Robbed?: post your complaints

Dry_Fish
RealGM
And1: 8,380

Re: Robbed?: post your complaints 

Post#221 » by Dry_Fish » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:55 pm

Nuzzo wrote:
dacher wrote:That makes no sense. Every country with professional police and military have what amounts to professional marksmanship teams --> shooting teams. Every country in the world does weightlifting. .

They shoot with air rifles and pistols in most of the shoot disciplines, actually USA won its 2 golds in the disciplines that were with real rifles.
Weightlifting for fitness and health and weightlifting for OG are two different animals.

You can say this about 95% of all sports. How many people at the gym run for fitness and how many do a 100 meter and pound their chest. It's the nature of the games.

Every country has their sports that nobody plays or very few. Their a reason softball/baseball is getting tossed. The x-sports coming to the Olympic surely are benefiting the U.S. Look at swimming or rowing, it's dominated by rich nations (not a dig against Phelps).
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,483

Post#222 » by Blame Rasho » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:41 pm

What a robbery for Ireland.... just saw the fight again....
Bullsmaniac
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#223 » by Bullsmaniac » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:00 pm

RockTHECasbah wrote:Furthermore, you argue like a 12-year old. Right after I said I am Canadian, you say "so , I'm Swedish," like a child like it is a childish argument.

Which he is NOT Swedish. He's CHINESE born in Sweden. He had posted that his mom looks young becuase she's Asian and later stated that his grandparents are Chinese but his parents went to Sweden to live. So manun is CHINESE (nationailty) born in Sweden.

LOL their gymnasts could be lying about their age. then their fans have to lie about their nationailty to not seem bias.
YiOF
Sophomore

Post#224 » by YiOF » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:33 pm

Bullsmaniac wrote:
RockTHECasbah wrote:Furthermore, you argue like a 12-year old. Right after I said I am Canadian, you say "so , I'm Swedish," like a child like it is a childish argument.

Which he is NOT Swedish. He's CHINESE born in Sweden. He had posted that his mom looks young becuase she's Asian and later stated that his grandparents are Chinese but his parents went to Sweden to live. So manun is CHINESE (nationailty) born in Sweden.

LOL their gymnasts could be lying about their age. then their fans have to lie about their nationailty to not seem bias.

If you are this (Please Use More Appropriate Word), you shouldn't post to let people find out about it. so all the white Americans are NOT Americans, they are EUROPEAN born in America?
Bullsmaniac
RealGM

Post#225 » by Bullsmaniac » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:39 pm

YiOF wrote:
Bullsmaniac wrote:

If you are this (Please Use More Appropriate Word), you shouldn't post to let people find out about it. so all the white Americans are NOT Americans, they are EUROPEAN born in America?

THEY ARE AMERICANS. Where did I say they weren't? I'm filipino but have been raised in America all my life. i root for the U.S BUT THAT doesn't discount the FACT that my nationailty is Filipino and if the Philippines were represented in the Olympics, I would want to see them suceed as well as the U.S team.
Do you get it NOW??? The guy states he's Swedish, therefore he didn't care about China or U.S but in fact his parents are Chinese. So my argument is he does have bias towards China's team.

I hope I made this clear enough for your comprehension.
YiOF
Sophomore

Post#226 » by YiOF » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:01 pm

The problem is not what you mean, it's the way you communicate what you mean.
Bullsmaniac
RealGM

Post#227 » by Bullsmaniac » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:21 pm

YiOF wrote:The problem is not what you mean, it's the way you communicate what you mean.

I've communicated it fine on a previous post on this thread. The last post which you read, I forgot to add the word "descent" But the fact remains, he denied his Chinese nationailty to make it seem he's Swedish descent when in fact his grandparents are Chinese.

This doesn't even make sense to talk about what nationailty he is, he's the one that brought it up.
It doesn't matter if he's an alien from outer space, he refuses to take that a team might have broken the rules to participate in a competition. His argument is he doesn't even care because he's Swedish. OK? So what? If the Chinese gymnasts broke a rule by lying about their age, they should be disqualified. And that goes for American teams, Swedish teams, Canadian teams, Russian teams etc.

It has NOTHING to do about being "sore losers" as they state for being from America, Sweden, China or wherever. A rule is a rule.
canoner
Lead Assistant

Post#228 » by canoner » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:29 pm

Bullsmaniac wrote:
YiOF wrote:The problem is not what you mean, it's the way you communicate what you mean.

I've communicated it fine on a previous post on this thread. The last post which you read, I forgot to add the word "descent" But the fact remains, he denied his Chinese nationailty to make it seem he's Swedish descent when in fact his grandparents are Chinese.

This doesn't even make sense to talk about what nationailty he is, he's the one that brought it up.
It doesn't matter if he's an alien from outer space, he refuses to take that a team might have broken the rules to participate in a competition. His argument is he doesn't even care because he's Swedish. OK? So what? If the Chinese gymnasts broke a rule by lying about their age, they should be disqualified. And that goes for American teams, Swedish teams, Canadian teams, Russian teams etc.

It has NOTHING to do about being "sore losers" as they state for being from America, Sweden, China or wherever. A rule is a rule.

"MIGHT" is the key word. It seems a lot of people are arguing there is no "might", but rather "certainly".

And I agree that a rule is a rule and it doesn't matter what country breaks the rule. But any action has to be based on indisputable evidences. "might have broken the rules" is not an argument enough to justify any action.
canoner
Lead Assistant

Post#229 » by canoner » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:41 pm

Bullsmaniac wrote:

Why is he not a Swedish if he was born a Swedish? By your logic, a lot of us are not Americans. Other than native indians, we are all decedents of foreigners born in US. So we all have to label ourselves American(Irsih), American(Chinee), American(Indian), ...?
Bullsmaniac
RealGM

Post#230 » by Bullsmaniac » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:42 pm

canoner wrote:
Bullsmaniac wrote:

"MIGHT" is the key word. It seems a lot of people are arguing there is no "might", but rather "certainly".

And I agree that a rule is a rule and it doesn't matter what country breaks the rule. But any action has to be based on indisputable evidences. "might have broken the rules" is not an argument enough to justify any action.

The action is justified however if documents and/or articles have been changed, which in this case it has.
I doubt anything will come out of this anyway. If the Chinese government is involved, they will just toss this issue aside to save face for their country (AS WOULD MOST COUNTRIES' government would probably do as well if it happened to them).

Anyway I hope the truth comes out. I only feel for the gymnasts (from all the countires who participated) involved. Not the fans, not the government etc.
canoner
Lead Assistant

Post#231 » by canoner » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:52 pm

Bullsmaniac wrote:
canoner wrote:

The action is justified however if documents and/or articles have been changed, which in this case it has.
I doubt anything will come out of this anyway. If the Chinese government is involved, they will just toss this issue aside to save face for their country (AS WOULD MOST COUNTRIES' government would probably do as well if it happened to them).

Anyway I hope the truth comes out. I only feel for the gymnasts (from all the countires who participated) involved. Not the fans, not the government etc.

The fact is: even if the documents had NOT been changed, they would not have been legally admissible evidences. Website info is subject to errors, including repeated errors. Government website is subject to errors, including repeated errors. That kind of "evidences" carry no weight when countered by legal documents, such as passport and certificate of birth. Your date of birth can be listed wrong all over the internet, but the date on your certificate of birth or passport is the one that any legal entity will trust. That has been the stand of IOC all along.
tha_rock220
General Manager
And1: 564

Post#232 » by tha_rock220 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:21 pm

dacher wrote:
tha_rock220 wrote: I say sports like shooting and weightlifting should only go up to silver medals because almost nobody cares about them.

That makes no sense. Every country with professional police and military have what amounts to professional marksmanship teams --> shooting teams. Every country in the world does weightlifting. Weightlifting is as basic a human physical activity as running.

:rofl: Please spare me the rhetorical nonsense. Police are not skilled markspeople. They have shooting skills, and strength training is a basic human physical activity, but that doesn't make it any more mainstream than competitive sex.

Almost all countries try to get athletes into swimming and athletics competitions. 1 because of their notoriety and 2 because that notoriety leads to more competitors in those sports. Take Zimbabwe for example. No shooters, no weightlifters, but did you have ever hear of Kirsty Coventry??? The swimmers and track athletes compete against way more athletes for their medals.

Call them excuses if you want, but program 119 basically admitted that those events were more important, China couldn't compete in them, so they took what they could from gymnastics and divings and went after the obscure sports with less competitors. :lol:
Luv those Knicks wrote:you were right
captain_cheapseats
Starter
And1: 1

Post#233 » by captain_cheapseats » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:53 pm

I agree with those who have said that there is always a certain degree of home cookin' with the judging that benefits the host nation. However, I think all the added controversy this year is due to the Chinese chick who somehow medaled in the women's individual vault after failing to land one of her two vaults. I think the media is willing to ignore a certain amount of bias because it always happens, generally occurs in minor sports, and no one really wants to hear about it. But when you've got vaulters landing on their *sses and still taking home medals during prime time broadcasts of major olympic sports, you have to cover the story.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,470

Post#234 » by Slava » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:22 am

Bullsmaniac wrote:

Does that really matter in the discussion in hand? Please stay on topic and quit bringing up these things in your arguments.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,470

Post#235 » by Slava » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:26 am

YiOF wrote:
Bullsmaniac wrote:

Public warning issued to the three of you for trading insults.

There doesn't seem to be anything good coming out of this thread so I'll go ahead and lock it.

There are related threads on this topic but take it easy and keep the debates clean. Any more minor infractions on this debate will not be tolerated.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
canoner
Lead Assistant

Post#236 » by canoner » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:30 am

tha_rock220 wrote:
dacher wrote:
tha_rock220 wrote: I say sports like shooting and weightlifting should only go up to silver medals because almost nobody cares about them.

That makes no sense. Every country with professional police and military have what amounts to professional marksmanship teams --> shooting teams. Every country in the world does weightlifting. Weightlifting is as basic a human physical activity as running.

:rofl: Please spare me the rhetorical nonsense. Police are not skilled markspeople. They have shooting skills, and strength training is a basic human physical activity, but that doesn't make it any more mainstream than competitive sex.

Almost all countries try to get athletes into swimming and athletics competitions. 1 because of their notoriety and 2 because that notoriety leads to more competitors in those sports. Take Zimbabwe for example. No shooters, no weightlifters, but did you have ever hear of Kirsty Coventry??? The swimmers and track athletes compete against way more athletes for their medals.

Call them excuses if you want, but program 119 basically admitted that those events were more important, China couldn't compete in them, so they took what they could from gymnastics and divings and went after the obscure sports with less competitors. :lol:

Funny, swimming and t&f are the most important two parts of project 119, and China only won 4 gold from project 119 targets.

You obviously have no idea what you were talking about. I am not surprised at all after reading your ignorance throughout all these pages.

Return to Olympics