Can team USA lose this gold in basketball?

Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Re: Can team USA lose this gold in basketball? 

Post#21 » by Mr. E » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:35 pm

Lexluthor wrote:Basketball is not the # 1 sport in the US . It's football . For a while Baseball was more popular than Basketball.And you mention this country's are missing Parker and Ben Simmons. The U.S. does not have LeBron James or Stephen curry . And Spain is just soft. A front court of Gasol and Mirotic is leading you know where .

As someone who is a basketball fan first and foremost, I'd have to say that baseball is still ahead of basketball in the United States in terms of overall popularity. Basketball is #3, but a very solid #3. Football is so far ahead of both of them, though.

As for the thread question: yes, this United States team can lose this tournament. They are not showing any signs of adapting, and they have lost any intimidation factor which they may have had as a team of NBA players once the Boomers took them the distance. I would still call them the favorites for the Gold, but it is not a sure thing by any means.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
jptremblay
Rookie
And1: 1,215

Post#22 » by jptremblay » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:53 pm

Mr. E wrote:
Lexluthor wrote:Basketball is not the # 1 sport in the US . It's football . For a while Baseball was more popular than Basketball.And you mention this country's are missing Parker and Ben Simmons. The U.S. does not have LeBron James or Stephen curry . And Spain is just soft. A front court of Gasol and Mirotic is leading you know where .

As someone who is a basketball fan first and foremost, I'd have to say that baseball is still ahead of basketball in the United States in terms of overall popularity. Basketball is #3, but a very solid #3. Football is so far ahead of both of them, though.

As for the thread question: yes, this United States team can lose this tournament. They are not showing any signs of adapting, and they have lost any intimidation factor which they may have had as a team of NBA players once the Boomers took them the distance. I would still call them the favorites for the Gold, but it is not a sure thing by any means.

I think that Basketball has surpased Baseball recently, but it's still close.
And for Lexluthor, I just can´t take serious an american guy that put excuses like "we don´t have Lebron or Curry" when they have also other 25-30 all-stars quality players, while Spain, France or Australia have being generous 1 per team, and they are near the mid 30s...so if Spain or Australia lose 1 key player, it's like if the 2000 Lakers lose one of Shaq or kobe, or like if the Spurs lost Robinson or Duncan in the 1999 finals...
So please, be serious.
When this account gets more "And1"s than posts written ...then my life will be complete. And maybe it will be the right time to hang it up. (Achieved on 2017-2018 season)...but still here.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,242

Post#23 » by LLJ » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:01 pm

I may be wrong, but I think baseball ratings are still higher than basketball in the US. Pretty sure the only time basketball and baseball were on equal level may have been the Jordan era.

The cultural-racial divide when it comes to basketball cannot be underestimated. Baseball doesn't have the same divide.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,568

Post#24 » by bwgood77 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:39 pm

jptremblay wrote:
Mr. E wrote:

I think that Basketball has surpased Baseball recently, but it's still close.
And for Lexluthor, I just can´t take serious an american guy that put excuses like "we don´t have Lebron or Curry" when they have also other 25-30 all-stars quality players, while Spain, France or Australia have being generous 1 per team, and they are near the mid 30s...so if Spain or Australia lose 1 key player, it's like if the 2000 Lakers lose one of Shaq or kobe, or like if the Spurs lost Robinson or Duncan in the 1999 finals...
So please, be serious.

I think for baseball vs basketball it's largely regional. I mean in NY for example, baseball is probably FAR more popular. I think it also comes down to age. I think for the most part, basketball has a lot more younger fans and baseball older ones, so as time goes on basketball will continue to trend up in the U.S.

Football is still king and will remain that way for a long time despite some claiming it is dying. Revenue was still up last year.

I think the U.S. can definitely lose. In fact, I'll be a little surprised if they take gold. This team isn't even real likable to me. Paul George is probably the only player I really like.
Worldwide
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#25 » by Worldwide » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:08 pm

TheOUTLAW wrote:Anyone can lose in a single elimination tournament. But fact is, they haven't had a single game where more than one or two people were playing well. These guys flat out need to focus.

I saw this coming. Guys like Jordan, Durant, Green, Cousins etc in a place like Brazil means trouble. Their more worried about uploading their snapchat stories with all the partying and sightseeing their doing rather than focusing their opponents and figuring out what needs to be done to get gold.

'Melo and George seem like the only ones with their head on straight. Such a shame, I bet Melo wishes he had his boys LeBron, Wade and CP3 here to help him with this mess of a roster.
Lexluthor
Rookie
And1: 405

Post#26 » by Lexluthor » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:13 pm

[quote="LLJ"]I may be wrong, but I think baseball ratings are still higher than basketball in the US. Pretty sure the only time basketball and baseball were on equal level may have been the Jordan era.

The cultural-racial divide when it comes to basketball cannot be underestimated. Baseball doesn't have the same divide.[/quote

Ratings wise Nba has surpassed Mlb ratings when LeBron joined the Heat .
Lexluthor
Rookie

Post#27 » by Lexluthor » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:46 am

Mr. E wrote:

Ratings wise they already surpassed MLB. The reason why Attendence is higher in Baseball is because the stadiums are bigger
California Gold
Starter
And1: 2,721

Post#28 » by California Gold » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:12 am

Lexluthor wrote:
Mr. E wrote:

Ratings wise they already surpassed MLB. The reason why Attendence is higher in Baseball is because the stadiums are bigger

Based on what? Care to provide a link?

This link is from last year but nothing has changed dramatically from last year and this year.

http://www.businessinsider.com/major-league-baseball-nba-popularity-2015-2

Baseball is still quite a bit ahead of basketball in terms of popularity in the U.S. It's going to stay that way for a while.

Also attendance in baseball is actually not as great as basketball in terms of % of attendance per team for a season though that can be blamed on a number of factors such as having a lot more games, having day games during weekdays, weather, etc.
Lexluthor
Rookie

Post#29 » by Lexluthor » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:57 am

Tv ratings there's your proof . And Basketball has more Mark famous stars.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#30 » by Mr. E » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:03 am

Lexluthor wrote:Tv ratings there's your proof . And Basketball has more Mark famous stars.

You have to be careful just going by certain TV ratings. That kind of data is easy to manipulate to tell the narrative one would want.

I am a baseball fan - love the game; but to me basketball is religion. I'm a Texan who will change the channel from a football game in order to watch pre-season basketball. As much as I'd love basketball to be the #2 sport in the USA right now, I just don't see that you can make the realistic case. Yes, you are right that there are more marketable stars in the NBA, but that isn't a great measure for overall popularity. Casual fans still tend to glom towards baseball, especially when factoring in them playing twice the games as an NBA team.

Basketball's crowning achievement over baseball in the United States actually has nothing to do with the NBA. It is all about the NCAA tournament. The NCAA tournament is easily the biggest event in USA sports after the Super Bowl. But so much of that translates as team loyalty and results and not so much the actual game played.

Globally, Basketball is leaps & bounds ahead of Baseball, so there is that. I just think that it is far too institutionalized in American society to be overcome by some TV ratings or James Harden Taco Bell commercials.

I do love the discussion about the two sports, though.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
Popovich
Pro Prospect
And1: 293

Post#31 » by Popovich » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:42 am

Can they beat same team twice (and) or can they escape Serbia twice?
asdfgh
Lead Assistant
And1: 755

Post#32 » by asdfgh » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:10 am

If Serbia plays the defense they played against Australia this is going to be a big game.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,997

Post#33 » by UcanUwill » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:42 am

I think Spain was one team that actually had a chance. USA is not losing to Serbia, it's all clear now.
TheTrooper
Senior
And1: 550

Post#34 » by TheTrooper » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:50 am

Well at least in the final we might get the answer to the eternal question, who is better Durant or Macvan......
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#35 » by UcanUwill » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:56 am

TheTrooper wrote:Well at least in the final we might get the answer to the eternal question, who is better Durant or Macvan......

Back in the day, Macvan dominated Cousins in Nike Hoop summit
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#36 » by UcanUwill » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:04 am

This is off topic and a cliche question, I know, but what do you think, could USA NON NBA team win gold (or any medal)?

I imagine lineup of :

K. Hynes / B. Dunston
E. Udoh/ A. Randolph / D. Brown
S. Weems / Q. Miller / T. Honneycut
J. Diebler / J. Crawford / J, Fredette
D. Addams / T. RIce
Sir Psycho Sexy
Senior
And1: 502

Post#37 » by Sir Psycho Sexy » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:09 am

TheTrooper wrote:Well at least in the final we might get the answer to the eternal question, who is better Durant or Macvan......

Can you sleep tight Kevin Durant? :lol:
TheTrooper
Senior

Post#38 » by TheTrooper » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:24 am

Sir Psycho Sexy wrote:

:lol:
Vrati konju glavu Macvane (return your head to the horse Macvan) :lol:

Anyways I think I like this one better "vrati najku usta Kalina" (Return Nike your mouth Kalina)
Sir Psycho Sexy
Senior
And1: 502

Post#39 » by Sir Psycho Sexy » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:28 am

TheTrooper wrote:
Sir Psycho Sexy wrote:

Vrati konju glavu Macvane :lol:

Have you seen this?
TheTrooper
Senior

Post#40 » by TheTrooper » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:29 am

Sir Psycho Sexy wrote:
TheTrooper wrote:
Sir Psycho Sexy wrote:Can you sleep tight Kevin Durant? :lol:

Vrati konju glavu Macvane :lol:

Have you seen this?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OMFG Im dying man. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to Olympics