OT: Djokovic one match away from Calendar Grand Slam

A place to talk about sports that are not covered by other forums and the gateway to other sports getting their own forums.

Moderators: Doctor MJ, kdawg32086

Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,522

Re: OT: Djokovic one match away from Calendar Grand Slam 

Post#61 » by Michael Lucky » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:06 pm

Sgt Major wrote:
bamheat wrote:Djoker is right there but due to the fact most of his career he played against extremely weak competition. If Djokers age aligned with Rogers...we wouldn't even be having this convo

Ahahahahahahahahhhyhahhyhhhhahahaah
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Did you really write this? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

lol considering he's played over 50 matches against Nadal and Federer, yeah this is a ridiculous post. The only one out of the three that racked up slams during a weak era was Federer from 04 to 07.
carlquincy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,176

Post#62 » by carlquincy » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:07 pm

Nate505 wrote:Not that I know a ton about tennis, but with the resumes of Federer/Nadal/Djokovic it seems the argument on which one is the greatest ever is a pretty small one.

Actually, its one of the easiest argument if we are just talking about those 3.

Djokovic leads in almost every metric available.
Eric Bieniemy
Pro Prospect
And1: 575

Post#63 » by Eric Bieniemy » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:20 pm

Noctilux wrote:Djokovic is the only anti-vaxxer I give a free pass. The rest can drop dead. He’s my second favorite player of all time, behind the great Borg.

Watching older movies, I always wondered how the hunan psyche could devolve to a point where tgey participate in large groups of gathering to watch a decapitation (Braveheart), a fight to the death (The Gladiator), a lynching (Rosewood), human ritual sacrifice (Apocolypto), or a game show where multiple people are murdered (The Running Man and The Hunger Games).

These stories, some fictional, some historical, of the devolution of the human spirit seem to be playing out in these times, a time where we openly and brazenly can wish death on another group of people based on a fear of losing a hospital bed.

I hope people realize that we are sinking to extreme moral low ground. History repeats itself. If you hate a group of people, going so far as to wish death, then you are but a hair away from gathering them all up, throwing them all in an oven, and flipping the switch. Sound familiar? The people who did this, they also feared annihilation. They feared being overrun too.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#64 » by FinnTheHuman » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:24 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:Lmao I’m thoroughly enjoying the tears of the GOATovic haters. One guy even claims that Nadal is playing a worse brand of tennis purposely because it sells more tickets :lol:

It's true to an extent...he's just not an enjoyable player to watch. That's why literally every crowd doesn't get behind him lol

His game is not unfun, f.e. in the last match va Nadal he had more winners and less unforced errors than Nadal, he’s attacking more than you care to admit. You’re just a biased hater, sorry.
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,905

Post#65 » by Johnny Firpo » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:32 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:Lmao I’m thoroughly enjoying the tears of the GOATovic haters. One guy even claims that Nadal is playing a worse brand of tennis purposely because it sells more tickets :lol:

It's true to an extent...he's just not an enjoyable player to watch. That's why literally every crowd doesn't get behind him lol

His game is not unfun, f.e. in the last match va Nadal he had more winners and less unforced errors than Nadal, he’s attacking more than you care to admit. You’re just a biased hater, sorry.

Mostly counter winners, he isn't really out there dictating play.
har13
Analyst
And1: 1,520

Post#66 » by har13 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:36 pm

I m watching tennis for 35 years and i was a fan of many great players but i must admit i just watch the games, i have no knowledge.

Having said that i believe that maybe Federer top game can be better than Novak but he was very inconsistent so for me Novak is the GOAT, simple as that, Nadal is the GOAT on clay ever and no one is even close, he can make Nadal and Roger look like not even top 100 players, overall tho Novak grand slams and even "one to one" games make him the GOAT, maybe his game is not that impressive but the results prove otherwise.

Maybe i m not so objective cause he is my guy, i don't know, he hurt my feelings in Roland Garros beating Tsitsipas but still..i dont believe Tsitsipas will even win a Grand slam so it was his big chance to do it :D

(I know you hate Tsitsipas but i must support him..watching 35 years of tennis i never thought Greece could have even a top 50 player :D , now we have him and Maria and i must support them.. :D )
#FreeChuckDiesel

Sorry for my english guys. :(

It’s a magical weed.

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,338

Post#67 » by wco81 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:38 pm

There are far more Serbians on RGM than one would have thought.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant

Post#68 » by FinnTheHuman » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:44 pm

Johnny Firpo wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

Mostly counter winners, he isn't really out there dictating play.

Again, not true, I’m pretty sure Nadal has more more ‘counter winners’ than Djokovic in his career. But ‘counter winners’ mostly mean that the attacker didn’t set up the attack well enough, and didn’t actually dictate the play.
BBgun
Analyst
And1: 1,210

Post#69 » by BBgun » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:45 pm

bamheat wrote:Roger is the Greatest of All Time. That isn't even a debate.

Nadal is the King of Clay. That isn't even a debate.

Djoker is right there but due to the fact most of his career he played against extremely weak competition. If Djokers age aligned with Rogers...we wouldn't even be having this convo

You know the argument works both ways right? Federer didn't have to play Djoker in the early to mid 00s when he was racking up most of his grand slams. He lost to a 20 year old Novak in the 08 Australian Open semis when he was still in his absolute prime. Novak has beaten both Nadal and Federer enough times in Grand Slam events to dispell the whole "weaker era" myth.

Simply put, he's one of the greatest disrupters in sports history. He burst onto the scene at a time when Federer and Nadal were winning almost every tournament imagineable, matched their level of play, and eventually exceeded it. He has a winning h2h record against every great player from his era, including Roger and Rafa. He's beaten Rafa twice at the French Open which is one of the most difficult feats to accomplish in professional sports. And the list goes on...

To me, he's the GOAT, and pretty indisputably too.
Richard Miller
Veteran
And1: 2,890

Post#70 » by Richard Miller » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:51 pm

Noctilux wrote:Djokovic is the only anti-vaxxer I give a free pass. The rest can drop dead. He’s my second favorite player of all time, behind the great Borg.

Djokovic recently attended a concert in NYC where it was mandatory to be vaccinated to be allowed in, so most likely he is vaccinated too.
Blazers-1977
Veteran
And1: 643

Post#71 » by Blazers-1977 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:06 pm

Sgt Major wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:Is he better than Roger Federer was?
Yeah. Rafa too.

Federer is behind both of them.

Rafa isn’t better than Federer lol
DaPessimist
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,587

Post#72 » by DaPessimist » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:09 pm

I stated earlier that Djoker's resume makes a great argument for GOAT status.

But people using H2H results with Roger are being disingenuous. Many of those H2H matches occurred when Federer was clearly out of his physical prime. Roger has been able to hang around because of his insane talent, but he's been physically declining since 2013.
Mephariel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,696

Post#73 » by Mephariel » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:14 pm

Mickey8 wrote:
Dr Aki wrote:
Mickey8 wrote:Can you elaborate why he's an a.....e, because Western media demonizes him like they did Lendl??? Do you live with him, did you spend any time alone with him so you know that from the experience :-? I am pretty sure he's loved and respected in the other countries outside of the Western Hemisphere :wink: He pooped at Federer's and Nada's party, owned both of them head to head and he's on the brink to cement the Goat status , haters gonna hate 8-)

djokovic is an anti-vaxxer, but other than that, i don't think the media demonises him all that much

he's just not as marketable as federer or nadal, because he plays brick wall defensive tennis

He never said he was against vaccines nice try, its a western media that are spinning and twisting his words, it should be the personal choice anyways , only morons can trust snake oil salesmen like doctor Fauci.

Yeah cause Fauci is the only doctor in the world who believes in vaccines... :roll:
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant

Post#74 » by FinnTheHuman » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:26 pm

DaPessimist wrote:I stated earlier that Djoker's resume makes a great argument for GOAT status.

But people using H2H results with Roger are being disingenuous. Many of those H2H matches occurred when Federer was clearly out of his physical prime. Roger has been able to hang around because of his insane talent, but he's been physically declining since 2013.

You're the one being disingenuous here. Djokovic and Federer had 19/50 matches before Novak's physical prime started in 2011 (before that, he had a lot of health issues and forfeited a lot of matches, plus only 1 GS won until that point). Then they had 10 more matches until 2013.

So, ~40% of the matches they played with only Federer in his prime, ~20% of the matches with both of them in their primes, and ~40% of the matches with only Novak in his prime or neither Federer nor Novak in their primes. So yeah, Djokovic's resume doesn't only make a great argument for GOAT status, it screams GOAT status.

edit: And all of that hinges on your claim that Federer started physically declining in 2013, aged 32. Maybe he should've dropped some muscle to extend his prime like Novak? But then how much does he win as much against Novak while they were both in their primes, without all those muscles used to serve >200km/h serves, or those devastating forehand winners?

So all these theories like prime, physical decline and other stuff to excuse Fed or Nadal are lame, because who knows how worse they would've been if they took the steps Djokovic did to extend his career? Their primes overlapped enough for everybody to form an educated opinion that Djokovic is simply the goat.
ceiling raiser
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,728

Post#75 » by ceiling raiser » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:28 pm

mixerball wrote:you did this thread just to jinx him

I actually don't want to do that, I like Djokovic the best of the big 3. I'm okay with Nadal. Never liked Federer for some reason.

Djokovic losing at the Olympics was really disappointing to me, but as I noted in the OP, I do think he could have won in five sets.
Now that's the difference between first and last place.
carlquincy
Sixth Man

Post#76 » by carlquincy » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:31 pm

DaPessimist wrote:I stated earlier that Djoker's resume makes a great argument for GOAT status.

Yeah, esp when Fed is beat juggernauts like Roddick and Hewitt in his prime.
carlquincy
Sixth Man

Post#77 » by carlquincy » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:32 pm

carlquincy wrote:

Yeah, esp when Fed was beating juggernauts like Roddick and Hewitt in his prime.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,710

Post#78 » by rzzzzz » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:48 pm

Eric Bieniemy wrote:Is Sampras the last great serve and volleyer? Where does that dude rank?

Didn’t Pete have the record until Federer passed him? Not sure when Edberg won a few, but that was it for serve and volley. They surely competed against a lot of great spinny baseliners. Don’t know why no one else could be competitive with that tact afterwards. Except, of course, all the majors slowed down their surfaces so the ball bounced higher, which favored the big hitters. Even Wimbledon changed to some special “slow” grass. Which I suspect had some effect between the big 3.
DaPessimist
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,587

Post#79 » by DaPessimist » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:49 pm

carlquincy wrote:

Yeah, esp when Fed is beat juggernauts like Roddick and Hewitt in his prime.

Who exactly did Djoker beat this year to win 3 Majors? Nothing but young, unproven players. Most who had never even been in a Major final.

You beat who they put in front of you.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,522

Post#80 » by Michael Lucky » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:52 pm

Not really when you consider a lot of Federer's wins against Djoko happened before he entered his prime and was in the middle of his.

Return to General Other Sports Talk