ImageImageImageImageImage

Discussing Other Teams' Moves (Part III)

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Silvie Lysandra
Starter
And1: 383

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves (Part III) 

Post#1121 » by Silvie Lysandra » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:59 am

Detroit benches Iverson, which is what they should have done all along. Have him back up Rip and Stuckey for 25-30 minutes per game.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,573

Post#1122 » by closg00 » Sun Mar 1, 2009 4:49 pm

Houston looks close to signing DC native James White to a 10-day. White is one the hottest players in the D-league and will probably find his way back into the NBA.. Check him out winning the NBDL slam-dunk contest.
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/200 ... test-3112/
closg00
RealGM

Post#1123 » by closg00 » Mon Mar 2, 2009 12:35 pm

If you are Portland, what do you do with Oden once his rookie contract is up? Considering his health, Oden's value is certainly dropping at this point.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,191

Post#1124 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Mar 2, 2009 2:17 pm

Chaos Revenant wrote:Detroit benches Iverson, which is what they should have done all along. Have him back up Rip and Stuckey for 25-30 minutes per game.

Iverson's stock as a player has certainly plummeted the past few seasons. He and Webber weren't successful in Philly. AI's short run in Denver was really bad. Meanwhile, that same team with Billups instead of Iverson has been much improved. Now he comes to Detroit and the team can't win with him in the lineup. Add to that he seems to be having some injury concerns. Yikes.

I wonder what kind of deal Iverson will get next season? I believe he's just had some bad luck, but I'm wondering if, like Steve Nash at his age is Iverson slowing down. One thing, though, is his defense is really bad now. Just like Nash's.

Question: If he were willing to play for the MLE would Iverson be okay as Wizards SG next season?

Incentives for him to play for nothing would be fan approval, a team that would win at least twice as many games and maybe three times as many, plus the chance for AI to be a third or fourth scoring option.
Bye bye Beal.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 785

Post#1125 » by LyricalRico » Mon Mar 2, 2009 2:45 pm

closg00 wrote:If you are Portland, what do you do with Oden once his rookie contract is up? Considering his health, Oden's value is certainly dropping at this point.

It all depends on what you can re-sign him for. If you can keep him for $7M per season, then I think you do it and take your chances. But if somebody offers him $10M per season then I think you look at a sign-and-trade.
RealGM

Post#1126 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Mar 2, 2009 2:54 pm

closg00 wrote:Houston looks close to signing DC native James White to a 10-day. White is one the hottest players in the D-league and will probably find his way back into the NBA.. Check him out winning the NBDL slam-dunk contest.
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/200 ... test-3112/

Good for White. When he came out of the draft I thought he'd stick with an NBA team and be an impactful player.

As for Houston, I think their GM Darryl Morey is the best talent evaluator in the game right now. I also think now that they're a defensive team that features Yao as a scorer and surrounds him with defense they've got a legit shot at the NBA title this season.

Artest and Battier will make Kobe or Lebron work harder and not dominate as much. Scola is solid players who can score and rebound. The trade for Lowry has given them, along with Brooks, extreme quickness and intensity at PG that will improve as the season goes on. I like that kid Von Wafer. Pure shooter with deep range. Game's similar to Nick Young's, but Wafer has a better three point shot. Also, they just got back Landry, a PF with bounce to his game who can also score and rebound.

I believe Adelman is bound to get the recognition he deserves as a coach and think either he or Sloan will be in the finals this season. The Rockets and the Jazz are each peaking.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1127 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Mar 2, 2009 3:04 pm

closg00 wrote:If you are Portland, what do you do with Oden once his rookie contract is up? Considering his health, Oden's value is certainly dropping at this point.

If you look around the league, the era of dominating Cs is making a comeback. D

Dwight Howard is an MVP candidate. Bynum is a dominating player when healthy. Lopez has been very solid for New Jersey. D'Andre Jordan has already had a 20 rebound game and a 6 block game. There's this kid named McGee who has received praise from players like Chris Paul and IIRC Lebron. (Too bad McGee's coach doesn't give him many minutes.) Another good young C is Spencer Hawes. Anthony Randolph is skinny but IMO he plays like a C and he will fill out.

Oden's injuries IMO have him not any better than the guys I mentioned. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Blazers tried to trade Oden for another guy or for rights to Thabeet and some other pick.
Bye bye Beal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,684

Post#1128 » by nate33 » Mon Mar 2, 2009 3:19 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Chaos Revenant wrote:Detroit benches Iverson, which is what they should have done all along. Have him back up Rip and Stuckey for 25-30 minutes per game.

Iverson's stock as a player has certainly plummeted the past few seasons. He and Webber weren't successful in Philly. AI's short run in Denver was really bad. Meanwhile, that same team with Billups instead of Iverson has been much improved. Now he comes to Detroit and the team can't win with him in the lineup. Add to that he seems to be having some injury concerns. Yikes.

I wonder what kind of deal Iverson will get next season? I believe he's just had some bad luck, but I'm wondering if, like Steve Nash at his age is Iverson slowing down. One thing, though, is his defense is really bad now. Just like Nash's.

Question: If he were willing to play for the MLE would Iverson be okay as Wizards SG next season?

Incentives for him to play for nothing would be fan approval, a team that would win at least twice as many games and maybe three times as many, plus the chance for AI to be a third or fourth scoring option.

Iverson is the most overrated player in the history of basketball. He made it out of the first round of the playoffs just 4 times in 12 years, and made it out of the 2nd round just once.

Since 1975, there have been 195 instances where a player has averaged 25 or more points per game. People seem to give Iverson a lot of credit because he has done it 10 times. The problem is his efficiency. If you rank those 195 performances by TS%, Iverson accounts for 5 of the 6 worst performances plus, the 9th worst, 20th worst, 29th worst and 31st worst performances. If you rank those 195 top scoring seasons by turnovers, Iverson posted 3 of the 7 worst seasons and 9 of the 31 worst seasons. Overall, he posted 8 of the 14 least efficient seasons among high volume scorers (going by Offensive Rating). Nobody else appears in the top 15 more than once!

With that kind of efficiency, Iverson has no business shooting so much. Iverson is, BY FAR, the biggest chucker of all time. He shoots his teams out of a lot more games than he shoots them into them.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1129 » by LyricalRico » Mon Mar 2, 2009 5:16 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I wonder what kind of deal Iverson will get next season? I believe he's just had some bad luck, but I'm wondering if, like Steve Nash at his age is Iverson slowing down. One thing, though, is his defense is really bad now. Just like Nash's.

He'll definitely get a deal somewhere. I can see Dallas being interested if they let Kidd walk. But the question is will Iverson find any success wherever he ends up? If he's smart he'll completely re-invent himself as a 6th man who averages 15ppg off the bench for a high octane team - sort of like what Stackhouse was when he first got to Dallas.
jimij
Analyst
And1: 18

Post#1130 » by jimij » Mon Mar 2, 2009 7:07 pm

I think AI should go to the Knicks. It hurts my head to think how many shot attempts he could put up playing in D'antoni's seven seconds or less offense. Plus its not like they'd care if he plays D or not.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1131 » by LyricalRico » Mon Mar 2, 2009 7:54 pm

jimij wrote:I think AI should go to the Knicks. It hurts my head to think how many shot attempts he could put up playing in D'antoni's seven seconds or less offense. Plus its not like they'd care if he plays D or not.

I'd thought about them but I don't know how that would work considering their 2010 plans. Of course, I'm assuing AI wants a large multi-year deal. Theoretically he could always sign a one year deal with NY for the MLE. The Knicks get to rent him to stay competitive while waiting for LeBron and Iverson gets to pad his stats so he can cash in during the 2010 offseason.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#1132 » by miller31time » Mon Mar 2, 2009 8:19 pm

nate33 wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:

Iverson is the most overrated player in the history of basketball. He made it out of the first round of the playoffs just 4 times in 12 years, and made it out of the 2nd round just once.

Since 1975, there have been 195 instances where a player has averaged 25 or more points per game. People seem to give Iverson a lot of credit because he has done it 10 times. The problem is his efficiency. If you rank those 195 performances by TS%, Iverson accounts for 5 of the 6 worst performances plus, the 9th worst, 20th worst, 29th worst and 31st worst performances. If you rank those 195 top scoring seasons by turnovers, Iverson posted 3 of the 7 worst seasons and 9 of the 31 worst seasons. Overall, he posted 8 of the 14 least efficient seasons among high volume scorers (going by Offensive Rating). Nobody else appears in the top 15 more than once!

With that kind of efficiency, Iverson has no business shooting so much. Iverson is, BY FAR, the biggest chucker of all time. He shoots his teams out of a lot more games than he shoots them into them.

Yup. But don't tell anyone on the PC Board that. All of the AI homers will come out and ignore your entire post, while saying how incredible a scorer AI was for as small as he was....not understanding that we aren't grading on a curve.
RealGM

Post#1133 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Mar 3, 2009 7:03 am

jimij wrote:I think AI should go to the Knicks. It hurts my head to think how many shot attempts he could put up playing in D'antoni's seven seconds or less offense. Plus its not like they'd care if he plays D or not.

They already have a litttle guy that can put up 40 and he jumps higher than AI. What does AI give them at this point that Nate Robinson doesn't?
Bye bye Beal.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,836

Post#1134 » by Rafael122 » Wed Mar 4, 2009 3:53 am

What is it about the Miami Heat that every free agent or cut guy is rumored to go there? I don't get it.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1135 » by LyricalRico » Wed Mar 4, 2009 12:34 pm

Rafael122 wrote:What is it about the Miami Heat that every free agent or cut guy is rumored to go there? I don't get it.

South beach, beautiful women, and no state income tax (IIRC). Although i am a little surprised that Head went there when contenders are loading up for title runs. Orlando or New Orleans would have been better options for him IMO.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#1136 » by fishercob » Wed Mar 4, 2009 1:17 pm

Gooden to the Spurs. Assuming that sports hernia doesn't hamper him too much, I'd pick them to win it all this year.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
closg00
RealGM

Post#1137 » by closg00 » Wed Mar 4, 2009 1:40 pm

Size matters in the playoffs. Gooden, Moore, Smith getting deals, who's next?
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/w ... ml?eref=T1
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#1138 » by JWizmentality » Wed Mar 4, 2009 7:56 pm

I really really envy well run organizations like the Spurs.....sigh. Time for my anti-depressants.
spaceman_E
Sixth Man
And1: 30

Post#1139 » by spaceman_E » Thu Mar 5, 2009 3:37 am

Does anyone else agree that it's BS how all these teams are buying out quality players and the good teams basically get them for free?
You don't win friends with salad.
closg00
RealGM

Post#1140 » by closg00 » Thu Mar 5, 2009 1:03 pm

DALLAS -- Pops Mensah-Bonsu didn't make it to the end of a 10-day contract with the San Antonio Spurs, but he won't be out of a job long.

Mensah-Bonsu said Wednesday in Dallas that he will sign with the Toronto Raptors, possibly as soon as Thursday, after getting what NBA front-office sources described as guaranteed offers for the rest of the season from Toronto and the Oklahoma City Thunder.

If we aren't going to play Pech or Dixon, why-not release one of them and call someone up who might a have a real chance of signing on as a FA and really helping this team next year (James White, Will Conroy)? Is the rest of this season just going to be a showcase for Mike James & Song?

Return to Washington Wizards