Tokyo Olympic Basketball Tournament Discussion

syntax
Sixth Man
And1: 651

Re: Tokyo Olympic Basketball Tournament Discussion 

Post#4081 » by syntax » Sat Aug 7, 2021 1:16 pm

GroundBound wrote:Dante Exum's 4th quarter was impressive. Defensive plays, knocking down shots right as the game was getting tight. He was pretty much the player Quin Snyder wanted him to be! :lol:

Exum really stepped up. Luka couldn't guard him and everyone knew it. This is the Exum we all thought he could be.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,313

Post#4082 » by DCasey91 » Sat Aug 7, 2021 1:28 pm

Phreak50 wrote:Basketball is the 5th, possibly 6th most popular sport in Australia. It's incredible what the team has achieved for the last decade and a real reward today for the team.

AFL
Cricket
Rugby
Soccer
Swimming
Tennis
Golf
Netball

And a crap ton others.

But essentially if any sport is even a little popular most of the time there’ll be a random Aussie or more then a few who are elite. Sports mad country is an understatement. We are basically USA without the hugely bigger pool to pick from with a lot more swearing lol built different. It’s definitely the water and the food (ironic because we’re the least fertile ground outside of the poles lol).

But there’s something magical in the water and the food we have.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,899

Post#4083 » by Diop » Sat Aug 7, 2021 1:29 pm

So much heart in this Aussie team, I’m glad Simmons wasn’t here for this.

Go practice your free throws you ****
EmperorLocky
Sixth Man
And1: 3,121

Post#4084 » by EmperorLocky » Sat Aug 7, 2021 1:31 pm

Watching Andrew Gaze right now becoming emotional and proud is making me emotional. I think this has become my most favourite medal ever. Decades of hard work to finally make it. Such a great team culture built in the Boomers team.
kcbworth
Freshman
And1: 52

Post#4085 » by kcbworth » Sat Aug 7, 2021 1:33 pm

Just saw Pop with the biggest longest hug for Patty. Not sure if thats for the medal, for the spurs, for his career. Who knows. But was nice

Also KD came and put his arm around Patty. Probably a welcome to Nets but maybe just 2 greats showing respect
toshiro_mifune
Freshman
And1: 101

Post#4086 » by toshiro_mifune » Sat Aug 7, 2021 1:36 pm

AussieCeltic wrote:I hope Simmons watches this Patty Mills interview and takes something away from it. This guy is beloved by all Australians and just an inspiration.

Simmons could be that guy but he choose not to be. The Olympics could’ve really helped his image.

I agree and I reckon the olympics would have helped simmons with more than just his image. he would have seen leadership he could aspire to emulate through mills and ingles, he would have had the emotional support of acceptance (look at how matisse was embraced), and he would have had a small moment to get out of the nba focused bubble he has been in since before college. the guy doesn’t need more basketball practice, he needs. onfidence in himself.
QPR
Veteran
And1: 3,842

Post#4087 » by QPR » Sat Aug 7, 2021 1:39 pm

EmperorLocky wrote:Watching Andrew Gaze right now becoming emotional and proud is making me emotional. I think this has become my most favourite medal ever. Decades of hard work to finally make it. Such a great team culture built in the Boomers team.

There's something special about Goorjian teams - he cultivates such an unselfish culture where everyone buys in and everyone plays hard at both ends.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#4088 » by Diop » Sat Aug 7, 2021 1:44 pm

[tweet][/tweet]
QPR wrote:
EmperorLocky wrote:Watching Andrew Gaze right now becoming emotional and proud is making me emotional. I think this has become my most favourite medal ever. Decades of hard work to finally make it. Such a great team culture built in the Boomers team.

There's something special about Goorjian teams - he cultivates such an unselfish culture where everyone buys in and everyone plays hard at both ends.

I think that’s been the boomers style for a while now
Jazztop
Sixth Man
And1: 1,573

Post#4089 » by Jazztop » Sat Aug 7, 2021 1:45 pm

Wow - Mills stepped up to such a high level here. Brooklyn has to be happy they’ve locked him down for 2 years. Perfect backup to Kyrie and Harden and they could play alot together too.

Two consecutive FIBA games with everything on the line and Doncic **** the bed again. Said that a gold medal was more important than anything and he can’t get a bronze. 8 TOs and all he did was a couple of desperation step-backs in the 4th when the game was pretty much out of reach. Exum and Thybulle locking him up and going at him on offense. Then the whining and the techs on top. The guys an embarrassment to Slovenia.
GeorgeSears
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,458

Post#4090 » by GeorgeSears » Sat Aug 7, 2021 1:57 pm

Luka leaves the Olympics empty handed and enters the NBA season again as the same player as last year with an inconsistent 3pt shot, poor FT shooting and conditioning.

It'll likely be a frustrating season for the Mavs, again.
Branduil
Rookie
And1: 343

Post#4091 » by Branduil » Sat Aug 7, 2021 2:11 pm

Jazztop wrote:Wow - Mills stepped up to such a high level here. Brooklyn has to be happy they’ve locked him down for 2 years. Perfect backup to Kyrie and Harden and they could play alot together too.

Two consecutive FIBA games with everything on the line and Doncic **** the bed again. Said that a gold medal was more important than anything and he can’t get a bronze. 8 TOs and all he did was a couple of desperation step-backs in the 4th when the game was pretty much out of reach. Exum and Thybulle locking him up and going at him on offense. Then the whining and the techs on top. The guys an embarrassment to Slovenia.

LOL yeah I'm sure Slovenia is beyond embarrassed that their nation of 2 million people is top 4 in the world. You nailed it.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,101

Post#4092 » by HMFFL » Sat Aug 7, 2021 2:18 pm

Congratulations to Kevin Durant for being the only player to ever average 20ppg in the Olympics.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
kcbworth
Freshman

Post#4093 » by kcbworth » Sat Aug 7, 2021 2:20 pm

HMFFL wrote:Congratulations to Kevin Durant for being the only player to ever average 20ppg in the Olympics.
[/url]

I just checked https://www.fiba.basketball/olympics/men/2020/playerstats and 7 players averaged higher than him ???

With Patty Mills up top
syntax
Sixth Man
And1: 651

Post#4094 » by syntax » Sat Aug 7, 2021 2:21 pm

HMFFL wrote:Congratulations to Kevin Durant for being the only player to ever average 20ppg in the Olympics.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

lol Patty Mills avg 27ppg this Olympics
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,067

Post#4095 » by Archx » Sat Aug 7, 2021 2:27 pm

Jazztop wrote:Wow - Mills stepped up to such a high level here. Brooklyn has to be happy they’ve locked him down for 2 years. Perfect backup to Kyrie and Harden and they could play alot together too.

How the hell do you know what Slovenians think of him? It took entire French team with NBA players and Australian team with multiple NBA players, to defeat a nation of 2M people, who had 1 NBA starter. Luka did everything he could at age 22. We can't fault him for being completely burned out and exhausted, our country did best they could.

We congratulated France and Australia for a well deserved wins and medals, yet people like you make it 10x worse with your idiotic trolling. Grow up.
kcbworth
Freshman

Post#4096 » by kcbworth » Sat Aug 7, 2021 2:30 pm

Thybulle finishes the tournament with nearly twice as many steals as anyone else off not that many minutes even.

This guy is going to dominate defence his whole career
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,619

Post#4097 » by Bergmaniac » Sat Aug 7, 2021 2:42 pm

The Luka haters are really closing the gap to the LeBron haters for the title of dumbest and most obsessed haters on this board.
ILikeLollies
Junior
And1: 221

Post#4098 » by ILikeLollies » Sat Aug 7, 2021 2:48 pm

Patty Mills and Kyrie are going to bff by halfway through next season
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#4099 » by Diop » Sat Aug 7, 2021 2:48 pm

Luka raised whinging to a new level today, epic dummy spit
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,784

Post#4100 » by LordCovington33 » Sat Aug 7, 2021 3:09 pm

EmperorLocky wrote:It was almost fitting. Gold and silver are obviously the bigger results but after going 0 for 4 in bronze medal games chasing our first medal it seems fitting it was setup again for that do or die moment.

And they all responded and Patty Mills imo just dethroned the great Andrew Gaze as Australia's greatest ever.

I love Patty Mills, but Andrew Gaze will always be the king to me.

Return to Olympics