2008 Aussie Open

A place to talk about sports that are not covered by other forums and the gateway to other sports getting their own forums.

Moderators: Doctor MJ, kdawg32086

Griff83
Assistant Coach
And1: 186

Post#41 » by Griff83 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:53 am

ive never seen anyone play as well as Tsonga just did against Nadal. He totally dominated him and was pulling shot after shot out of his arse. If he plays like that in the final, he will beat either Federer or Novak.
GQStylin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,636

Post#42 » by GQStylin » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:00 am

WOWOWOWOWOW!!! HOLY SHATTTT!!! :o :o :o :o :o

Never in my life would I think Nadal would get so completely dominated by anyone like that, let alone Tsonga! 6-2, 6-3, 6-2!!! Just complete and utter ownage by him over Rafa and he was playing pretty decent too. Nadal just couldn't get into the match with all the amazing Tsonga shots, especially the volleys holy smokes!

And Tsonga never lost serve in this whole match. Everytime Rafa came close to breaking, he would comeback and save his serve. That tennis by him tonight was world number 1 worthy. And I agree if he plays like this against Federer or Djokovic, he has an excellent chance of taking it all.
Holmes
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#43 » by Holmes » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:10 pm

Tough beat for Hantuchova. That was a cold handshake at the end but she said in the press conference afterwards that she didn't mean anything cold-hearted by that. She was disappointed that she had lost and wanted to get off the court as quickly as possible.

But Ivanovic is getting really irritating everytime I watch her matches. I just endured 2 hours of squeaky shoes (it looked intentional) and bogus fist pumps. It was hard to watch.

This may be the best chance Hantuchova is ever going to get at a chance at the finals. I can understand why she was so disappointed since she started out so dominant in the first set.

It's going to be a great finals though, Sharapova and Ivanovic. But Sharapova is on a tear and she is without a doubt the favorite despite being the lower seed.
Holmes
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#44 » by Holmes » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:27 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Well I can answer that last question: Sharapova played really good. Henin honestly played well enough that I think she'd have beaten any other woman in this tournament with that performance. So yeah the only question, and it is a big one: Can Sharapova do this consistently?

Sharapova can be dominant if she is healthy. Seems like in the past she was always battling an injury at every Grand Slam event she entered. This year she looks different. She's got that "time to make a statement" demeanor on the court. Very focused.

If she can remain healthy all year, I expect her to be very deep at every Grand Slam and Tier 1 event.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#45 » by BlackMamba » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:26 pm

wow... i was just reading the scores on the tsonga-nadal match, but that score shows total domination, i mean, considering how competitive is nadal you wouldn't believe that.

so, is tsonga sort of just a phase or a new talent?

is it because it's the 1st of the year, but the australian open seems to always take a not so known player to the semis or the final.
Griff83
Assistant Coach
And1: 186

Post#46 » by Griff83 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:46 pm

BlackMamba wrote:wow... i was just reading the scores on the tsonga-nadal match, but that score shows total domination, i mean, considering how competitive is nadal you wouldn't believe that.

so, is tsonga sort of just a phase or a new talent?

is it because it's the 1st of the year, but the australian open seems to always take a not so known player to the semis or the final.

during the match they were saying that Tsonga was the #1 rated amatuer or something. Then when he joined the tour he dealt with some injuries not too long after. Last night being the first time ever watched him, his game really reminded me of Safins in terms of skills and size. With his skills and flare for the game I certainly dont think this is just some flash in the pan peformance.
RockTHECasbah
Lead Assistant
And1: 10

Post#47 » by RockTHECasbah » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:19 pm

THE HOTTEST FINALS EVAR
Know anyone who is disabled? has an addiction?
HandyTax - Your Canadian Disability Tax Credit Consultants
http://www.handytax.ca
lastopsuburb
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#48 » by lastopsuburb » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:25 pm

Holmes wrote:But Ivanovic is getting really irritating everytime I watch her matches. I just endured 2 hours of squeaky shoes (it looked intentional) and bogus fist pumps. It was hard to watch.

I feel bad for hantuchova also, she played well.

P.S how can you find ivanovic irritating, i love her celebrations, i think it is really hot. And I don't think i heard any squeaky shoes?
steve101
Senior
And1: 1

Post#49 » by steve101 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:27 am

The noise from the shoes came right before the ball was served (actually while it was in the air it seems). Its seems kinda cheap to do but when you lose 8 straight games to start a match you better try something new. Should be a pretty good finals with Ivanovic and Sharapova though nonetheless. Maria's been killing the competition thus far and if Ana can play like she did against Venus in the quarters it'll be an entertaining match.

On the mens side Tsonga of course has been reall impressive. He's got so much power and just murders the ball everytime he hits it but its his movement which is really suprising considering how big and heavy he is. On the other side of the bracket Novak on a roll and his match with Federer tonight will be great. Roger's been alright (to his standards) this tourney but we all know he can turn it on like that. Though Novak has had a great tourney thus far (hasn't lost a set) but will have his hands full. Tsonga should hope for a 5 setter and see if gets a tired player in the finals.
GQStylin
Assistant Coach

Post#50 » by GQStylin » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:17 am

I can't believe Federer lost in straight sets! :o :( :nonono:

Djokovic played great and Roger played average at best when he need his absolute best to beat Nole tonight. Damn, another shocker! :( :(

I think Novak wins his first slam now.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,969

Post#51 » by Rich Rane » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:22 am

I always knew if there was one man in the entire tennis world who could bring Federer down in a hardcourt Grand Slam, it would be Djokovic. Nevertheless, this was one of the most unpredictable slams in years.

Roger better win Roland Garros...
GQStylin
Assistant Coach

Post#52 » by GQStylin » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:26 am

Also Federer looked disinterested for alot of that match or something it seemed and this match would be so much different if he won the 1st set. He had it on his serve at 5-4 and gets broken and that pretty much got the ball rolling for Novak.

They showed Roger's record in matches when he won the first set and it was 100+ matches won and only four lost. While when he's lost the 1st set, he had a losing record I think. Man I still can't get over how he lost that first set. :nonono:

And this breaks his streak of 10 straight grandslam finals as well. :(
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,969

Post#53 » by Rich Rane » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:42 am

GQStylin wrote:Also Federer looked disinterested for alot of that match or something it seemed and this match would be so much different if he won the 1st set. He had it on his serve at 5-4 and gets broken and that pretty much got the ball rolling for Novak.

I believe it was 5-3 and he was up 30-0 on Djokovic's serve when he made that tremendous backhand on the line. I'm still just as surprised as you that he lost that first set. I was already thinking typical Federer win in 4 sets (I gave Djokovic a bit of credit winning 1). All of a sudden, I'm watching a third set tiebreak.

Pat McEnroe says that #1 is up for grabs this year. I definitely disagree but I will say Nadal, as much as I like him, better watch his back. I believe Djokovic's gotten to him a few times in other tournaments.
GQStylin
Assistant Coach

Post#54 » by GQStylin » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:13 pm

Rich Rane wrote:Pat McEnroe says that #1 is up for grabs this year. I definitely disagree but I will say Nadal, as much as I like him, better watch his back. I believe Djokovic's gotten to him a few times in other tournaments.

I agree that Nadal has abit more to worry about than Federer ranking wise. I think Roger should still win enough tournaments to stay number 1, but I guess we'll see.

I'm still kinda stunned that he dropped the 1st set like that. Usually when he's serving for the set its almost automatic. And I'm definitely shocked that he went out in straight sets. If he had won the 1st, I think things would have turned out differently and Roger takes the match in four or five sets. But Roger didn't come close to playing his best as the tournament went on and tonight Novak came out with a gameplan, was nailing most of his shots and his serve was so on while Roger couldn't kick it up to that next level that he has done so often in the past to beat his opponents.

I think that while Federer will continue to be a great player and remain at the top for years to come, the utter dominance that he has displayed for the past 3 years or so seems to be over now which is kind of sad since I enjoyed watching him be great for so long. :(
kleatius_01
Senior
And1: 299

Post#55 » by kleatius_01 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:15 pm

[quote="GQStylin"][/quote]

Yeah, almost seems like the end of an era. :cry: Hopefully this will motivate Fed to come back and finally win the French.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#56 » by BlackMamba » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:36 pm

:o i'm shocker too, i can't believe federer lost in straight sets!

:nonono: :banghead:

i've never liked djokovic, so i'm rooting for tsonga!

and i totally agree, federer HAS to win roland garros. it was a bad start of the year, i hope it doesn't turn into a trend.
steve101
Senior
And1: 1

Post#57 » by steve101 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:57 pm

C'mon how can you not like Novak??? Easy going guy with a funny personaility which I think the sport could use.

Anyways on the match I did not see that coming. I know he's beat Fed in a finals before (Rogers Cup) but to beat him in straight sets in a Grand Slam, wow. Like some people said Federer didn't look all the intrested this tourney but still, never though I'd see him go down like this. Novak hasn't lost a set this tourney and should be able to care of Tsonga in the finals.

For some reason I always find myself cheering for the Serbs so hopefully Novak takes care of his match and Ivanovic can pull an upset over Maria. Should be some good finals
lastopsuburb
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#58 » by lastopsuburb » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:43 am

Go Ivanovic!!!!!!!!
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#59 » by AdamTheGreek » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:18 am

Great match, especially that first set.
Maria played a phenomenal tournament and once she managed to take advantage of Ana's bad shots to take the set, I figured Maria would win in straight sets.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
GQStylin
Assistant Coach

Post#60 » by GQStylin » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:19 am

Damn Maria! :D What a dominating performance!! Played amazing throughout the whole tournament and didn't even drop a set through 7 matches.

Ivanovic played decent, but Maria was in top form and couldn't be beat. :clap:

Return to General Other Sports Talk