Re: Money League - Now Recruiting 

Post#633 » by sabonis » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:51 am

if there is room I might like to participate in this league
writersblock
General Manager
And1: 61

Post#634 » by writersblock » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:34 pm

Hey Sabonis. We've got room, and it'll be great to have ya.
Globe-trotting and shenaniganizing, traveling the world and taking names...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6CtlAxAIaA_NQBQCuz3q1w?sub_confirmation=1
Skai
Pro Prospect
And1: 4

Post#635 » by Skai » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:05 am

I'm in!
Why the schlong face?
bww78
RealGM
And1: 13

Post#636 » by bww78 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:12 pm

sabonis wrote:if there is room I might like to participate in this league

Welcome aboard.
Woody Allen
General Manager
And1: 2,840

Post#637 » by Woody Allen » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:18 pm

We have 11 guys now, I think we'll eventually reach to 14 and get this one going. So, should we start to decide on the new format and the new rules now?
bww78
RealGM

Post#638 » by bww78 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:58 pm

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. I'll put together the new rules/format sometime this afternoon or tomorrow. Stay tuned.
bww78
RealGM

Post#639 » by bww78 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:51 pm

As we discussed last season, it’s time for a shake-up in the way we hold the auction/draft here in the Money League. While I think the “silent” auction format was a good one, and I certainly can’t complain given that I was fortunate enough to win the league last year, I feel as though we can improve.

My point last summer was, and continues to be now, that the auction’s purpose is to create a scenario whereby the owner who values a player the most is rewarded with that player. The intention is to maximize the dollars for every player. During our first year, it came down to a game of “beat the clock” with players trying to squeeze in that one last bid before the deadline. The last two years came down to a guessing game, as no one really knew how high to bid. It was very possible that you would have outbid everyone else, had you only known how high everyone else was going to bid. In the attempt to stay frugal and conserve cash, you underbid your guy, and he ultimately went for less than you would have paid for him.

I wanted to think of a way to avoid the scenario above. While I think I’ve got a pretty good idea of how to do it, you’ll have to bear with me while we work through the kinks. There will undoubtedly be issues and scenarios I didn’t foresee, and so we’ll likely need some “tweaks” along the way. Accordingly, as always, I must reserve the right to make additional changes and revisions to the league rules pending further review of the mechanics of the auction/draft. Please be patient with me as we work out he bugs, and don’t get upset if we impose new rules, or clarify old ones, that seem to work against you. All rules are meant to make the auction process fair and fluid, and to avoid any unforeseen loopholes.

So, without further ado, let’s get into the new draft format.

Bidding Format

Like previous years, you will have a certain amount of money with which to purchase players. You can purchase no more than 13 players during the auction. You can elect to purchase fewer than 13 if you wish, and then fill up on waiver wire adds after the entire auction has ended. You will not be allowed to pick up players that no one bid on until I have announced that the auction has concluded.

Team Budget: This year, to simplify, we will each be given $130. This represents the total amount of money you will have to spend during the auction, unless you make a trade for additional money (more on trading later).

Bidding: This is where we’ll have the biggest difference from previous years. We are doing away with the silent, “email” bidding system. Instead, bids will be open, and posted here on the realgm board.

There will be no limit to the number of bids you can make on any one player. There will be no time limit for bidding on any player. I will announce that bidding has opened everyday for 5 different players, based on the order of players which I will post prior to the beginning of the auction. Once a player is officially up for auction, every manager with money left in their budget will have the opportunity to bid on that player. You can bid up to as much money as you have left in your budget, making as many bids as want, as quickly as you’d like.

Going Once, Going Twice…: Once it appears as though bidding has slowed (there have been no bids for the last approximately 8 hours), I will announce the “GOING ONCE” alert for that player. If there are no bids on that player for the next approximately 6 hours, I will announce the “GOING TWICE” alert for that player. If there are no bids for that player for the next approximately 6 hours, I will announce that the player is “SOLD” and provide the final sale information. This gives each player a minimum of 20 hours after initial bidding dies down before that player’s auction ends, which should give everyone sufficient time to make their final bids. If it appears bidding frequency has increased during the final 12 hour period, I will extend that player’s auction accordingly.

Timing is not rigid. If you have a reason why you think I should extend any player’s auction, just let me know. I reserve the right to end auctions early if it is clear there will be no additional bids for a player, or to deny a request to extend any auction time periods. But I will not adhere strictly to any of the time periods specified above, hence the “approximate” labels. The point is to allow a fluid, non-time sensitive auction where everyone gets a chance to bid as much as they like, thus ensuring each player goes for the highest maximum amount.

Obviously, we don’t have unlimited time to conclude the draft, so there may be circumstances where I need to speed up the auction for players, but if we start in August, we should have plenty of time before the end of October.

Once you have filled up all 13 roster spots, you are no longer permitted to bid, until you make a trade freeing up a roster spot. The same rule applies once you run out of money.

Dueling Bids: If you are bidding on more than one player, and the sum total of your bids is greater than the total amount of money you have left in your budget, you may have subsequent bids nullified. Nullification of bids will take place if you win a player at auction, and the subsequent hit to your budget leaves any other outstanding bids over the amount of money you have left. Any outstanding bids that are for an amount higher than that which you have in your budget at any given time will be nullified. The order of your bid will be irrelevant. The rule will be triggered when you win a player that causes your outstanding bid(s) to place you in the red. As discussed above, a player’s auction is not timed, and may end at anytime within the rules for calling an auction.

Ties: In the event of a equal bids, the bid which was posted first shall be deemed the dominant bid.

Retractions: There will be no retracted bids. All bids are final, no exceptions whatsoever. So please bid wisely.

All bids which are incorrect, whether you just made a typo and wrote the wrong dollar amount or placed it on the wrong player, WILL BE FINAL.

Player Drops: Once you win a player at auction, you will not be permitted to drop that player until after the conclusion of the auction. Only bid on those players that you actually want to carry on your roster. There will be no exceptions to this rule.

Trades: You may trade as much as you like during and after the draft. Players and money are all free game. You can trade players for other players, for cash, or for a combination of the two. Be as creative as you like. I will have final and sole authority to veto all trades during the draft. For those of you that know me, I tend to allow most trades to go through, unless there is an obvious attempt at cheating, so don’t worry about me vetoing trades just because they appear one-sided. Trades will be final once both parties acknowledge the trade on the board. If your trade causes any of your outstanding bids to be greater than the total amount left in your budget, any such outstanding bids will be nullified.

Order: Like last year, the order of players will be determined randomly using www.random.org. I’ll simply use the player rankings from basketball monster, and randomly generate an order. I’ll post the full order so that everyone can see who is coming up next. Rookies will be added to the end of the list and included in the random order. If a player is missing that you think needs to be included, please tell me as soon as possible so that I can make the correction.

End of Auction: After every team has filled its roster, or every team is out of money, or every player still eligible to make bids unanimously agrees to end the draft, the draft will end. The end will not be official until I post it on the board. At that point, the waiver wire is open, and owners are free to make adds and drops as they please.

At the end of the draft, all cap spaces are scuttled, and teams proceed as if in any other league. In other words, the cap space element of this league ends at the end of the draft.
AlciG
Starter
And1: 432

Post#640 » by AlciG » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:37 am

I'll give it a go again this year if you'll have me :)
Skai
Pro Prospect
And1: 4

Post#641 » by Skai » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:40 am

I love the new format -- it'll make things much more interesting. That's for sure.
Why the schlong face?
sacstar16
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#642 » by sacstar16 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:05 pm

Same here- it's definitely going to be interesting
writersblock
General Manager

Post#643 » by writersblock » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:12 pm

:clap:
Best one yet. Hats off to Blake

Now let's get 3 more guys to fill the league.

fraanciiscoo
Head Coach
And1: 176

Post#644 » by fraanciiscoo » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:43 pm

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
bww78
RealGM

Post#645 » by bww78 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:58 pm

We need 3 more managers by my count. Anyone want to help do some recruiting?
writersblock
General Manager

Post#646 » by writersblock » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:34 pm

Can you put the list of managers already in the league on page one?

3Si
Assistant Coach
And1: 334

Post#647 » by 3Si » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:08 pm

Not sure if you guys counted me in yet. But I'm in for another season!
writersblock
General Manager

Post#648 » by writersblock » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:58 am

2 more and we're golden

Dakota Kid
Ballboy

Post#649 » by Dakota Kid » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:50 pm

I would be interested in joining if you guys are still looking :)
exversepwnage3
Junior

Post#650 » by exversepwnage3 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:36 pm

Interested in joining. Let me know. Send me an e-mail at nguy6280@gmail.com.

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leagues