No, these rotations are terrible
79%

Total votes: 19

WallStar
Junior
And1: 192

Re: The Amazingly Sucky Wes Unseld Jr. Thread 

Post#121 » by WallStar » Tue May 16, 2023 3:21 pm

Time to can Wes and bring in either Doc or Monty.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,712

Post#122 » by montestewart » Wed May 17, 2023 12:49 am

WallStar wrote:Time to can Wes and bring in either Doc or Monty.

I’m booked doc. What’s your schedule look like?
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#123 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Wed May 17, 2023 12:52 am

Can’t coach. Can’t bring the juju
In Rizzo we trust
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,960

Post#124 » by Frichuela » Wed May 17, 2023 12:55 am

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:Can’t coach. Can’t bring the juju

:lol:
tleikheen
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,040

Post#125 » by tleikheen » Fri May 19, 2023 9:38 pm

Raising my hand for hiring Nick Nurse , even though WUJ was hired as a "defense Coach" that hasnt happened !
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#126 » by WallToWall » Fri May 19, 2023 9:59 pm

Back when the Wizards said that they would bring back WUJ, a few of us, myself included, thought that it was too soon to have committed to WUJ, as there would soon be other coaches, good ones, on the market. I understand the Wizards desire to give WUJ, what they deem to be, a fair shake. IMO, he already has had a fair shake, we know what he can/cant do well, and one more year will not make a difference in that assessment. That said, will WUJ want to add to his coaching staff, and if he does, what coach would want to come to the Wizards knowing that there is a short leash. If the Wizards added Nurse, or Doc, or <name your good coach>, and it happened not with the blessing of WUJ, then WUJ will constantly be looking over his shoulder, and the players may not respond to him. Neither of those situations are good, as it points to more disfunction. The best thing to do, IMO, is to get rid of WUJ and start a rebuild.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,995

Post#127 » by FAH1223 » Sun May 21, 2023 11:34 pm

WallToWall wrote:Back when the Wizards said that they would bring back WUJ, a few of us, myself included, thought that it was too soon to have committed to WUJ, as there would soon be other coaches, good ones, on the market. I understand the Wizards desire to give WUJ, what they deem to be, a fair shake. IMO, he already has had a fair shake, we know what he can/cant do well, and one more year will not make a difference in that assessment. That said, will WUJ want to add to his coaching staff, and if he does, what coach would want to come to the Wizards knowing that there is a short leash. If the Wizards added Nurse, or Doc, or <name your good coach>, and it happened not with the blessing of WUJ, then WUJ will constantly be looking over his shoulder, and the players may not respond to him. Neither of those situations are good, as it points to more disfunction. The best thing to do, IMO, is to get rid of WUJ and start a rebuild.

Does this sound like a man who will be let go?

Read on Twitter

Sounds like a man who is in a secured position
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 863

Post#128 » by 9 and 20 » Mon May 22, 2023 3:33 am

FAH1223 wrote:
WallToWall wrote:Back when the Wizards said that they would bring back WUJ, a few of us, myself included, thought that it was too soon to have committed to WUJ, as there would soon be other coaches, good ones, on the market. I understand the Wizards desire to give WUJ, what they deem to be, a fair shake. IMO, he already has had a fair shake, we know what he can/cant do well, and one more year will not make a difference in that assessment. That said, will WUJ want to add to his coaching staff, and if he does, what coach would want to come to the Wizards knowing that there is a short leash. If the Wizards added Nurse, or Doc, or <name your good coach>, and it happened not with the blessing of WUJ, then WUJ will constantly be looking over his shoulder, and the players may not respond to him. Neither of those situations are good, as it points to more disfunction. The best thing to do, IMO, is to get rid of WUJ and start a rebuild.

Does this sound like a man who will be let go?

Read on Twitter

Sounds like a man who is in a secured position

That's true but Tommy S was talking like a guy who had job security too.

I really don't know with Wes. We've had far worse in the past, no doubt. I would definitely hire Wittman just to sit on the bench and mean mug the other team. Maybe only as an assistant.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
leswizards
Pro Prospect
And1: 212

Post#129 » by leswizards » Mon May 22, 2023 2:20 pm

The Wizards very well may give a financially crippling contract to a player that many of the poster’s on this board think is awful. And here is the coach of the Wizards singing that player’s praise as if the player is worthy of the financially crippling contract, which isn’t surprising considering that the coach already plays the player more than any other player on the team. Yet, if any poster criticizes the coach for being part of the problem with the team, many of the posters who are critical of Kuzma comes to wuj’s defense. I just don’t get it.

My only hope is that the new gm is of the same opinion as me when it comes to wuj and Kuzma, but my guess is that any gm candidate that wants to fire wuj and not resign Kuzma won’t get hired.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,960

Post#130 » by Frichuela » Mon May 22, 2023 2:29 pm

leswizards wrote:The Wizards very well may give a financially crippling contract to a player that many of the poster’s on this board think is awful. And here is the coach of the Wizards singing that player’s praise as if the player is worthy of the financially crippling contract, which isn’t surprising considering that the coach already plays the player more than any other player on the team. Yet, if any poster criticizes the coach for being part of the problem with the team, many of the posters who are critical of Kuzma comes to wuj’s defense. I just don’t get it.

My only hope is that the new gm is of the same opinion as me when it comes to wuj and Kuzma, but my guess is that any gm candidate that wants to fire wuj and not resign Kuzma won’t get hired.

Amen. 100%.
tleikheen
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,040

Post#131 » by tleikheen » Mon May 29, 2023 10:19 pm

Nick Nurse is the new Coach for the 76ers, Adrian Griffin the new Coach of the Bucks , good Coaches and the Wiz promising WUJ he's the Coach ....... Wiz will be mediocre with him Coaching his Bradley Bealcentric ISO ball ,AGAIN
gesa2
Rookie
And1: 260

Post#132 » by gesa2 » Tue May 30, 2023 3:27 am

To be honest tleikheen we have no idea how good of a coach Adrian Griffin is. Sounds like a good one but until they do it you don’t know. Big gamble for the Bucks.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,995

Post#133 » by FAH1223 » Tue May 30, 2023 5:45 am

Is Wes a better coach than Joe Mazzulla?
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,566

Post#134 » by closg00 » Sat Jul 1, 2023 3:47 pm

Coach has his work cut-out for him, the rotations will be interesting, and is he under orders to manage the tank?
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,970

Post#135 » by TGW » Sat Jul 1, 2023 4:00 pm

closg00 wrote:Coach has his work cut-out for him, the rotations will be interesting, and is he under orders to manage the tank?

Player development HAS TO GET BETTER. The Raptors let go of Nick Nurse, a coach who won a ring for them, because Masai believed PD wasn't where it needed to be. Wes can't allow the ballhogger vets i.e. Poole and Kuzma free range to shoot with no structure, while benching the younger players because they didn't do something right.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
leswizards
Pro Prospect

Post#136 » by leswizards » Tue Nov 7, 2023 11:28 pm

I refuse to believe this wizards team is this bad. I get a large part of the problem is players underperforming (Jordan Poole, Corey Kispert, et Al). However I feel that Wes Jr also bares a huge responsibility for how bad this team looked. His teams have been 25th, 21st and now 30th in drtg, in spite of him allegedly placing an emphasis on defense in giving out minutes. Players under him constantly under perform. Good players constantly languish on the bench. Players with a lack of offensive discipline are never benched. Same shyte, different year.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,956

Post#137 » by payitforward » Wed Nov 8, 2023 1:49 pm

leswizards wrote:I refuse to believe this wizards team is this bad....

Why?

Of course we are this bad. Why would we not be?

We've had a zillion bad drafts in a row. This year we have an 18-19 year old R1 pick w/ a lot of upside, but no one is expecting him to put up good numbers is heavy minutes as a rookie (would be great if he did of course, but...).

Why would we be any good at all?

leswizards wrote:... I feel that Wes Jr also bares a huge responsibility for how bad this team looked....

We are just getting started on what will clearly wind up a total rebuild. No one could make this roster anything other than what it's shown so far.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
leswizards
Pro Prospect

Post#138 » by leswizards » Wed Nov 8, 2023 2:19 pm

payitforward wrote:
leswizards wrote:I refuse to believe this wizards team is this bad....

Why?

Of course we are this bad. Why would we not be?

We've had a zillion bad drafts in a row. This year we have an 18-19 year old R1 pick w/ a lot of upside, but no one is expecting him to put up good numbers is heavy minutes as a rookie (would be great if he did of course, but...).

Why would we be any good at all?

leswizards wrote:... I feel that Wes Jr also bares a huge responsibility for how bad this team looked....

We are just getting started on what will clearly wind up a total rebuild. No one could make this roster anything other than what it's shown so far.

I don’t have a problem with the team being 1-6. I have a problem with a team that looks like it doesn’t even belong on an nba court. And, yes wuj bares a huge responsibility for that, and I am quite certain that better coaching could make this team look more competitive.

And actually the wizards haven’t blown a zillion draft picks in a row. Deni is looking good. Kispert was looking good last season but seems to suck this year. Johnny Davis sucked last year, but he is playing well this season. Even Rui out in Los Angeles is playing well. So, it seems that the Wizards have had 5 straight (including bilal) decent first round picks, but are stuck with a coach who is incapable of getting decent consistent production out of those first round picks.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,601

Post#139 » by nate33 » Wed Nov 8, 2023 3:05 pm

I was expecting a bad team. In particular, I thought we would suffer a great deal by not having any real defense benders on the roster. When you best offensive player is Kyle Kuzma, you are sure to have a lousy offense. If the Wizards finished dead last in offense, it wouldn't really bother me. You can't squeeze blood from a stone.

What concerns me is how bad the defense is. When I look at the personnel, I see a lot of competent NBA defenders. Tyus Jones played the 3rd most minutes on the 2nd best defensive team in the league last year. Delon Wright is an exceptional defender. Deni Avdija is an exceptional defender. Kuzma is an average-ish defender at least. He is tall, agile, experienced, and has a championship ring as a role playing defender. Gafford is a good shot blocker, albeit not a great defensive decision-maker. I understand that Jordan Poole is bad, and Kispert is limited; but still, I don't see the talent of the worst defensive team in the league. I'm not expecting miracles, but I don't understand why they can't defend as well as a team like the Chicago Bulls (23rd ranked defense) or the Dallas Mavericks (17th ranked defense). Both of those teams lack a quality defensive center and have to worry about hiding bad perimeter defenders, but they somehow manage to be mediocre defensively.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,364

Post#140 » by Kanyewest » Wed Nov 8, 2023 4:44 pm

nate33 wrote:I was expecting a bad team. In particular, I thought we would suffer a great deal by not having any real defense benders on the roster. When you best offensive player is Kyle Kuzma, you are sure to have a lousy offense. If the Wizards finished dead last in offense, it wouldn't really bother me. You can't squeeze blood from a stone.

What concerns me is how bad the defense is. When I look at the personnel, I see a lot of competent NBA defenders. Tyus Jones played the 3rd most minutes on the 2nd best defensive team in the league last year. Delon Wright is an exceptional defender. Deni Avdija is an exceptional defender. Kuzma is an average-ish defender at least. He is tall, agile, experienced, and has a championship ring as a role playing defender. Gafford is a good shot blocker, albeit not a great defensive decision-maker. I understand that Jordan Poole is bad, and Kispert is limited; but still, I don't see the talent of the worst defensive team in the league. I'm not expecting miracles, but I don't understand why they can't defend as well as a team like the Chicago Bulls (23rd ranked defense) or the Dallas Mavericks (17th ranked defense). Both of those teams lack a quality defensive center and have to worry about hiding bad perimeter defenders, but they somehow manage to be mediocre defensively.

Tyus Jones is certainly a positive defender although they also had Jaren Jackson Jr, Dillon Brooks, Desmond Bane, Steven Adams, and Brandon Clarke. In the season they went on a run without Morant, they also had Kyle Anderson and De'Anthony Melton. That's much better than what Washington can certainly throw at the moment. Considering Beal was a much better defender than Poole, KP just being big and grabbing boards was certainly helpful, even Taj GIbson gave good minutes last year defensively.

I think a good offense can lead to a good defense in the case of the Mavericks. Luka may be a negative defender although him getting to the free throw line (limits and rebounding exceptionally well for a guard helps - a good offense (4th leads to a good defense) can help a defense. They have capable wing defenders like WIlliams/Green, Exum. But the big thing is that they have better bigs than the Wizards in Lively, Powell, and Powell.

The Bulls are probably good defensively because Alex Caruso is a beast. Plus they are much better on the boards than the Wizards (Vucevic and Drummond). For the rest of the roster they have similar level dfenders than the Wizards (Patrick Williams comes to mind)

Not a big Wes fan, but it feels like the 1-5 start makes sense as far as the roster construction considering the Beal/KP Trades and that Bilal is very raw.

Return to Washington Wizards