Billups Carter Draft - Discussion

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,972

Re: Billups Carter Draft - Discussion 

Post#41 » by Snakebites » Thu May 2, 2024 5:02 pm

I absolutely love Dirk’s game. I’ve certainly had some trouble building successful teams with him recently but this feels like a solid pool for him.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,185

Post#42 » by Colbinii » Thu May 2, 2024 5:04 pm

flaco wrote:
Colbinii wrote:I didn't realize Michael Jordan would be available this far in the draft.

Welcome back mate! Honest question cause I don't follow the Wolves. How do the Wolves defend the corner 3? It seems like an impossible task with 2 drop bigs on the floor. In all honesty, I still think they can't win it all with their current roster structure, but maybe that's just me. It might work out against Jokic-Gordon who both score loads of points in the post. Ant is looking great, that's for sure. I'd argue his floor is rich man's Jaylen Brown. His ceiling is 1st ballot HOFer, MVP and the next face of the league. The Wolves claim he has grown 2 inches and now stands at 6'6''. Is this accurate?

Towns isn't a drop big.

It's important to remember Towns best defensive season(s) were when we had Beverley, Vanderbilt, Edwards and McDaniels and we blitzed/switched everything.

The problem with Drop coverage is there are just too many decisions points and it requires you to be patient. Gobert is arguably the GOAT drop big along with Brook Lopez, and both are so incredible on their positioning that it works.

Defensively, Towns can actually defend most larger 3's and all 4's in space, which allows Minnesota to stick McDaniels as a 6' 10" POA defender.

As for defending the corner 3, that's the shot they take away. Rudy guards the dunkers spot (Towns will be guarding Jokic, for example). The Wolves essentially switch most actions without Rudy in them which allows them to cover the Corner 3. Their rotations are so crisp and Conley/McDaniels/ANT/NAW are all so quick they just run every team off the 3P line and funnel teams into Gobert.

I used to think ANT would be like Jaylen Brown, but ANT is spectacular. Jaylen Brown is an insult at this point. Edwards can make all the passes at the right time (Skip pass, drive and kick opposite corner, ect) to a level Brown will never sniff. I think his floor now is like a more athletic Brandon Roy while his Ceiling is legitimately "I probably pick ANT over anyone in the post-season".

I don't think ANT is a legit 6' 6". I think he is maybe 6'5" but I still feel like he is 6'4 and change.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
flaco
Veteran
And1: 872

Post#43 » by flaco » Thu May 2, 2024 5:12 pm

Snakebites wrote:I absolutely love Dirk’s game. I’ve certainly had some trouble building successful teams with him recently but this feels like a solid pool for him.

Was on the fence between Dirk and KD. Opted for the latter primarily because he's a better defender, although Dirk is considerably cheaper. Briefly considered sending you a trade proposal to swap picks. I was almost certain you were taking Dirk. Hopefully, you won't take my guy in round 2. :lol:
flaco
Veteran
And1: 872

Post#44 » by flaco » Thu May 2, 2024 5:24 pm

Colbinii wrote:
flaco wrote:
Colbinii wrote:I didn't realize Michael Jordan would be available this far in the draft.

Welcome back mate! Honest question cause I don't follow the Wolves. How do the Wolves defend the corner 3? It seems like an impossible task with 2 drop bigs on the floor. In all honesty, I still think they can't win it all with their current roster structure, but maybe that's just me. It might work out against Jokic-Gordon who both score loads of points in the post. Ant is looking great, that's for sure. I'd argue his floor is rich man's Jaylen Brown. His ceiling is 1st ballot HOFer, MVP and the next face of the league. The Wolves claim he has grown 2 inches and now stands at 6'6''. Is this accurate?

Towns isn't a drop big.

It's important to remember Towns best defensive season(s) were when we had Beverley, Vanderbilt, Edwards and McDaniels and we blitzed/switched everything.

The problem with Drop coverage is there are just too many decisions points and it requires you to be patient. Gobert is arguably the GOAT drop big along with Brook Lopez, and both are so incredible on their positioning that it works.

Defensively, Towns can actually defend most larger 3's and all 4's in space, which allows Minnesota to stick McDaniels as a 6' 10" POA defender.

As for defending the corner 3, that's the shot they take away. Rudy guards the dunkers spot (Towns will be guarding Jokic, for example). The Wolves essentially switch most actions without Rudy in them which allows them to cover the Corner 3. Their rotations are so crisp and Conley/McDaniels/ANT/NAW are all so quick they just run every team off the 3P line and funnel teams into Gobert.

I used to think ANT would be like Jaylen Brown, but ANT is spectacular. Jaylen Brown is an insult at this point. Edwards can make all the passes at the right time (Skip pass, drive and kick opposite corner, ect) to a level Brown will never sniff. I think his floor now is like a more athletic Brandon Roy while his Ceiling is legitimately "I probably pick ANT over anyone in the post-season".

I don't think ANT is a legit 6' 6". I think he is maybe 6'5" but I still feel like he is 6'4 and change.

Brandon Roy is a good comp as well cause of his passing. I mentioned Brown cause of his athleticism. Let's say his floor is a high BBIQ Jaylen Brown or an athletic Brandon Roy. The advanced stats aren't capturing his impact yet (not in the regular season anyway) which is why I opted for Brown.

Would have never imagined KAT is being asked to switch ball screens on the perimeter. The Wolves are playing great though, so what do I know? Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated. It's an exciting time to be a Wolves fan, that's for sure.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#45 » by Snakebites » Thu May 2, 2024 5:29 pm

Jokic might be OP in this pool.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,185

Post#46 » by Colbinii » Thu May 2, 2024 5:30 pm

flaco wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
flaco wrote:Welcome back mate! Honest question cause I don't follow the Wolves. How do the Wolves defend the corner 3? It seems like an impossible task with 2 drop bigs on the floor. In all honesty, I still think they can't win it all with their current roster structure, but maybe that's just me. It might work out against Jokic-Gordon who both score loads of points in the post. Ant is looking great, that's for sure. I'd argue his floor is rich man's Jaylen Brown. His ceiling is 1st ballot HOFer, MVP and the next face of the league. The Wolves claim he has grown 2 inches and now stands at 6'6''. Is this accurate?

Towns isn't a drop big.

Brandon Roy is a good comp as well cause of his passing. I mentioned Brown cause of his athleticism. Let's say his floor is a high BBIQ Jaylen Brown or an athletic Brandon Roy. The advanced stats aren't capturing his impact yet (not in the regular season anyway) which is why I opted for Brown.

Yeah the Advanced Stats only seem to capture him in the post-season [small sample size].

Perhaps the most intriguing aspect of ANT's play in the post-season throughout his career is it looks sustainable. When you watch him play he makes the right decisions often and is supremely talented.

Would have never imagined KAT is being asked to switch ball screens on the perimeter. The Wolves are playing great though, so what do I know? Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated. It must be an exciting time to be a Wolves fan, that's for sure.

I was suprised as well. The important thing is Towns is a solid 2/10 as any sort of Drop Scheme Drop Big but a 5/10 or 6/10 on the perimeter against many 4's in the league. It's not so much he is good on the perimeter, he just doesn't kill you when put in a more mobile role away from the rim.

Offensively is where Towns is the real X-factor though.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#47 » by Snakebites » Thu May 2, 2024 5:53 pm

flaco wrote:
Snakebites wrote:I absolutely love Dirk’s game. I’ve certainly had some trouble building successful teams with him recently but this feels like a solid pool for him.

Was on the fence between Dirk and KD. Opted for the latter primarily because he's a better defender, although Dirk is considerably cheaper. Briefly considered sending you a trade proposal to swap picks. I was almost certain you were taking Dirk. Hopefully, you won't take my guy in round 2. :lol:

Yeah I’d have taken Dirk as high as 4. Only had Jokic, KG, Kawhi ahead of him on the big board.

Nets KD costs 20 FGA for his best season. And I still feel like Dirk is more trusted as a first option in the playoffs. Could be wrong.
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,960

Re: Billups Carter Draft - Signups 

Post#48 » by Larry_Russell » Thu May 2, 2024 6:10 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:I'd support adding Blazers with 11+ players

up
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,822

Post#49 » by Fadeaway_J » Thu May 2, 2024 6:38 pm

We need votes in the previous game.
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,670

Post#50 » by parsnips33 » Thu May 2, 2024 6:40 pm

CP3 and Tatum was my plan A coming into this
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#51 » by Snakebites » Thu May 2, 2024 7:13 pm

parsnips33 wrote:CP3 and Tatum was my plan A coming into this

I prefer Tatum over these versions of PG and Butler.
MadNESS
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,693

Post#52 » by MadNESS » Thu May 2, 2024 7:44 pm

lilroddyb wrote:In if there is still a spot left

Up
LAKESHOW
parsnips33
Head Coach

Post#53 » by parsnips33 » Thu May 2, 2024 7:51 pm

Snakebites wrote:
parsnips33 wrote:CP3 and Tatum was my plan A coming into this

I prefer Tatum over these versions of PG and Butler.

Same, but I'm hoping the 3 or so FGA I save can be put to better use elsewhere
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#54 » by Snakebites » Thu May 2, 2024 8:09 pm

flaco wrote:

Up
wackbone
RealGM
And1: 3,402

Post#55 » by wackbone » Thu May 2, 2024 8:47 pm

Oh dear, most of the people I was eyeing were all just taken in a row lol. Don't have a spreadsheet for this one, let's see what happens!

BAF Celtics
PG: Russell Westbrook|x
SG: Desmond Bane|Mathurin
SF: Mikal Bridges|Mathurin
PF: John Collins|x
C: Chet Holmgren|x

Other: Roddy, Saric
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,822

Post#56 » by Fadeaway_J » Thu May 2, 2024 8:52 pm

wackbone wrote:Oh dear, most of the people I was eyeing were all just taken in a row lol. Don't have a spreadsheet for this one, let's see what happens!

Tell me about it...
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#57 » by Snakebites » Thu May 2, 2024 8:53 pm

Thought about Bridges. Felt too conservative.
wackbone
RealGM
And1: 3,402

Post#58 » by wackbone » Thu May 2, 2024 8:57 pm

durantbird wrote:We'll wait for No Recent Champs draft playoffs to complete before we start.

With 12 in, I think adding Portland should be a good idea. Adding it.

Up

BAF Celtics
PG: Russell Westbrook|x
SG: Desmond Bane|Mathurin
SF: Mikal Bridges|Mathurin
PF: John Collins|x
C: Chet Holmgren|x

Other: Roddy, Saric
parsnips33
Head Coach

Post#59 » by parsnips33 » Thu May 2, 2024 9:28 pm

Really torn between 2 guys for my next pick and I don't think DB is gonna make my decision any easier
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#60 » by Snakebites » Thu May 2, 2024 9:39 pm

My list will get ravaged.

Return to Trades and Transactions Games