Basketball - Day 7 Game Thread Aug. 12th

marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,152

Re: Basketball - Day 7 Game Thread Aug. 12th 

Post#201 » by marcush » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:08 am

The hierarchy just looks undefined. Everyone knew Kobe was the Alpha and we're happy to play their roles which is why a guy like Melo has been so successful, he was prepared to sacrifice.

Players like PG, Butler, Derozan maybe should be overlooked for genuine role players like Bradley, Reddick or Middleton. Players and people who don't get offended by physical play and just want to play for their team and country.

Chemistry wise, they really need to keep dragging Igoudala out for these things, just such a glue guy on and off the court. Melo is doing his best but it looks like a pretty tough locker room.
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#202 » by richboy » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:22 am

90sgoat wrote:
90sgoat wrote:To be honest, no team if not forced should choose Cousins or Green, two extremely ill behaved primadonnas who probably stink up the locker room with their bad mentality. I also doubt players like Butler, who is a ball dominant shooting guard, exactly what you don't want in FIBA. Lowry is also very overrated when he can't carry dribble. Deandre should not have been there either.

Here's who I would have added instead:

Hayward
Parsons
Paul Millsap
Mike Conley (Rajon Rondo)

4 smart players who are unselfish and can play fast passing oriented basketball.

I forgot to pick centers, but US is very weak there now. I'd take Drummond over both though. And maybe KAT even if young.

I had this discussion earlier in the year. Kat despite being young does almost everything better than Cousins already. f you want to know why DC is overrated just watch these Olympics. His value is high volume shooting at low efficiency. The other aspects of his game are not special. When he not getting 20 shots a game he doesn't bring much to the table. No matter what anyone says Cousin's is not the best big in the world. He a big that somehow has found a way to put up 35 usage. Making him one of the most highly used bigs in history.

If Anthony Davis was playing USA probably wins by 25. He eliminates much of the things that teams are attacking USA with. Drummond also be a step up.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,215

Post#203 » by MrBigShot » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:25 am

Not entirely sure why the games are this close. Maybe they aren't taking it seriously enough...too much social media and fooling around. Can't say for sure, but with the disparity in talent they just flat out need to play better.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
Benedict_Boozer
RealGM
And1: 5,726

Post#204 » by Benedict_Boozer » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:28 am

Jokic is a baller. Serbia pretty much schooled us that whole game, we won purely on raw talent. Horrible offensive execution, horrible defense, horrible closing offense down the stretch.

A win is a win but that was as ugly and uninspiring as it gets. Our lack of playmaking is glaring because we have no offense.

It would be nice if Durant would step up and assert himself. Melo should not be the alpha on this team at his age, Durant is a top 3 player in the NBA in his prime he should be taking over these games especially late. He has embarrassed himself these last 2 games.
Benedict_Boozer
RealGM
And1: 5,726

Post#205 » by Benedict_Boozer » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:31 am

richboy wrote:
I had this discussion earlier in the year. Kat despite being young does almost everything better than Cousins already. f you want to know why DC is overrated just watch these Olympics. His value is high volume shooting at low efficiency. The other aspects of his game are not special. When he not getting 20 shots a game he doesn't bring much to the table. No matter what anyone says Cousin's is not the best big in the world. He a big that somehow has found a way to put up 35 usage. Making him one of the most highly used bigs in history.

If Anthony Davis was playing USA probably wins by 25. He eliminates much of the things that teams are attacking USA with. Drummond also be a step up.

Agreed.

In addition to an Anthony Davis type, this team needs some hustle guys like Faried on the last squad.
bakesale
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,776

Post#206 » by bakesale » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:31 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:Horrendous defense again. How do you trap a loose ball and give up a wide-open 3 in a three-point game? Terrible discipline.

When will American fans give real credit to their opposition? Serbia and Australia have good offensive sets, just admit it!!!
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 41,145

Post#207 » by Sedale Threatt » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:37 am

bakesale wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:Horrendous defense again. How do you trap a loose ball and give up a wide-open 3 in a three-point game? Terrible discipline.

When will American fans give real credit to their opposition? Serbia and Australia have good offensive sets, just admit it!!!

They both played very well. We also sucked on defense. It can be both.
bender235
Junior
And1: 5

Post#208 » by bender235 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:44 am

Benedict_Boozer wrote:It would be nice if Durant would step up and assert himself. Melo should not be the alpha on this team at his age, Durant is a top 3 player in the NBA in his prime he should be taking over these games especially late. He has embarrassed himself these last 2 games.

Remember how he took over games at the 2010 World Championships? It's not like he's unfamiliar to the international stage. Let's see what happens in the next games.
bakesale
Lead Assistant

Post#209 » by bakesale » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:56 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:
bakesale wrote:

It can be both but it's seldom said or more often than not needs to be pointed out by a fan outside of the USA
nk657
Senior
And1: 180

Post#210 » by nk657 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:04 am

NBA players are so overestimated nowdays. Its not only tonights game. This is being proven every day in different situations,(take KD decision for example) and things will get rather worse in the next years. Thats because the marketing and the media have been portraying the NBA stars as GODS for years now...

The only GODS were MJ, Magic and Bird. The 80s. Now its mainly hype. Super hype. The absense of a simple rule like the one which forbids zone deffence in restricted area for more than 3 seconds can make those immortals... look like mortals in Fiba games...
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#211 » by Sedale Threatt » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:10 am

bakesale wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:
bakesale wrote:When will American fans give real credit to their opposition? Serbia and Australia have good offensive sets, just admit it!!!

It can be both but it's seldom said or more often than not needs to be pointed out by a fan outside of the USA

I'm a fan of Team USA. The overwhelming majority of my focus -- especially when the game is still being played, when that post you cherry-picked was made -- is on what my team is doing right or wrong.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#212 » by Sedale Threatt » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:14 am

nk657 wrote:NBA players are so overestimated nowdays. Its not only tonights game. This is being proven every day in different situations,(take KD decision for example) and things will get rather worse in the next years. Thats because the marketing and the media have been portraying the NBA stars as GODS for years now...

The only GODS were MJ, Magic and Bird. The 80s. Now its mainly hype. Super hype. The absense of a simple rule like the one which forbids zone deffence in restricted area for more than 3 seconds can make those immortals... look like mortals in Fiba games...

And here come the scorching hot takes!
bakesale
Lead Assistant

Post#213 » by bakesale » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:21 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:
bakesale wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:

I'm a fan of Team USA. The overwhelming majority of my focus -- especially when the game is still being played, when that post you cherry-picked was made -- is on what my team is doing right or wrong.

I'm a fan of Australia. I do focus on my team but I also see what the other team is doing too. Especially in the middle of the game. I like to analyse what both teams are doing. I guess we are just different kinds of fans.

Marc Stein of ESPN immediately after the game stating that Serbia gave Team USA a clinic in offensive execution. An honest reporter calling it for what it is.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#214 » by Sedale Threatt » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:26 am

bakesale wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:
bakesale wrote:It can be both but it's seldom said or more often than not needs to be pointed out by a fan outside of the USA

I'm a fan of Australia. I do focus on my team but I also see what the other team is doing too. Especially in the middle of the game. I like to analyse what both teams are doing. I guess we are just different kinds of fans.

Apparently so. But I guess you missed these posts.

Sedale Threatt wrote:What a pass (by Teodosic). WOW.

Sedale Threatt wrote:Jokic whipping Boogie's ass every which way.

At any rate, I grant you the elementary school participation ribbon you are so desperately seeking by recognizing Australia and Serbia for their excellent performances. Enjoy it, and good luck for the rest of the tournament.
bakesale
Lead Assistant

Post#215 » by bakesale » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:35 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:
At any rate, I grant you the elementary school participation ribbon you are so desperately seeking by recognizing Australia and Serbia for their excellent performances. Enjoy it, and good luck for the rest of the tournament.

wow, now you are patronising me? Dude I didn't insult you, I was just hoping American fans would give credit to their opposition playing great offence.

but whatever, you are showing your true colours...
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#216 » by Sedale Threatt » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:39 am

bakesale wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:

wow, now you are patronising me? Dude I didn't insult you, I was just hoping American fans would give credit to their opposition playing great offence.

I'm absolutely patronizing you, because badgering people for not giving the opposing team credit in game threads -- you did it the other night, too -- is ridiculously annoying. Nobody likes the hall monitor.
bakesale
Lead Assistant

Post#217 » by bakesale » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:51 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:
bakesale wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:

I'm absolutely patronizing you, because badgering people for not giving the opposing team credit in game threads -- you did it the other night, too -- is ridiculously annoying. Nobody likes the hall monitor.

Badgering? Pointing out one thing is all it takes to be ridiculously annoying? lol so sensitive too it seems.

Heaven forbid I should ask Americans to be humble enough to give some real credit to their opposition.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#218 » by Sedale Threatt » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:08 am

bakesale wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:
bakesale wrote:

Badgering? Pointing out one thing is all it takes to be ridiculously annoying? lol so sensitive too it seems.

Heaven forbid I should ask Americans to be humble enough to give some real credit to their opposition.

That's the thing -- I had been, as illustrated by the examples I provided. But instead you parachute into the thread well after the fact, take one post out of context and start whining about credit, like you did the other night with people who were making perfectly legitimate complaints about our weak defense.

Why you even care is beyond me -- I never felt the need to barge onto the Celtics board after Game 7 of the 2010 Finals when they were complaining about blowing the game and getting screwed by the refs -- but it's obnoxious. It's apropos you brought up sensitivity -- if you're this sensitive about something so inconsequential, you're going to have a rough time on Real GM.
NOOB77
General Manager
And1: 3,288

Post#219 » by NOOB77 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:38 am

Coach K needs to go to a 2 PG lineup I think and sit KD.

Lowry
Kylie
PG
Melo
DJ or Green

I think that would be the best lineup with the way the players are playing currently.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
ciueli
Analyst
And1: 2,308

Post#220 » by ciueli » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:52 am

The U.S. didn't prioritize passing when the team was constructed and it really shows - there isn't one above average passer on the whole roster. They really needed at least one of Steph Curry, LeBron James or Chris Paul so they could have someone who can make plays for other players.

Having said that, their problem is actually not offence because they're scoring near or above 100 points every game.

Return to Olympics