Olympic event discussion (non basketball)

Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,115

Re: Olympic current even discussion and discussion of events you enjoy watching 

Post#41 » by Lalouie » Mon Aug 2, 2021 2:35 pm

herbiehancock00 wrote:I started to follow Badminton randomly for the first time this Olympics and holy **** it's such a fast paced and entertaining sport to watch. It's amazing watching it happen on a professional level.

impossible to televize in the old days of pre HD.

now its great
KIRAG
Veteran
And1: 2,544

Post#42 » by KIRAG » Mon Aug 2, 2021 3:55 pm

I never thought I'd enjoy watching fencing but I did

Then the cycling finish for men was wild.

And there are some sports that I didn't know existed before that I now know

I enjoy watching swimming, synchronized diving, most water sports.

Of course basketball
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,784

Post#43 » by LordCovington33 » Mon Aug 2, 2021 4:01 pm

About the swimming choking comment, Australia had a lot of gold medal contenders in both the individual and relay events. The American swimmers never lost them, but the Australians won them. The Australian women’s 4x200m relay team were heavy favourites, but came third. The other teams just did better on the day. Lots of variables came into play. They are not robots. America still topped the gold medal tally in the pool, so they still did very well. No reason to feel disappointed.
GeoBar
Sophomore
And1: 213

Post#44 » by GeoBar » Mon Aug 2, 2021 5:21 pm

Synchronized swimming man.
How can they do this kind of stuff into the water?
Not even fishes can do such things.Amazing!
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,910

Post#45 » by Jasen777 » Mon Aug 2, 2021 6:34 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:This was amazing. Sifan Hassan, who I'd never previously heard of, is trying to win three different women's track races. So she was conserving energy at the back of the pack in her 1500 meter semifinal heat. Early in the bell lap, she fell, then got up and sprinted to enter a pack of 6 who would go on to the finals -- and then, perhaps just for the hell of it or for a better lane, kept charging and actually won her heat.

It was the preliminary, she's still got the semifinals before the finals for the 1500m. And there's no lanes for the 1500 and above. But yes it was very impressive, she's just on a different level even compared to the very best runners.

And now she's won the 5k, which she didn't run at the world championships (where she won the 1500 and 10k). Only question is if she'll have the stamina to complete her 1500/5k/10k triple, which would be one of the greatest feats ever in distance running.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,833

Post#46 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Aug 2, 2021 10:34 pm

Jasen777 wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:This was amazing. Sifan Hassan, who I'd never previously heard of, is trying to win three different women's track races. So she was conserving energy at the back of the pack in her 1500 meter semifinal heat. Early in the bell lap, she fell, then got up and sprinted to enter a pack of 6 who would go on to the finals -- and then, perhaps just for the hell of it or for a better lane, kept charging and actually won her heat.

It was the preliminary, she's still got the semifinals before the finals for the 1500m. And there's no lanes for the 1500 and above. But yes it was very impressive, she's just on a different level even compared to the very best runners.

And now she's won the 5k, which she didn't run at the world championships (where she won the 1500 and 10k). Only question is if she'll have the stamina to complete her 1500/5k/10k triple, which would be one of the greatest feats ever in distance running.

Paavo Nurmi comes to mind, of course. But who else?
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
ellobo
Veteran
And1: 4,493

Post#47 » by ellobo » Mon Aug 2, 2021 11:27 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
Jasen777 wrote:

Emil Zatopek won the 5k, 10k, and Marathon in the 1952 Olympics, setting Olympic records in each event.
Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Yesterday I was lying; today I'm telling the truth.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,481

Post#48 » by Roscoe Sheed » Tue Aug 3, 2021 12:21 am

Anybody know what time the Biles event will occur Pacific time?
DutchManDanFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,807

Post#49 » by DutchManDanFan » Tue Aug 3, 2021 12:56 am

Women 400m hurdles will be a great final. Hopefully Femke Bol can beat the 2 Americans.

The Netherlands only had gold medals on the track in 1948 (legend Fanny Blankers-Koen, with 4x gold), in 1992 and now with Sifan Hassan. The story of Sifan Hassan is special. Her mother put her on a plane from Ethiopia to Europe when she was 15. She lived in a camp for refugees for 8 month, ‘crying every day’. Slowly she started to get her live on track and started running, which she did in Ethiopia but not as an athlete. In 2013 at 20 years of age she failed to get a Dutch passport in time to compete in the World Championships. Later that year she got the passport. She finished 5th in Rio 2016 (1500m), was very disappointed and decided to do everything to not fail again. And here we are. 1 gold down, 2 to go to make history.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,568

Post#50 » by bwgood77 » Tue Aug 3, 2021 1:58 am

Jade Carey of Phoenix with the gold!
Sactowndog
Kings Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 1,715

Post#51 » by Sactowndog » Tue Aug 3, 2021 3:44 am

Perseus1966 wrote:
Sactowndog wrote:Water Polo for me but I’m biased as my son is playing in it.

Usa team?

Yes
Sactowndog
Kings Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 1,715

Post#52 » by Sactowndog » Tue Aug 3, 2021 3:47 am

KIRAG wrote:I never thought I'd enjoy watching fencing but I did

Then the cycling finish for men was wild.

And there are some sports that I didn't know existed before that I now know

I enjoy watching swimming, synchronized diving, most water sports.

Of course basketball

If you like swimming and basketball watch water polo at 10:00 pm Pacific tomorrow. It’s basically a combo of the two with a little ice hockey thrown in.
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,752

Post#53 » by ROballer » Tue Aug 3, 2021 4:18 am

The best race ever in the 400 m hurdles.

In ever I mean not just in that event, but the best race in all of sports that was ever run.

Warholm with 45.94, that's just mind boggling for a hurdles race. Rai with 46.17, he was right there until the final hurdle but you can't say anything to him, that is also a time who you just can't begin to believe it's real.

And that was in a **** morning session at 11 something AM local time. Absolutely ridiculous.

To put it in perspective, the guys at 400 m are struggling to break 44 flat and there's a chance you get a medal with 44.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,910

Post#54 » by Jasen777 » Tue Aug 3, 2021 4:42 am

ellobo wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:
Jasen777 wrote:

Emil Zatopek won the 5k, 10k, and Marathon in the 1952 Olympics, setting Olympic records in each event.

Yes that's comparison people are making, but it's just such a different era. Amatuer athletes still in '52, modern training in it's infancy, and of course different qualification methods - that was Zatopek's first marathon, today he'd never be allowed to enter the Olympic marathon for his first. That makes his feat even more impressive, but also shows that rather poor state of marathoning at the time IMO.
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,367

Post#55 » by Heat3 » Tue Aug 3, 2021 4:51 am

well nbc is just garbage in general for olympic coverage. it's been that way for decades. they have the monopoly on it and so they don't have to innovate. so I haven't been able to catch many events as I'm a cord cutter and their peacock service is crap.

but generally I like watching swimming/track/basketball. after that I'll watch anything. it's cool to see the best in the world compete at what they do. even if I don't pay attention to their sport until next olympics lol
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

Sgt Major
Head Coach
And1: 15,252

Post#56 » by Sgt Major » Tue Aug 3, 2021 4:53 am

Ricky beasting
Det. Frank Pembleton: You know, sometimes you're funny. Then there's now.
art_tatum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,151

Post#57 » by art_tatum » Tue Aug 3, 2021 9:15 pm

Ping pong, dressage, archery, fencing, longjump, throwing, high vault, high dive, trampoline, and volleyball.

Sadly nbc always makes it the swimlympics.
They show the a million swimming competitions and the heats bc the USA is good at it. 95% of the first week was swimming or gymnastics on the main channel.

They need to have less swim events in general. For a realistic track athelete, u get the 100,200,400 and relay if youre amazing.

Swmming u get 50,100,200,400, in Freestyle, Breast,Butterfly, Backstroke, (200+)IM, relay IM, relay free. Thats 20 events a great swimmer can do if the scheduling worked. It doesnt but look at phelps. He racked up so many bc of the number of events.

And nbc show it all plus the heats for men and women.
Wack.
Perseus1966
Veteran
And1: 1,159

Post#58 » by Perseus1966 » Wed Aug 4, 2021 9:13 am

Sactowndog wrote:
Perseus1966 wrote:
Sactowndog wrote:Water Polo for me but I’m biased as my son is playing in it.

Usa team?

Yes

Greece win Crna Gora and advance in 4finals
I want RoLo to be my son in law!
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,833

Post#59 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Aug 4, 2021 6:33 pm

Israel's second gold medalist ever can't marry inside the country due to religious law, and claims to be too busy to implement workarounds. His mother seems more concerned about this than he and his fiancee' are. If you want to discuss this seriously, please take it to Current Affairs.

I'm only posting it because the article makes a great pun, accusing the mother of "gold meddling".

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/2021/08/04/israeli-gymast-not-jewish-enough-to-marry/
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,115

Post#60 » by Lalouie » Thu Aug 5, 2021 7:51 am

4x100

wow. before it was that we couldn't pass the baton. this time around we couldn't pass the baton AND we're slow

Return to Olympics