Wimbledon 2011

A place to talk about sports that are not covered by other forums and the gateway to other sports getting their own forums.

Moderators: Doctor MJ, kdawg32086

GQStylin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,636

Re: Wimbledon 2011 

Post#81 » by GQStylin » Fri Jul 1, 2011 6:54 pm

What a tease Murray was. Wins the first set and gives me hope and then Rafa takes over and wins pretty easy. :(

Cmon Novak, stop Nadal from winning another slam!! :-? :cry:
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,659

Post#82 » by Baphomet » Fri Jul 1, 2011 7:13 pm

GQStylin wrote:What a tease Murray was. Wins the first set and gives me hope and then Rafa takes over and wins pretty easy. :(

Cmon Novak, stop Nadal from winning another slam!! :-? :cry:

Here's hoping he does. Novak hasn't looked completely dominant in this year's Wimbledon but I expect him to go at Rafa hard. Regardless of the outcome he's gonna be #1 which is pleasing, though I'd be much happier if he had the Wimbledon title to go with it.
kNicksGmen
Analyst
And1: 524

Post#83 » by kNicksGmen » Fri Jul 1, 2011 9:46 pm

BULLZ1LLA wrote:(This Wimbledon title makes it 5 of the last 6 slams won by Rafa. I never thought I'd live to see a greater athlete than Jordan, but here he is, and winning at a faster rate as he gets older, basically because he improves and adds to his game each year, not unlike Jordan)

major lulz at comparing nadal to jordan. nadal hasn't even surpassed federer yet in this era. even if federer doesn't win any more nadal has a ways to go to catch him.
BULLZ1LLA
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#84 » by BULLZ1LLA » Fri Jul 1, 2011 10:47 pm

kNicksGmen wrote:major lulz at comparing nadal to jordan. nadal hasn't even surpassed federer yet in this era. even if federer doesn't win any more nadal has a ways to go to catch him.

(I think Federer will win another slam or 2. He said he wants to play as long as Agassi did and see the next generations, so I think some draws will open up along the way and he will get opportunities to add to his total)
Ong_dynasty
Head Coach
And1: 351

Post#85 » by Ong_dynasty » Sat Jul 2, 2011 12:01 am

kNicksGmen wrote:
BULLZ1LLA wrote:(This Wimbledon title makes it 5 of the last 6 slams won by Rafa. I never thought I'd live to see a greater athlete than Jordan, but here he is, and winning at a faster rate as he gets older, basically because he improves and adds to his game each year, not unlike Jordan)

major lulz at comparing nadal to jordan. nadal hasn't even surpassed federer yet in this era. even if federer doesn't win any more nadal has a ways to go to catch him.

nothing against you, but as a whole of how we compare "g.o.a.t.s". we are literally witnessing the best player or a top3 player in my opinion but for some reason we belive he has to surpass federer grand slams? even though he has made the so called goat literally cry on tv?

as i said before, i am like u I would probably rate federer as a goat, but logically it does not make any sense since there is a player who is better than him.
Mike Hunt
Lead Assistant
And1: 37

Post#86 » by Mike Hunt » Sat Jul 2, 2011 12:25 am

I hadn't watched much tennis of late but I've really enjoyed the past few days (I especially enjoyed seeing Sharapova win the first set of her match after looking so awful for the first 3 points). I tend to enjoy the women's game more than the men's but this tournament has been pretty even.

I am pulling for Sharapova in the final and in upcoming events. I like that there is parity in the women's game but you can't always have random/first-time winners. Sometimes, it's nice to have a "name" win a couple. Then, it introduces comparisons to other players who have X major titles and discussions about how many more majors that player might get, etc..

On the men's side, I'm pulling for Djokovic. I don't dislike Nadal and I would love to see him amass 17 majors but I just prefer Djokovic's game. For a while, it was Federer/Nadal all the time with Djokovic stealing a couple majors in between. Now, I'm hoping for a similar dynamic between Nadal and Djokovic with maybe a Murray coming in to steal one sometimes.
Dolgopolov
Ballboy

Post#87 » by Dolgopolov » Sat Jul 2, 2011 4:45 am

BULLZ1LLA wrote:
kNicksGmen wrote:

(Yep shame on the 25-year-old for not surpassing the 30-year-old's 16 slams. Won't be long now though, 11 slams by Monday. Sampras said this week that he thinks Rafa will overtake himself and Federer. Rafa already has the record for most Masters Shields to compliment it too. Rafa is the only man in history to win Roland Garros, Wimbledon and US Open on 3 different surfaces in the same year. Very good shot at winning another Singles Gold Medal too, as next year's Olympics is at Wimbledon)

Why do you put brackets around every post? It makes no sense
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,470

Post#88 » by Slava » Sat Jul 2, 2011 5:26 am

One striking quality about Nadal is that I have really only seen 3 other athletes with the same kind of mental toughness.

1. Michael Schumacher
2. Michael Jordan
3. Diego Maradona

The way he just sat out and straegically called the trainer against Del Potro might seem sneaky but its just brilliant game plan to halt and slow down and take his time when he needed it. It also fked up Del Potro's concentration to no end.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
BULLZ1LLA
Rookie

Post#89 » by BULLZ1LLA » Sat Jul 2, 2011 8:20 am

SlavaMedvedenko wrote:One striking quality about Nadal is that I have really only seen 3 other athletes with the same kind of mental toughness.

1. Michael Schumacher
2. Michael Jordan
3. Diego Maradona

The way he just sat out and straegically called the trainer against Del Potro might seem sneaky but its just brilliant game plan to halt and slow down and take his time when he needed it. It also fked up Del Potro's concentration to no end.

(Nadal held his ankle/foot when he won a point at 6-5 to give him set-point on Del Potro's serve. Then he tanked set-point and 2 other points to finish the game quickly by slapping easy balls into the net. So I'm not sure how strategic it was. Looked like he just wanted to get off the court to see the trainer because he feared the injury was his 2004 broken foot [in fact he looked 100% sure it was until the trainer assessed it]

Dolgopolov wrote:Why do you put brackets around every post? It makes no sense

It's just a forum routine/tradition, not trying to win a grammar competition)
Dolgopolov
Ballboy

Post#90 » by Dolgopolov » Sat Jul 2, 2011 8:39 am

BULLZ1LLA wrote:
SlavaMedvedenko wrote:One striking quality about Nadal is that I have really only seen 3 other athletes with the same kind of mental toughness.

1. Michael Schumacher
2. Michael Jordan
3. Diego Maradona

(Rafa held his ankle/foot when he won a point at 6-5 to give him set-point on Del Potro's serve. Then he tanked set-point and 2 other points to finish the game quickly by slapping easy balls into the net. So I'm not sure how strategic it was. Looked like he just wanted to get off the court to see the trainer
because he feared the injury was his 2004 broken foot [in fact he looked 100% sure it was, but the trainer told him the pain wasn't coming from an area that could be broken]

How's it a routine/ tradition if only you do it
Anyway i think djokovic is looking good for the final, He hasn't had the best tournament, but his level has improved as he went along. Djokovic has moved a level above rafa this year and he should prove it with a fairly comfortable win in the final to take him to 5-0 against rafa this year
BULLZ1LLA
Rookie

Post#91 » by BULLZ1LLA » Sat Jul 2, 2011 9:23 am

Dolgopolov wrote:
BULLZ1LLA wrote:

1. Michael Schumacher
2. Michael Jordan
3. Diego Maradona

(Rafa held his ankle/foot when he won a point at 6-5 to give him set-point on Del Potro's serve. Then he tanked set-point and 2 other points to finish the game quickly by slapping easy balls into the net. So I'm not sure how strategic it was. Looked like he just wanted to get off the court to see the trainer
because he feared the injury was his 2004 broken foot [in fact he looked 100% sure it was, but the trainer told him the pain wasn't coming from an area that could be broken]

How's it a routine/ tradition if only you do it
Anyway i think djokovic is looking good for the final, He hasn't had the best tournament, but his level has improved as he went along. Djokovic has moved a level above rafa this year and he should prove it with a fairly comfortable win in the final to take him to 5-0 against rafa this year

(It's my routine/tradition. It shouldn't bother anyone, apart from maybe children....I mean HEY, THIS AIN'T NO GRAMMAR COMP!
I agree I think Djokovic will beat Nadal in this Wimbledon final, but I think Nadal will beat Djokovic at the US Open this year again)
Dolgopolov
Ballboy

Post#92 » by Dolgopolov » Sat Jul 2, 2011 10:00 am

Ok it makes sense now, it's just you doing it, you're living in the past they haven't played in a grand slam since 2010 us open, djokovic is a better player now and has proved that he is a level above rafa now, but I'm sure rafa will have another 'injury' to take away from the new world #1's victory
BULLZ1LLA
Rookie

Post#93 » by BULLZ1LLA » Sat Jul 2, 2011 12:30 pm

Dolgopolov wrote:Ok it makes sense now, it's just you doing it, you're living in the past they haven't played in a grand slam since 2010 us open, djokovic is a better player now and has proved that he is a level above rafa now, but I'm sure rafa will have another 'injury' to take away from the new world #1's victory

(I'm surprised it didn't make sense before.

Djokovic may win Wimbledon, but Nadal will finish this year playing at a higher level than Djokovic)
GQStylin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,636

Post#94 » by GQStylin » Sat Jul 2, 2011 2:44 pm

Crappy women's finals as usual. :roll: Seriously when was the last time there was a really great grandslam women's final??

Maria's serve is ass these days. If she held a few times she would've won her 2nd Wimbledon, but nooooooo she had to bring her crappiest, most putrid serve today. :noway:
Mike Hunt
Lead Assistant

Post#95 » by Mike Hunt » Sat Jul 2, 2011 2:59 pm

I'm a big fan of NBC's coverage of tennis. I've always been. But, I was getting extremely annoyed with having to see Sasha Vujacic's face every time anything moderately interesting happened in the match. He just has one of those faces that you love to hate (or at least I do) and with each flash, I just wanted to punch him more and more. I understand the desire for NBC to highlight him and I'd be ok with something like: one mention at the beginning of the match. Maybe one in the middle if you're talking about Sharapova's personal life and one at the end of the match. The way they saturated the screen with his mug made me hope Sharapova never competes for a major again, and I've been as fan of her's since 2004.
doc.end
General Manager
And1: 191

Post#96 » by doc.end » Sat Jul 2, 2011 3:18 pm

:o
GQStylin wrote:Crappy women's finals as usual. :roll: Seriously when was the last time there was a really great grandslam women's final??

Maria's serve is ass these days. If she held a few times she would've won her 2nd Wimbledon, but nooooooo she had to bring her crappiest, most putrid serve today. :noway:
doc.end
General Manager
And1: 191

Post#97 » by doc.end » Sat Jul 2, 2011 3:22 pm

Mike Hunt wrote:I hadn't watched much tennis of late but I've really enjoyed the past few days (I especially enjoyed seeing Sharapova win the first set of her match after looking so awful for the first 3 points). I tend to enjoy the women's game more than the men's but this tournament has been pretty even.

I am pulling for Sharapova in the final and in upcoming events. I like that there is parity in the women's game but you can't always have random/first-time winners. Sometimes, it's nice to have a "name" win a couple. Then, it introduces comparisons to other players who have X major titles and discussions about how many more majors that player might get, etc..

On the men's side, I'm pulling for Djokovic. I don't dislike Nadal and I would love to see him amass 17 majors but I just prefer Djokovic's game. For a while, it was Federer/Nadal all the time with Djokovic stealing a couple majors in between. Now, I'm hoping for a similar dynamic between Nadal and Djokovic with maybe a Murray coming in to steal one sometimes.

Random? Check the rankings, her game and how far she got last year. Not shabby in other grand slams and tournaments either. Everyone all around tweets how deserved win it was.
Mike Hunt
Lead Assistant

Post#98 » by Mike Hunt » Sat Jul 2, 2011 4:26 pm

doc.end wrote:Random? Check the rankings, her game and how far she got last year. Not shabby in other grand slams and tournaments either. Everyone all around tweets how deserved win it was.

I wrote "random/first-time" to include those that are top-10 players who are winning their first grand slams. She absolutely deserved to win (as have all other players who've won slams) and she might very well win a few more.

I was saying that with 4 grand slams, you could start comparing Sharapova to other players with similar career stats, etc. which can make for interesting discussions/debates. With a first time winner, there are no comparisons. The only question you have (and don't get me wrong, it's a compelling one) is "will she win again?".

I thought Sharapova winning Wimbledon 7 years after she first shocked the world in doing so, 3 years after winning her last grand slam and following some pretty serious injuries would have been a better story (and better for women's tennis, in general) than a young top-10 player breaking through for her first win. If Kvitova goes on to play very well in the next few grand slams, then it's a non-issue. I'm just saying that a fringe fan will not be drawn into the sport by seeing a different player named champion each grand slam. Fans (outside of the hardcore) tend to only truly invest in a sport when they can tie themselves to a player or a storyline.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,816

Post#99 » by Raps in 4 » Sat Jul 2, 2011 6:12 pm

Mike Hunt wrote:I'm a big fan of NBC's coverage of tennis. I've always been. But, I was getting extremely annoyed with having to see Sasha Vujacic's face every time anything moderately interesting happened in the match. He just has one of those faces that you love to hate (or at least I do) and with each flash, I just wanted to punch him more and more. I understand the desire for NBC to highlight him and I'd be ok with something like: one mention at the beginning of the match. Maybe one in the middle if you're talking about Sharapova's personal life and one at the end of the match. The way they saturated the screen with his mug made me hope Sharapova never competes for a major again, and I've been as fan of her's since 2004.

Isn't NBC the worst for tennis? I watch Euro streams so I wouldn't know, but people on tennis.com are complaining about them showing taped matches rather than the live thing.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,816

Post#100 » by Raps in 4 » Sat Jul 2, 2011 6:14 pm

Yoga wrote:
AdamTheGreek wrote:Here's to Murray winning tomorrow.

Sharapova has yet to drop a set in this tourney. She definitely needs to hoist that trophy.

Sharapova was hyped for a long time but has only won a few grand slams (two?). I'm neutral on who I want to win between her and Kvitova.

Hopefully Murray wins tomorrow.

Injuries derailed her career.

Return to General Other Sports Talk