Winnipeg NHL Team Name? 

Post#1 » by LittleOzzy » Wed Jun 1, 2011 2:16 pm

What should it be?
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,840

Re: Winnipeg NHL Team Name? 

Post#2 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Wed Jun 1, 2011 4:30 pm

Hopefully it's the Jets. Sadly, I have a weird feeling it won't be. If True North really wanted to name the team the "Jets", they could have just asked Bettman for the name yesterday before the press conference. However, seeing as how there is no team name yet, I fear that either True North doesn't want to use it, or Bettman and the league don't want to release the rights to the name.

If we can't have the "Jets", I think it would be pretty funny to name them the Manitoba Warriors. (Also the name of a street gang around here, in case you were wondering).
MrBojangelz71
Banned User
And1: 929

Post#3 » by MrBojangelz71 » Wed Jun 1, 2011 4:31 pm

If not the Jets I would like it to be the Moose. The logo, colors and mascot all work.

I also heard a new one yesterday, Manitoba Power. Manitoba Hydro just signed a massive 4.5 billion dollar deal to sell power down south. It is Manitoba's oil and it is renewable. Power would be a direct link to the Hydro Corp and would provide a strong $ endorsement form Hydro.
singh_shady
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,166

Post#4 » by singh_shady » Wed Jun 1, 2011 6:08 pm

The Jets with this logo:

SCF99
Senior
And1: 19

Post#5 » by SCF99 » Wed Jun 1, 2011 6:21 pm

I am from manitoba not Winn but would be all against any name having Manitoba in it,,and yes the winnepeg Jets would be my first and only choice.Even the colours should stay the same. Maybe the jets tattoo i got on my azz 7 years ago wont be so far fetched now
KGISDAMAN
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#6 » by KGISDAMAN » Wed Jun 1, 2011 11:46 pm

I want the Winnipeg jets, but have been hearing that it will be the Manitoba "something" probably falcons with the history behind it. if the name was going to be the jets they most likely would have announced it before the ticket drive.
We-Are-Lasers
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#7 » by We-Are-Lasers » Thu Jun 2, 2011 6:03 am

I don't like Moose. It seems like a cheesy name. Nothing you'd take serious. I want Jets but it depends how much more True North wants to spend.
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,215

Post#8 » by C Court » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:48 am

Moose is not an option. The True North guys have concluded it is an AHL name and will remain that way. Polar Bears was considered, but it was nixed. From what I've heard it very likely could be the Jets after all, with the Falcons a less likely second choice.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,764

Post#9 » by spykelee » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:46 am

Manitoba Movers come on. Everyone's afraid of movers
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM

Post#10 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:13 am

I'm guessing TNSE thought about changing the name, but the overwhelming response from the world has them second guessing themselves. It would be a PR disaster if they chose a name other than the Jets.
C Court
RealGM

Post#11 » by C Court » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:11 pm

Polar Bears was nixed by the Bruins and David Thomson likes the tradition of the Winnipeg Jets. I think public pressure will result in the Jets coming back.
Jeff23
Lead Assistant
And1: 245

Post#12 » by Jeff23 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:26 pm

Winnipeg Lions
We-Are-Lasers
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#13 » by We-Are-Lasers » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:18 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:I'm guessing TNSE thought about changing the name, but the overwhelming response from the world has them second guessing themselves. It would be a PR disaster if they chose a name other than the Jets.

It might be but it's out of True Norths power to some extent. The league owns the name now since they own the coyotes. The league would have to sell the name, which could add up. Something they might not want to do.
C Court
RealGM

Post#14 » by C Court » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:17 am

The NHL will basically sell the Jets name to True North for next to nothing if they want it.

True North paid $110 for the Atlanta franchise and $60 million to the NHL in a relocation fee. There was no one else willing to put up that kind of dough. So Bettman will not play hardball over the Jets name.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#15 » by YogiStewart » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:40 pm

They should be called The Winnipeg Bisons and use that horrible Sabres logo from the 90s
jmckay4
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#16 » by jmckay4 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:48 pm

The idea of giving up revenue doesn't wash. A redesign of the existing brand will produce effectively the same results. The fans with the money to buy the new redesigned jersey will fork out the bucks! The retro jerseys that are already in circulation will continue to produce revenues as people buy into the nostalgia of those rich colours. Furthermore, the coherence of brand from 1996 to present will promote loyalty. Just because a person or company buys season tix does not guarantee their loyalty, but if you are loyal to a brand for 15+ years despite the product being pulled from store shelves, you will return to it when it comes back! A name change will ostrasize the soft fans who are loyal to the logo and therefore True North will be fighting an uphill battle to achieve new Brand Loyalty. Think back to the Sens and the immediate response fans had to that nostalgic team name! Even if the league were to charge significant dollars for the name rights - True North would make that money back! It is all about re-marketing an existing brand! I personally love the redesign competition logo in the thread posted by Singh_Shady.... Look at the various designs that teams like Vancouver use? I mean, the Jets have fans across the country and the retro logo and colors are popular. A redesign will just boost sales!
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by YogiStewart » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:27 pm

you also have to take into account ex-Winnipeggers. I'd venture to guess that, after ex-Montrealers, Winnipeggers (followed by Neufies) are the greatest # of Canadian city ex-pats you'll find across Canada. The #1 hockey story after the playoffs is Winnipeg's new team. To get jersey sales outside of Winnipeg, choosing the Jets would be the smartest choice.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM

Post#18 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:55 pm

Hmmm....interesting. Anyhow, word is we'll find out after the BOG meeting on the 21st, but before the draft. I'm hoping it'll be the Jets, but the pessimistic part of me thinks it will be the Manitoba Moose.

http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/trdmrks/srch/vwTrdmrk.do;jsessionid=0001bjSA_vr_YbIRrI8ZqCmr6MR:1LG4ROICS9?lang=eng&status=OK&fileNumber=0396792&extension=0&startingDocumentIndexOnPage=1
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by YogiStewart » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:02 pm

Someone found this tidbit:

http://cargocollective.com/davidson#155 ... nipeg-Jets

This company claims they were contacted by True North. I hate their logo, though.

CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM

Post#20 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:47 pm

Ok, take this info for what it's worth:

I work for a federal department. Without getting into too much detail about where I work, my colleagues were asked to film a ceremony to be held at the MTS Center this Friday. We all thought it would be great if everyone appeared in Jets gear for this video, which would be shown nationwide to the rest of our department. Well, True North found out about it and asked us NOT to wear anything relating to the Jets. They said it was ok to wear hockey equipment, but nothing pertaining to the Jets.

EDIT: I just received clarification from my colleague. TNSE said it was okay to wear any other NHL jersey EXCEPT Jets jerseys. :(

I seriously have my doubts that this team will be named the Winnipeg Jets. There's also another guy on the Thrashers board on hfboards.com, who sounds pretty confident that TNSE will be sticking with the Manitoba Moose name.

Return to Winnipeg Jets