Bolt
68%

Total votes: 173

SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,301

Re: Greather Athlete: Phelps or Bolt 

Post#21 » by SNPA » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:33 am

Bolt has an advantage because running is more a more visual sport than swimming.
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,637

Post#22 » by LikeABosh » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:38 am

Mr. E wrote:I've thought about this and I've gone back and forth, but I'm going to have to go with Phelps.

This is not a slight to Bolt at all. He is unquestionably one of the most amazing physical specimens the human race has produced.

My reasoning for Phelps is as follows: The human body is designed as a bi-pedal organism which lives on land. Running is something that our bodies have specifically evolved to do well. Swimming - while a skill that goes back to primitive ages - is not as natural a movement for the human body. Humans are not designed to be in the water - webbed feet and hands would be biological advantages for a more aquatic-based human life form.

I'm going with Phelps because what he does is not something that comes naturally to humans in my point of view. And on top of that he just does it so much better than any other human out there!

Interesting point. Phelps supposedly also has the largest lung capacity ever (although I don't think it's official)
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 17,018

Post#23 » by Shock Defeat » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:40 am

Edrees wrote:Phelps. Half the human population can't even swim. it's an unreal talent to go that fast.

Which means there’s way less competition for Phelps. Swimming is niche compared to track. There’s a lot of people who never got access to a body of water to swim. Moreover swimming for sport is for well off people.

Bolt is more athletic
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,380

Post#24 » by mademan » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:46 am

Mr. E wrote:I've thought about this and I've gone back and forth, but I'm going to have to go with Phelps.

This is not a slight to Bolt at all. He is unquestionably one of the most amazing physical specimens the human race has produced.

My reasoning for Phelps is as follows: The human body is designed as a bi-pedal organism which lives on land. Running is something that our bodies have specifically evolved to do well. Swimming - while a skill that goes back to primitive ages - is not as natural a movement for the human body. Humans are not designed to be in the water - webbed feet and hands would be biological advantages for a more aquatic-based human life form.

I'm going with Phelps because what he does is not something that comes naturally to humans in my point of view. And on top of that he just does it so much better than any other human out there!

But wouldnt the counter argument be that everybody runs and so Bolt has far more competition. It's pretty likely Bolt is the fastest man alive (or was at one point) because all the fastest runners in the world would usually be found with some exception. How many people in the world even learned to swim? 60%? Maybe? And even within that 60, you'd have to train and practice to realize your full potential.

Everybody that can run, does run, and most people can run. Not everybody swims. Bolt is competing with every man alive but Phelps isnt.
J___Av
Junior
And1: 454

Post#25 » by J___Av » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:47 am

Bolt! The talent pool is so much deeper in his sport.
J___Av
Junior
And1: 454

Post#26 » by J___Av » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:52 am

Kilroy wrote:I thought it was pretty common knowledge that swimming is one of the most all consuming athletic endeavors you can do... Not only that, but Phelps was way more successful...

Its pretty common knowledge that the talent pool in swimming is not even close to the talent pool in track. Its also much easier in swimming to win multiple events. It is MUCH tougher to be Bolt than Phelps
theforumblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,909

Post#27 » by theforumblue » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:56 am

i think phelps is more of a "freak" because his body is like custom-built for swimming, like evolution did it just for fun. bolt's probably the greater athlete still.
screw these absolute garbage refs
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,115

Post#28 » by Lalouie » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:59 am

everyone says phelps had the perfect build for a swimmer.

track wise, carl lewis was a better athlete than bolt

and the decathlon is supposed to crown the "best athlete"

take your pick
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,313

Post#29 » by DCasey91 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:00 am

Anyone that says swimming is harder then running or the comp is harder obviously never took either disciplines seriously.

Try ten laps of a 50m full size pool at full tilt... see if you can even do that to begin with. Heck try 25m
rapstarter
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,371

Post#30 » by rapstarter » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:01 am

J___Av wrote:
Kilroy wrote:I thought it was pretty common knowledge that swimming is one of the most all consuming athletic endeavors you can do... Not only that, but Phelps was way more successful...

Its pretty common knowledge that the talent pool in swimming is not even close to the talent pool in track. Its also much easier in swimming to win multiple events. It is MUCH tougher to be Bolt than Phelps

While I agree with you, it is worth mentioning that Phelps still did something that no other swimmer had come close to doing. The dominance these two displayed over their peers (both contemporary and historic) was absolutely incredible, and we are really missing that star power in this Olympics.
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#31 » by DCasey91 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:05 am

mademan wrote:

But wouldnt the counter argument be that everybody runs and so Bolt has far more competition. It's pretty likely Bolt is the fastest man alive (or was at one point) because all the fastest runners in the world would usually be found with some exception. How many people in the world even learned to swim? 60%? Maybe? And even within that 60, you'd have to train and practice to realize your full potential.

Everybody that can run, does run, and most people can run. Not everybody swims. Bolt is competing with every man alive but Phelps isnt.

Everyone can run that doesn’t mean they can run even close to Bolt at cruise speed lol.

You’re talking about micro sized % of a population on earth lol.

Thorpe for example won a world champs in his undies at 14 breaking world records literally a year later while being an ashmatic. Then media had the gall to criticize a damn swimming suit.

Both really only have five peers or less that can understand them and vice versa. IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD.

It’s like saying well there’s people so there’s more genius’s to face. Saying Bolt as having more far my comp is not a grounded statement.

It’s really +- five each way that can understand and have a grasp of what Phelps and Bolt does on a day to day.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,115

Post#32 » by Lalouie » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:06 am

J___Av wrote:Bolt! The talent pool is so much deeper in his sport.

what is this supposed to mean.

does this make serena any lesser a tennis player because there was no consistant #2? no borg to her mcenroe. no frazier to her ali. no evert to her navratilova.

track and swimming are time-based sports. both bolt and phelps raced against time. doesn't matter if they raced against a loaded field or not
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#33 » by DCasey91 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:13 am

Gents both really only have +- five world class top of the top tier competitors. To even be in that group is micro fraction less rare then either Bolt/Phelps. But it’s still as rare as you’re going to get.

People don’t realize how close Thorpe/Popov/Lochte and Powell/Gay is to both. That’s just kind of how it is in the end.

Competition really goes out the window when talking about both. They are racing against the clock moreso.
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#34 » by DCasey91 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:15 am

J___Av wrote:

No it’s not.

There’s nothing “easy” about swimming at all. Try it one day. Ignorance is bliss until you jump in the pool, does the ego for yourself a good balancing out imo.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,240

Post#35 » by God Squad » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:17 am

The competition pool for runners/sprinters is larger than swimming. Not to mention a lot more funds/development of talent in runners/sprinters world wide.
aggo
RealGM
And1: 6,078

Post#36 » by aggo » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:23 am

phelps, and its not close

he dominated nearly every swimming discipline except ultra distance.
beeshma
Starter
And1: 1,802

Post#37 » by beeshma » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:38 am

Maxthirty wrote:
beeshma wrote:I'll answer who is the better athlete, by answering whose accomplishments matter more to people.

You’re talking about fame, not athletic talent. Those things are irrelevant when evaluating talent.

The title of this thread is "Greater Athlete: Phelps or Bolt."
I am defining athlete in its broader and MUCH more important sense.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,757

Post#38 » by Tor_Raps » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:40 am

I'll take the dude who performs on land instead of the water. Maybe the Sea World people prefer Phelps but for me Running > Swimming.
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 17,018

Post#39 » by Shock Defeat » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:48 am

Lalouie wrote:
J___Av wrote:Bolt! The talent pool is so much deeper in his sport.

what is this supposed to mean.

does this make serena any lesser a tennis player because there was no consistant #2? no borg to her mcenroe. no frazier to her ali. no evert to her navratilova.

track and swimming are time-based sports. both bolt and phelps raced against time. doesn't matter if they raced against a loaded field or not

Except gold medals are what a lot of people point to with Phelps greatness, so his competition matters a ton.

As for time, Phelps only has one current world record not counting relays. Bolt still has 3. No one cares about swimming world records because they get broken all the time.
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#40 » by DCasey91 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:52 am

People talking about competition have got it all wrong.

Both are going against the clock not their competitors . Their peers alone are of the highest world class rarity too. Legit +- five each way for both Phelps and Bolt in the whole world of billions of men.

Lol at the competition statement. We aren’t talking rec league races.

High level swimming harder then high level sprinting. Especially on a variety of styles that Phelps achieved and then some. Do people even know who the second best gold medal winner is for men?

Phelps is basically a country level medal winner on totals by himself lol

Return to Olympics