Tokyo Olympic Basketball Tournament Discussion

GeorgeSears
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,458

Re: Tokyo Olympic Basketball Tournament Discussion 

Post#4121 » by GeorgeSears » Sat Aug 7, 2021 8:18 pm

Bergmaniac wrote:The Luka haters are really closing the gap to the LeBron haters for the title of dumbest and most obsessed haters on this board.

Not hating, but he really didn't have to play for Slovenia this year. There's another Olympics 3 years down the line, and world championships in 2 years.

Coming off two condensed seasons Luka had an opportunity to rest and work on parts of his game that really need improvement: Conditioning & shooting.

He ended the Olympics without a medal. Now he'll need to take his rest before the season starts without having time to work on his game.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,928

Post#4122 » by JasonStern » Sat Aug 7, 2021 8:49 pm

Sports Media wrote:The days of Team USA Basketball showing up with some "B-team" roster and expecting to win gold are over.

"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
Jzh
Freshman
And1: 105

Post#4123 » by Jzh » Sat Aug 7, 2021 9:12 pm

GeorgeSears wrote:
Bergmaniac wrote:The Luka haters are really closing the gap to the LeBron haters for the title of dumbest and most obsessed haters on this board.

Not hating, but he really didn't have to play for Slovenia this year. There's another Olympics 3 years down the line, and world championships in 2 years.

Coming off two condensed seasons Luka had an opportunity to rest and work on parts of his game that really need improvement: Conditioning & shooting.

He ended the Olympics without a medal. Now he'll need to take his rest before the season starts without having time to work on his game.

You do realize only the US are a lock for each Olympics (and maybe Australia) ? Sure Slovenia was 17-0 before their semi-final but he may never have this opportunity again. There are only two direct tickets in Europe for the Olympics and then the remaining ones are through the qualifiers tournaments. As good as he is, he still relies on a decent supporting cast which is not guaranteed when you have a 2M population.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,533

Post#4124 » by ibraheim718 » Sat Aug 7, 2021 9:34 pm

Couldn't even beat the b team. Lol

Send the college kids again... It'll be more entertaining and worthwhile for us.
falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 6,013

Post#4125 » by falcolombardi » Sat Aug 7, 2021 10:09 pm

Jzh wrote:
GeorgeSears wrote:

You do realize only the US are a lock for each Olympics (and maybe Australia) ? Sure Slovenia was 17-0 before their semi-final but he may never have this opportunity again. There are only two direct tickets in Europe for the Olympics and then the remaining ones are through the qualifiers tournaments. As good as he is, he still relies on a decent supporting cast which is not guaranteed when you have a 2M population.

also you never know when a injury will make you miss a Olympics and they only happen every 4 years
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,303

Post#4126 » by lambchop » Sat Aug 7, 2021 11:15 pm

ibraheim718 wrote:Couldn't even beat the b team. Lol

Send the college kids again... It'll be more entertaining and worthwhile for us.

Facts bro. I remember last time in 2019 when they sent in the college squad France actually had a chance.

But France only ended up winning cause some of the college students were tired from working on their thesis all night long the night before that game.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
SeniorWalker
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,855
Location: at the event horizon and well on my way in, but you're wondering when i'll get there

Post#4127 » by SeniorWalker » Sat Aug 7, 2021 11:33 pm

Jazztop wrote:Wow - Mills stepped up to such a high level here. Brooklyn has to be happy they’ve locked him down for 2 years. Perfect backup to Kyrie and Harden and they could play alot together too.

Two consecutive FIBA games with everything on the line and Doncic **** the bed again. Said that a gold medal was more important than anything and he can’t get a bronze. 8 TOs and all he did was a couple of desperation step-backs in the 4th when the game was pretty much out of reach. Exum and Thybulle locking him up and going at him on offense. Then the whining and the techs on top. The guys an embarrassment to Slovenia.

I'm a bonafide Luka hater and this is delicious to me. The tears of Luka fans are a delight.

(That said I don't wanna call a young guy an embarrassment to his country, that's going too far. Luka works hard and I'm sure he wanted to win with everything he had in him)

But yeah Luka is a shotjacker and I don't see him getting better next year. He's James Harden 2.0 and will be the same guy with even worse defense going forward. Hate hate hate hate, hate hate hate.

8-)
"And always remember: one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish, knick knack, paddy whack, give a dog a bone, two thousand, zero, zero, party, oops! Out of time, my bacon smellin' fine."
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,796

Post#4128 » by michaelm » Sat Aug 7, 2021 11:39 pm

GeorgeSears wrote:

He chose to play instead of having an off season unlike anyone else of his arguably top 5 (definitely top 10) stature in the NBA except for Durant, and for the country of his birth which has a population of 2 million which afaik has never sniffed being competitive internationally previously, and his team lost by one point to the eventual silver medalists who beat the USA in the preliminary rounds and challenged them in the gold medal game. He deserves praise not blame, he carried that team. Sure he could get fitter, but even if he was fitter he could be excused for being tired and discouraged by the time he got to the bronze medal game having targeted the gold, while winning the bronze was regarded as an epic achievement by the Australian team and their fans and one to which they gave their utmost energy. And perhaps the guy who is one of his few peers deserves some credit for deciding to play for the USA despite his injury history, other achievements and wealth.
SeniorWalker
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,855
Location: at the event horizon and well on my way in, but you're wondering when i'll get there

Post#4129 » by SeniorWalker » Sat Aug 7, 2021 11:39 pm

Ugalde wrote:
Saint Lazarus wrote:I want a live look at all the Luka fanboys having to see his boy come home empty handed

lol luka is still amazing and a top 5 player in the nba. there’s a reason slovenia is called a cinderella story. they’re not supposed to win.

Luka is not top 5 in the NBA. Top 10 I'll give you.
"And always remember: one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish, knick knack, paddy whack, give a dog a bone, two thousand, zero, zero, party, oops! Out of time, my bacon smellin' fine."
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,238

Post#4130 » by LewisnotMiller » Sun Aug 8, 2021 12:06 am

Patty for PM.
Heck, make Thybulle Minister for Defence.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,238

Post#4131 » by LewisnotMiller » Sun Aug 8, 2021 12:08 am

Just also want to shout out to Luka for representing his country and being there in lead ups and the Olympics.
He added to the tournament, and took Slovenia to new heights in basketball.

Australia...of all teams...knows the pain of a fourth placed finish.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#4132 » by Chuck Diesel » Sun Aug 8, 2021 12:11 am

Joel Embiid should pull the ultimate troll move on Simmons and become a naturalized Australian.
The Milwaukee Bucks are NBA Champions.
Jazztop
Sixth Man
And1: 1,573

Post#4133 » by Jazztop » Sun Aug 8, 2021 1:31 am

Branduil wrote:
Jazztop wrote:Wow - Mills stepped up to such a high level here. Brooklyn has to be happy they’ve locked him down for 2 years. Perfect backup to Kyrie and Harden and they could play alot together too.

Two consecutive FIBA games with everything on the line and Doncic **** the bed again. Said that a gold medal was more important than anything and he can’t get a bronze. 8 TOs and all he did was a couple of desperation step-backs in the 4th when the game was pretty much out of reach. Exum and Thybulle locking him up and going at him on offense. Then the whining and the techs on top. The guys an embarrassment to Slovenia.

LOL yeah I'm sure Slovenia is beyond embarrassed that their nation of 2 million people is top 4 in the world. You nailed it.

Didn’t watch the bronze medal game? That’s cool, bruh…
benhillboy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,659

Post#4134 » by benhillboy » Sun Aug 8, 2021 1:31 am

Durant is one of the most overrated players I’ve seen. Gotta give him his flowers though. I rarely enjoy watching him play but his effort and awareness on the defensive end and playmaking was excellent in the last few games. Pop got through to him like no other coach before.
Jazztop
Sixth Man
And1: 1,573

Post#4135 » by Jazztop » Sun Aug 8, 2021 1:34 am

benhillboy wrote:Durant is one of the most overrated players I’ve seen. Gotta give him his flowers though. I rarely enjoy watching him play but his effort and awareness on the defensive end and playmaking was excellent in the last few games. Pop got through to him like no other coach before.

What exactly is overrated about his game? If anything he’s underrated. The fact that people say that he’s “arguably the best player in the world” means that he’s underrated.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 41,047

Post#4136 » by Sedale Threatt » Sun Aug 8, 2021 1:40 am

benhillboy wrote:Durant is one of the most overrated players I’ve seen.

You're crazy.
Ugalde
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,260

Post#4137 » by Ugalde » Sun Aug 8, 2021 2:07 am

SeniorWalker wrote:
Ugalde wrote:
Saint Lazarus wrote:I want a live look at all the Luka fanboys having to see his boy come home empty handed

lol luka is still amazing and a top 5 player in the nba. there’s a reason slovenia is called a cinderella story. they’re not supposed to win.

Luka is not top 5 in the NBA. Top 10 I'll give you.

he's definitely in my top 5.
politics
to many 3s
Alonzo_Morning
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,624

Post#4138 » by Alonzo_Morning » Sun Aug 8, 2021 2:12 am

Australia is gushing over the Boomers right now and that's amazing for basketball in this country

Best bronze of all time
makubesu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,804

Post#4139 » by makubesu » Sun Aug 8, 2021 3:03 am

I can’t help but think that if the US women’s team had the same media scrutiny as the men’s, this board would be in a panic over them only being up 11 at the half to Japan
Joshyjess
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,958

Post#4140 » by Joshyjess » Sun Aug 8, 2021 3:05 am

Wow, what a difference in size between the US women and the Japanese women. Tell you what though, even though they are being physically outplayed, the Japanese women are really good at hitting any shot they manage to get off.

Return to Olympics