FUTURE DRAFT GAMES - NEW THREAD 2/21/22

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,309

Re: FUTURE DRAFT GAMES - NEW THREAD 2/21/22 

Post#41 » by Colbinii » Thu Mar 3, 2022 9:01 pm

durantbird wrote:Was there a "no all defense" draft? This is my first FGA draft and I see that a really common approach here to deal with this limitation is to pick all defense guys. Might be interesting to see how it rolls with that being not an option. It also affects the main guys of course.

Most players who are valuable and didn't make an all-star team were all-defensive level players.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
durantbird
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,178

Post#42 » by durantbird » Thu Mar 3, 2022 9:12 pm

Colbinii wrote:
durantbird wrote:Was there a "no all defense" draft? This is my first FGA draft and I see that a really common approach here to deal with this limitation is to pick all defense guys. Might be interesting to see how it rolls with that being not an option. It also affects the main guys of course.

Most players who are valuable and didn't make an all-star team were all-defensive level players.

Yes, hence the suggestion
damecurry
General Manager
And1: 1,517

Post#43 » by damecurry » Thu Mar 3, 2022 9:44 pm

Fadeaway_J wrote:Planning to do the three or more franchises draft next

Are you doing 90s to now? Is there anyway I can talk you into ANYTHING else?
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,831

Post#44 » by Fadeaway_J » Thu Mar 3, 2022 10:06 pm

damecurry wrote:

I think post-merger can work with enough people.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#45 » by Colbinii » Thu Mar 3, 2022 10:13 pm

Fadeaway_J wrote:
damecurry wrote:

I think Post-Merger works with 12, with 10 we may need a small restriction

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
damecurry
General Manager

Post#46 » by damecurry » Fri Mar 4, 2022 9:24 pm

Fadeaway_J wrote:
damecurry wrote:

You planning to open sign ups soon? I get itchy when no draft is running haha :lol:
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#47 » by Fadeaway_J » Fri Mar 4, 2022 11:44 pm

damecurry wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:
damecurry wrote:Are you doing 90s to now? Is there anyway I can talk you into ANYTHING else?

You planning to open sign ups soon? I get itchy when no draft is running haha :lol:

I can do it tonight, but wouldn't want to start until the SF draft is wrapping up or close to it.
MadNESS
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,693

Post#48 » by MadNESS » Sat Mar 5, 2022 4:31 am

How about this idea?

1 MVP
7 guys with 1 all star game or less
LAKESHOW
damecurry
General Manager

Post#49 » by damecurry » Sat Mar 5, 2022 12:34 pm

I've been working on the framing for an accolades draft. I think it goes something like this:
MVP = 5 pts. NBA 1st = 4 pts. NBA2nd/Defensive 1st = 3 pts. NBA 3rd/Defense 2nd = 2 pts. All-Star = 1 pt.

Only the season you use for a player is relevant, but whatever accolades they accumulated in that season accrue points. I.e. MJ's 91 season (the one usually used) he won mvp, made all nba 1st/defense 1st and the all-star team, therefore he costs 13 points. However he didn't win the MVP in 93 so while that season is never used because of higher FGA it may be more valuable in this context.

Honestly it would probably switch up seasons used more than players drafted but it would definitely affect some values and encourage the drafting of guys we don't usually take.

I was thinking a limit of 25 points seemed reasonable. It would obviously take some trial and error to iron out the details but I'd really like to mix up the standard FGA restriction, gets boring after awhile.
durantbird
Lead Assistant

Post#50 » by durantbird » Sat Mar 5, 2022 1:05 pm

MadNESS wrote:How about this idea?

1 MVP
7 guys with 1 all star game or less

I like it but should raise the FGA limit somewhat
durantbird
Lead Assistant

Post#51 » by durantbird » Sat Mar 5, 2022 1:06 pm

So no support for the idea? Wouldn't hurt to see some new players getting picked with all the all defense guys not allowed. Will also be hard to find the stars to anchor your defense. Sounds like an interesting challenge to me
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#52 » by Fadeaway_J » Sat Mar 5, 2022 1:10 pm

durantbird wrote:

So no support for the idea? Wouldn't hurt to see some new players getting picked with all the all defense guys not allowed. Will also be hard to find the stars to anchor your defense. Sounds like an interesting challenge to me

It's been done before but we do recycle old ideas from time to time.
durantbird
Lead Assistant

Post#53 » by durantbird » Sat Mar 5, 2022 1:19 pm

Fadeaway_J wrote:
durantbird wrote:

It's been done before but we do recycle old ideas from time to time.

If it's done, I'd add a limitation that an active player has to be a minimum number of years in the league (6? 10?) because it's easier to find good defenders with no all defense accolade among young players.
durantbird
Lead Assistant

Post#54 » by durantbird » Sun Mar 6, 2022 7:11 am

Another idea, I assume we didn't have such a concept yet.

The One Syllable draft. Only players with one syllable for their first or last name are valid choices.

We can use a unified source for the proper used name, like nba.com or basketball reference. Nicknames like Shaq don't count.

There are some edge cases (is Ewing one or two syllables? what about McKie?). We can define that if basketball reference states a two syllable pronunciation in their pronunciation guide (like the two examples), then player is invalid.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,581

Post#55 » by Dr Positivity » Mon Mar 7, 2022 1:51 am

A game where you have to hit every letter in the alphabet, except for Q, X and Z
durantbird
Lead Assistant

Post#56 » by durantbird » Mon Mar 7, 2022 11:37 am

Shaq teammates draft
damecurry
General Manager

Post#57 » by damecurry » Tue Mar 8, 2022 12:59 am

I know the answer's probably yes, but have we done the inverse of the current one? Only 1 or 2 Franchises Draft? A lot of the stars would be available (though not LBJ now) but it would mix up the role-player pool a lot.
wackbone
RealGM
And1: 3,403

Post#58 » by wackbone » Tue Mar 8, 2022 2:03 am

The List Draft

Normal draft order procedure. Everyone knows the order each round.

We would need a "commissioner"

At the start of the round, everyone sends the commissioner their List with who they want to take out of the available players. This pick remains a secret until the end of the round.

Ex. Let's say the pool is 2000-2021. The player with the first pick sends the commissioner a PM picking LeBron. The player with the second pick sends the commissioner a PM with 1. LeBron and 2. KD. The player with the third pick figures that LeBron has likely been taken (but again they don't actually KNOW, just making an educated guess) so they make their list 1. KG 2. Steph 3. KD. Fourth pick sends in 1. KG 2. KD 3. Steph 4. Kawhi. Etc etc. So then at the end of the round Team 1 gets LeBron, 2 gets KD, 3 gets KG, and 4 gets Steph.

Whatever your pick # is in a given round is how many guys you have to put on your list. The commissioner would reveal the picks at the end of the round. Then the process repeats for the 2nd round and so on.

We could discuss timeframe, any possible restrictions, any tweaks, and possibly randomizing the draft order each round so that 2 drafters don't have 1st pick half of the time, IDK.

Thoughts? Questions?

BAF Celtics
PG: Russell Westbrook|x
SG: Desmond Bane|Mathurin
SF: Mikal Bridges|Mathurin
PF: John Collins|x
C: Chet Holmgren|x

Other: Roddy, Saric
durantbird
Lead Assistant

Post#59 » by durantbird » Tue Mar 8, 2022 10:29 am

A draft where eligible players are ones who have a first-degree family relative playing/that have played in the NBA
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#60 » by Colbinii » Tue Mar 8, 2022 1:34 pm

wackbone wrote:The List Draft

Normal draft order procedure. Everyone knows the order each round.

We would need a "commissioner"

At the start of the round, everyone sends the commissioner their List with who they want to take out of the available players. This pick remains a secret until the end of the round.

Ex. Let's say the pool is 2000-2021. The player with the first pick sends the commissioner a PM picking LeBron. The player with the second pick sends the commissioner a PM with 1. LeBron and 2. KD. The player with the third pick figures that LeBron has likely been taken (but again they don't actually KNOW, just making an educated guess) so they make their list 1. KG 2. Steph 3. KD. Fourth pick sends in 1. KG 2. KD 3. Steph 4. Kawhi. Etc etc. So then at the end of the round Team 1 gets LeBron, 2 gets KD, 3 gets KG, and 4 gets Steph.

Whatever your pick # is in a given round is how many guys you have to put on your list. The commissioner would reveal the picks at the end of the round. Then the process repeats for the 2nd round and so on.

We could discuss timeframe, any possible restrictions, any tweaks, and possibly randomizing the draft order each round so that 2 drafters don't have 1st pick half of the time, IDK.

Thoughts? Questions?

I love this idea.

The ideal draft would be 8 players and each round you are at a different draft position

Circa 2018

Circa 2022

Return to Trades and Transactions Games