality.
Carlton Blue
Ballboy

Post#345 » by Carlton Blue » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:10 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:Physical is fine. Great, even. But then don't send Cousins to the bench with a bunch of ticky-tack fouls. That's what George was complaining about, not the physicality.

Then his issue should be with the refs, not Australia. Call the refs dirty then.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#346 » by Sedale Threatt » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:13 am

Dr Salad Bowl wrote:
Carlton Blue wrote:The difference in the two sides is Australia embrace the concept of team, The USA are a team but only in name.

There's playing for your country and then there's going to war for your country.

US basketball too often just turns up and plays hero ball while those nations with lesser talented teams often give their heart and soul for their countries team.

While that's true, I can understand that after they whip the pants off a couple of teams, they can fall into lazy habits. That's true of anyone.

Team USA is generally the most athletic and gifted team, while the other countries have to scurry and hustle to scrap points, so they probably look a lot 'busier' than the US. It's easier for the US to score at will so they look a bit more chilled out there, I don't think it's a lack of national pride.

We put these silly cliches about not caring or not having any heart to bed years ago, back when we were putting teams together by throwing darts at the wall and rolling out the ball. This is what the standard is now for Team USA -- you have a mediocre half, outscore a good team with a bunch of NBA vets by 15 in the second for your 47th or 48th straight win, and goons like Carlton are going to come out of the woodwork trying to use this as some tired referendum that was applicable back in 2004. Try harder.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#347 » by Sedale Threatt » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:17 am

Carlton Blue wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:Physical is fine. Great, even. But then don't send Cousins to the bench with a bunch of ticky-tack fouls. That's what George was complaining about, not the physicality.

Then his issue should be with the refs, not Australia. Call the refs dirty then.

He did, basically. And if he thinks Australia is "a little dirty," they have Matthew Dellevadova and Andrew Bogut (who I like a lot) on the team. Buy the ticket, take the ride.
Carlton Blue
Ballboy

Post#348 » by Carlton Blue » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:27 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:
Carlton Blue wrote:

He did, basically. And if he thinks Australia is "a little dirty," they have Matthew Dellevadova and Andrew Bogut (who I like a lot) on the team. Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Paul George is a "little soft" then.

It also displays their true character. If you can't be magnanimous even in victory then you're a big time whinger and sook.
young_frogger
Rookie
And1: 965

Post#349 » by young_frogger » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:37 am

Mr. E wrote:
Alonzo_Morning wrote:What's the difference between a sprint and a wind sprint? Is it just a case of adding in unncessary terms?

I may be using the wrong popular term, but that's what our coaches called it when you had to do the sprints to the free throw line and back, then the half-court line and back, and then the other free throw line and back, and finally the other baseline and back.

Wash, rinse, repeat. Hated those things!

I believe those are more commonly referred to as suicides
Carry On My Hayward Son
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#350 » by Sedale Threatt » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:39 am

Carlton Blue wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:
Carlton Blue wrote:

Paul George is a "little soft" then.

It also displays their true character. If you can't be magnanimous even in victory then you're a big time whinger and sook.

This is the quote you're freaking out over:

"We knew we were going to get their best. It was an adjustment for us. This game kind of got out of hand with the chippy (play) and the physical play. We knew that coming in. This team has a knack for being a little dirty. I thought the second half we did a good job of just matching it."

I'd say anyone who gets upset over that is also a big time whinger and sook, whatever the hell those are.
deflated
Sophomore
And1: 74

Post#351 » by deflated » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:46 am

Harden2Dwight wrote:
deflated wrote:
Harden2Dwight wrote:
Is Bogut better than Cousins? Yes or no? If you're better than someone, especially by quite a large margin, no one can make you play the way you want to play other than yourself. That's not a slight to Bogut. You could say Bogut is smarter, sure, that still doesn't make him a better player or a better talent. Cousins isn't stupid. He's a hard head with a temper. Rasheed Wallace was similar to that too, but Rasheed never really let it affect his play. I'm not being obtuse. Try again.

So whichever NBA team has the 5 players with the better physical tools wins every time? Bogut is smarter, a better ballhander and a better technical defender than Cousins, Cousins is a physical beast and a better scorer. Guess what, Bogut's particular set of skills gives Cousins fits no matter what you think of their respective levels. Bogut wins far more of their match-ups than your simple view allows.

The person who said Bogut is in Cousins' head is correct. That is the exact reason for why he struggles against Bogut. Again, I'm not taking anything away from Bogut. But Cousins should be destroying him if it wasn't for that one reason. It's not Bogut's skills, it's Cousins' mental lapse. I haven't even said anything about physical tools, I'm talking about TALENT. Talent does not mean physical tools.

If you're trying to say Bogut is just a bad match up for Cousins, sure I could agree with that. Cousins should still have played a lot better, and he was a non factor today mostly due to the fact that he looked like he didn't give two ****. That's all Cousins and you can say that's Bogut being in his head or whatever. The point is it's on Cousins, not Bogut making Cousins the way he played today.

Lord you're reaching. Bogut is far more talented between the ears than Cousins and that is a lack of talent from Cousins, not Cousins "letting" him win the battle. Cousins is yet another spectacular athlete who is an underachieving player as he has crappy mental skills.
MrBaynes
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,863

Post#352 » by MrBaynes » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:39 am

You can revoke my typical America homerism card, I was totally pulling for Australia when I saw the game was actually competitive. Complete opposite of how I am with every other sport in the olympics, but I was totally pulling for the Boomers.
Alonzo_Morning
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,624

Post#353 » by Alonzo_Morning » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:45 am

I can't imagine anyone from the '92 Dream Team whinging about a little physicality.

They would have thrived on it.
jangles86
Starter
And1: 940

Post#354 » by jangles86 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:55 am

Man George is an embarrassment. Aussies are tough.

If Simmons pans out to be the star people predict and Maker turns into a good centre the Aussies team could challenge US in the next Olympics.
bb22
Starter
And1: 1,011

Post#355 » by bb22 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:04 am

Yes, this was my biggest issue. Seems like in FIBA you can get away with A LOT off the ball, but once someone has you in the post any slight contact is a whistle. The US can definitely use this to their advantage, if they wanted to. The calls on loose ball fouls looked completely random and need to be more consistent, IMO.

Australia is very fun to watch on both ends. Looking back, I still think the US wins this game 100/100 times because there is just no way for the boomers (or any human team) to keep that level of physicality and sharp shooting up for 40 min. They were shooting 68% at half (US was in the 30s) and only had a 5 point lead.
bb22
Starter
And1: 1,011

Post#356 » by bb22 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:32 am

bklynspursfan wrote:Aussie executed much better than US. US just hit some tough shots. Well, Melo and Irving.

It's interesting, Marc Stein reported the Aussie's wouldn't show their full hand tonight knowing another matchup is possible. They only used half their playbook, or less. You can tell if you move the ball against the US, their offense will struggle cause they'll expend more energy.

1 adjustment I think is inevitable is not having Baynes guard Melo. If they meet, I don't think it's a sure thing the US wins

I think the Aussies gave it all they had. There's no other magic that they can pull out IMO. They need Baynes out there to protect the paint and allow Bogut to play that high post. That kyrie/melo pnr (With melo at the 4) is unstoppable. Kyrie/KD would also be a sure thing.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,689

Post#357 » by Dupp » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:13 am

USA had a pretty great run with the refs this morning....
nike1
Senior
And1: 313

Post#358 » by nike1 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:49 am

melo doesnt fire,

australia wins the game.
watched it on delay, man i love delly/mills backcourt,
hopefully i can catch another aussie game.
marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,152

Post#359 » by marcush » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:53 am

So much better watching games without the endless rubbish timeouts. I know the NBA will alway prioritize the almighty dollar but wouldn't it be fantastic to watch uninterrupted play in our great game.
zeeb
Ballboy
And1: 33

Post#360 » by zeeb » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:29 am

Such a pleasure to watch this Boomers team. 77 assists from 98 field goals in this tournament. Their offense demonstrates what international ball outside the US has valued for a long time now -- ball movement, passing, teamwork and chemistry. Imagine the dominance of Team USA if they learnt how to play some team ball. How long will Team USA be able to rely on hero ball?

I'm not sure if Paul George meant it as a slight when he called the Boomers NBA players all "role players", but it is something I think the USA team is missing out when it comes to selections. The US should have focused more on role players when selecting the team. Team-first role players, who play their guts out, and sacrifice for the team. If I were selecting the USA team, I would focus less on selecting a team full of All-Stars, and instead go with more solid role players who fit the FIBA game. Keep a handful of the least egotistical superstars and fill the rest with FIBA-style role players. Then actually develop some chemistry with more preparation. That's when USA will be truly dominant.

nike1 wrote:watched it on delay, man i love delly/mills backcourt

Mills works much better as an undersized shooting guard, so he fits well with a taller pure point like Delly (not that Delly is especially tall, just not a midget guard). Giving Mills the freedom to be a pure scorer is what suits him. Let Delly run the team.

It will be interesting to see how Exum's game develops to go alongside these two. It could be a nice and versatile 3-guard rotation as each can play the 1 or 2 and each are solid defenders. I'm not sold on Exum yet, especially based on his Boomers play in the 2014 World Champs and his rawness in his rookie NBA season, so I hope to see him develop more in Utah, especially with his playmaking and shooting as his defense is already solid. A point forward like Simmons would be nice to relieve Delly at times too. Defensively, the 4-spot is the Boomers main weakness right now, so not so surprising that Carmelo Anthony repeatedly spot up. I'd expect some defensive adjustments to deal with that if these teams match up again.

Serbia should be another physical encounter next up for USA. Should be interesting.

Return to Olympics