OT - Playing Fantasy Sports Need Advice

Moderators: floppymoose, Curtis Lemansky, sly

VancityRaptors
Sophomore
And1: 6

OT - Playing Fantasy Sports Need Advice 

Post#1 » by VancityRaptors » Tue Sep 8, 2009 9:05 am

So me and my buds are setting up a fantasy nba and fantasy nfl thingie the buy in for each sport is 50 buks anyways some of them played fantasy for years and some just started as for me i never did it before and was wondering if anyone can gimmie some of there expertise.
Toronto Raptors
Toronto Mapleleafs
Toronto Bluejays
Vancouver Whitecaps
Chelsea F.C
New Orleans Saints
Lucky26
Starter
And1: 487

Re: OT - Playing Fantasy Sports Need Advice 

Post#2 » by Lucky26 » Tue Sep 8, 2009 11:30 am

First time and you're playing for money? Since the NFL season is just next week, you will need advice for that draft.
Running Backs are very important in fantasy, and this year, that position is fairly deep. Also depending on how many teams are in the league, let's say 8, means there are gonna be some good quaterbacks in later rounds.
Therefore, your first 2 picks should be solid RB's, not Tom Brady or Drew Brees. Those guys will still be around in round 3 anyway, but I would use my first 4-5 picks on RB's and WR's and then there are QB's that'll be available later like Schaub, Cassel, Edwards, etc. that could have really good seasons.
I'll play defense when you get a girlfriend
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,994

Post#3 » by CPT » Tue Sep 8, 2009 11:46 am

^ Bad advice, IMO.

The difference between a Brady/Brees and someone in the Cassel, Schaub, Edwards (seriously?) group is much bigger than the difference between a 2nd/3rd round RB (Marion Barber/Ryan Grant types) and a 4th/5th round RB (Addai/Thomas Jones/LenDale White types).

Now, if you're talking a Romo/Rodgers/Rivers instead, then yeah, I'd probably take the better RB/WR.
Lucky26
Starter

Post#4 » by Lucky26 » Tue Sep 8, 2009 11:53 am

CPT wrote:^ Bad advice, IMO.

The difference between a Brady/Brees and someone in the Cassel, Schaub, Edwards (seriously?) group is much bigger than the difference between a 2nd/3rd round RB (Marion Barber/Ryan Grant types) and a 4th/5th round RB (Addai/Thomas Jones/LenDale White types).

Now, if you're talking a Romo/Rodgers/Rivers instead, then yeah, I'd probably take the better RB/WR.

That's what I'm saying, by the time you fill up on RB's and WR's in the first 5-6 rounds, then most probably, the QB's that will be left are guys like Schaub, Cassel, Mcnabb who are still good fantasy QB's - my bad on Edwards, I shouldn't have added him in that group; but I think he will have a Cassel type of year.
Lucky26
Starter

Post#5 » by Lucky26 » Tue Sep 8, 2009 11:59 am

By the way CPT, Grant and Barber are not 2nd-3rd round picks (unless you're in a 12-15 team league)
James Ballswin (Realizar)
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#6 » by James Ballswin (Realizar) » Tue Sep 8, 2009 1:03 pm

Visit ROTOEVIL - Fantasy Players Network
RAPTOR FAN FRIDAYS: Raptors Republic @ Sports Centre Cafe
http://raptorsrepublic.com
Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,167

Post#7 » by Anatomize » Tue Sep 8, 2009 3:11 pm

Sure, I'll help you out.

I've been in the finals twice and won once in my 16 man money league (all friends). Every person buys magazines, draft kits, and reads www.rotoworld.com (great place to get minute-by-minute player updates during the season). We've been running it for over 10 years now and it's extremely competitive, everyone knows their players, sleepers, and draft picks.

My first rule is, avoid grabbing players who score a lot, points is a category which is winnable even without premiere scoring types. So you should avoid Michael Redd, Kevin Martin, and so on.

I also avoid big men who negate me in certain categories, I would not and will not ever draft Dwight Howard because his FT shooting (especially considering the amount of attempts he takes) and his turnovers greatly negate his overall impact. So while his rebounding, FG%, blocks are incredible, his TO/FT can really hurt you. I target bigs such as Amare who are able to provide me with 80%+ from the line, a great scoring output, decent blocks, and decent rebounds 8-9.

The reason I don't worry about grabbing a great rebounding big is because throughout my lineup I draft multi cat, multi cat, multi cat. That's what it's all about. Whether it's G. Wallace, Danny Granger, or other versatile forwards. You want your guards and SFs to get you steals, assists, rebounds, 3 pointers and shoot decent %'s and FT. These are all vital to winning.

My drafting strategy is always to start out with either a big who gets more than 80+ FT and is a great big at that, then draft a PG the next time around (top 5 preferably). Do not draft Andre Miller types (even Rajon Rondo is borderline) because of their horrid 3 point shooting. You want your PGs to shoot 3's, it's important.

The other thing I pride myself on is getting steal picks in the late rounds. Last year I nabbed Tyrus Thomas and I rode him out, he paid off huge near the end of the year because his shot blocking and steals came in rally handy; he single handily won me those categories on some weeks. I target either bounce back players, or young guys who are in their 3rd-4th year and about to break out. If not those, then I go based off my information about rookies (such as trading for Brook Lopez early in the year, and Andris Biedrins mid-season).

Stay active, make sure to watch the league, read rotoworld, and make pickups for players who are showing a nice streak of games and providing you with multi cat stats.

Evaluate where you stand after a few head to head matchups (if you play H2H). Make sure to see your compilation of stats, which areas you're weak in and need to be addressed either through pickups or trade.

If you do plan to trade, target teams which are struggling/still active and trying hard to get into the playoffs (mid-tier pack). This has worked wonders for me in getting great players. Make sure to offer multi player deals, they work much better than 1 for 1s and can yield you greater stats.

This is all I can think of for now, and has helped me win numerous times.

Off the bat I can tell you of the types of players I've drafted to help me win:

last year - Jason Bay on Pittsburgh, 9th round/injury concerns, bounced back with 30/100
Prince Fielder prior to his first breakout year, nabbed me 50 homeruns in his 2nd stint in the league
Deron Williams in his 2nd season with Utah when he was still a relative unknown in fantasy
Gilbert Arenas in his breakout season with GSW
Josh Hamilton in the 17th round prior to hitting 40+ homeruns last year

These are the types of steals I've been able to get, so make sure to know your players and study situations with teams.
VancityRaptors
Sophomore
And1: 6

Post#8 » by VancityRaptors » Wed Sep 9, 2009 5:59 am

Thanks a million to all of you!!
Toronto Raptors
Toronto Mapleleafs
Toronto Bluejays
Vancouver Whitecaps
Chelsea F.C
New Orleans Saints