Wimbledon 2011

A place to talk about sports that are not covered by other forums and the gateway to other sports getting their own forums.

Moderators: Doctor MJ, kdawg32086

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,660

Re: Wimbledon 2011 

Post#101 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Jul 2, 2011 8:26 pm

Ong_dynasty wrote:nothing against you, but as a whole of how we compare "g.o.a.t.s". we are literally witnessing the best player or a top3 player in my opinion but for some reason we belive he has to surpass federer grand slams? even though he has made the so called goat literally cry on tv?

as i said before, i am like u I would probably rate federer as a goat, but logically it does not make any sense since there is a player who is better than him.

There's really no basis for saying this other than the head-to-head matchup, which is hardly a reasonable end all be all for reasons discussed ad nauseum: 1) Different ages, 2) Different surfaces, 3) You can't judge players simply how they matchup against one guy.

In addition to Fed having the major accomplishment edge, he's also got the consistent domination edge. Nadal has yet to have any year where he has a record that really rivals the most dominating players in history. People want to say "Yeah, but Nadal wins them when they count.", except if that were the case he'd have a more dominating record than Fed in Grand Slams generally, which he doesn't.

I consider Nadal to be the mentally toughest guy around, and if his end career accomplishments warrant it, I'll have no qualms about anointing him GOAT even if he's never able to dominate a season like I'd hope, but the dude still has a lot left to accomplish before we get to that point.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#102 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Jul 2, 2011 8:29 pm

UssjTrunks wrote:Injuries derailed her career.

Injuries didn't help, but there's really no doubt that given what she did at age 17 her ability to develop further has disappointed injury or no injury.

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#103 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Jul 2, 2011 8:32 pm

Good to see one of the new generation finally break through. Hard to see Kvitova as a Player of the Decade type of player at this point imho, but frankly, less hard than it is to see it happening for any other particular player in the field.

BULLZ1LLA
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#104 » by BULLZ1LLA » Sun Jul 3, 2011 3:54 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
Ong_dynasty wrote:nothing against you, but as a whole of how we compare "g.o.a.t.s". we are literally witnessing the best player or a top3 player in my opinion but for some reason we belive he has to surpass federer grand slams? even though he has made the so called goat literally cry on tv?

as i said before, i am like u I would probably rate federer as a goat, but logically it does not make any sense since there is a player who is better than him.

There's really no basis for saying this other than the head-to-head matchup, which is hardly a reasonable end all be all for reasons discussed ad nauseum: 1) Different ages, 2) Different surfaces, 3) You can't judge players simply how they matchup against one guy.

In addition to Fed having the major accomplishment edge, he's also got the consistent domination edge. Nadal has yet to have any year where he has a record that really rivals the most dominating players in history. People want to say "Yeah, but Nadal wins them when they count.", except if that were the case he'd have a more dominating record than Fed in Grand Slams generally, which he doesn't.

I consider Nadal to be the mentally toughest guy around, and if his end career accomplishments warrant it, I'll have no qualms about anointing him GOAT even if he's never able to dominate a season like I'd hope, but the dude still has a lot left to accomplish before we get to that point.

(Federer never won Roland Garros, Wimbledon, US Open in the same season. That's the hardest thing to do in a season, especially now that all 3 are on completely different surfaces. Nadal is the only man in history to win Roland Garros, Wimbledon, US Open in the same season on 3 completely different surfaces [Nadal won those 3 slams in a row last year, and he also became the first player ever to win 3 Masters Shields in a row. He also made the Final of the Indoor World Tour Finals, a year after going winless in that event]. I guess Nadal will have to win 4 slams in a row to dominate a season as much as you'd hope)
Yoga
Banned User
And1: 83

Post#105 » by Yoga » Sun Jul 3, 2011 4:48 am

I predict Rafa wins in a 5 set thriller over Novak
BULLZ1LLA
Rookie

Post#106 » by BULLZ1LLA » Sun Jul 3, 2011 6:45 am

(Nadal is still the better tennis player, but on this occasion I predict Djokovic in 3 or 4)
Black Milk
Lead Assistant
And1: 987

Post#107 » by Black Milk » Sun Jul 3, 2011 2:33 pm

BULLZ1LLA wrote:(I predict Rafa in 3 or 4)

So much for that. Djokovic is serving amazingly well this match.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#108 » by AdamTheGreek » Sun Jul 3, 2011 2:44 pm

Come on, Novak.

He'll concede this 3rd set. As long as Djokovic serves first to start the 4th, he's got this championship. The better player will win today.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#109 » by 5DOM » Sun Jul 3, 2011 2:55 pm

Lots of unforced errors from Djokovic this set
Jugs
RealGM
And1: 6,488

Post#110 » by Jugs » Sun Jul 3, 2011 3:42 pm

Okay you're getting carried away here. I'm going to leave it as a public warning to you and everyone. No obscenities, no insults. ~Doc
Jugs
RealGM

Post#111 » by Jugs » Sun Jul 3, 2011 3:43 pm

NOLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jugs
RealGM

Post#112 » by Jugs » Sun Jul 3, 2011 3:43 pm

rafa in 3 or 4 hahahahahahahahahahahaha
Dolgopolov
Ballboy

Post#113 » by Dolgopolov » Sun Jul 3, 2011 4:04 pm

Don't you feel silly right now
EH15
General Manager
And1: 6,946

Post#114 » by EH15 » Sun Jul 3, 2011 5:02 pm

lol I'm with all you guys, Go Novak :D . Absolutely loved seeing him make Nadal eat dirt in the second set.

Does Sampras have the highest win % in GS finals (winning at least 10 of course)? Sorta like MJ being 6/6.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,661

Post#115 » by Baphomet » Sun Jul 3, 2011 5:23 pm

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

BULLZ1LLA eating some serious crow right now. I just watched it on Sky+ because I got in a little late midway through the match and I didn't want any spoilers :| What an amazing second set by Djokovic, though I was a little worried after the third set, but it was evidently unfounded. Rafa was, for the most part, comprehensively overpowered by Djokovic from the baseline, and in all my years of watching tennis I haven't seen that very often. I'm elated, especially because this really concretes how deserving Novak is of that #1 spot.
Jugs
RealGM

Post#116 » by Jugs » Sun Jul 3, 2011 5:28 pm

NOVAK IS THE PROVAK
KING JAMES1978
Sixth Man
And1: 56

Post#117 » by KING JAMES1978 » Sun Jul 3, 2011 7:51 pm

I'm happy for Djokovic.He deserve it and right now he is easily the best player in the game.
Imo if he had won Federer at Paris he had won the Roland Garros against Nadal.

But the most important thing for the game of tennis is that we have a new rivalry.With Federer out of his prime the new rivalry is Novak vs Rafa.

P.S If anyone forget it Roger Federer is the Greatest player ever.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#118 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Jul 3, 2011 9:20 pm

Fantastic match, and the exciting times continue on the men's side.

I've always been more fond of Fed & Rafa than Novak personally, but that's starting to change. I love how he's kept pushing himself and found a way to a new level. 4 years stuck at #3 could easily have made him give up, but it appears it only made him more determined.

It can't be stressed enough how impressive Djokovic's year has been thus far. If he keeps it up, it will be the most impressive season in history. I honestly can't believe it. I didn't think he had it in him. I had thought Nadal might reach this level, but he never has.

But of course, "keeping it up" will be no small feat...

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#119 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Jul 3, 2011 10:07 pm

BULLZ1LLA wrote:(Federer never won Roland Garros, Wimbledon, US Open in the same season. That's the hardest thing to do in a season, especially now that all 3 are on completely different surfaces. Rafa is the only man in history to win Roland Garros, Wimbledon, US Open in the same season on 3 completely different surfaces [Rafa won those 3 slams in a row last year, and he also became the first player ever to win 3 Masters Shields in a row. He also made the Final of the Indoor World Tour Finals, a year after going winless in that event]. I guess Rafa will have to win 4 slams in a row to dominate a season as much as you'd hope)

Let me try to be really precise here:

For me it's not about Nadal's 3 slams being less than others winning 3 slams. It's about factoring in everything a player plays to get the best picture of his ability to dominate. Of course I weigh the slams more than other matches, but this notion that non-major matches are completely different from the slams is silly.

3 players in question, here are their # of losses in their 4 best seasons before this year:

Federer: 4, 5, 6, 9
Nadal: 10, 10, 11, 12
Djokovic: 17, 18, 19, 19

It would be one thing if Nadal constantly disappointed in non-majors, and constantly dominated in the majors, but that's never been the case, people just get that impression because he's won in the finals at majors. However, before the finals he's much less dominant than someone like Federer.

Which is why Federer has 2 years where he won 3 majors and lost in the 4 finals of the 4th, an additional year where he made the finals in all tournaments, has two separate streaks where he made 10 & 8 finals in a row, while Nadal's for even making the semi's in a row is only 5 (and Fed's semi streak was of course 23).

Also, just for perspective, if we take out the French, here's how the 3 players in question look at major finals:

Federer 15-3
Nadal 4-3
Djokovic 3-2

The scale of which people perspective is skewed simply because Nadal's the clay GOAT, and Federer's easily Top 5 of all-time on clay, is utterly mind-blowing. If Federer were worse on clay, people would actually think he had a stronger case for overall GOAT.

Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,823

Post#120 » by Raps in 4 » Sun Jul 3, 2011 11:13 pm

8-)

Return to General Other Sports Talk