Moderators: VCfor3, SD2042

psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,970

Re: Woj: Smart to Memphis 

Post#21 » by psman2 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:22 pm

esvl wrote:
psman2 wrote:
esvl wrote:Kudos to psman2 for exploring the Smart for Jones trade idea for quite some time.

Yep I am on a three year roll. I predicted this one a month ago.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2294441&hilit=Smart

On top of that I predicted the Melton to Philly trade and the Val/Adams deal too on here. I am ready Zach for that assistant GM job.

That’s *** impressive. So what’s next? All-in for DFS?

Depending on what we can get with the MLE….please get Brown. Then I think we try to turn brooks into SNT to a 3rd team and tangle the mem 2024 1st for DFS. Saves the nets a ton of money and get a pick. Problem is DFS might get moved before we can get the SNT going.

Or this smart move might mean we could look at moving on from Adams since Smart is not the greatest shooter and may not like the spacing with Adams. I rather work the brooks SNT angle but it wouldn’t surprise me if Adams is the outgoing salary in the next deal.
esvl
Sixth Man
And1: 391

Post#22 » by esvl » Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:24 pm

psman2 wrote:post

1. Where Brown would fit with Bane and Smart?
2. Re DFS, Ive read it would require more than 1st. Even probably more than 2 1sts. Would you offer 2 1sts? 3 1sts?
3. Re Adams, I don’t believe he has a good standalone value.
psman2
General Manager

Post#23 » by psman2 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:01 pm

esvl wrote:

2. Re DFS, Ive read it would require more than 1st. Even probably more than 2 1sts. Would you offer 2 1sts? 3 1sts?

1. He is not the big 3 we would want but still the best sf on the MlE market. Wing span a little more than brooks. I think he can continue to shot his 3 at his most recent rate. Can run some point too.
2. No one is giving 2 1sts for DFS unless than a gtd late like 25+. If we can wok a trade with the nets getting pure cap and a top 10 protected mem 20224 1st I think that we be about the best offer out there. The nets need to cut salary.
3. He doesn’t have great standalone value but I do think a team like OKC or SA would eat his deal and pitch in some 2nds allowing us to offer pure cap and a 1st for DFS if we are unable to go the brooks SNT route.

Thybulle is another guy we might target. RFA Status and portlands direction make him a little harder to predict. Jrich is another guy we might go after.
esvl
Sixth Man

Post#24 » by esvl » Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:15 pm

psman2 wrote:
esvl wrote:

1. He is not the big 3 we would want but still the best sf on the MlE market. Wing span a little more than brooks. I think he can continue to shot his 3 at his most recent rate. Can run some point too.
2. No one is giving 2 1sts for DFS unless than a gtd late like 25+. If we can wok a trade with the nets getting pure cap and a top 10 protected mem 20224 1st I think that we be about the best offer out there. The nets need to cut salary.
3. He doesn’t have great standalone value but I do think a team like OKC or SA would eat his deal and pitch in some 2nds allowing us to offer pure cap and a 1st for DFS if we are unable to go the brooks SNT route.

Thybulle is another guy we might target. RFA Status and portlands direction make him a little harder to predict. Jrich is another guy we might go after.

1. I am sold ))
2. Cap + 1st is a reasonable price. Sold too.
Look at this: https://www.sportskeeda.com/amp/basketball/rumor-nba-rumors-brooklyn-nets-rejected-offers-involving-2-1st-round-picks-dorian-finney-smith
3. I’d rather keep Adams than receive 2nds.

JRich is weird. Thybulle would bring nothing what Smart cannot bring.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,414

Post#25 » by SD2042 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:19 am

I like the move for Smart to the Grizzlies. This move gives the Grizzlies a tough vet with attitude who can help sharpen the young Grizzlies locker room and be a mentor for Ja when he returns to the team. Smart is TA 2.0 with the tenacious defense and attitude to make the Grizzlies backcourt be taken seriously on defense. That said, Smart has his warts as he can shoot a team in and out of games as he's a known inconsistent shooter. Take it for what it's worth.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 9,061

Post#26 » by sam_I_am » Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:05 pm

Smart-Bane backcourt is going to be very good. Smart’s peripheral defense with JJJ in the middle is going to be a problem for most teams. Smart will also cover up for Kennard. Home run trade for Memphis.
esvl
Sixth Man

Post#27 » by esvl » Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:14 pm

I got a nightmare yesterday: what if Smart-Bane turns out to be truly elite? It is possible give that Tyus -Bane-Brooks looked really good last couple of years. What FO will need to do then?
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,325

Post#28 » by Hal14 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:22 pm

SD2042 wrote:I like the move for Smart to the Grizzlies. This move gives the Grizzlies a tough vet with attitude who can help sharpen the young Grizzlies locker room and be a mentor for Ja when he returns to the team. Smart is TA 2.0 with the tenacious defense and attitude to make the Grizzlies backcourt be taken seriously on defense. That said, Smart has his warts as he can shoot a team in and out of games as he's a known inconsistent shooter. Take it for what it's worth.

Pretty much all of that is true about Brooks
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
esvl
Sixth Man

Post#29 » by esvl » Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:52 pm

Hal14 wrote:
SD2042 wrote:I like the move for Smart to the Grizzlies. This move gives the Grizzlies a tough vet with attitude who can help sharpen the young Grizzlies locker room and be a mentor for Ja when he returns to the team. Smart is TA 2.0 with the tenacious defense and attitude to make the Grizzlies backcourt be taken seriously on defense. That said, Smart has his warts as he can shoot a team in and out of games as he's a known inconsistent shooter. Take it for what it's worth.

Pretty much all of that is true about Brooks

That’s why we replaced him with Smart.
esvl
Sixth Man

Post#30 » by esvl » Tue Oct 3, 2023 4:26 pm

Just watched his interview - he really impressed me with his personality. What a steal.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#31 » by VCfor3 » Fri Oct 6, 2023 3:52 pm

esvl wrote:Just watched his interview - he really impressed me with his personality. What a steal.

Yeah him and D Rose both had great interviews.
esvl
Sixth Man

Post#32 » by esvl » Fri Oct 6, 2023 8:42 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
esvl wrote:Just watched his interview - he really impressed me with his personality. What a steal.

Yeah him and D Rose both had great interviews.

Really? Great then. I am less concerned about Rose given his limited role on the court.
Dannyboy36
Sixth Man
And1: 850

Post#33 » by Dannyboy36 » Mon Nov 6, 2023 5:55 pm

esvl wrote:
Hitman88 wrote:Can Smart and Ja play together?
Both are very poor shooters

Very?

I haven’t been as happy as a Celts fan getting rid of smart since we got rid of Antoine Walker. Smart is a media and Boston sports fans creation. He Dog’s it almost as much as the next guy, stranding big men to try and keep up with guards as he prefers that on the switch because he’s very strong.
He’s me 1st. That incredible put back White had gs Miami? I have no doubt the designed play was if Tatum not open pass it right back to White for jumper. White was open all alone. Nope. Smart would risk the season on a heave to be the hero.
jefe
General Manager
And1: 646

Post#34 » by jefe » Tue Nov 7, 2023 1:03 pm

Dannyboy36 wrote:
esvl wrote:
Hitman88 wrote:Can Smart and Ja play together?
Both are very poor shooters

Very?

I haven’t been as happy as a Celts fan getting rid of smart since we got rid of Antoine Walker. Smart is a media and Boston sports fans creation. He Dog’s it almost as much as the next guy, stranding big men to try and keep up with guards as he prefers that on the switch because he’s very strong.
He’s me 1st. That incredible put back White had gs Miami? I have no doubt the designed play was if Tatum not open pass it right back to White for jumper. White was open all alone. Nope. Smart would risk the season on a heave to be the hero.

Compared to what we had in Dillon Brooks, I'd still prefer Smart ... but there are similarities between the two
esvl
Sixth Man

Post#35 » by esvl » Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:39 pm

This guy has quickly wasted all of my excitement about his arrival.
psman2
General Manager

Post#36 » by psman2 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:28 am

esvl wrote:This guy has quickly wasted all of my excitement about his arrival.

I think we all bought into the narrative that we would be fine without Ja since in the past we have been able to overperform while he was out. But we had more proven depth and team continuity on our side the previous years. We used to have the depth that could survive the type of injuries that we have occurred this year, but we went into the season with several holes at key positions with only unproven options to fill them. That is why I didn't like the Rose signing, I felt it was too much of risk when we needed a more reliable option there. That is also why I wanted to work the Brooks into a SNT with a proven forward like a DFS back to us. Instead we made the Smart deal and then nothing else and thought that our youth would be enough. We had to know that the Adams injury was a possibility and with Clarke out most if not all of the season I believed it was crucial to get a vet forward to steady the ship. It just not the greatest strategy to enter a season with so many unknows and the only answers are something we had not seen yet.

I still think Smart will be a good addition once he is in the right role, but this may turn out to be a lost season.
jefe
General Manager
And1: 646

Post#37 » by jefe » Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:56 pm

psman2 wrote:
esvl wrote:This guy has quickly wasted all of my excitement about his arrival.

I think we all bought into the narrative that we would be fine without Ja since in the past we have been able to overperform while he was out. But we had more proven depth and team continuity on our side the previous years. We used to have the depth that could survive the type of injuries that we have occurred this year, but we went into the season with several holes at key positions with only unproven options to fill them. That is why I didn't like the Rose signing, I felt it was too much of risk when we needed a more reliable option there. That is also why I wanted to work the Brooks into a SNT with a proven forward like a DFS back to us. Instead we made the Smart deal and then nothing else and thought that our youth would be enough. We had to know that the Adams injury was a possibility and with Clarke out most if not all of the season I believed it was crucial to get a vet forward to steady the ship. It just not the greatest strategy to enter a season with so many unknows and the only answers are something we had not seen yet.

I still think Smart will be a good addition once he is in the right role, but this may turn out to be a lost season.

Yeah, it seems clear now that Smart does not need to be the PG for anything more than a handful of possessions in any given game IMO. Once we get some modicum of health coupled with Ja's return, I think he'll be great in the fourth-option on offense and primary perimeter defender role that was previously occupied by Dillon.

The front office came into this season with no Cs or PGs on the roster other than 35 year old Derrick Rose and an unproven two-way. Had we actually landed OG at the trade deadline last year, then we obviously don't make the Smart trade and Tyus is likely still here - I like that fictional version of the 23-24 Grizz way better than the current actual version. Ideally, the front office would have also made a contingency plan move for Adams's absence during the summer as well.
esvl
Sixth Man

Post#38 » by esvl » Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:06 pm

Let’s trade this clown. And cut Rose. Veterans do not automatically means leaders.
RingoKid
Junior
And1: 62

Post#39 » by RingoKid » Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:01 pm

esvl wrote:Let’s trade this clown. And cut Rose. Veterans do not automatically means leaders.

Maybe the team will listen to Smart cos it appears they've tuned Jenkins out.

Grizz coach is the biggest clown followed by its superstar gangsta point guard on suspension.
esvl
Sixth Man

Post#40 » by esvl » Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:52 am

RingoKid wrote:
esvl wrote:Let’s trade this clown. And cut Rose. Veterans do not automatically means leaders.

Maybe the team will listen to Smart cos it appears they've tuned Jenkins out.

Grizz coach is the biggest clown followed by its superstar gangsta point guard on suspension.

No personal attacks -VC

Return to Memphis Grizzlies