Basketball - Semifinals Aug. 18/19

donkki
Assistant Coach
And1: 584

Re: Basketball - Semifinals Aug. 18/19 

Post#261 » by donkki » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:11 am

wizfactor94 wrote:Jimmy Butler would not average over 10 points in euroleague

Seriously, what is wrong with Butler? He has been awful all tournament.
donkki
Assistant Coach

Post#262 » by donkki » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:18 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:This is one of my favorite things about the Olympics/World Cup -- using a handful of games every other summer as a referendum on the state of the NBA/U.S. basketball.

As I said a few days ago in another thread, you want a referendum? Nando De Colo was just EuroLeague MVP.

Nando De Colo.

Nando de Colo was ridiculously good all year, but in this tournament he has really stunk it up. But all year he played like Euro-version of Klay Thompson.
donkki
Assistant Coach

Post#263 » by donkki » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:20 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:CSKA Moscow just won the Euro title with two Americans playing key roles who I have literally never heard of, Kyle Hines and Cory Higgins. Granted, I barely follow college basketball. But given that they went to Colorado and UNC-Greensboro -- not exactly hoops hotbeds -- they wouldn't seem to be prime prospects. And they can go over the Europe and thrive. Yet somehow players like Paul George, Jimmy Butler and Draymond Green would struggle. OK...

You should watch more Euroleague, then you would know both Kyle Hines and Cory Higgins are role players at best. Both very good role players though. Both give 100% effort on defense every game.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 41,043

Post#264 » by Sedale Threatt » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:55 am

donkki wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:This is one of my favorite things about the Olympics/World Cup -- using a handful of games every other summer as a referendum on the state of the NBA/U.S. basketball.

As I said a few days ago in another thread, you want a referendum? Nando De Colo was just EuroLeague MVP.

Nando De Colo.

Nando de Colo was ridiculously good all year, but in this tournament he has really stunk it up. But all year he played like Euro-version of Klay Thompson.

Apologize for this as you seem like a good dude, but this tells me all I need to know about the level of competition in Europe.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,729

Post#265 » by Pachinko_ » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:07 am

Well, shame. I love FIBA rules and international competition, but the tournament desperately needs a more even distribution of talent to stay interesting.

Sadly USA is still 3 steps ahead of the world in basketball, and their half-assed effort at a national team seems enough to win them gold again. Good for them of course, but bad for the tournament. I don't care who wins it but I want the Americans to bring their absolute best, and everybody else to be better than they are now.

Serbia? Whatever happens tomorrow they deserve a tonne of respect. Such a small nation with poor infrastructure and funding, and somehow they are always between very good and dominant in basketball, water polo, volleyball, tennis, handball, football (soccer), pretty much anything with a round ball. These people live and breathe sports.
BigtimeNBAfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,960

Post#266 » by BigtimeNBAfan » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:12 am

One win away from 3 straight perfect Olympics which obviously includes 3 Gold Medals. Sandwiched in between are 2 World Cup of Basketball Gold Medals. Very impressive considering the state of USA basketball in the 5 years following Sydney. People don't realize it is not going to be easy. Gone our the days where US is going to win every game by a minimum of 30 points. USA does not always send its very best. Out of the top 15 players in the NBA, how many are playing in the Olympics? Only a few. 2020 will be tougher with the rise of Australia plus Canada having a team that will be full of NBA talent including Wiggins who will be an all nba player by then. These Gold Medals should not be taken for granted. Spain has been a challenge over the past 4 Olympics, but the future will be much tougher.

Enjoy the ride and enjoy the wins. Some people just use USA basketball to complain. Not as much on here, but in the real world I hear how they are spoiled millionaires and we should be sending a team of college athletes. Then on the other hand I hear people constantly whining when they don't blow everybody out. I also don't like how Melo and others are criticized for saying a Gold Medal is more important than a NBA title. Is it a dumb comment? Yeah, but think of where he is saying it. He is saying it while playing for Team USA in the Olympics when he could be at home resting. Same with Deandre. I appreciate the Olympians and those that play in the World Cup of Basketball. They go against the tired line of them being spoiled and what Melo and Deandre said also goes against the whole "they don't really care that much" crap you hear from some people.

Thanks Team USA. I am with you guys 100% and will be cheering for you to bring back another Gold!
DWadeno3
RealGM
And1: 2,941

Post#267 » by DWadeno3 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:26 am

wizfactor94 wrote:
DWadeno3 wrote:I've been critical of our national team as well, but the lengths some people go to in order to discredit us reaching the final is ridiculous.

That is how YOU SEE IT, because you are an emotional person.

Nobody is discrediting the US. You can pick and choose. The US has looked average, or the teams of other nations are scared of them anymore, and also have greatly learned more skills and have gotten better.

Either way my point is about the style of play.

I'm hardly emotional. People have accused us of doping and receiving preferential treatment from the referees without providing any hard evidence. That is the ridiculous part.

To be honest posts such as yours are irrelevant to me, it is just crying. This team is beatable no doubt about it, but we've made it to the final yet again. I care little about how we make it as long as we keep winning WCs and gold medals.

The reality of it is, we have hardly sent out our best guys and even if we do, there are very talented players from many countries, hence in a team sport, anything can happen.

#HeatLifer
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,276

Post#268 » by brutalitops » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:27 am

Errrm.

There is a lot of players in the Euro leagues who could make it in the NBA. Its pretty clearly the case. Examples like Ingles where he could sit at the end of the bench earing under 1m per season or play in europe for 6 times the amount tax free while being second off the bench. Or giys who can be closer to home.cmade a great living doing what they love. A lot of players prefer that. It doesnt mean they are too **** not to be in the NBA. When you can earn more money and still be a professional you understand why a few players never take the gamble. Infact nowdays you have players basically saying they will not sign for NBA teams if they are stashed since it will effect their contract earning possibility in europe
Dynamix
Starter
And1: 2,310

Post#269 » by Dynamix » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:19 am

Damn, was really pulling for Australia to make it to the final, but I guess Serbia was just the better team. Hope the aussies regain their focus and at least get the bronze. They really should have something to show for after a very impressive tournament.

Didn't get a chance to watch all of Serbia's games, but they seem like a decent threat for the US. At the very least they should stay within a few possessions until the very end, I'm sure that no one wants a boring final.
donkki
Assistant Coach

Post#270 » by donkki » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:52 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:
donkki wrote:

Nando De Colo.

Apologize for this as you seem like a good dude, but this tells me all I need to know about the level of competition in Europe.

I'm not exactly sure you are implying here, but what I was trying to say is that Nando de Colo had a perfect year with CSKA Moscow, being on fire most of the time. I believe the Klay Thompson comparison is a pretty good one, considering Klay has been playing like Team USA MVP in this tournament making shot after shot. Just like de Colo last year.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,009

Post#271 » by UcanUwill » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:30 am

donkki wrote:

I have no idea how this guy averaged 20 points in the NBA. Guy looks awful.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,009

Post#272 » by UcanUwill » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:32 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:
donkki wrote:

Nando De Colo.

Well, of course European competition is not very good when compared to NBA. But De Colo is good, guy has been clear cut leader of France National team for 2 straight years now, a team that is filled with NBA talent top to bottom.
element
Sophomore
And1: 38

Post#273 » by element » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:24 am

Salieri wrote:Holy crap, the amount of whining and deflecting is astounding. A list of the excuses I've seen so far:

-Refs were on USA side (laughably wrong, refs called a tight game with better eyesight than the average NBA ref. Techs ruined the game for both teams, not just Spain)
-Steroids and other PED's (very serious accusation with no basis whatsoever, reeks of soreness)
-Large population (unlike China or India, you mean? LOL)
-USA wins solely by physical dominance and depth (well, they are two fundamental traits of a good basketball team, it's not like that is cheating or anything)

I am spanish and I'm not ashamed to say I am super proud of these guys' effort today. Losing by 6 to any USA team is quite the achievement, especially when our best players are past their prime or chronically injured. No shame in admitting USA is a better team. Damn, there were times today when their 3 was taller than our 5, and their 5 was more agile than our 3. Now add the talent they have and I'm amazed we made it a game. Huge props to our coach Scariolo and the players, they played their hearts out today.

What people tend to forget is that there are very few examples, if any, of this kind of dominance in any team related sport. USA in basketball is not comparable to Brazil in football. Put together Brazil, Argentina and Germany and then you're approaching the level of dominance/accolades USA can brag about in basketball. What are you gonna do against such powerhouse? Well, not quitting is all you can ask for, and that's what I saw today. Congrats to USA and best of luck to Serbia in the final.

+1

I feel proud too even when the team could have done better, as it happened today. Team USA won fair and square, Spain couldn't overcome the height difference and lost the boards completely. Now is time to fight for bronze and leave the tournament with a good feeling.
salmon
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#274 » by salmon » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:28 am

Dellavadova>>>>> Rubio
bb22
Starter
And1: 1,001

Post#275 » by bb22 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:40 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
donkki wrote:

I have no idea how this guy averaged 20 points in the NBA. Guy looks awful.

Almost every play is run through him with the Bulls. So that helps. He's had 2 good offensive games in Rio when he was attacking the rim and not stopping and fading like he's scared of contact.
90sgoat
Bench Warmer
And1: 401

Post#276 » by 90sgoat » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:36 pm

Butler like many other NBA players is good one on one, on both defense and offense. In Chicago he more or less drove Pau out of town by refusing to pass him the ball in the post.
90sgoat
Bench Warmer
And1: 401

Post#277 » by 90sgoat » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:37 pm

When team USA is sending their guys, their not sending their best, they're sending chuckers, they're sending primadonnas, and some I assume - are good people.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,895

Post#278 » by NZB2323 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:30 pm

90sgoat wrote:Butler like many other NBA players is good one on one, on both defense and offense. In Chicago he more or less drove Pau out of town by refusing to pass him the ball in the post.

Are you serious? Butler and Pau had great chemistry together, as Pau would throw Butler 1 alley oop per game, and Butler would give Pau the ball in the post a lot. Pau leaving had a lot more to do with him wanting to win a championship and play with the Spurs.
chudak
Senior
And1: 303

Post#279 » by chudak » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:38 pm

Serbia is playing against France for the bronze right now. Interesting thing that USA, Serbia and Spain are in top 4 in both male and female competition
Salieri
Analyst
And1: 7,498

Post#280 » by Salieri » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:52 pm

90sgoat wrote:Butler like many other NBA players is good one on one, on both defense and offense. In Chicago he more or less drove Pau out of town by refusing to pass him the ball in the post.

Did you even bother to watch one single Bulls game? Because the only resemblance of chemistry they had was the 1-2 punch with Butler and Pau, Rose and Pau's pick and pop being a distant second (too predictable, too reliant on Pau having a good shooting night).

Not only he didn't drive Pau out of town, I'm fairly sure Butler was Pau's fav player on the Bulls roster, and Gasol displayed that appreciation plenty of times, whether it was in game or during press conferences. C'mon, man, no need to make up stuff to bash a great player who for some reason is having a subpar tournament.

Return to Olympics