ImageImage

Grizzlies Offseason 2023

Moderators: VCfor3, SD2042

psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,965

Re: Grizzlies Offseason 2023 

Post#61 » by psman2 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:18 am

OK guys we got one roster spot right now and the full MLE is the likeliest path to filling it. Who is you favorite target? Has the acquisition of Smart changed who you want to target?

My Targets:
1. Bruce Brown- undersized but good length and shooting coming around. D is above average but not Brooks level. Can even cover some PG while Ja is out. Not the big 3 we really need but outside of a big trade that guy is not going to be available.
2. Harrison Barnes- more of a 4 than a 3 now but would be a steady performer that would play within his role. Likely our closing 4 with Smart playing the 3 to end games. If Sac doesn't resign him then the the full MLE could nap him.
3. LeVert - With the Smart addition could we look at more offense signing now? Would be our 6th man that we are missing. Don't love him but given the right role I think he can be a plus contributor.
4. Donte' DiVincenzo- not a great year but still think he can be a plus defender and bring enough O to be a good rotation player. Not big enough a lot of SF minutes but could really give minutes at 1-3.
5. Grant Williams. Again likely more of a 4 than a 3 and got benched down the stretch is worrisome. But a guy that can shoot 40% from 3 and play passable D are hard to come by. Not my favorite target but does fill a hole.
6. Oubre - Again a low IQ player but would really help our offense. We could finally compete the Brooks for Oubre swap.
7. Thybulle - I was higher on him before we got Smart and his D is disruptive and his shooting showed signs of coming around to end the season. I doubt we go this direction since we likely need a little more on O than he offers, but having him with Smart covering all the SF mins would be something to behold on D and with enough offensive growth from our big 3 I still think it could work. 3/24 would be my offer.
8. Jalen McDaniels - Maybe he can have the same type of breakout that his brother had this playoff. Shot well this year when healthy and could still have some untapped potential.
9. Jrich - Another jack of all trades guys, not great at anything but no real holes in his game. I would only offer something like a 2/15 for him.
10. Prince- really don't want him but he can shoot and chew gum which is what we are looking at once we get this far down the list. Only offer a one year deal in hopes of one of our young guys runs with the role.

I would still like to see if we can swing a SNT of Brooks for DFS in addition to a MLE signing. We would have to include a young player to open the roster spot. Just not sure who that would be. It would be great if Brooklyn wanted one of Zaire or LaRavia as the main value coming back but they likely will want Santi instead and then I am just not sure how much I love the deal depending on what else we have to include. Would you guys do Santi or Roddy/2nd for DFS?

Edit: Eric Gordon is stout enough to play some SF mins and could be the 6th man we have been missing. Would still need a 3/4 too but not a bad option.
esvl
Sixth Man
And1: 391

Post#62 » by esvl » Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:20 am

Bruce Brown and DFS are my only choices. Oh - there is another one - Dillon Brooks. I’d love to resign him.
psman2
General Manager

Post#63 » by psman2 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:00 am

esvl wrote:Bruce Brown and DFS are my only choices. Oh - there is another one - Dillon Brooks. I’d love to resign him.

I think BB is going to have a bunch of teams offering the full MLE including the Lakers. We give him a good chance at a ring and a starting spot but still hard to turn down the yellow and gold. Plus a few cap space teams might offer something like a 3/45+. I think we are going to have a lot of contingency plans behind our BB offer.

Would you rather give up Santi or Roddy in a DFS trade?
esvl
Sixth Man

Post#64 » by esvl » Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:52 pm

psman2 wrote:
esvl wrote:Bruce Brown and DFS are my only choices. Oh - there is another one - Dillon Brooks. I’d love to resign him.

I think BB is going to have a bunch of teams offering the full MLE including the Lakers. We give him a good chance at a ring and a starting spot but still hard to turn down the yellow and gold. Plus a few cap space teams might offer something like a 3/45+. I think we are going to have a lot of contingency plans behind our BB offer.

Would you rather give up Santi or Roddy in a DFS trade?

BB is unlikely - I agree.

Re DFS, Aldama has a higher ceiling due to his size alone. Roddy is already good, but his ceiling and his role are limited by his weight and height. I would give up him and 1st 2025 (top-10 protected). You?
esvl
Sixth Man

Post#65 » by esvl » Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:17 pm

Miles Bridges?
psman2
General Manager

Post#66 » by psman2 » Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:27 am

esvl wrote:Miles Bridges?

Everyone hates us right now anyways, why not.
esvl
Sixth Man

Post#67 » by esvl » Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:13 am

psman2 wrote:
esvl wrote:Miles Bridges?

Everyone hates us right now anyways, why not.

Great time to be a Grizz fan for sure
psman2
General Manager

Post#68 » by psman2 » Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:30 pm

Do guys love/hate a DLO for the MLE deal if the Lakers decide to move on. Likely on a 1+1PO deal would be ok. Russell would really have to swallow some pride to take a backup role and a much smaller contract than he hoped for.
esvl
Sixth Man

Post#69 » by esvl » Sat Jul 1, 2023 2:54 am

psman2 wrote:Do guys love/hate a DLO for the MLE deal if the Lakers decide to move on. Likely on a 1+1PO deal would be ok. Russell would really have to swallow some pride to take a backup role and a much smaller contract than he hoped for.

Hate him
psman2
General Manager

Post#70 » by psman2 » Sat Jul 1, 2023 2:56 am

esvl wrote:
psman2 wrote:Do guys love/hate a DLO for the MLE deal if the Lakers decide to move on. Likely on a 1+1PO deal would be ok. Russell would really have to swallow some pride to take a backup role and a much smaller contract than he hoped for.

Hate him

hate rose more.
esvl
Sixth Man

Post#71 » by esvl » Sat Jul 1, 2023 3:00 am

psman2 wrote:
esvl wrote:

Hate him

hate rose more.

Why?
psman2
General Manager

Post#72 » by psman2 » Sat Jul 1, 2023 3:09 am

esvl wrote:
psman2 wrote:
esvl wrote:
Hate him

hate rose more.

Why?

Turning 35 before the season starts and played bad last year and a long injury history. Plus I don't understand why he is considered some locker room positive.
esvl
Sixth Man

Post#73 » by esvl » Sat Jul 1, 2023 3:27 am

psman2 wrote:
esvl wrote:
psman2 wrote:
hate rose more.

Why?

Turning 35 before the season starts and played bad last year and a long injury history. Plus I don't understand why he is considered some locker room positive.

I see. He likely is a substitute teacher for the period of Ja’s suspension. He serves the purpose. I doubt we can find a better candidate for that role.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,414

Post#74 » by SD2042 » Sat Jul 1, 2023 3:31 am

In-spite of the DR signing tonight, I think DLo's true profile is that of a 6th Man role. That's the role he needs to play in for his next team. He would be more emphatic in the 6th Man role vs a starter's role. Unless he finds himself in Toronto since FVV is now a Rocket. Then he will be a starter again.
psman2
General Manager

Post#75 » by psman2 » Sat Jul 1, 2023 3:36 am

SD2042 wrote:

In-spite of the DR signing tonight, I think DLo's true profile is that of a 6th Man role. That's the role he needs to play in for his next team. He would be more emphatic in the 6th Man role vs a starter's role. Unless he finds himself in Toronto since FVV is now a Rocket. Then he will be a starter again.

I agree, I just don't know if ready to accept that role. I think he can be a really good 6th man when he is ready for that transition.
esvl
Sixth Man

Post#76 » by esvl » Tue Jul 4, 2023 3:46 am

Based on the first game in the summer league: LaRavia is a bust. Unfortunately.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#77 » by VCfor3 » Tue Jul 4, 2023 5:08 pm

esvl wrote:Based on the first game in the summer league: LaRavia is a bust. Unfortunately.

We said the same about Aldama after the first summer league game last year ha.
esvl
Sixth Man

Post#78 » by esvl » Tue Jul 4, 2023 7:40 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
esvl wrote:Based on the first game in the summer league: LaRavia is a bust. Unfortunately.

I didn’t. On the contrary, I was the one who predicted him in a staring 5 next year. Aldama looked raw and immature, but the BB talent and potential seemed there, while LaRavia looks like lacking any NBA-level skill. Nothing to develop there, so I don’t see why we should invest in him any longer. He should join his mate Ken Chandler - I believe they are both good gamers.
esvl
Sixth Man

Post#79 » by esvl » Thu Jul 6, 2023 1:03 am

VCfor3 wrote:

The second game was sharply better. I dunno why but it was the first time I saw him actually aggressive. Maybe this kid needs a special direction from coaches? Or maybe he thrives only as an all-around player and struggles in a limited role of a pure spot up shooter?
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,414

Post#80 » by SD2042 » Thu Jul 6, 2023 2:23 am

esvl wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

The second game was sharply better. I dunno why but it was the first time I saw him actually aggressive. Maybe this kid needs a special direction from coaches? Or maybe he thrives only as an all-around player and struggles in a limited role of a pure spot up shooter?

It could be that he's struggling to find his niche within the rotation. His time in the main rotation last season was limited. As such, I wasn't expecting much from him but to find his way within the rotation and see where he can contribute for the team. Laravia can still be a solid rotational player if the alloted time for him can be set for him.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies