Recent Discovery

Moderator: Doctor MJ

crazybranman360
Starter
And1: 37

Recent Discovery 

Post#1 » by crazybranman360 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:39 am

Recently for the past week or so I've been checking the box scores and i've realized that about 95% of the time teams that shoot a better FG% and get to the foul line more win. I don't know if this is like a known fact but just wanted to share
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,004

Re: Recent Discovery 

Post#2 » by OGSactownballer » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:26 pm

This is why coaches stress that you need to hit your FT's and get the ball to the high percentage shot areas/shooters and not just jack up a lot of wild junk to try to make sportscenter. Winning is about taking care of the fundamentals. Take ANY contending level team as an example (although the Spurs are the best classic one) and you will find that their numbers when it comes to the fundamentals of the game are higher than their opponents ALMOST ALL THE TIME.
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 957

Post#3 » by Devin 1L » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:24 pm

Also, the team that scores more usually wins too.
D-Wins-RingsIMO
Banned User
And1: 3
Location: TORONTO ... where worst DRtg in the league happens!

Post#4 » by D-Wins-RingsIMO » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:52 am

in "Basketball on Paper" they published a table of metrics - everytihng from FG% to Tech fouls showing the correlation with winning ..... FG% had the highest correlation and I believe free throws made was near the top as well ..... things like blocks and steals weren't that significant at all.

Return to Statistical Analysis