Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,215

Re: Best of Enemies Draft (60s to now) - Discussion 

Post#41 » by Laimbeer » Fri Mar 8, 2024 11:46 pm

Snakebites wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:That was my understanding based on what was discussed in the new ideas thread.

Yes, they can qualify with minutes on the Celtics or Lakers before 1959-60. So long as the season selected is 1959-60 and forward.

Okay fine I’ll just come out and ask it.

What about this season? As in guys who started playing for one of those teams this year. I know we can’t pick the current season.
I'd say no. Generally the current season does not exist in these.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,215

Post#42 » by Laimbeer » Fri Mar 8, 2024 11:46 pm

durantbird wrote:Are ABA seasons allowed?
Yes.

Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,976

Post#43 » by Larry_Russell » Sat Mar 9, 2024 12:27 am

Fadeaway_J wrote:Didn't expect the bigs to tumble this far - maybe throws off what I expected my plan to be originally.

up
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,010

Post#44 » by Snakebites » Sat Mar 9, 2024 12:40 am

Laimbeer wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:
Yes, they can qualify with minutes on the Celtics or Lakers before 1959-60. So long as the season selected is 1959-60 and forward.

Okay fine I’ll just come out and ask it.

What about this season? As in guys who started playing for one of those teams this year. I know we can’t pick the current season.
I'd say no. Generally the current season does not exist in these.

That’s fine- your game your rules.

Just figured it would be good to clarify ahead of time.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#45 » by Snakebites » Sat Mar 9, 2024 12:48 am

I 100 percent get why Kareem and Wilt fell that far from the perspective of the individual drafters who made those choices.

But Kareem and Wilt with second and third round picks that are both early isn’t going to be easy to compete with. Neither will Kobe with whatever big man falls.
uberhikari
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,838

Post#46 » by uberhikari » Sat Mar 9, 2024 1:07 am

Wilt's 12 fga wasn't worth it to give up draft flexibility. I also didn't take Kareem for similar draft flexibility concerns. KG pairs with any star that could potentially fall to me except for 1 player.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#47 » by Snakebites » Sat Mar 9, 2024 1:22 am

uberhikari wrote:Wilt's 12 fga wasn't worth it to give up draft flexibility. I also didn't take Kareem for similar draft flexibility concerns. KG pairs with any star that could potentially fall to me except for 1 player.

Yeah, like I said I get it for the individual drafters.

It’s just a dynamic that’s going to create a few very powerful teams.

I could be wrong but I wouldn’t have been worried about a center being BPA at your spot.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,830

Post#48 » by Fadeaway_J » Sat Mar 9, 2024 1:36 am

To be honest, I'm not that wild about my position. Almost all the elite perimeter players are gone, and most of the people who picked them are pretty much guaranteed to have an MVP-level big to pair them with. Then the two people after me have the chance to create a similar pairing.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,293

Post#49 » by Colbinii » Sat Mar 9, 2024 2:57 am

I don't really get how the bottom has an advantage here.

The drop off in top end perimeter talent is far greater than the drop off in big man talent.

MVP perimeter player + MVP big man is better than MVP big man + All-NBA perimeter + All-NBA big man
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Larry_Russell
General Manager

Post#50 » by Larry_Russell » Sat Mar 9, 2024 3:13 am

Foolishly hoped nash would fall.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#51 » by Snakebites » Sat Mar 9, 2024 3:45 am

Larry_Russell wrote:Foolishly hoped nash would fall.

Yeah, no way that was happening.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#52 » by Colbinii » Sat Mar 9, 2024 4:05 am

Yeah so I don't get why anyone thought this pool was better at the back end. 3 GOAT level center peaks left for me to pick at 10, which means 1 is guaranteed to fall to Dr Positivity while I am here picking some 20+ FGA Celtic wing who gets outplayed by Jimmy Butler in every playoff series.

Or else I add one of the two great PF to pair with my Center and then I watch Snakebites/Laimbeer/Flaco eat up the remaining All-NBA perimeter talent before my 1st pick in 3rd round while the BPA in round 3 is almost assuredly a Center who just doesn't fit with a PF/Center combo.

On the bright side I get to choose the brand of coffin and nails, hire the digging company for my grave and select which priest speaks at my funeral. I may even pick which flower company I want--oh wait, the funeral home company is picking those.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Larry_Russell
General Manager

Post#53 » by Larry_Russell » Sat Mar 9, 2024 4:09 am

Colbinii wrote:Yeah so I don't get why anyone thought this pool was better at the back end. 3 GOAT level center peaks left for me to pick at 10, which means 1 is guaranteed to fall to Dr Positivity while I am here picking some 20+ FGA Celtic wing who gets outplayed by Jimmy Butler in every playoff series.

Or else I add one of the two great PF to pair with my Center and then I watch Snakebites/Laimbeer/Flaco eat up the remaining All-NBA perimeter talent before my 1st pick in 3rd round while the BPA in round 3 is almost assuredly a Center who just doesn't fit with a PF/Center combo.

On the bright side I get to choose the brand of coffin and nails, hire the digging company for my grave and select which priest speaks at my funeral. I may even pick which flower company I want--oh wait, the funeral home company is picking those.

Boohoo
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,581

Re: Best of Enemies Draft (60s to now) - Sign ups 

Post#54 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Mar 9, 2024 4:19 am

LA Bird wrote:In

Up
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#55 » by Colbinii » Sat Mar 9, 2024 4:21 am

Snakebites wrote:To me you either want a late pick (7 or later by my estimate of the pool) to get a pair of elite guys, or you want Lebron.

Second looks and feels like the worst spot in this draft.

Yeah not even close to how the actual board played out, but maybe you thought it would have played out differently.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#56 » by Colbinii » Sat Mar 9, 2024 4:27 am

Larry_Russell wrote:
Colbinii wrote:Yeah so I don't get why anyone thought this pool was better at the back end. 3 GOAT level center peaks left for me to pick at 10, which means 1 is guaranteed to fall to Dr Positivity while I am here picking some 20+ FGA Celtic wing who gets outplayed by Jimmy Butler in every playoff series.

Boohoo

I'm not mad or crying. I'm just explaining what happened for the first 9 picks and what I was left with.

I love analyzing these drafts and basically do the same thing for every person's draft pick after round 1. It's fun drawing webs of all the possibilities, min/max picks and potential pathways each drafter could go.

I just wanted to explain mine, but if you disagree by all means point out what I am missing. My guess is picking Diesel makes sense as a GOAT level player, though my thought process is Diesel isn't as big of an outlier in a draft with 5 of the Top 10 center peaks and another few "big" centers like the Lopez bros, ect.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,581

Post#57 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Mar 9, 2024 7:40 am

That post was a little generous to Robin
flaco
Veteran
And1: 874

Post#58 » by flaco » Sat Mar 9, 2024 9:31 am

Absolutely love the Nash-Russell duo! I think they have god-level synergy! Russ is widely considered the best defensive Center (/player) of all time. Nash is a truly elite offensive PG (imo, top 4 all time at the very least). Both of them excel at playing at breakneck pace. They'd be running teams off the floor, especially in the modern era! Curious to see how LA Bird builds around them.

Dr P is about to create a 2-headed monster as well. I think these 2 teams will stand out after the end of round 2.
uberhikari
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,838

Post#59 » by uberhikari » Sat Mar 9, 2024 10:10 am

flaco wrote:Absolutely love the Nash-Russell duo! I think they have god-level synergy! Russ is widely considered the best defensive Center (/player) of all time. Nash is a truly elite offensive PG (imo, top 4 all time at the very least). Both of them excel at playing at breakneck pace. They'd be unstoppable in the modern era! Curious to see how LABird builds around them.

Dr P is about to create a 2-headed monster as well. I think these 2 teams will stand out after the end of round 2.

I don't see the god-level synergy between Nash and Russell. When Russell got the ball on the fastbreak it wasn't to score but to set up his teammates. Russell never attacked the paint like LeBron or Barkley on the fastbreak. I also don't really see the synergy between Nash & Russell in the halfcourt. People speculate that Russell could've been an elite P&R partner by using his athleticism to dive to the hoop but it's just speculation. It may or may not be true; we don't know. There are a lot of athletic bigs who never became elite P&R divers.

The main potential problem I see with the Nash & Russell pairing is that neither were elite volume scorers. A lot of scoring potential is being sacrificed by going for that kind of pairing in such a limited talent pool.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,830

Post#60 » by Fadeaway_J » Sat Mar 9, 2024 10:50 am

Maybe went too conservative there, but the PG pool in this one is pretty shallow and most of the best ones are expensive and not the easiest fits.

Return to Trades and Transactions Games