Roland Garros 2012

A place to talk about sports that are not covered by other forums and the gateway to other sports getting their own forums.

Moderators: Doctor MJ, kdawg32086

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,660

Re: Roland Garros 2012 

Post#61 » by Doctor MJ » Fri Jun 8, 2012 3:15 am

UssjTrunks wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:Tell you what: It will be a very interesting milestone if Federer gets to the finals. It will mean he'll have 6 French finals appearances. This will mean he'll be tied for 2nd all-time with Borg (Rafa #1 of course), and he'll have more French Open finals than Australian finals.

He'll also have just one title to show for it. ;)

I think it's a key rite of passage as a tennis fan when you realize that it doesn't make sense to hold it against a guy for losing to a player universally deemed to be superior than him unless you're comparing him to that player.

Rafa is the clay GOAT and would have made anyone in history go through a run where they didn't win the French. That Federer had to play him should be used as a reason to imply that somehow what he did is less impressive than, say, Guga. Fed at Roland Garros is quite clearly more impressive than someone like that.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
raptor21_85
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#62 » by raptor21_85 » Fri Jun 8, 2012 3:37 am

El Rafa is clay god!! but Federer has shown he's a helluva player on any court...
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,994

Post#63 » by Turk Nowitzki » Fri Jun 8, 2012 2:52 pm

Rafa has to be rooting for Federer now. I think he's probably going to win the title either way but Djokovic has proven to have the ability to out grind Rafa on the biggest stages. Roger hasn't done that in a long time.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,969

Post#64 » by Rich Rane » Fri Jun 8, 2012 4:17 pm

What the hell is wrong with Federer and Djokovic right now?

:sad: Errani beat Kirilenko...
cb4_89
RealGM
And1: 517

Post#65 » by cb4_89 » Fri Jun 8, 2012 5:19 pm

Djokovic sons Federer.

4th straight slam finals with Rafa and Djokovic. If Djokovic wins, he would win all 4 against Rafa. That would be pretty big domination.

Roger is pretty close to being done I think. He is clearly the 3rd best player in the world and can still play at a huge level but I don't see him beating Djokovic AND Rafa in the same tourney. An injury to one/both of those two and he has a chance but as is I think it is curtains for Roger.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#66 » by Rich Rane » Fri Jun 8, 2012 5:23 pm

cb4_89 wrote:4th straight slam finals with Rafa and Djokovic. If Djokovic wins, he would win all 4 against Rafa. That would be pretty big domination.

No way in hell that happens. Nadal has pretty much embarrassed everyone he's faced in this slam.

Roger is pretty close to being done I think. He is clearly the 3rd best player in the world and can still play at a huge level but I don't see him beating Djokovic AND Rafa in the same tourney. An injury to one/both of those two and he has a chance but as is I think it is curtains for Roger.

I think he has a better shot in the Olympics and Wimbledon. Grass does him well.
cb4_89
RealGM

Post#67 » by cb4_89 » Fri Jun 8, 2012 6:37 pm

I know it is unlikely but it would be pretty huge if it happened. I don't think it is a "no way in hell" level of dominance though.
va-mos
Banned User
And1: 16

Post#68 » by va-mos » Fri Jun 8, 2012 7:37 pm

Now I see the purpose of Djokovic winning that 6 hour Australian Open final. It has set up a scenario where Nadal can prevent Djokovic from winning 4 straight slams while Nadal wins his record-setting 7th Roland Garros. Talk about a swing. One guy will have the door shut in his face at the stroke of midnight, while the other will officially become the king of Roland Garros (one title more than Borg) and join Sampras as the only man to have won a slam title 7 times. Nadal and Sampras will be brothers. And it is a very rare thing to be the clear-cut leader of a slam:

Australian Open- Agassi 4, Federer 4.
Roland Garros- Nadal 7.
Wimbledon- Sampras 7.
US Open- Sampras 5, Federer 5, Connors 5.
cb4_89
RealGM

Post#69 » by cb4_89 » Fri Jun 8, 2012 7:52 pm

The purpose? What the hell? It isn't like Nadal lost on purpose to Djokovic.

Also Nole has the chance to tie the Aussie open titles next year. The weakest of the slams for sure but not too shabby.
va-mos
Banned User
And1: 16

Post#70 » by va-mos » Fri Jun 8, 2012 7:56 pm

cb4_89 wrote:The purpose? What the hell? It isn't like Nadal lost on purpose to Djokovic.

Also Nole has the chance to tie the Aussie open titles next year. The weakest of the slams for sure but not too shabby.

I didn't mean it that way :D
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#71 » by Rich Rane » Fri Jun 8, 2012 9:06 pm

cb4_89 wrote:I know it is unlikely but it would be pretty huge if it happened. I don't think it is a "no way in hell" level of dominance though.

It's just...the guy hasn't lost a set and he's only been broken once. The guy is just so freaking dominant on clay and Djokovic has been a bit streaky in this slam so far.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,581

Post#72 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Jun 8, 2012 10:22 pm

Djokovic becomes arguable for GOAT if he wins tomorrow. Like not "will eventually be in the mix", I mean if he retired right after that win he'd be in my mix for GOAT. The combination of 4 straight majors after his 2011 record and taking taking out Nadal playing at a more dominant level any major has seen would take things to a scary level for him. /hyperbole
cb4_89
RealGM

Post#73 » by cb4_89 » Fri Jun 8, 2012 11:49 pm

The thing Djokovic has going for him is that he has faced and beaten both Rafa and Roger. He can't have jock riders saying stuff like he played in an easy era and that Rafa or Roger would wipe the courts with him. Also winning on Sunday makes his case even better.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,581

Post#74 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Jun 9, 2012 12:15 am

That's the thing. I will probably go to my grave thinking prime Federer was the most impressive player I've ever watched, but his first 10 majors he got to play Philippoussis, Safin, Roddick, Hewitt, Roddick, Agassi, Baghdatis, 2006 Nadal, Roddick, Gonzalez in the Finals, before sh*t got real competition wise. How many more majors does 2007-2010 Djokovic get against that? It might be the difference between Novak sitting on 11 majors instead of 5 right now, at which point we'd be saying "Federer's GS record is kind of f*cked" We also don't know whether Federer is just a flat out more mentally weak player than Nadal and Djokovic, someone had a good quote in one of these threads about how Federer seems to be declining mentally more than physically, but maybe he was always like this and it just took until 2008 until the talent competition wise was enough to expose it. I would be afraid of watching 2011 Djokovic vs 2006 Federer if you gave me the option, I'd be afraid of the mystique being lost like when they made Ken Jennings play the tournament of champions finalists on Jeopardy and he lost

I'm not going to give a lot of weight to Djokovic having say 8-11 majors vs Federer's 16 if we're comparing them at the end of their career, the competition factor for 03-06 Federer vs 07-10 Djokovic makes it an unfair count IMO. With that said maybe we shouldn't count out Djokovic's chance to put up a Federer like GS number. At the French Open of the year he turned 25 Federer actually only had 7 majors. 2004 Federer was only a year younger than 2011 Djokovic! Maybe instead of "Early Federer was way more dominant than Djokovic" the reality of the situation is closer to "Early Djokovic was actually much better than early Federer, while mid career/prime Djokovic is now equalling mid career/prime Federer"
cb4_89
RealGM

Post#75 » by cb4_89 » Sat Jun 9, 2012 12:52 am

The flip side to that is if you take out Roger or Rafa from existence, Djokovic has no need to get to the level he is at today. He likely wins a bunch of titles but would get demolished by this version of Nole. Kind of hard to find the motivation to get better when nobody really gives you a challenge.

Rafa forced Federer to become a better player and then beat that version of Federer as well. Djokovic is the one preventing Rafa from completely destroying Federer's GS records. At this stage Roger is not and cannot be the GOAT. Rafa has too many wins over him in grand slam events. And this is coming from a huge Rafa hater during the heat of their rivalry. But Djokovic has started to get Rafa's number as well. That is why if Nole wins Sunday he might have a huge case for GOAT and would easily be GOAT if he kept beating Roger and Rafa for more slams (even if he never got to 16).
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#76 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Jun 9, 2012 8:30 am

cb4_89 wrote:Roger is pretty close to being done I think. He is clearly the 3rd best player in the world and can still play at a huge level but I don't see him beating Djokovic AND Rafa in the same tourney. An injury to one/both of those two and he has a chance but as is I think it is curtains for Roger.

Well, I'd say we're incredibly spoiled right now with the consistent domination from the top guys, and it's causing us to forget how easy it is for slip ups to happen. I definitely agree that Roger will never win a tourney where both Rafa & Nola are playing peak tennis again, but I don't think it's all that far fetched for both of them to have something go wrong in the same tourney.

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#77 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Jun 9, 2012 8:32 am

VAMOSFIRE wrote:Now I see the purpose of Djokovic winning that 6 hour Australian Open final. It has set up a scenario where Nadal can prevent Djokovic from winning 4 straight slams while Nadal wins his record-setting 7th Roland Garros.

You just sound crazy talking like that.

There is no god pulling strings to make your guy look good, Rafa's just an inferior player on all surfaces except one.

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#78 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Jun 9, 2012 8:55 am

Dr Mufasa wrote:That's the thing. I will probably go to my grave thinking prime Federer was the most impressive player I've ever watched, but his first 10 majors he got to play Philippoussis, Safin, Roddick, Hewitt, Roddick, Agassi, Baghdatis, 2006 Nadal, Roddick, Gonzalez in the Finals, before sh*t got real competition wise. How many more majors does 2007-2010 Djokovic get against that? It might be the difference between Novak sitting on 11 majors instead of 5 right now, at which point we'd be saying "Federer's GS record is kind of f*cked" We also don't know whether Federer is just a flat out more mentally weak player than Nadal and Djokovic, someone had a good quote in one of these threads about how Federer seems to be declining mentally more than physically, but maybe he was always like this and it just took until 2008 until the talent competition wise was enough to expose it. I would be afraid of watching 2011 Djokovic vs 2006 Federer if you gave me the option, I'd be afraid of the mystique being lost like when they made Ken Jennings play the tournament of champions finalists on Jeopardy and he lost

I'm not going to give a lot of weight to Djokovic having say 8-11 majors vs Federer's 16 if we're comparing them at the end of their career, the competition factor for 03-06 Federer vs 07-10 Djokovic makes it an unfair count IMO. With that said maybe we shouldn't count out Djokovic's chance to put up a Federer like GS number. At the French Open of the year he turned 25 Federer actually only had 7 majors. 2004 Federer was only a year younger than 2011 Djokovic! Maybe instead of "Early Federer was way more dominant than Djokovic" the reality of the situation is closer to "Early Djokovic was actually much better than early Federer, while mid career/prime Djokovic is now equalling mid career/prime Federer"

I think the points you bring up deserve to be brought up, and indeed, I think a Nola for peak GOAT argument needs to get strong discussion if he wins here, but I also think people overrate the competition thing, or perhaps underrate other factors.

In 2006, Federer went 92-5 and only lost to 2 players all year.

Rafa's never been anywhere near that kind of dominance, and Nola only got near that in 2011 (he's not close in 2012).

I want to emphasize the losing to only 2 players thing: I agree that the competition at the top got fiercer with the arrival of Nola & co, but that doesn't mean that all competition got fiercer. Having the possibility of facing extremely tough opponents at the end of a tournament is not an excuse for losing to pedestrian players who are no different from any other era.

Simply put then: Peak Federer showed a superior ability to consistently win matches than Rafa or Nola, or anyone else.

Now first, the obvious counter to this is "Who cares about minor tournaments?". I'll respond up front: It's not just minor tournaments. We've had years to see Rafa, and it's only in the last year that he's managed to actually achieve the kind of "finals every Slam" dominance Fed did for forever. Rafa's inability to win as often outside of slams has gone right along with his performances in slams, and so any talk for Rafa along these lines really needs to begin with "I understand Rafa wasn't as good as peak Fed before 2011, but I think it's different now..."

Regarding Nola on this front, we need to watch him more first. I'll say right now: If he goes on a 8 major win streak while going through a healthy Rafa, I'll be right on board the Nola = peak GOAT bandwagon.

cb4_89
RealGM

Post#79 » by cb4_89 » Sat Jun 9, 2012 3:12 pm

So if Novak wins the French, and then Wimbledon, US,Aussie and then French Again over Rafa, you will say he is the best of all time?
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#80 » by Rich Rane » Sat Jun 9, 2012 5:28 pm

Sharapova wins. A lot of work to make it back to the top from her injuries. It certainly helps that the top women's rankings are erratic, but I'm happy for her nonetheless.

Return to General Other Sports Talk