ImageImage

Gasol traded to Lakers

Moderators: VCfor3, SD2042

crackjack
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#141 » by crackjack » Sat Feb 2, 2008 7:26 am

Exactly. Gay has been showing quite a bit of promise. He's still on the upswing.

Grizzlies have a chance at finding another good player in the draft next year to complement him.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,647

Post#142 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Sat Feb 2, 2008 7:44 am

Hey guys, Pacer fan here.

I understand why ya'll are pissed. If we traded JO for a package like this I'd be pissed too. But when you think of it, I really think this was a good trade for the Grizzles. They basically got 3 first round picks and cap room. The Grizzles were not getting anywhere with Gasol. This changes things up, it puts the team on Gay's back. I think this could play out like Philly's trade last year. They traded Iverson, Iggy took over and they became a better team. Plus ya'll got a lot of cap room, a young prospect and 2 firsts to build around. Even if those 1sts are late, it would still be 2 1sts per draft, which is always valuable in trading up, or just get 2 nice players.

Anyway, good luck with ya'lls team.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,521

Post#143 » by RIPskaterdude » Sat Feb 2, 2008 7:47 am

crackjack wrote:Exactly. Gay has been showing quite a bit of promise. He's still on the upswing.

Grizzlies have a chance at finding another good player in the draft next year to complement him.

Yeah but...so does every other NBA team that has a 1st round pick. The point is, the Grizzles should have never made this trade just to "HOPE that they get an impact player in the draft". They could have easily traded Gasol for prospects that are already "good". JC is okay but...he doesn't even fill a need.

I agree Gay is a very good young player, but as a Kings fan, I KNOW how it is to hope and pray...every year...that a good draft pick will turn the team around. Just look at our team from 1980 to 1998. We got complete trash, and in the end, it was a TRADE that pushed us over the hump and into the playoffs.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,405

Post#144 » by Luv those Knicks » Sat Feb 2, 2008 10:27 am

Interesting read on this trade - so many people are pissed.

I don't like Kobe, but I like Phil and I like Gasol and to me this trade makes the lakers interesting. I hate the Spurs more htan the lakers, and I don't like the suns, so giving the Lakers more firepower doesn't bother me so much. It'll be fun to watch from a distance.

and it doesn't seem like the best of trades, but ultimatly, having 3 young PGs isn't a bad thing - you just keep the best 2 and trade the 3rd. and they have time to look at those guys before they make that decision.

Marc Gasol might turn into a decent player too.

The extra picks can be used for role players or in trades. It's not an end of the world situation. The team does some reboulding, saves some money and gets perhaps a top 4 pick in 2008, another 2009 and maybe a lotto in 2010 too while they continue to rebuild.

There are some knick fans who wish our team would dump salary and collect picks, even if the trades are unfavorable. In the long run, this might not be a bad trade, even though everyone is saying it is now.
You’ve gotta have Hart
Miles and miles and miles of Hart
CITYOFANGELSX3
RealGM
And1: 151

Post#145 » by CITYOFANGELSX3 » Sat Feb 2, 2008 10:59 am

Also Critt is 6'5" so could easily play the SG if need be.
Social Lubrication
Head Coach
And1: 96

Post#146 » by Social Lubrication » Sat Feb 2, 2008 1:05 pm

cinnamon wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Exactly.
I don't know why all these people seem to think that Pau was capable of being a franchise player, and/or was happy enough in Memphis to be a functional leader.
The fact is, the Lakers are about the present.
The Grizzlies are about the future. Rudy Gay is looking superb. There's an embarrassment of riches as regards gifted young point guards.
There's enough to be a foundation for the future.
It's not as if management isn't going to continue to build on that foundation. And that couldn't be done effectively as long as Pau was here. With cap space and picks and future trades, let's see what can be done. I have high hopes.
So hey, Roletagg, maybe in a few years we'll be looking at a Grizzlies/Sixers finals.
Stranger things have happened.

I'm inclined to agree with the premise that capspace + tanking holds the most potential for a rebuilding team, but surely Memphis could have unloaded more contracts or acquired better assets by unloading Pau.
mapko81
Sixth Man
And1: 18

Post#147 » by mapko81 » Sat Feb 2, 2008 3:49 pm

^ Can you think of what exactly though?

By the looks of it, most teams were just offering up garbage.
Gold Chain
RealGM
And1: 161

Post#148 » by Gold Chain » Sat Feb 2, 2008 4:56 pm

horrible trade!!!

how do you trade the best player on your team and the lakers give you NOTHING back?

wow......did Rob Babcock do this one as a favour?

ouch.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#149 » by Sleepy51 » Sat Feb 2, 2008 5:47 pm

I uderstand the Grizz approach to this, but given the Lakers situation it's just too much of a gift. I get that the Grizz don't want to take on any large deal players, but they should have made the Lakers convert one of those large deal (Odom) into additional assets that you could have used. Odom should have gone to a third team bringing back more young talent, or another expiring that would have been passed on to you. The Laker picks are going to be mildy worthless as a Kobe/Gasol/Odom/Bynum roster opredictablly gallops into the conference finals. Even if there was little in the way of competition from other teams, the Lakers needed this player badly (this will keep Kobe in LA for the foreseeable future.) There has been a gun to Kupchek's head for the last 18 months, and you didn't put the screws to them at all.

You left them far too strong, and in the end, the picks are going to be little more than 2nd rounders.

Crittendon,
Brown & Mckie (expiring)
and two non-consecutive picks between 25 and 30?

That ain't much considering the desperation LA faced if the fell out of the standings while Bynum was injured.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
rsavaj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,767

Post#150 » by rsavaj » Sat Feb 2, 2008 9:33 pm

Why, Memphis, why?!?!?!
stuffedmonkey
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#151 » by stuffedmonkey » Sat Feb 2, 2008 10:20 pm

As a laker hater - I have to ask why you guys had to do this to me?
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#152 » by Mylie10 » Sat Feb 2, 2008 11:36 pm

Unbelieveably bad trade. One of the most blantant tanks of all time.

Chicago would have shipped you assets in actual known talent to get Gasol.

And to the Lakers of all teams. Shouldn't the entire league not want to see the Lakers back near the top.

I know the league itself likes the big boys on top. They make gazillions.

Thanks alot Memphis.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Jordan45822
RealGM
And1: 1,796

Post#153 » by Jordan45822 » Sat Feb 2, 2008 11:46 pm

Mylie10 wrote:Unbelieveably bad trade. One of the most blantant tanks of all time.

Chicago would have shipped you assets in actual known talent to get Gasol.

And to the Lakers of all teams. Shouldn't the entire league not want to see the Lakers back near the top.

I know the league itself likes the big boys on top. They make gazillions.

Thanks alot Memphis.

Not really, Bulls don't have the expiring like Kwame's and the Bulls did not want to take Cardinal or go over the luxury tax treshold.

Personally, I am cool unlike other Bull fans, I didn't expect Gasol to be a Bull. But I never thought it would be a trade like this
generic_two
Sophomore

Post#154 » by generic_two » Sat Feb 2, 2008 11:47 pm

DGrangeRx33 wrote:They basically got 3 first round picks and cap room.

I hate to be a spoil-sport here, but considering the Lakers will most likely finish in the top five for the two years they gave away (08 & 10), those will be very, very late round picks. And, well, considering how low the Grizzlies will likely finish in 2010 (the same year as the second round pick the Grizz gave to the Lakers), those picks will virtually be a wash (maybe 10 picks difference?). So, it's really only 1 first round pick (which might as well be a 2nd round, seeing as how it'll be in the 25-30 range), and Javaris Crittenton, who may or may not turn out to be a decent player who probably won't be on the Grizzlies (seeing as how they already have two up and coming PGs and Java doesn't have much of an outside shot yet), and some cap room (I think the exact amount is about a million under the maximum for a free agent [whoops{there's a very small chance I'm wrong about that}]), it's not exactly the most ideal situation.

Wow, I just added insult to injury by being realistic, didn't I?
Andris
Rookie

Post#155 » by Andris » Sun Feb 3, 2008 2:52 am

please wake me up, I can't believe this trade...
Was Jerry West involved in this deal?
Why did you trade with the Lakers for crying out loud?!
Anybody but the Lakers!
Kwame Brown?
Is Stern trying to recreate the 80's? Celtics - Lakers rivalry?
What a shame!
GSW fan since the Joe Barry Carroll years...
Flexx10dzl
Sophomore

Post#156 » by Flexx10dzl » Sun Feb 3, 2008 4:03 am

Jerry west did that as a favor to mitch just like mchale did a favor for ainge..believe it!

But There will a bright day for the griz ..4 first round picks
Flexx10dzl
Sophomore

Post#157 » by Flexx10dzl » Sun Feb 3, 2008 4:17 am

generic_two wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I hate to be a spoil-sport here, but considering the Lakers will most likely finish in the top five for the two years they gave away (08 & 10), those will be very, very late round picks. And, well, considering how low the Grizzlies will likely finish in 2010 (the same year as the second round pick the Grizz gave to the Lakers), those picks will virtually be a wash (maybe 10 picks difference?). So, it's really only 1 first round pick (which might as well be a 2nd round, seeing as how it'll be in the 25-30 range), and Javaris Crittenton, who may or may not turn out to be a decent player who probably won't be on the Grizzlies (seeing as how they already have two up and coming PGs and Java doesn't have much of an outside shot yet), and some cap room (I think the exact amount is about a million under the maximum for a free agent [whoops{there's a very small chance I'm wrong about that}]), it's not exactly the most ideal situation.

Wow, I just added insult to injury by being realistic, didn't I?

I am A laker fan ..so I'm not gonna come and justify this trade ,,but Iam saying jerry west did this favor for his boy mitch.

The thing is The griz'z picks will be high up there and they will have the lakers picks.. We got FArmar and Turiaf and critt and walton and Kobe in the late teens to low 20's ( semi..lol)

Boozer, red, arenas prince ect ...so there are gems just have to do the homework.

There is no reason to believe the the future of this team can't be turned around like portland or clevland or denver..

You may just get OJ MAYO...
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,295

Post#158 » by andyhop » Sun Feb 3, 2008 5:02 am

Flexx10dzl wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I am A laker fan ..so I'm not gonna come and justify this trade ,,but Iam saying jerry west did this favor for his boy mitch.

The thing is The griz'z picks will be high up there and they will have the lakers picks.. We got FArmar and Turiaf and critt and walton and Kobe in the late teens to low 20's ( semi..lol)

Boozer, red, arenas prince ect ...so there are gems just have to do the homework.

There is no reason to believe the the future of this team can't be turned around like portland or clevland or denver..

You may just get OJ MAYO...

No need to rub salt in their wounds
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
ShowtimeFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 63

Post#159 » by ShowtimeFan » Sun Feb 3, 2008 7:35 am

Thank you and good luck in the future...

The Griz got 4 first round picks for Gasol
(Kwame+Crit+2008+2010)
Someone Else
Bench Warmer

Post#160 » by Someone Else » Sun Feb 3, 2008 10:05 am

I cant belive that Grizzlies do this trade, insanely :banghead:

Return to Memphis Grizzlies