ImageImage

Toronto Raptors (1-0) vs Memphis Grizzlies (0-1)

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Re: Toronto Raptors (1-0) vs Memphis Grizzlies (0-1) 

Post#21 » by Downtown » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:53 am

I was an original Grizzlies fan, who attended their first home game, and still have a closet full of Grizzlies memorabillia(which I'd love to sell). Once they left I dropped them like a hot potato and reconnected with the Seattle Sonics. I still will never forgive Michael Heisley or David Stern. The only reason I follow them now is that Seattle is gone.

As for tonights game, it's about time the Grizzlies dug down deep in a fourth quarter and pulled one out. Even though they made plenty of mistakes, in looking at the box score their entire starting five, plus sixth man Carroll all contributed at times, not only with balanced scoring but rebounds as well.

I remember when Raptors coach Jay Triano had his press conference announcing his fulltime coaching job, the first thing he said was he wanted more toughness. Well tonight the Raptors were outfought physically, save for Bosh in the first half. Gasol, Randolph, and Carroll wore down the Raptors big three I thought.

One area where I thought the Raptors coach made a mistake was in sticking with Calderon in too long of stretches. Against Cleveland Jarrett Jack came up big in turning around momentum and he should have had more time in this game to try and change things.

I can't say it was a perfect game but it was a good gutcheck win. Randolph got schooled by Bosh in the first half but I was impressed by the way he sucked it up and stayed with it and played a strong second half. I also liked the way he kept encouraging his teamates and brought good energy, although his man on man defense isn't a pretty thing to watch.
Vinsane15
Veteran
And1: 21

Post#22 » by Vinsane15 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:57 am

congrats Grizz fans...I hope yall make the playoffs!
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#23 » by Downtown » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:22 am

With LA, San Antonio, Dallas, Utah, Denver, Portland, along with Phoenix, New Orleans and Houston, I think it will take some very unfortunate injuries to kick any of those nine teams from being the favorites for making one of the eight playoff spots( and I don't wish injuries on any players).

But thanks for the post.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#24 » by SD2042 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:38 am

http://www.grizzliesonline.com/index.ph ... r_raptors/

At least the game was competitive than the last one. The Grizz did regroup from the damage that Chris Bosh laid into them from the first half and came back with a plan to become more aggressive by attacking the post, rebounding, getting to the line, and making hustle plays. If they can start playing more games like this, it can help go a long way towards making them a better team for the future.

Good win Grizz.
jefe
General Manager
And1: 643

Post#25 » by jefe » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:53 pm

In case you didn't see it, the highlight of the game IMO - Rudy's reverse tip dunk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEbH5Doqk8k

Edit:

Forgot to mention Hasheem Thabeet DNP - Coach's Decision
Thoughts? Maybe it's premature to discuss it, but Is the D-League a real possibility for the #2 overall pick?

http://www.nba.com/games/20091030/TORMEM/boxscore.html
jefe
General Manager
And1: 643

Post#26 » by jefe » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:23 pm

RolloTommasi wrote:
jefe wrote:http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/oct/30/iverson-says-hes-ready-to-play-for-grizzlies/

Iverson says he's ready to play; Hollins says Monday in Sacramento will be his debut.

The sooner he returns, the better - our bench was anemic in the opener. I'm sure Conley can change that when Iverson returns. :)

are you suggesting that Iverson should be in the starting 5 as PG ???

lol

Label them however you like, but Mayo and Iverson should be the starting backcourt for the Grizz IMO.
vanjulio
Sixth Man
And1: 60

Post#27 » by vanjulio » Mon Nov 2, 2009 2:06 pm

jefe wrote:In case you didn't see it, the highlight of the game IMO - Rudy's reverse tip dunk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEbH5Doqk8k

That dunk was amazing. The Raptors commentators were knocked out. My second favorite play was DeMarre Carroll stealing rebound from Rasho and then running the court to finish with contact and convert the AND1. He showed he belongs there.
==========================
Memphis Grizzlies Never Die

Return to Memphis Grizzlies