SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 933

Re: Official Trade Thread Part XLVI 

Post#721 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Wed May 15, 2024 1:06 am

payitforward wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
tontoz wrote:

Morey has said he is looking to trade picks for players and has a ton of cap space so we wouldn't have to take a player back.

I listened to The Game Theory ,NBA Podcast earlier, their mock draft when they got to 16 they were both like Zero chance Philly makes this pick, They are definitely trading this for veteran help.

IMO Kuzma would fit nicely with Embiid & Maxey.

Kuzma + 51 to Philly for 16 & 37.

Love it. But.. why give 51? & we'd need to take back salary, no?

Well, I included 51 as good measure. Plus it was relayed to me its undesirable to have too many rookies... So , I included it. But getting 16 + 37 is CLOSE to the two 1st rounders asking price the Wizards want for Kuz. Plus the benefit of not having to take back bad contracts to make it work because Philly is so far under the cap.

Just to verify I put it in the trade checker getting back a player that makes basically nothing if Philly picks up his team option, and it worked! Also, is this a scenario we would get back a trade exemption? I think it is, but I'm definitely not sure.

In any case, this is a win-win trade (IMO). Philly gets Kuzma (and 51), and we go into the draft with picks 2, 16, 26, 37 to kickstart our rebuild.

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/8777731
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,990

Post#722 » by payitforward » Wed May 15, 2024 1:10 am

Philly only has 3 guaranteed contracts for next year: Embiid, Paul Reed, & Ricky Council. For a total of $61m.

Presumably, they'll give Maxey a maximum rookie extension. Worth something north of $30m next year, I believe. I'm sure they'll be looking to sign FAs, but to me at least they seem likely to make their picks rather than trade them.

OTOH, you could argue that, yes, they need to trade for some vets too, & all they have to trade is draft capital, so... maybe I'm wrong? Maybe they would like to trade up for a high pick...?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,999

Post#723 » by tontoz » Wed May 15, 2024 1:12 am

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
payitforward wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:

I listened to The Game Theory ,NBA Podcast earlier, their mock draft when they got to 16 they were both like Zero chance Philly makes this pick, They are definitely trading this for veteran help.

IMO Kuzma would fit nicely with Embiid & Maxey.

Kuzma + 51 to Philly for 16 & 37.

Love it. But.. why give 51? & we'd need to take back salary, no?

Well, I included 51 as good measure. Plus it was relayed to me its undesirable to have too many rookies... So , I included it. But getting 16 + 37 is CLOSE to the two 1st rounders asking price the Wizards want for Kuz. Plus the benefit of not having to take back bad contracts to make it work because Philly is so far under the cap.

Just to verify I put it in the trade checker getting back a player that makes basically nothing if Philly picks up his team option, and it worked! Also, is this a scenario we would get back a trade exemption? I think it is, but I'm definitely not sure.

In any case, this is a win-win trade (IMO).

Yeah the salary match rule only applies when a team doesn't have the cap space to absorb the salary.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#724 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Wed May 15, 2024 1:21 am

tontoz wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
payitforward wrote:Love it. But.. why give 51? & we'd need to take back salary, no?

In any case, this is a win-win trade (IMO).

Yeah the salary match rule only applies when a team doesn't have the cap space to absorb the salary.

Heck, we can probably throw in Shamet and Holmes.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#725 » by tontoz » Wed May 15, 2024 1:29 am

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
Heck, we can probably throw in Shamet and Holmes.

Just depends on what Philly wants but there is good deal there.

I wonder if Kuzma turned down the Dallas trade because he had his eye on another team.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,990

Post#726 » by payitforward » Wed May 15, 2024 2:27 pm

tontoz wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Heck, we can probably throw in Shamet and Holmes.

Just depends on what Philly wants but there is good deal there. ...

Yes, & here's hoping we figure out a way to do it.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,019

Post#727 » by Dark Faze » Wed May 15, 2024 5:40 pm

80sballboy wrote:Just had to laugh at this one. Team that is rebuilding ain't doing this.
Read on Twitter

I'd be interested in getting him on a 3 year deal at something like 30 million a season with the hope that he puts up good numbers and can get us another lottery pick in a year or two, but I can't see much of any upside at all if he's gotten on a max contract.

Am I wrong for considering including Kispert for maybe a mid first rounder? I see him as a player that can be replaced so long as you're willing to pay market value. So that is to say unless we can sign him for below market value, it might be best to move on now.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#728 » by tontoz » Wed May 15, 2024 6:30 pm

I wouldn't even consider trading for Ingram. He is constantly hurt and doesn't play a position of need. Long term we are really lacking at guard and C. Poole certainly isn't a long term answer. Bagley/Holmes are fine as backups but that's all. Vuc is fine as a part time stretch 5 but not a full time option.

Also worth considering is that next years draft is strong for SGs, not so much for PGs.
Jay81
Starter
And1: 487

Post#729 » by Jay81 » Wed May 15, 2024 10:09 pm

tontoz wrote:I wouldn't even consider trading for Ingram. He is constantly hurt and doesn't play a position of need. Long term we are really lacking at guard and C. Poole certainly isn't a long term answer. Bagley/Holmes are fine as backups but that's all. Vuc is fine as a part time stretch 5 but not a full time option.

Also worth considering is that next years draft is strong for SGs, not so much for PGs.

trading for Ingram is the kind of moved Ernie would make to fight for a play in spot
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 865

Post#730 » by 9 and 20 » Thu May 16, 2024 8:43 am

tontoz wrote:I wouldn't even consider trading for Ingram. He is constantly hurt and doesn't play a position of need. Long term we are really lacking at guard and C. Poole certainly isn't a long term answer. Bagley/Holmes are fine as backups but that's all. Vuc is fine as a part time stretch 5 but not a full time option.

I also thought about that - we're going to have too many forwards if we take one this year, already have Deni/Bilal, and then grab Flagg or Ace Bailey next year. That's one of those good problems, I know. But locking in C or another guard and dreaming on pick #1 next year has me thinking about buying finals tix soon.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,740

Post#731 » by gambitx777 » Thu May 16, 2024 9:02 am

Weak draft or not. If anyone offers a top ten pick for kuzma and you don't take it that's gm malpractice.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,678

Post#732 » by nate33 » Thu May 16, 2024 12:18 pm

Jay81 wrote:

trading for Ingram is the kind of moved Ernie would make to fight for a play in spot

Yeah, it's the Iguadola pick for Jamison all over again. Only it's even worse because at least that team already had Gilbert Arenas and Larry Hughes. We would be making the trade for Ingram when we don't really have any long term pieces to pair with him except Avdija and Coulibaly
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,502

Post#733 » by mhd » Thu May 16, 2024 12:26 pm

nate33 wrote:
Jay81 wrote:

Yeah, it's the Iguadola pick for Jamison all over again. Only it's even worse because at least that team already had Gilbert Arenas and Larry Hughes. We would be making the trade for Ingram when we don't really have any long term pieces to pair with him except Avdija and Coulibaly

Winger and Dawkins are not that dumb to do an EG-style trade. We still owe that Knicks pick (top 10 protected next year, top 8 thereafter, otherwise it turns into two 2nds). We are not trying to good next year with the Flagg/Bailey/Harper draft anyways. We will still be the least talented team in the NBA regardless of what we do this summer.

I expect us to trade Kuzma between now and the deadline next year to maximize his trade value.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,678

Post#734 » by nate33 » Thu May 16, 2024 12:27 pm

Read on Twitter

I'm not sure if this is meant to be taken at face value, of if it's Klutch putting pressure on Cleveland to trade Mitchell to the Lakers. But if this is true, I wonder what the cost of Garland would be? He wasn't very good this year and his 5-year max extension is about to kick in. On the other hand, this might be a pretty good buy low opportunity. He was very good in 2022 and 2023, even squeaking into an All-Star game in 2022. I think he is a good player, he just can't co-exist with Mitchell.

How much would we need to add to Kuzma to get Garland? Is Kuzma + Holmes + #26 pick enough? Remember, Cleveland needs win-now talent to convince Mitchell to stay.

Other teams might be interested, but who would offer more. Would New Orleans offer Ingram? Would Brooklyn offer Bridges? I'm not sure they would.
gesa2
Rookie
And1: 263

Post#735 » by gesa2 » Thu May 16, 2024 12:30 pm

payitforward wrote:
tontoz wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Heck, we can probably throw in Shamet and Holmes.

Just depends on what Philly wants but there is good deal there. ...

Darryl Morey historically has pursued stars and scrubs as a team building model. I can’t see him valuing Kuz unless everything falls apart with his other plans, and that would happen well after the draft
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,824

Post#736 » by penbeast0 » Thu May 16, 2024 1:17 pm

nate33 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'm not sure if this is meant to be taken at face value, of if it's Klutch putting pressure on Cleveland to trade Mitchell to the Lakers. But if this is true, I wonder what the cost of Garland would be? He wasn't very good this year and his 5-year max extension is about to kick in. On the other hand, this might be a pretty good buy low opportunity. He was very good in 2022 and 2023, even squeaking into an All-Star game in 2022. I think he is a good player, he just can't co-exist with Mitchell.

How much would we need to add to Kuzma to get Garland? Is Kuzma + Holmes + #26 pick enough? Remember, Cleveland needs win-now talent to convince Mitchell to stay.

Other teams might be interested, but who would offer more. Would New Orleans offer Ingram? Would Brooklyn offer Bridges? I'm not sure they would.

I can't even imagine that would be close. The only suggestion I found on the trade board was Avdija and Tyus Jones (S&T) and I think they also wanted #26.

And, of course, if the brain trust is invested in Jordan Poole, rather than just waiting for the first opportunity to get rid of him, Garland's a bad fit with him as well.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#737 » by tontoz » Thu May 16, 2024 1:40 pm

gesa2 wrote:
payitforward wrote:
tontoz wrote:Just depends on what Philly wants but there is good deal there. ...

Darryl Morey historically has pursued stars and scrubs as a team building model. I can’t see him valuing Kuz unless everything falls apart with his other plans, and that would happen well after the draft

Philly has to fill out the roster with some role players. The only guys they actually have under contract for next year are Embiid, Reed and Council and the latter two are cheap.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#738 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Thu May 16, 2024 1:55 pm

tontoz wrote:
gesa2 wrote:
payitforward wrote:Yes, & here's hoping we figure out a way to do it.

Philly has to fill out the roster with some role players. The only guys they actually have under contract for next year are Embiid, Reed and Council and the latter two are cheap.

Right. Honestly we are perfect trade partners. Philly doesn’t have a lot of trade assets and are in win now mode. They’re not going to get a superstar for the #16 pick. But they can get Kuzma, who is in his prime in a good contract, has experience playing for a championship team, and is a versatile player who would be a perfect 3rd scorer with Embiid and Maxey.

As far as role players, we can throw in any of Jones (S&T), Shamet, Holmes, Bagley, if they want.
Jay81
Starter
And1: 487

Post#739 » by Jay81 » Fri May 17, 2024 8:02 pm

Nate---orlando wants to trade their 1st rounder. they dumbly drafted Jett Howard last year and he didnt even play. So they need to give him minutes. They could also use someone like Kispert! What can we come up with?
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,502

Post#740 » by mhd » Fri May 17, 2024 8:36 pm

If SAS wants to get the #2 pick (to take Topic or Zach R.), I think a deal can be had. The baseline compensation is a future first to move up in that portion of the draft. Would you take a future first in a trade down from 2 to 4?

Return to Washington Wizards