Pro Prospect
And1: 1,294

Re: Simone Biles 

Post#401 » by Balls Deep » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:08 pm

Pointgod wrote:
Balls Deep wrote:
Little Nathan wrote:
You actually typed this and thought "yeah, this is want I want to post."

Just unbelievable stuff going on this thread. That's probably the worst post I've seen though. Soo...congrats, I guess?

Mental health problems are things like schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, etc. not this ****. Pressure comes with sports. If you can’t handle it then ok, but you shouldn’t be labeled a hero. Also, why didn’t she just pull out before the Olympics? I’ll tell you why, she wanted the attention.

So anxiety and depression aren’t mental health problems? Where exactly did you get your medical degree?

She’s not depressed, and anxiety comes with any kind of pressure. Greatness is overcoming that. Her legacy has taken a huge hit. She’s a great athlete but shouldn’t ever be compared to Olympians like Usain Bolt for example.
13th Man
General Manager
And1: 6,117

Post#402 » by 13th Man » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:08 pm

Little Nathan wrote:
13th Man wrote:
Little Nathan wrote:
Yeah, let's listen to RealGM users who have no idea what they're talking about and keep making up stuff instead!

Hey at least I brought up a bunch of points to substantiate my case, this is a discussion forum after all. What were your points again?

My point is that you didn't bring up any real points to substantiate your case. Because you didn't.

Sorry but I don't see anything that you've stated to refute any of my points. Just saying that it's non existent is not a counter argument.
Doranku
Analyst
And1: 5,929

Post#403 » by Doranku » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:10 pm

Some of ya'll are so dumb lmao comparing this to Ben Simmons. Gymnasts are one small mistake away from life altering injuries when they're performing these complex air routines. Not exactly the same as shooting a free throw or jump shot in a basketball game.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,992

Post#404 » by KembaWalker » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:10 pm

Larry Sanders is the bravest, most heroic player in NBA history
13th Man
General Manager

Post#405 » by 13th Man » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:14 pm

Balls Deep wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
Balls Deep wrote:
Mental health problems are things like schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, etc. not this ****. Pressure comes with sports. If you can’t handle it then ok, but you shouldn’t be labeled a hero. Also, why didn’t she just pull out before the Olympics? I’ll tell you why, she wanted the attention.

So anxiety and depression aren’t mental health problems? Where exactly did you get your medical degree?

She’s not depressed, and anxiety comes with any kind of pressure. Greatness is overcoming that. Her legacy has taken a huge hit. She’s a great athlete but shouldn’t ever be compared to Olympians like Usain Bolt for example.

If my theory/assumption is correct then I'll bet that this will be her last competition and that she will go into retirement. Personally, I don't think that she's able to compete at the expected level anymore so it's not a matter of mental health, more a matter of physical capabilities. As I've stated a few times, her decline started to show at the trials and now at the Olympics that's no accident.

It's nothing to be ashamed of really, she's probably still in the argument of being the GOAT according to her past accomplishments. Just accept reality that she's probably not at that level anymore.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,322

Post#406 » by Statlanta » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:15 pm

F N 11 wrote:Fact is, people arent even qualified for an opinion.

If this is the case than the thread should be locked. Hell the Maverick Carter dating Adele thread should have lasted as long as this one
Read on Twitter
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,558

Post#407 » by Andi Obst » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:15 pm

13th Man wrote:Sorry but I don't see anything that you've stated to refute any of my points. Just saying that it's non existent is not a counter argument.

Oh boy, you don't have an argument. You're making assumptions without having the slightest clue what is going on with Simone Biles and state them as facts.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
ceiling raiser
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,728

Post#408 » by ceiling raiser » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:24 pm

13th Man wrote:I don't think the NBA analogy relates because the scoring is not subjective like it is in judging sports. The true indicator of one's success is the final score and number of championships, not the level of difficulty that one endures to get there.

Success, sure, but perception? Really subjective. Look at Kobe and LeBron, they (rightly or wrongly) chased Jordan's ghost, and were pressured to win with a one man show type of team. Neither was able to fully shake this expectation, even if it was not grounded in reality.
Now that's the difference between first and last place.
13th Man
General Manager

Post#409 » by 13th Man » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:26 pm

Little Nathan wrote:
13th Man wrote:Sorry but I don't see anything that you've stated to refute any of my points. Just saying that it's non existent is not a counter argument.

Oh boy, you don't have an argument. You're making assumptions without having the slightest clue what is going on with Simone Biles and state them as facts.

i stated present facts as well as historical knowledge/data, thus forming my opinion based on these. I'm not publishing a thesis here so I don't really care if I'm no 100% spot on. If you can sway my opinion with some points of your own then I'm all ears.
13th Man
General Manager

Post#410 » by 13th Man » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:31 pm

What I'm learning here is that only medical health experts can have an opinion that's worth anything. Like these professionals can't be biased or lack the understanding of sports psychology.
CoP
Head Coach
And1: 9,462

Post#411 » by CoP » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:35 pm

13th Man wrote:
CoP wrote:
13th Man wrote:
I guess it did because you specifically stated, "That's how we should think of this. Biles didn't quit, she had an injury"

Yep, it did.

Ok, so you're purposely trying to conflate an injury in sports with mental illness. Got it.

Yes, I'm saying that an injury can be mental or physical, and that an injury of either kind could be a legit reason for pulling out of competition. Glad you figured it out.
13th Man
General Manager

Post#412 » by 13th Man » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:44 pm

fpliii wrote:
13th Man wrote:I don't think the NBA analogy relates because the scoring is not subjective like it is in judging sports. The true indicator of one's success is the final score and number of championships, not the level of difficulty that one endures to get there.

Success, sure, but perception? Really subjective. Look at Kobe and LeBron, they (rightly or wrongly) chased Jordan's ghost, and were pressured to win with a one man show type of team. Neither was able to fully shake this expectation, even if it was not grounded in reality.

But why were they chasing the 6 titles? That's because at the end of the day that's what GOATness really comes down to. The number of rings, the number of Super Bowls etc.

So my point is that Simone Biles and her camp should have focused more on what it takes to win more golds than on preserving her image that others have placed on her as being heads and shoulders above everybody else. In my opinion, she is probably still capable of winning had they tuned down the level of difficulty but she wanted this perception to live on to please others such as the media, her sponsors, her peers and her reputation.

It's great to have pride in your abilities but if you make the wrong call the own up to it. Whenever I experience a setback, I always look in the mirror first and ask what could I have done differently to prevent this from happening, not automatically shift blame to other people or entities.
bkseven
Sixth Man
And1: 235

Post#413 » by bkseven » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:45 pm

Meat wrote:
bkseven wrote:
Clay Davis wrote:I was wondering, were such people with the team? It'd make sense to have replacements in case of injury.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using RealGM mobile app

Don’t think so. They were sent home after the qualifying. I’m sure happens… but should be a rare occurrence on the biggest stage

they brought 4 alternates Eaker, Wong, Kayla DiCello and Emma Malabuyo

I see.. were they warmed up and potentially ready to go for the team finals tho or just there in case something happened beforehand:
13th Man
General Manager

Post#414 » by 13th Man » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:48 pm

CoP wrote:
13th Man wrote:
CoP wrote:Yep, it did.

Ok, so you're purposely trying to conflate an injury in sports with mental illness. Got it.

Yes, I'm saying that an injury can be mental or physical, and that an injury of either kind could be a legit reason for pulling out of competition. Glad you figured it out.

Well when you're talking about injuries in sports it usually means of physical nature. Why add more confusion to the matter by representing mental health as an injury?
Andi Obst
General Manager

Post#415 » by Andi Obst » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:49 pm

13th Man wrote:What I'm learning here is that only medical health experts can have an opinion that's worth anything.

Having an opinion and stating opinions as facts are two entirely different things. Having an opinion on someone else's mental health, which you obviously know nothing about, is weird to me. But you do you. When you make up "facts" like "the truth of the matter is that she failed to live up to expectations and simply quit," that's when I have a problem with it.

13th Man
General Manager

Post#416 » by 13th Man » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:54 pm

Little Nathan wrote:
13th Man wrote:What I'm learning here is that only medical health experts can have an opinion that's worth anything.

Having an opinion and stating opinions as facts are two entirely different things. Having an opinion on someone else's mental health, which you obviously know nothing about, is weird to me. But you do you. When you make up "facts" like "the truth of the matter is that she failed to live up to expectations and simply quit," that's when I have a problem with it.

Every single report on this story indicates that she was facing insurmountable expectations and that she is finally choosing herself over the expectations of others.

How is it far fetched for me to assume that she couldn't live up to the expectations of others based on the above?
Andi Obst
General Manager

Post#417 » by Andi Obst » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:57 pm

13th Man wrote:Every single report on this story indicates that she was facing insurmountable expectations and that she is finally choosing herself over the expectations of others.

How is it far fetched for me to assume that she couldn't live up to expectations based on the above?

Marked some keywords for you.

You keep preaching the truth, my man. I'm out.

CallMeKahn
Starter
And1: 1,685

Post#418 » by CallMeKahn » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:02 pm

Love arm chair gymnasts and gold medalists.
daoneandonly wrote:Utah doesnt have anyhting close value wise to get Dallas to even pick up the phone

Said in reference to Utah's trade assets in a potential Doncic deal.
CoP
Head Coach
And1: 9,462

Post#419 » by CoP » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:02 pm

13th Man wrote:
CoP wrote:
13th Man wrote:

Well when you're talking about injuries in sports it usually means of physical nature. Why add more confusion to the matter by representing mental health as an injury?

You may want to consider the possibility that you're the only one who was confused. Anyway, my point stands.
13th Man
General Manager

Post#420 » by 13th Man » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:04 pm

Little Nathan wrote:
13th Man wrote:Every single report on this story indicates that she was facing insurmountable expectations and that she is finally choosing herself over the expectations of others.

How is it far fetched for me to assume that she couldn't live up to expectations based on the above?

Marked some keywords for you.

You keep preaching the truth, my man. I'm out.

I get your point in that I probably shouldn't have stated "The truth is.......", but rather in my opinion (which is still based on what I believe to be facts).

Return to Olympics