Australian Open 2009

A place to talk about sports that are not covered by other forums and the gateway to other sports getting their own forums.

Moderators: Doctor MJ, kdawg32086

Holmes
Analyst
And1: 3

Re: Australian Open 2009 

Post#41 » by Holmes » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:19 pm

Disappointed with Dementieva. Coming off 2 straight tournament wins she was in form going into the Open. Was quite a good match though. World class groundstrokes on display all game from both Elena and Serena.

Absolutely cringed when Elena doubled faulted during 2 key moments. Although every fan of her's is used to that by now.
TheMartian
General Manager
And1: 6,448

Post#42 » by TheMartian » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:46 am

BlackMamba wrote:yes, i agree, federer still has the pressure on him, and that doesn't help.

i'm almost sure nadal will make it to the final, but verdasco has looked pretty good so far, i wouln't be surprised if he makes it to the final.

has there every been a year in history where the same 2 guys play the GS finals?

I'd want Nadal if I were Roger. If only to get over his "slump" when facing his nemesis. He needs this win to get back on track.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,478

Post#43 » by Slava » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:52 am

I think Nadal will still be a big block to get over for Federer. Nadal doesn't think much about Roger's game as Roger thinks about Nadal's and Nadal has the psychological upperhand in the match up. Could be very interesting if it happens since Federer looked like his imperious best against Roddick.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
TheMartian
General Manager

Post#44 » by TheMartian » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:30 am

Verdasco is putting up a fight against Nadal right now. Up 1 set to none.
TheMartian
General Manager

Post#45 » by TheMartian » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:53 am

Awesome match so far. Both players have held their serve.
TheMartian
General Manager

Post#46 » by TheMartian » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:05 am

Spoke too soon. Nadal takes the 2nd set, 6 games to 4.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#47 » by BlackMamba » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:47 pm

pretty good match, during the 3rd set i thought verdasco had a chance, but he started to look weaker (mentally) than nadal.

and the first GS couldn't get any better, nadal vs. federer, it could be again another epic match.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,990

Post#48 » by Rich Rane » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:19 pm

BlackMamba wrote:pretty good match, during the 3rd set i thought verdasco had a chance, but he started to look weaker (mentally) than nadal.

and the first GS couldn't get any better, nadal vs. federer, it could be again another epic match.

It had better. Roger knows Roland Garros is coming up and everyone knows how that ended up last year.
THEmasterWAYNE
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#49 » by THEmasterWAYNE » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:12 pm

Watching the Verdasco match, most of Federer's usual winners are going to come back. Nadal in straight sets will replace Federer as the main threat to Sampras' slams record.
THEmasterWAYNE
Banned User

Post#50 » by THEmasterWAYNE » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:21 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
BlackMamba wrote:pretty good match, during the 3rd set i thought verdasco had a chance, but he started to look weaker (mentally) than nadal.

It had better. Roger knows Roland Garros is coming up and everyone knows how that ended up last year.

I think that Roland Garros was the most lopsided score (6-1 6-3 6-0) in Grand Slam history, Federer only won 4 games. I wonder if there ever was a more lopsided score, hard to imagine since most Finals are close (at least one close set) the next best I've heard of is Hewitt over Nalbandian 6-1 6-3 6-2 Wimbledon Final (that was an extremely weak era).
GQStylin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,636

Post#51 » by GQStylin » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:04 am

What an AMAZING match between Verdasco and Nadal!! :o One of the best I've ever seen by far, not only for the drama but for the sheer quality of shots that both players were hitting even 4-5 hours into the match! Just when you thought one or the other player was about to break and go down, he comes back fighting with more energy and heart pushing each other right to the limits! This was truly one match for the ages.

As for Federer vs. Nadal, I really don't know who will win. I'm pulling for Roger, but recently he seems to be intimidated by Nadal for some reason and he doesn't always play his best. If Fed can play like he did against Del Potro or Roddick or even better and hit his God mode, then with the extra day's rest he will win. But with the intimidation factor of playing Nadal and how he's been playing, who knows if Roger can pull it off.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,478

Post#52 » by Slava » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:38 am

This is what sets Nadal apart from other champions. Any other player would have folded against the quality and form of someone line Verdasco but Nadal's superior physical fitness and court coverage puts him in a good position all the time and he can pounce just wheh the opponent lets up the slightest bit.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,698

Post#53 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:32 pm

THEmasterWAYNE wrote:Watching the Verdasco match, most of Federer's usual winners are going to come back. Nadal in straight sets will replace Federer as the main threat to Sampras' slams record.

lol, well I think that's a bit much. Nadal may indeed end up with more majors than Federer, but in order for Nadal alone to keep Federer from surpassing Sampras, Nadal will probably have to win at least 15 of the next 16 majors. Good luck with that.

Now, Nadal becoming a bigger threat to win the Grand Slam than Federer ever was, that happens with a win tomorrow.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
THEmasterWAYNE
Banned User

Post#54 » by THEmasterWAYNE » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:42 pm

Nadal has 5 slams, and if he wins all the slams this year he has 9 slams. Federer 13. So its really not that different. Murray and Tsonga will be big threats too, and unless Verdasco is a flash in the pan then he too could makes some noise. Getting slams won't be as easy as it was back when Hewitt and Safin were the biggest threats to Federer. I think Nadal is in a great position to comfortably pass 14 slams because he could end up with 10 Roland Garros titles alone. He can afford to drop a lot of form at Roland Garros (get older, decline) and still be good enough to win there.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,698

Post#55 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Feb 1, 2009 12:47 am

THEmasterWAYNE wrote:Nadal has 5 slams, and if he wins all the slams this year he has 9 slams. Federer 13. So its really not that different. Murray and Tsonga will be big threats too, and unless Verdasco is a flash in the pan then he too could makes some noise. Getting slams won't be as easy as it was back when Hewitt and Safin were the biggest threats to Federer. I think Nadal is in a great position to comfortably pass 14 slams because he could end up with 10 Roland Garros titles alone. He can afford to drop a lot of form at Roland Garros (get older, decline) and still be good enough to win there.

The competition is there for both of them. No matter how you look at it, it's going to be awful tough for anything other than Federer to stop Federer from breaking the record.

But like I said, Nadal certainly has a chance to break 14, and break Federer's then record, before he's done. Truthfully, as long as they can hold up to a solid longevity, Federer and Nadal probably go down as the top 2 of all time.

One thing I was thinking about today: Federer and Nadal have already (as of last Wimbledon) been in more finals matchups against each other than any other men's rivalry in the open era. Amazing.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Point forward
Head Coach
And1: 285

Post#56 » by Point forward » Sun Feb 1, 2009 11:43 am

3rd set, 5-5. Superb match. Federer seems fitter but Nadal is pulling all those gutsy angled shots.
Jogi Löw to Mario Götze wrote:Show the world that you are better than Messi.
Point forward
Head Coach
And1: 285

Post#57 » by Point forward » Sun Feb 1, 2009 1:15 pm

Congratz Rafa. Great 5 set win.
Jogi Löw to Mario Götze wrote:Show the world that you are better than Messi.
GQStylin
Assistant Coach

Post#58 » by GQStylin » Sun Feb 1, 2009 1:19 pm

Sad....Sad freaking sad. :cry: :(

Can't believe how much choking Federer did this whole match. So many set points in the 3rd and he couldn't convert. :cry:

Just sad to see Federer going down like this. :( I just don't get why Nadal is so in his head. Roger is strong against everyone else, but against Rafa he is so mentally weak. Sad... :(
MAQ
RealGM
And1: 2,900

Post#59 » by MAQ » Sun Feb 1, 2009 1:20 pm

roger gave nadal that final set...plus that point for the advantage was all messed up by the fan...ugh...that's just a bad way to end a great match
GYBE wrote:I don't think my behaviour changes at all when I'm drunk. But when I'm wasted, my girlfriend becomes a real klutz. She starts walking into doors and falling down stairs. Weird.
GQStylin
Assistant Coach

Post#60 » by GQStylin » Sun Feb 1, 2009 1:39 pm

Awww tough to see Roger in tears. :( He must be so crushed getting beat on two of his best surfaces by Rafa that he's owned for so long. :cry:

Return to General Other Sports Talk