Basketball - Quarterfinals Aug. 16/17

TheTrooper
Senior
And1: 550

Re: Basketball - Quarterfinals Aug. 16/17 

Post#281 » by TheTrooper » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:58 am

Pachinko_ wrote:WTF man, Croatia is smaller than South Carolina, how many medals do you want LOL

Well we had 15 - 20 legit medal chances before the start of the games. I know you cant win them all, but we all hoped for 10. Anyways the team sports are basically the only ones we truly care about....I would trade all 7 won so far for one in handball and basketball.

Since as a nation we focus so much on team sports this is maybe some biological maximum. Basketball, water polo, handball and soccer ( sports where we are legit top 10 teams) all take up like 20 top proffessionals each and hundreds of average athletes and we still have room for nice anount of medals in individual sports. Maybe we could have hoped for more if we had an athlete like Katinka who alone won 1/3 of all the Hungarian medals. Unfortunately we have no one with the ability to win more then 1 medal.
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,420

Post#282 » by gavran » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:17 am

TheTrooper wrote:
Pachinko_ wrote:WTF man, Croatia is smaller than South Carolina, how many medals do you want LOL

Well we had 15 - 20 legit medal chances before the start of the games. I know you cant win them all, but we all hoped for 10. Anyways the team sports are basically the only ones we truly care about....I would trade all 7 won so far for one in handball and basketball.

Since as a nation we focus so much on team sports this is maybe some biological maximum. Basketball, water polo, handball and soccer ( sports where we are legit top 10 teams) all take up like 20 top proffessionals each and hundreds of average athletes and we still have room for nice anount of medals in individual sports. Maybe we could have hoped for more if we had an athlete like Katinka who alone won 1/3 of all the Hungarian medals. Unfortunately we have no one with the ability to win more then 1 medal.

Not countng the extreme small nations (population <3 million) you guys lead the gold/capita, although I still expect 2 more golds for Hungary, so not for long.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,997

Post#283 » by UcanUwill » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:25 am

2 decent bets.

Serbia 2.41 odds.
Spain 7.00 odds.

What do you think?
jptremblay
Rookie
And1: 1,215

Post#284 » by jptremblay » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:55 am

UcanUwill wrote:2 decent bets.

Serbia 2.41 odds.
Spain 7.00 odds.

What do you think?

Australia is playing really well...but probably they are not prepared to the war that Serbia is planning on them... because they are not used to the thoughness of some balcanic countries... plus that Serbia always keep the best to knockout rounds...I can see Australia losing, thought they're the best team.
When this account gets more "And1"s than posts written ...then my life will be complete. And maybe it will be the right time to hang it up. (Achieved on 2017-2018 season)...but still here.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#285 » by UcanUwill » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:25 pm

jptremblay wrote:

Serbia 2.41 odds.
Spain 7.00 odds.

What do you think?

Australia is playing really well...but probably they are not prepared to the war that Serbia is planning on them... because they are not used to the thoughness of some balcanic countries... plus that Serbia always keep the best to knockout rounds...I can see Australia losing, thought they're the best team.

Yeah, if I had to guess I would say Australia wins, but 2.4 is very intriguing. I might take that bet.
Popovich
Pro Prospect
And1: 293

Post#286 » by Popovich » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:34 pm

Serbia 2.41 odds.
Spain 7.00 odds.

What do you think?

It is extremely unlikely to won on both underdogs. Trust me, If you bet against the odds and the bookies you should choose one underdog and combine it with some favorites.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#287 » by UcanUwill » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:38 pm

Popovich wrote:

Serbia 2.41 odds.
Spain 7.00 odds.

What do you think?

It is extremely unlikely to won on both underdogs. Trust me, If you bet against the odds and the bookies you should choose one underdog and combine it with some favorites.

I was thinking of combining it, but its pretty silly. I am thinking of taking a single, most likely Serbia one. Tho I actually think Spain has a chance against USA.
I bet only once in these Olympics so far, and I am in the green.
bb22
Starter
And1: 1,001

Post#288 » by bb22 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:25 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Popovich wrote:

Serbia 2.41 odds.
Spain 7.00 odds.

What do you think?

I was thinking of combining it, but its pretty silly. I am thinking of taking a single, most likely Serbia one. Tho I actually think Spain has a chance against USA.
I bet only once in these Olympics so far, and I am in the green.

I want Australia to get to the finals, but that's not happening. Serbia's gonna win. I'm not sure why the bookies have the Aussies favored so heavily, other than the fact that they beat them in a close game in group stage.
gavran
RealGM

Post#289 » by gavran » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:28 pm

gavran wrote:
TheTrooper wrote:

Not countng the extreme small nations (population <3 million) you guys lead the gold/capita, although I still expect 2 more golds for Hungary, so not for long.

Aaaaaaand, Croatia isn't #1 anymore.
TheTrooper
Senior

Post#290 » by TheTrooper » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:33 pm

gavran wrote:
gavran wrote:
TheTrooper wrote:Well we had 15 - 20 legit medal chances before the start of the games. I know you cant win them all, but we all hoped for 10. Anyways the team sports are basically the only ones we truly care about....I would trade all 7 won so far for one in handball and basketball.

Sailng 6:50 PM, Croatian duo Fantela/Marenic has a comfortable lead before the medal race.
We will see though. Tonci Stipanovic had roughly the same lead before the medal race and lost the gold. Only theory could make him lose the gold and he lost it. He lost the bronze in London the same way. :lol:
Im telling you, we are the biggest losers to have walked the planet. :lol:

Anyways as I said. As a nation we rely too much on team sports and one bad day like yesterday can really hurt us. We don't have anyone like Katinka, or any swimmer as a matter of fact. The last good one we had was Duje Draganja.
gavran
RealGM

Post#291 » by gavran » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:52 pm

TheTrooper wrote:
gavran wrote:
gavran wrote:Not countng the extreme small nations (population <3 million) you guys lead the gold/capita, although I still expect 2 more golds for Hungary, so not for long.

Sailng 6:50 PM, Croatian duo Fantela/Marenic has a comfortable lead before the medal race.
We will see though. Tonci Stipanovic had roughly the same lead before the medal race and lost the gold. Only theory could make him lose the gold and he lost it. He lost the bronze in London the same way. :lol:
Im telling you, we are the biggest losers to have walked the planet. :lol:

Anyways as I said. As a nation we rely too much on team sports and one bad day like yesterday can really hurt us. We don't have anyone like Katinka, or any swimmer as a matter of fact. The last good one we had was Duje Draganja.

Must be a Hungarian Kingdom thing, because we feel the same thing. Imre Géza lost a 14-9 lead in the fencing finals, men's waterpolo team had 3 games that they messed up in the last seconds, women's team had also a game like that.

And now Hungary vs Ratko Rudić.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,729

Post#292 » by Pachinko_ » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:57 pm

I have a good friend who is Hungarian, she told me once if she could change one thing about Hungarians is their pessimism.
gavran
RealGM

Post#293 » by gavran » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:12 pm

We're not pessimists, we just expect the worst in every situation.
WarriorsEFC
Rookie
And1: 1,111

Post#294 » by WarriorsEFC » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:33 pm

salmon wrote:I still say they should have taken Jawaii...

As a Perth Wildcats man myself... there is no way in a million years did Nathan Jawaii deserve to be in this squad. The man is a disgrace to professional basketball and a waste of talent.

When he signed with the Perth Wildcats one of the main reasons he told was their fitness staff and he wanted to lose weight and get fitness to make the Australian Team. I then watched him only get bigger and bigger. He must live on junk food. He even admits it himself that it's all his diet. Obviously the Olympics weren't important enough to him. Guys like Andrew Bogut are doing 24x7 rehab against surgeons orders to play in the Olympics... and this guy can't go a day without cleaning out the buffet at an all you can eat.

"I've seen a dietitian, and diet is the main thing. There's been some collapses throughout the time. You get too excited when you go out and eat whatever when you're in the restaurant.

73-9 - GTOAT.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,729

Post#295 » by Pachinko_ » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:50 pm

gavran wrote:We're not pessimists, we just expect the worst in every situation.

ok
one day I will understand the difference :D
bb22
Starter
And1: 1,001

Post#296 » by bb22 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:13 pm

Crazy sendoff game for Manu
jinxed
Starter
And1: 1,298

Post#297 » by jinxed » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:20 pm

Pau Gasol hurt his calf against France and may not be able to pay against USA. Not looking like a good bet.
Check out my book! "The Awakened Ape :A Biohacker's Guide to Evolutionary Fitness, Natural Ecstasy, and Stress-Free Living"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSJN3Q4?ref_=pe_2427780_160035660
Popovich
Pro Prospect
And1: 293

Post#298 » by Popovich » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:02 pm

"Think about the best but be prepared for the worst"
TheTrooper
Senior

Post#299 » by TheTrooper » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:33 pm

Ok this day is a bit better. We got that gold in sailing, water polo team reached the finals and we have 3 finalists in track and field ( shot put, high jump and javelin).
Pitimiquel
Ballboy
And1: 16

Re: RE: Re: Basketball - Quarterfinals Aug. 16/17 

Post#300 » by Pitimiquel » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:34 pm

jinxed wrote:Pau Gasol hurt his calf against France and may not be able to pay against USA. Not looking like a good bet.

Pau will play. It is his last game against the US, and he is so motivated.

Return to Olympics