ImageImage

Toronto Raptors (1-0) vs Memphis Grizzlies (0-1)

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

vanjulio
Sixth Man
And1: 60

Toronto Raptors (1-0) vs Memphis Grizzlies (0-1) 

Post#1 » by vanjulio » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:47 pm

Image @ Image

Who: Toronto Raprtors(1-0) @ Memphis Grizzlies(0-1)
When: Friday, October 30th
Where: FedEx Forum in Memphis, TN
Time: 7:00 PM CST
TV/Radio: FS Tennessee/ TSN2 / WRBO 103.5 FM
Previous Season Series: 1-1
Team Game Notes
Team Trivia: DeMar DeRozan almost went back on his accepted scholarship to University of Southern California when the school was being investigated for infractions related to the benefits received by former USC player, current Memphis guard, O.J. Mayo. The only previous NBA star from the school was Harold Minor.

Grizzlies Starters

ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors Starters

ImageImageImageImageImage
==========================
Memphis Grizzlies Never Die
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Re: Toronto Raptors (1-0) vs Memphis Grizzlies (0-1) 

Post#2 » by Downtown » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:31 pm

I watched the Raptors game last night against the Cavs. Their big three of Bosh, Turkgalu, and Bargnani are difficult to contain because all three are close to seven feet(Barganani is seven feet) and can play inside or out with better than average athleticism for their size. The rest of Toronto's role players are fairly responsible types, with Calderon and Jarrett Jack controlling things well from the backcourt. Quick hitters like Derozen and Bellinelli play their roles and defensive types Nesterovic and Antoine Wright have also seemingly accepted their roles. Once Reggie Evans comes back I think they will have a good balance.

Coach Jay Triano has a ways to go to get all their new faces to gel but I can see a difference early on from last year in that they defend better and collapse the middle and don't give anything easy inside. They actually accomplished a few times stopping Lebron from penetrating as they collapsed and he was forced to kick the ball back out. If Memphis is going to win this won they better make their chances count and percentages on both field goals and free throws could be the difference.

For the first time in a long while I could actually see a team identity develop in the Raptors with defense a priority and feeding the offence off of that, along with unselfish team play, although their big three do like to hoist up the majority of shots. But at their height it's easy for them to step outside and not be too concerned about having their shots blocked.
WesWesley
General Manager
And1: 5

Post#3 » by WesWesley » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:25 pm

What's Iverson's status?

I want to see him play.
5:26 LAC - B. Davis misses a layup
bakafool
RealGM
And1: 4,651

Post#4 » by bakafool » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:27 pm

Downtown, that is an excellent analysis of the Raptors. The weakest link defensively is Calderon. If Memphis can take advantage of him (though AI's out) through drives and kickouts, that would be the best way to beat the Raptors. Memphis' best bet against the Bargnani-Bosh duo is to guard them with single coverage, daring both of them to make back to the basket moves, as that is the weakest part of their game.
Noooo!!! Not Possible! Not Possible! - Comcast commentator after the shot by Mo Peterson.
boshjonesford
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#5 » by boshjonesford » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:39 pm

damp i cant believe the raptors are starting the season 2-0 .... nice
DonkeyPunch
Junior
And1: 56

Post#6 » by DonkeyPunch » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:13 pm

boshjonesford wrote:damp i cant believe the raptors are starting the season 2-0 .... nice

We Raps fans are working on getting this clown banned, he does this to every board's game thread when they are playing the raps.

Question: Is Marc Gasol going to break out this year?

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women." Conan
j127
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41

Post#7 » by j127 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:15 pm

boshjonesford wrote:damp i cant believe the raptors are starting the season 2-0 .... nice

*sigh*

What's the point in trolling? Leave it in the Toronto board.
vanjulio
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by vanjulio » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:29 pm

Marc Gasol already had a break out year.
if you're waiting to see if he outplays Pau this year then you might be disappointed. But so far after one game he is the MVP. Read this article if you are interested in the improvements Marc made in the offseason: http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/20 ... condition/

They need to get Jarrett Jack comfortable and starting for Toronto and we can return to the 2004 glory days of Georgia Tech basketball. I am very interested to watch them this year. if I was David Stern I'd pay those refs to get Raptors and Grizzlies in the finals.
Gold Chain
RealGM
And1: 161

Post#9 » by Gold Chain » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:17 pm

Oh god, please don't say that.

Just enjoy the process.
canucks22
Junior
And1: 0

Post#10 » by canucks22 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:59 am

shut up...you're the reason raptor fans look bad
i wanna see iverson play too, i gotta feeling randolph is gonna kill us like usual.
"Wazz up!"
koolguy
Sixth Man
And1: 151

Post#11 » by koolguy » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:06 am

bosh can score in the paint, and don't forget that he's quicker than anyone his size and would usually play them up front.

the best way to go against the raptors is to exploit their perimeter D. like someone said, the raps like to converge in the paint so a drive n kick to the perimeter will do wonders.
bobobolas1
Bench Warmer

Post#12 » by bobobolas1 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:37 pm

no info on iverson status? id love to see him playing... I think all the D focuses on OJ; Gay, Zach, and they are forgotten Gasol2.0

Go grizzs, let make the first win soon. i wouldnt like to see one of those 0-7 or something like we used to have last yeasr...
jefe
General Manager
And1: 636

Post#13 » by jefe » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:42 pm

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/oct/30/iverson-says-hes-ready-to-play-for-grizzlies/

Iverson says he's ready to play; Hollins says Monday in Sacramento will be his debut.

The sooner he returns, the better - our bench was anemic in the opener. I'm sure Conley can change that when Iverson returns. :)
RolloTommasi
Bench Warmer
And1: 194

Post#14 » by RolloTommasi » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:25 pm

jefe wrote:http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/oct/30/iverson-says-hes-ready-to-play-for-grizzlies/

Iverson says he's ready to play; Hollins says Monday in Sacramento will be his debut.

The sooner he returns, the better - our bench was anemic in the opener. I'm sure Conley can change that when Iverson returns. :)

are you suggesting that Iverson should be in the starting 5 as PG ???

lol
bobobolas1
Bench Warmer

Post#15 » by bobobolas1 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:32 pm

hehe, yep, he said so, i think it is too soon to give iverson the starting spor, tho i think he will get it over conley.
vanjulio
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by vanjulio » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:46 pm

Iverson could start at least for one game to announce to the fans that they are serious about competing. No one on that team deserves the starting position after Wednesday's blow out. :evil:

ok give them another couple games.... and don't let AI just come out and kill himself in first game and be done for the season. then many unhappy grizz fans..
CrookedJ
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,764

Post#17 » by CrookedJ » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:12 pm

Do you think the debacle in Detroit last year will lead him to start? I had assumed that Memphis had signed him to start based on that. Not that I would necessarily start him if it was my choice.
vanjulio
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by vanjulio » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:06 pm

you might look for the ESPN Scoop Jackson interview Iverson gave last month for insight on his motivations this year. and Grizzlies coach Lionell Hollins has merely stated that each position is up for grabs and determined in training camp. AI was usually on the B squad in train camp but missed all the preseason games, so we don't know if he had graduated to the A squad or not. probably not.
Str33t_Fight3r
Bench Warmer

Post#19 » by Str33t_Fight3r » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:33 pm

Was anyone here a fan of the Grizzlies when they were in Vancouver and still continued to follow after they moved? I'm just curious.

Raps are gonna win by a decent margin. Hopefully that dead Memphis crowd doesn't put the Raps to sleep
Raps fan till I die

"You know it's funny when it rains it pours
They got money for wars, but can't feed the poor" - Tupac Shakur

There's no "D" in Toronto Raptors...but there's a crap load of "O's"
canucks22
Junior

Post#20 » by canucks22 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:51 am

Str33t_Fight3r wrote:Was anyone here a fan of the Grizzlies when they were in Vancouver and still continued to follow after they moved? I'm just curious.

Raps are gonna win by a decent margin. Hopefully that dead Memphis crowd doesn't put the Raps to sleep

i was, i live in vancouver. but now im a raptors fan because theyre the only canadian team left.
"Wazz up!"

Return to Memphis Grizzlies