Nadal wins first grass title

A place to talk about sports that are not covered by other forums and the gateway to other sports getting their own forums.

Moderators: Doctor MJ, kdawg32086

Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,472

Nadal wins first grass title 

Post#1 » by Slava » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:49 am

Nadal becomes first Spaniard in 36 years to claim grass title

LONDON -- Rafael Nadal claimed his first career grass-court title Sunday, defeating Novak Djokovic 7-6 (5), 7-5 in the Queen's Club final to become the first Spaniard to win on grass in 36 years.

It was the French Open champion's third win in the last three tournaments over the second-seeded Djokovic, following semifinal victories in Hamburg and at Roland Garros. Andres Gimeno was the last Spaniard to win on grass, at Eastbourne in 1972.

Nadal is also the first player to win at Roland Garros and Queen's Club in the same year since Ilie Nastase in 1973.

Doesn't sound great for Djokovic. I was hoping to see him challenge Federer like Federer did against Sampras in 2002.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Re: Nadal wins first grass title 

Post#2 » by BlackMamba » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:28 pm

i really thought djokovic was going to beat nadal.

i think nadal is better prepared to win wimbledon than federer was prepared to win roland garros.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Slava » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:42 am

Really sucks for Djokovic though, he better pull his act together at WImbeldon or else he'll be stuck playing 3rd fiddle like Andy ROddick did till recently. He should be No.2 at worst on grass and hard courts.
Ong_dynasty
Head Coach
And1: 351

Post#4 » by Ong_dynasty » Sun Jul 6, 2008 10:12 pm

Now he won the real Grass Title..
Roland Garros and Wimbledon champion baby!
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,619

Post#5 » by Da Schwab » Sun Jul 6, 2008 10:59 pm

I recorded the match because I had to work early this morning, and just finished watching it. It was, byfar, the best tennis match I have ever seen. Instant classic.

I think Rafa is one major win away from taking Roger's crown.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Slava » Mon Jul 7, 2008 6:25 am

All the games are downloadable from www.wimbledon.org, the offical website for the tournament.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,969

Post#7 » by Rich Rane » Mon Jul 7, 2008 2:19 pm

Da Schwab wrote:I recorded the match because I had to work early this morning, and just finished watching it. It was, byfar, the best tennis match I have ever seen. Instant classic.

I think Rafa is one major win away from taking Roger's crown.

Well in the point system the ATP and WTA has, Federer's at 6600 and Nadal is at 6055, a difference of 545. Even with Federer's woes at the last three Grand Slams (he has gotten to the finals in each of those three), Nadal has only gained 270 points on Federer on this year's tour. Pending a huge breakdown in which Federer doesn't even get to the Finals (hard to see that happen), I think Nadal's going to have to not only win the US Open, but also some of those tournaments on the US Open tour before the actual slam to take that 1st spot.

Then again, Djokovic is also around...He's over a thousand points behind both men, but you can't fault one for thinking he could be a huge thorn in either Federer or Nadal's plans with his big win on the hard courts at the Australian Open.

Return to General Other Sports Talk