Grizzlies Sign D.Rose to 2YR Deal

Moderators: VCfor3, SD2042

SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,414

Grizzlies Sign D.Rose to 2YR Deal 

Post#1 » by SD2042 » Sat Jul 1, 2023 2:32 am

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/272279/Derrick-Rose-Grizzlies-Agree-To-Two-Year-Deal

More of a vet move for the locker room. Not expect a lot of production from the floor aspect.
esvl
Sixth Man
And1: 391

Re: Grizzlies Sign D.Rose to 2YR Deal 

Post#2 » by esvl » Sat Jul 1, 2023 2:39 am

At what price? Can he still play?
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,965

Post#3 » by psman2 » Sat Jul 1, 2023 2:53 am

Hate it. Not even good enough to play for the Knicks in the playoffs but now is suppose to help us. Our last roster spot on Rose is just Turrible. We need a consolation trade now for sure. This cannot be our last move.
esvl
Sixth Man

Post#4 » by esvl » Sat Jul 1, 2023 2:56 am

6.5 AAV?

Fully guaranteed?
esvl
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by esvl » Sat Jul 1, 2023 2:58 am

psman2 wrote:Hate it. Not even good enough to play for the Knicks in the playoffs but now is suppose to help us. Our last roster spot on Rose is just Turrible. We need a consolation trade now for sure. This cannot be our last move.

I guess we wanted someone playing “Ja-style” in his absence to ensure his return goes smoothly. I am not sure DR’s contract is fully guaranteed.

If it’s 3.25 AAV, I can live with that. Not a big deal.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#6 » by VCfor3 » Sat Jul 1, 2023 3:31 am

esvl wrote:6.5 AAV?

Fully guaranteed?

It's the vet minimum for two years. Cheap deal we can get off if needed. Until then a locker room vet who can be our 3rd string PG. It's fine. We still have our MLE and a potential Brooks S&T but we may be mostly done.
esvl
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by esvl » Sat Jul 1, 2023 3:33 am

VCfor3 wrote:
esvl wrote:6.5 AAV?

Fully guaranteed?

It's the vet minimum for two years. Cheap deal we can get off if needed. Until then a locker room vet who can be our 3rd string PG. It's fine. We still have our MLE and a potential Brooks S&T but we may be mostly done.

I am kind of cautiously entertaining the idea of bringing DB back…
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,414

Post#8 » by SD2042 » Sat Jul 1, 2023 3:37 am

esvl wrote:
psman2 wrote:Hate it. Not even good enough to play for the Knicks in the playoffs but now is suppose to help us. Our last roster spot on Rose is just Turrible. We need a consolation trade now for sure. This cannot be our last move.

I guess we wanted someone playing “Ja-style” in his absence to ensure his return goes smoothly. I am not sure DR’s contract is fully guaranteed.

If it’s 3.25 AAV, I can live with that. Not a big deal.

It's a maybe on the 3.25. Sounds about right. My thoughts is that he's guaranteed this upcoming season and be a team option in the 24-25 season as he will be 35 this upcoming season and 36 in the following 24-25 season.
jefe
General Manager
And1: 646

Post#9 » by jefe » Sat Jul 1, 2023 2:27 pm

I like the deal: 1) Mentor for Ja as someone who was the man on a Memphis team once before; 2) Extra ballhandling available during the suspension and, later in the season, injuries to Ja/Smart/Bane; 3) Rose likely ends his career in Memphis after beginning in Memphis with the Tigers; and 4) an extremely team-friendly deal that can be waived without thinking twice if needed.
vanjulio
Sixth Man
And1: 60

Post#10 » by vanjulio » Mon Jul 3, 2023 6:18 pm

We saw DRose play at the Garden February 25, 2023 against the lowly Pelicans. DROSE chants began heavy during timeout midway thru the 4th quarter. He was sitting in his warmups still. But the chants grew louder and louder. Us from Memphis couldnt believe what we were witnessing. Rose sheds his warmups and checks in! He proceeds to jack up a few terrible wide open 3s and turn the ball over. 0 points. 0 Assists . 0 Rebounds. 0 Steals . -5 plusminus. https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/202302250NYK.html I was shocked to discover his career was already over.

Rewind the tape back to 2009 when Rose started getting announced as a starter at NBA arenas. Rose specifically dropped MEMPHIS from his player introductions going against decades of tradition and leaving an immense insult to all who supported his "One and Done" Cinderalla season where he took us to our only championship to get blown away in overtime. Leaving behind all that legacy and turning his back on an entire fan base.

And now he comes crawling back ???? I really don't mind it really but it is just shows you should NEVER burn your bridges when you leave somewhere.
==========================
Memphis Grizzlies Never Die
esvl
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by esvl » Mon Jul 3, 2023 7:47 pm

vanjulio wrote:We saw DRose play at the Garden February 25, 2023 against the lowly Pelicans. DROSE chants began heavy during timeout midway thru the 4th quarter. He was sitting in his warmups still. But the chants grew louder and louder. Us from Memphis couldnt believe what we were witnessing. Rose sheds his warmups and checks in! He proceeds to jack up a few terrible wide open 3s and turn the ball over. 0 points. 0 Assists . 0 Rebounds. 0 Steals . -5 plusminus. https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/202302250NYK.html I was shocked to discover his career was already over.

Rewind the tape back to 2009 when Rose started getting announced as a starter at NBA arenas. Rose specifically dropped MEMPHIS from his player introductions going against decades of tradition and leaving an immense insult to all who supported his "One and Done" Cinderalla season where he took us to our only championship to get blown away in overtime. Leaving behind all that legacy and turning his back on an entire fan base.

And now he comes crawling back ???? I really don't mind it really but it is just shows you should NEVER burn your bridges when you leave somewhere.

Hey dude. We have just experienced same type of emotional *** toward Ja and Brooks. Keep it proudly to yourself. DRosse is a Grizzly now and he is nothing but welcome. No past feelings neither hard nor even light ones.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 10,246

Post#12 » by Stannis » Wed Jul 5, 2023 2:34 am

Knicks were stacked at the guards position. Brunson, Quickly, Grimes, some RJ. He did his work as a veteran in the years prior though.

this is a good move for the Grizzlies since Morant will be out 20 plus games. As vets, Smart and Rose will set Morant straight,

Plus, Knicks declined their TO for Rose. So Rose signed with the Grizz on the vet minimum.

Low risk, High Reward play here.
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 10,246

Post#13 » by Stannis » Wed Jul 5, 2023 2:40 am

jefe wrote:I like the deal: 1) Mentor for Ja as someone who was the man on a Memphis team once before; 2) Extra ballhandling available during the suspension and, later in the season, injuries to Ja/Smart/Bane; 3) Rose likely ends his career in Memphis after beginning in Memphis with the Tigers; and 4) an extremely team-friendly deal that can be waived without thinking twice if needed.

Yeah, I don't get the criticism for this deal.

Super team-friendly contract. Veteran. Memphis hero.

And Ja is going to miss +20 games and could use some mentorship.

Welcome back Derrick Rose!!
Free Palestine

Return to Memphis Grizzlies