Re: Basketball - Medal Round - Aug. 20/21 

Post#241 » by Rich Rane » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:45 pm

Read on Twitter
NeoWarriors
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,324

Post#242 » by NeoWarriors » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:49 pm

Too bad there were no confetti cannons so Klay could make confetti angels.
Popovich
Pro Prospect
And1: 293

Post#243 » by Popovich » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:56 pm

DWadeno3 wrote:
Popovich wrote:Congrats to USA fans, USA team really kept best for the end like they always do. It was obvious that Serbia did not had enough strength in legs after that performance in semis. But there are no excuses USA is much, much better team in all areas. Congratulation to my team of Serbia, i think we could do better today, they are second on the world they proved this fact yet again. Too bad for such bad game of Bogdanovic, he really did not showed his stroke, he had many open looks.

I've always wondered why Teodosic never tried his luck in the NBA. Perhaps I'm exaggerating things, but with his skills and incredible creativity, he could be a heck of a player.

EDIT: I also think you could've done better, but ultimately our depth played a large factor in these Olympics as well. We could always rotate, had different players who were producing and ultimately had one of the best in Kevin Durant who had one of those games. It's hard to stop that.

He is a great offensive player and in top 5 passers in the world but his defense is really below average to say at least. He is capable of doing some team D nicely but there is no much of that in NBA. He has slow feat and first step allowed(before player drop the ball) in NBA would hurt him for sure, on the other and he would be better protected as a shooter in NBA. I think he wants to try NBA he is interested in some teams I think Utah or San Antonio are best choices for him. He has been scouted by Memphis tho.
teerfour+40LG
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,129

Post#244 » by teerfour+40LG » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:03 pm

Congrats to Cousins, olympic gold medalist!
Mich3006
Head Coach
And1: 3,682

Post#245 » by Mich3006 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:04 pm

:lol: What said Melo in the huddle though
bb22
Starter
And1: 1,001

Post#246 » by bb22 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:05 pm

DWadeno3 wrote:
bb22 wrote:What happened to those euro fundamentals?

I'm not gonna discredit their players. Jokic is gonna be a force in the NBA, Teodosic could be very good as well and Spain gave us a tough game until the end, even against our best squads in '08 and '12. The talent in the rest of the world is real, which makes it all the worse when people feel the need to point out how poor we are.

Our players are plenty fundamentally sound, but since European players are as well, we need some other edge and that is our strength and athleticism.

We've had plenty of games where hustle and grit were key components of our victories, our teams are no longer above doing the dirty work.

People simply choose to look beyond that.

There was a discussion earlier this week about how NBA players lack fundamentals. I say "hustle and grit" are fundamentals, as well. So are all those hours in the gym working towards being physically dominant.
DWadeno3
RealGM
And1: 2,941

Post#247 » by DWadeno3 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:07 pm

Popovich wrote:
DWadeno3 wrote:
Popovich wrote:Congrats to USA fans, USA team really kept best for the end like they always do. It was obvious that Serbia did not had enough strength in legs after that performance in semis. But there are no excuses USA is much, much better team in all areas. Congratulation to my team of Serbia, i think we could do better today, they are second on the world they proved this fact yet again. Too bad for such bad game of Bogdanovic, he really did not showed his stroke, he had many open looks.

I've always wondered why Teodosic never tried his luck in the NBA. Perhaps I'm exaggerating things, but with his skills and incredible creativity, he could be a heck of a player.

EDIT: I also think you could've done better, but ultimately our depth played a large factor in these Olympics as well. We could always rotate, had different players who were producing and ultimately had one of the best in Kevin Durant who had one of those games. It's hard to stop that.

He is a great offensive player and in top 5 passers in the world but his defense is really below average to say at least. He is capable of doing some team D nicely but there is no much of that in NBA. He has slow feat and first step allowed(before player drop the ball) in NBA would hurt him for sure, on the other and he would be better protected as a shooter in NBA. I think he wants to try NBA he is interested in some teams I think Utah or San Antonio are best choices for him. He has been scouted by Memphis tho.

There are plenty of players in the NBA who aren't exactly great laterally, yet thrive in it. Hell, Kyrie isn't particularly gifted in that regard and a below-average defender, he simply has quick hands. Hell, even Stephen Curry is only average defesively, yet gets protected by Golden State's overall defense.

I think once the important games roll around, there are enough defensive schemes to hide that and Teodosic's offensive production could more than negate his negative defensive impact.

#HeatLifer
umfan83
RealGM
And1: 3,265

Post#248 » by umfan83 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:08 pm

"Dammit I want one of those"
RealGM Bulls Board veteran of the following failed epic battles:
-Kobe (2008)
-Amare (2009)
-Bosh (2010 trade deadline and FA)
-LeBron (2010)
-Wade (2010)
-Melo (2014)
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,568

Post#249 » by bwgood77 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:14 pm

umfan83 wrote:Image

"Dammit I want one of those"

Or he could be thinking "Melo might have a few of those, but I feel bad for him he doesn't have a couple of rings like I do."
VUK1
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#250 » by VUK1 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:15 pm

Congratulations USA! Im also super proud of my Serbs - well done world and olympic silver. Now add Bjelica and Marjanovic and win the Euro next year!!

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
kNicksGmen
Analyst
And1: 495

Post#251 » by kNicksGmen » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:44 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
Read on Twitter

Wish there was a minus 1 button
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,894

Post#252 » by Rich Rane » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:48 pm

kNicksGmen wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
Read on Twitter

Wish there was a minus 1 button

Wish there was a Lighten Up button.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 41,044

Post#253 » by Sedale Threatt » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:59 pm

DeMarcus -- "Vlade Divac talked trash to me after the first game. He was real quiet today."
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#254 » by Sedale Threatt » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:06 pm

The Realist wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:
DWadeno3 wrote:
For all your talk about the 90s being more physical, you now say we were allowed to defend without fouling? That's pure comedy.

The hypocrisy, inconsistency and sheer ignorance -- more stereotypes, please! -- from this dude over the past couple of weeks has been astounding.

Well he has the same moniker than a horrible poster in Insidehoops even for its standards, so there's some reference if it's the same person. Based on his name, can you guess what his problem might be since say late June? :wink:

This dude is amazing...

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=412906
90sgoat
Bench Warmer
And1: 401

Post#255 » by 90sgoat » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:21 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
The Realist wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:
The hypocrisy, inconsistency and sheer ignorance -- more stereotypes, please! -- from this dude over the past couple of weeks has been astounding.

Well he has the same moniker than a horrible poster in Insidehoops even for its standards, so there's some reference if it's the same person. Based on his name, can you guess what his problem might be since say late June? :wink:

This dude is amazing...

Wow, cross forum stalking, that's a new low :crazy:
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#256 » by Sedale Threatt » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:41 pm

90sgoat wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:
The Realist wrote:

This dude is amazing...

Wow, cross forum stalking, that's a new low :crazy:

What can I say, I find your foolishness bizarrely compelling...
Sabas11
Senior
And1: 385

Post#257 » by Sabas11 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:09 pm

I still think that Spain was the 2nd best team of the tournament. After that, with a lot of their good guys retiring? Yes, I think Serbia probably takes their place.

Congratulations to Serbia and their fans on getting the silver, it's well deserved. It's always a pleasure to see them play, how they use their depth, how each of their player seemingly knows their role perfectly. I wish my team (France) had the same identity, they would probably have better results.

Congratulations to the US too. I had some hope after the 1st round that they would actually be threatened this time, but they really turned it up in the knockout stage. It is so frustrating to expect a good fight only to see each of their great players taking turns crushing your soul. One game it's Irving demolishing defenses, the next one you have Jordan/Cousins manhandling dudes, and then it's Durant/Thompson making 3's like they're layups. It feels so unfair lol.
Benedict_Boozer
RealGM
And1: 5,726

Post#258 » by Benedict_Boozer » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:38 pm

Props to Serbia - I like their team and players. Overall classy fan base too.

I'd take Tedosic on my squad any day, guy has a feel for the game.

Proud of all our guys getting it done, they fought for it this go round.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
90sgoat
Bench Warmer
And1: 401

Post#259 » by 90sgoat » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:52 pm

Teodosic is essentially much like Steve Nash in playing style. He should be taller though. I have no doubt Teodosic would kill it in the NBA on a team like the Spurs.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 11,960

Post#260 » by Chuck Everett » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:09 am

Serbia has some ballers (but we knew this already as this is decades long now). The Americans rooting against Team USA will have to crawl back into their holes until 2019 I suppose, but whatever. I get it, for all the flack Coach K has gotten, dude has literally lost a single game as Team USA coach. Hard to argue with the man's record. 61-1. And if Kobe would've played in 2006, he would have gone 62-0.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."

Return to Olympics