Multi Franchise States Draft - Discussion

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

flaco
Veteran
And1: 875

Re: Multi Franchise States Draft - Discussion 

Post#61 » by flaco » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:54 pm

Fadeaway_J wrote:
flaco wrote:Pau Gasol is so underrated in our games. I realize Center is the most important defensive position, but it's not like he was a traffic cone or something. He was a decent post up defender and a serviceable rim protector. He didn't have the lateral quicks to defend the perimeter (which is why I'd never use him at PF), but the same goes for the vast majority of bigs. In a vacuum, I consider him a better player than his brother who's a regular in our games.

Love Pau, but the fact that he's best at the 5 is what hurts him. I agree that he's the better player, but his brother is the better defender which is the premium skill for that position, and also has some prime seasons where he's a quality floor spacer which is also valuable. Pau falls within that nebulous region where he's average or below defensively for a 5 (especially compared to most of his counterparts in these games), but not quite at the level offensively where people are willing to take the risk anyway. I've had some success with him over the last couple of years, but it very much depends on the pool and the matchups.

Yeah, can't argue with any of that. It's a shame cause he's relatively cheap as well. I'd happily pay 13 FGA for an All-NBA 2nd/3rd teamer who was the 2nd best player on 2 championship teams (imo, should have won Finals MVP in 2010). If only he had developed a 3pt shot a bit earlier in his career. I bet he would have seen more burn in our games despite his average D.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,833

Post#62 » by Fadeaway_J » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:18 pm

MadNESS wrote:.

Up
MadNESS
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,693

Post#63 » by MadNESS » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:30 pm

durantbird wrote:I was really debating with myself between Duncan and another guy. Yesterday I left Fade a list with some other guy in front of him.

Up
LAKESHOW
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,037

Post#64 » by Snakebites » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:31 pm

flaco wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:
flaco wrote:Pau Gasol is so underrated in our games. I realize Center is the most important defensive position, but it's not like he was a traffic cone or something. He was a decent post up defender and a serviceable rim protector. He didn't have the lateral quicks to defend the perimeter (which is why I'd never use him at PF), but the same goes for the vast majority of bigs. In a vacuum, I consider him a better player than his brother who's a regular in our games.

Love Pau, but the fact that he's best at the 5 is what hurts him. I agree that he's the better player, but his brother is the better defender which is the premium skill for that position, and also has some prime seasons where he's a quality floor spacer which is also valuable. Pau falls within that nebulous region where he's average or below defensively for a 5 (especially compared to most of his counterparts in these games), but not quite at the level offensively where people are willing to take the risk anyway. I've had some success with him over the last couple of years, but it very much depends on the pool and the matchups.

Yeah, can't argue with any of that. It's a shame cause he's relatively cheap as well. I'd happily pay 13 FGA for an All-NBA 2nd/3rd teamer who was the 2nd best player on 2 championship teams (imo, should have won Finals MVP in 2010). If only he had developed a 3pt shot a bit earlier in his career. I bet he would have seen more burn in our games despite his average D.

Average on D in the NBA is below average in these games, at least at center where all of the pylons are eliminated from draftability entirely.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: Multi Franchise States Draft - Signups 

Post#65 » by Fadeaway_J » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:35 pm

uberhikari wrote:.

Durantbird up
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,582

Post#66 » by Dr Positivity » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:36 pm

I thought Pau was pretty good in his prime on D, though I understand that as neither someone who can guard Shaq or one of the most mobile defensive centers, he's kind of caught in the middle at C. He played in the perfect era for him overall.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#67 » by Fadeaway_J » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:46 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:I thought Pau was pretty good in his prime on D, though I understand that as neither someone who can guard Shaq or one of the most mobile defensive centers, he's kind of caught in the middle at C. He played in the perfect era for him overall.

I would describe him as "pretty good" in-era in an absolute sense, about average or slightly above for a high-level starter at his position, and below average for a starter in most draft games. With that said, maybe there should be fewer defensive concerns in many cases, since a lot of teams still aren't built to attack a slow-footed big in pick-and-roll, and I don't think spamming post-ups (even against a "weaker" defender) is particularly efficient for all but a handful of guys.
flaco
Veteran

Post#68 » by flaco » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:54 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:SF: Vince Carter (2005: 20.0 FGA)

Can't use 2005 Vince cause the Nets were playing in New Jersey at the time. Only the Brooklyn seasons are eligible. Good news is you now have more FGA to spare! :D Nets/Raps Vince is ridiculously expensive.

durantbird wrote:Brooklyn Nets (seasons from New Jersey Nets are ineligible.)
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#69 » by Snakebites » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:56 pm

flaco wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:SF: Vince Carter (2005: 20.0 FGA)

Can't use 2005 Vince cause the Nets were playing in New Jersey at the time time. Only the Brooklyn seasons are eligible. Good news is you now have more FGA to spare! :D

durantbird wrote:Brooklyn Nets (seasons from New Jersey Nets are ineligible.)

Ouch. He has some pretty solid role player seasons in Dallas but probably not what Dr P had in mind.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#70 » by Fadeaway_J » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:56 pm

Oh damn, I forgot Vince was ineligible. Even had him as one of my backup options behind Peja and Wiggins.
flaco
Veteran

Post#71 » by flaco » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:01 pm

Fadeaway_J wrote:Oh damn, I forgot Vince was ineligible. Even had him as one of my backup options behind Peja and Wiggins.

He's eligible, just not for his Nets seasons. He has played for Orlando, Dallas and Sacramento. Not prime seasons, but still serviceable. At that point in his career, he had transformed into a perimeter-oriented player rather than an uber explosive slasher with 3pt range. I believe I had used his Orlando season once bringing him off the bench as a 6th man.

If Dr P wants to repick, personally I got no problem whatsoever.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#72 » by Fadeaway_J » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:04 pm

flaco wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:Oh damn, I forgot Vince was ineligible. Even had him as one of my backup options behind Peja and Wiggins.

He's eligible, just not for his Nets seasons. He has played for Orlando, Dallas and Sacramento. Not prime seasons, but still serviceable. At that point in his career, he had transformed into a perimeter oriented player rather than an uber explosive slasher with 3pt range.

You're right, he does have some useful seasons. I don't think it's extremely damaging as I didn't love the use of 20 FGA to pair Vince with Kobe. Only problem is finding the best way to spend those extra FGAs in this pool.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,582

Post#73 » by Dr Positivity » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:05 pm

I can live with the 5 FGA Kings season, unfortunately though I lost my pick
MadNESS
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,693

Post#74 » by MadNESS » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:16 pm

The drafter who can’t stand Blake Griffin, takes Blake Griffin :lol:
LAKESHOW
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#75 » by Fadeaway_J » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:25 pm

MadNESS wrote:The drafter who can’t stand Blake Griffin, takes Blake Griffin :lol:

That was damecurry.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#76 » by Snakebites » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:28 pm

I also don’t like Blake.

I can separate my personal distaste for him from him as a player. Not sure about his fit with Zo though.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#77 » by Fadeaway_J » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:32 pm

So I added Robert Horry to my list a few minutes ago.

Then I realised roddy was picking next. :lol:
lilroddyb
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,288

Post#78 » by lilroddyb » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:35 pm

Fadeaway_J wrote:So I added Robert Horry to my list a few minutes ago.

Then I realised roddy was picking next. :lol:

Horry and Danny Green are my fave role players. Don't let them fall to me :D
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,984

Post#79 » by Larry_Russell » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:04 am

Snakebites wrote:I also don’t like Blake.

I can separate my personal distaste for him from him as a player. Not sure about his fit with Zo though.

If he worked awesome with deandre jordan he works awesome with mourning
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#80 » by Snakebites » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:15 am

Larry_Russell wrote:
Snakebites wrote:I also don’t like Blake.

If he worked awesome with deandre jordan he works awesome with mourning

Those aren’t really the same type of offensive player though.

Both Blake and DAJ worked awesome with CP3.

Return to Trades and Transactions Games