BOSF - 2016 - 2017 Discussion Thread

Moderators: floppymoose, Curtis Lemansky, sly

bokzg
Ballboy
And1: 9

Re: BOSF - 2016 - 2017 Discussion Thread: Draft underway 

Post#101 » by bokzg » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:31 pm

silentjim wrote:I actually assumed there was a possibility he took Drummond thinking he could draft someone in the third round who would still make him competitive in FT%. Otherwise he would have gone another direction. Either way poorly constructed teams are good for the rest of us.

I see Dipo being very close to where he was drafted with some upside and some slight downside. I would have probably taken him had So-Tex not.

I've seen people pursue a punt-FT% strategy after drafting CP3 first. The idea is that he gets you off to a really good start on the categories that the punt-FT% target players lack (i.e. 3PTM, AST, STL), while still being strong in FG% and TOs. While CP3 has a good FT%, it's not a significant part of his value, so you're not losing much.

The difficulty is that you're almost certainly punting PTS along with FT% by going that route because taking CP3 and players like Drummond and DJ in the early rounds really puts you far behind the rest of the teams in scoring. It's certainly still a very viable strategy, but quite the gamble.
silentjim
Freshman
And1: 7

Post#102 » by silentjim » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:48 pm

bokzg wrote:
silentjim wrote:I actually assumed there was a possibility he took Drummond thinking he could draft someone in the third round who would still make him competitive in FT%. Otherwise he would have gone another direction. Either way poorly constructed teams are good for the rest of us.

I see Dipo being very close to where he was drafted with some upside and some slight downside. I would have probably taken him had So-Tex not.

I've seen people pursue a punt-FT% strategy after drafting CP3 first. The idea is that he gets you off to a really good start on the categories that the punt-FT% target players lack (i.e. 3PTM, AST, STL), while still being strong in FG% and TOs. While CP3 has a good FT%, it's not a significant part of his value, so you're not losing much.

The difficulty is that you're almost certainly punting PTS along with FT% by going that route because taking CP3 and players like Drummond and XXX in the early rounds really puts you far behind the rest of the teams in scoring. It's certainly still a very viable strategy, but quite the gamble.

Paul had the 9th biggest positive impact on FT% last season. Not saying the strategy can't work, I just don't think giving up that kind of value makes sense with the other options that were available. For reference, Drummond put up the same Z score in blocks last season, but I don't think you'd say someone draft Drummond and then punt Blocks. The only reason it seems pseudo doable with Paul is because every top 10 talent is pretty strong in all cats to begin with.
hailfire4
Sophomore
And1: 18

Post#103 » by hailfire4 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:44 am

We can stop the censoring. Cept for the pottymouths. CP3 Deandre Drummy is pure punt FT. While CP3 is not the ideal base someone was bound to go for it.
The wrongest is always the loudest.
Young_Star11
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,767

Post#104 » by Young_Star11 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:48 am

I could see the DeAndre pick coming from a mile away, as soon as he took Drummond. Well planned to pull that off in a competitive league like this one but good forward-thinking on his part too.
Curtis Lemansky
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 250

Post#105 » by Curtis Lemansky » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:21 pm

Reggie Jackson is getting seriously overdrafted this year by a round or two
"I don't step aside, I step up." - Vic Mackey
"My name is my name" - Marlo Stanfield
"If you come at the king, you best not miss" - Omar Little

Formerly known as nostradamus2005
sabonis
Analyst
And1: 340

Post#106 » by sabonis » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:03 pm

Curtis Lemansky wrote:Reggie Jackson is getting seriously overdrafted this year by a round or two

early 50s is too early for Reggie Jackson but in FFL he was drafted by a small ball team. So I think it was somewhat justified.
sabonis
Analyst

Post#107 » by sabonis » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:12 am

Well this year I'm really high on Parsons unlike most of the managers out there. I'm not sure what's going on, yes he had 2 different knee surgeries in the last 2 seasons but if Grizzlies medical staff cleared him and the team gave him the max, I don't see how I can't take the risk on my fantasy basketball team lol.

after January 1 he was top 30 or something like that. and now he's on a team that needs his playmaking skills and 3 point threat much more than the Mavs.

If Bledsoe (injury risk) is taken before 35 on every single draft, I don't know how and why Parsons is falling down to 70-80 range instead of 50-55.

I either will get top 40 value from him or it will be a huge catastrophe with an injury. In the worst case scenario I think Memphis loses much more than I do. So I put my trust in their management, who has done a remarkable job in the last 10 years.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,833

Post#108 » by floppymoose » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:42 pm

Hey Matt, just wanted to let you know the player ranks on yahoo are customized to your league settings now. It may take a couple of hours for new ranks to show if you change your league settings, but other than that you should be able to see customized ranks. Also, the ranks algorithm has been improved so even public leagues will have better player ranks than they used to.
mattbuser
Freshman
And1: 12

Post#109 » by mattbuser » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:01 am

Good stuff, Joe, thanks! I saw the change for baseball this past season and was glad to see it. Keep up the good work.
bokzg
Ballboy

Post#110 » by bokzg » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:33 am

Random suggestion, but I was hoping we could make a change this season with regards to FA/WW pickups during the season. In several leagues I've been in over the past couple of seasons, we have set it so that all FA's are placed on waivers and have to be bid on via the FAAB system. Essentially, it makes it so that no one is able to immediately add a FA, and has to bid for every player they add at the end of each day instead .

The purpose behind the setting is so that everyone has a chance to pick up a particular player at the end of each day, and not only those people who happen to be online at a specific time. For example, if a starter gets injured during a game, people won't be able to immediately add his backup and will have to instead wait and bid on him along with everyone else in the league, making a strategic decision as to how much of their FAAB budget they want to spend. This avoids disadvantaging people who aren't able to be online all the time, and makes picking up FAs more of a strategic decision.

I like to think that the point of this league is to demonstrate fantasy basketball at a high level among experienced managers. If the goal is to showcase fantasy basketball knowledge and strategy, then we should make FA pickups more about strategy and less about being online at the right time. We all know how big of an impact a good FA pickup can be, so it'd be great to make the process more fair to everyone. It's worked very well in the leagues that have utilized it, and I see no downside to incorporating in this one.
hailfire4
Sophomore
And1: 18

Post#111 » by hailfire4 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:59 am

people should be rewarded for being online and first when trades or injuries suddenly pop up. delaying a pickup might be the only day that guy has value. besides we have a defense in place called the 6 pickup a week max. maybe it is 4 for basketball. if a low roster guy happens to have 4 days off and some bench guy on a team that plays 3 games in 4 days I could swap em out and pick up 3 games for the week. in ur bid system streaming would halt since the pickup would be delayed a day. besides a team with 14 useable players would have a huge advantage over a team with super crappy end roster guys since they would have to pay to rotate the scrubs. Another besides with a DL a guy gets hurt and I have to wait a day to fill the empty slot.
The wrongest is always the loudest.
bokzg
Ballboy

Post#112 » by bokzg » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:42 am

hailfire4 wrote:people should be rewarded for being online and first when trades or injuries suddenly pop up. delaying a pickup might be the only day that guy has value. besides we have a defense in place called the 6 pickup a week max. maybe it is 4 for basketball. if a low roster guy happens to have 4 days off and some bench guy on a team that plays 3 games in 4 days I could swap em out and pick up 3 games for the week. in ur bid system streaming would halt since the pickup would be delayed a day. besides a team with 14 useable players would have a huge advantage over a team with super crappy end roster guys since they would have to pay to rotate the scrubs. Another besides with a DL a guy gets hurt and I have to wait a day to fill the empty slot.

I don't see how the change would delay a pickup. You can't use a player the day you add him under the current setting anyway. If we implement my suggested change, you would have access to a player you bid on via FAAB the next day, exactly the same as how it is now (i.e. you bid on a player Fri night, you can put them in your lineup for Sat if you have the highest bid/priority). You don't have to wait a day to swap a player or fill a spot. There is literally no additional delay in how soon you gain access to a player you pick up via either setting.

The only difference between the two settings is to take away the advantage for people who just happen to be able to be online and refresh box scores, NBA news, or game footage every evening. Personally, I don't think being able to be online more often than another person should confer a significant advantage because it has nothing to do with skill. The skill is in determining whether a player should be picked up or not, which is not changed by the suggested change, and is actually enhanced because you have to assess how much everyone else wants the same guy and bid accordingly.

I understand however that what I'm asking for is to change the status quo and how the league has been set previously. I only bring it up because it has no impact on drafting (so no one will be prejudiced by the change), and it will make the league more fair and skillful.
Young_Star11
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#113 » by Young_Star11 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:28 am

Look, I can see the merit in proposing a change, but I think that it punishes the people who react quickly to the chance at finding a hidden gem in what will be a pretty shallow FA pool. Also in a tough and uncompromising league like this you often have to be a few moves ahead of everyone else anyway, so I say reward those who are anticipatory.

Also what would happen to the waiver priority in such a situation. It would cease to exist then I presume. Then how do these managers get the chance to utilize the small benefit of having a high waiver priority to effectively compensate them for getting a low draft pick?

I'd rather make the whole draft process an auction and then do FAAB, but we're too far into the drafting phase now.
sabonis
Analyst

Post#114 » by sabonis » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:53 am

I totally agree with the continuous waivers and bidding on FA. Watching a game or being online during a breaking news should not give a manager advantage over other managers.

If you think Mutombo is going to perform much better due to Kobe tearing his shoulder, then you should determine how much better Mutombo is going to perform and is it worth for you to spend X amount of currency on him. The same goes for bench players who has a good game out of the blue. Why is a manager rewarded for just being online at that time? Because there is absolutely no risk to drop a 13th round selection for a player who just showcased a potential top 80 performance.
tonika_zrr
Ballboy

Post#115 » by tonika_zrr » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:51 pm

+1 for HF and Young_Star.
bokzg
Ballboy

Post#116 » by bokzg » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:10 pm

Young_Star11 wrote:Look, I can see the merit in proposing a change, but I think that it punishes the people who react quickly to the chance at finding a hidden gem in what will be a pretty shallow FA pool. Also in a tough and uncompromising league like this you often have to be a few moves ahead of everyone else anyway, so I say reward those who are anticipatory.

Also what would happen to the waiver priority in such a situation. It would cease to exist then I presume. Then how do these managers get the chance to utilize the small benefit of having a high waiver priority to effectively compensate them for getting a low draft pick?

I'd rather make the whole draft process an auction and then do FAAB, but we're too far into the drafting phase now.

There's nothing anticipatory about being online and adding a player as something occurs. It's just luck and access to the Internet. The fact that the league is competitive and has a shallow FA pool should encourage a more skill-based system, not discourage one.

Waiver priority still exists. It is used as a tie breaker for FAAB bids, which actually comes up pretty often. It's not only for auction draft leagues.
patentboy23
Freshman
And1: 10

Post#117 » by patentboy23 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:31 am

I vote for FAAB
Young_Star11
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#118 » by Young_Star11 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:06 am

You've tentatively won me over bokzg.
Curtis Lemansky
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 250

Post#119 » by Curtis Lemansky » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:04 am

Young_Star11 wrote:You've tentatively won me over bokzg.

He has won me over as well.

So lets hear from others,

FAAB, Yay or Nay?
"I don't step aside, I step up." - Vic Mackey
"My name is my name" - Marlo Stanfield
"If you come at the king, you best not miss" - Omar Little

Formerly known as nostradamus2005
silentjim
Freshman

Post#120 » by silentjim » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:45 pm