ImageImageImageImageImage

Woj: Gafford to Dallas

Moderators: montestewart, LyricalRico, nate33

DCZards
RealGM
And1: 4,012

Re: Woj: Gafford to Dallas 

Post#121 » by DCZards » Fri Feb 9, 2024 9:32 pm

payitforward wrote:Actually, 2011 (when Kawhi went) was called a bad class -- almost universally. & the fact that he went at 15 tells you with great clarity that no one knew how good 2011 would be. Not to mention Jimmy Butler at 30 that same year.

Because the season was going to be a shortened one, it was said that a lot of prospects were staying another year in college. Along the same lines, 2012 was then dubbed a very strong draft class.

But, in fact, 2011 turned out to be an extremely strong draft overall, while 2012 featured a quite weak R1 overall.

In short, we have no idea whatever whether 2024 will be "a bad class" or an outstanding one.

Yup...it's almost impossible to know whether this is a weak draft class--or a good one. That really is only something that can be determined for sure years from now. Personally, I'm happy to have multiple first round picks in ANY draft, especially given this team's desperate need for talent.

All we can do is hope that the Zards FO strike gold (or at least silver :) ) with one or more of the picks we have.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,960

Post#122 » by Frichuela » Fri Feb 9, 2024 9:35 pm

Endless Loop wrote:
The Consiglieri wrote:It's probably crazy, but it does make me wonder if they think the efficacy of his game isn't good for the tank, and his contract wraps in '25-'26 and so its empty calories in lost seasons anyway? Add in that they got Bagley in here for 1.5 of those 2.5 seasons and maybe they feel like just giving Bagley the minutes so maybe we can flip him as well as in '24 or '25, don't let Gafford's talent screw us up since he's likely gone once we try to contend in '26? That sounds crazy as hell, even to me (although I would totally do it lol), but its conceivable, and add in that they probably will use one of those later picks in June on a big, and it does make me wonder why....

most likely to me is simply:
1.Gaffords gone when we can contend, so lets get a first now for a player we'll actually have when we're contending.
2. Give more minutes to Bagley so we can showcase and maybe flip him with empty stats to somebody.
3. Losing Gafford maybe helps the tank

That would be what I imagine the reasoning is, with 1 and 2 being the most likely. You guys would know better than me though. I'm torn on it, I would have preferred a future first to one in this draft (although its helpful to hear that the class appears to flatten out, outside the early lottery), and I'd prefer a better first, but I always heard that the debate was, could we get a first for him at all, and the consensus seemed to be more "maybe" than a high or mid first. The problem for me, though, is that at the end of the day, neither of those firsts are likely to be close enough to the middle to be that valuable. It really feels more like the pick is probably gonna sit somewhere between 23rd and 28th, which is basically a late mid 1st, to a glorified touch earlier than a 2nd rounder which is just total ---.

It's done though, and I'm glad we have more picks if nothing else, and it probably does help the tank the next two-three years to be rid of his solid play.

I think that #3 is underrated. The Wiz have played a bit better lately, while Charlotte is cratering, SA is flatlining, and Detroit's picking up a few wins. The loss of Gaff might be worth 2-3 losses, which could help a lot in the race to the bottom.

Maybe now they can lose with more style points, and not have to pull Deni for the entire fourth quarter when they're in danger of picking up an unexpected win.

Otherwise hard to understand why you deplete the position you're thinnest at while keeping all your (expiring) point guards in a guard-heavy draft.

If this is really the case, its quite upsetting actually. The draft odds for the bottom 4 in the lottery are very similar, I'd rather they played the right way and set up a good culture and accountability...but it seems they rather watch someone like Kuz shoot us out of games...
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 4,012

Post#123 » by DCZards » Fri Feb 9, 2024 9:50 pm

Don't overthink this stuff guys. They traded Gaff because a FRP was available. Pure and simple. It had nothing to do with possibly winning 2 or 3 more games because he's our starting center.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Post#124 » by tontoz » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:10 am

Glad to see they did right by Gafford, trading him to a good team so he can play in games that matter. Gafford is a good guy I will be rooting for him in Dallas.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,990

Post#125 » by FAH1223 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:41 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
tontoz
RealGM

Post#126 » by tontoz » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:08 pm

Nice debut in Dallas :nod:
tleikheen
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,036

Post#127 » by tleikheen » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:21 pm

Gaff ,19pts/9rebs in 17 minutes in his 1st game w/Mavs ,wow
tontoz
RealGM

Post#128 » by tontoz » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:26 pm

tleikheen wrote:Gaff ,19pts/9rebs in 17 minutes in his 1st game w/Mavs ,wow

Dallas fans are flipping out :lol:
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,827

Post#129 » by Rafael122 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:54 pm

I read something last week that a significant part of the league can't trade picks until the draft which is why you didn't see Kuzma get traded.

I do question why Wright/Jones didn't get traded, but if the offers aren't there, the offers aren't there. Minnesota could have offered 4 second round picks but how many of them are actually valuable picks and not ones that are "protected 31-55."
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,885

Post#130 » by Wizardspride » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:13 pm

tontoz wrote:

They should be :nod:

We gave away Gafford as far as I'm concerned.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,448

Post#131 » by doclinkin » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:16 pm

Rafael122 wrote:I read something last week that a significant part of the league can't trade picks until the draft which is why you didn't see Kuzma get traded.

I do question why Wright/Jones didn't get traded, but if the offers aren't there, the offers aren't there. Minnesota could have offered 4 second round picks but how many of them are actually valuable picks and not ones that are "protected 31-55."

Yeah draft night may be super busy.

I'm curious who the team is looking at with that late first pick though, we know Gaff's shortcomings and strengths, and for whatever be brings to a team we haven't won with him, so it is worth a gamble on upside. He's only ever grabbed the starting spot by default. Put up numbers but did not move the needle. Still for this trade to be worth anything essentially you either have to find a guy who figures to be better, or you want to have the option to trade up if there is a guy just out of reach. This draft I don't see any trade-up guy, so I figure they have 3-4 guys they've been tracking for that late spot.

Bronny James maybe. That would stir the pot some.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#132 » by tontoz » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:32 pm

doclinkin wrote:

:lol:

He has really sucked at USC. If he actually declares for the draft anyone that drafts him with anything other than a late 2nd round pick has a screw loose.

Looks like the only thing he got from his father was his foul shooting.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#133 » by doclinkin » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:34 pm

tontoz wrote:
doclinkin wrote:

:lol:

He has really sucked at USC. If he actually declares for the draft anyone that drafts him with anything other than a late 2nd round pick has a screw loose.

Or has an eye on recruiting his dad. Heart attack or no, that could potentially be a significant trade asset for a team that wants to pull an aging HOFer to finish his career there. Not here, but other teams might risk trade capital for a LeBJ sunset tour.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,566

Post#134 » by closg00 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:10 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
tontoz wrote:

I have woken-up to this realization, Gaff is only 25, he could have been part of a new young core.
Edit: We will still need a Center with some weight and muscle eventually too
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,590

Post#135 » by nate33 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

closg00 wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
tontoz wrote:

I have woken-up to this realization, Gaff is only 25, he could have been part of a new young core

It wasn't going to work out. Basically, he is only a bargain for the next 2 years until his contract expires, at which point he becomes a neutral value guy paid a market price. We aren't in position to reap the value of his next 2 years because we're going to suck anyhow, so we may as well turn that value into a pick, whose value we will benefit from for much longer.

A better way to think of it is: would we be interesting in signing Gafford as a free agent in 2026 at a market value (say, $18M a year)?

I think the answer to the question is no. I consider it unlikely that Gafford will develop further and become a true game-changing starting center as good as, say, Jarrett Allen, so I would rather look elsewhere for a true starter rather than pay Gafford to be a sub-par one. And if we already had a center on the roster good enough to render Gafford a backup, then I wouldn't want to pay $18M for a backup.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,967

Post#136 » by TGW » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:58 pm

They didn't need Gaff and Bags. Gafford has his uses, but he's unplayable in the playoffs, and can't guard anyone with a semblance of a post game. The mavs fans will be crying when Gaff has to guard Jovic and Davis in the playoffs.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,960

Post#137 » by Frichuela » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:03 pm

TGW wrote:They didn't need Gaff and Bags. Gafford has his uses, but he's unplayable in the playoffs, and can't guard anyone with a semblance of a post game. The mavs fans will be crying when Gaff has to guard Jovic and Davis in the playoffs.

1000%. Gaff will be exposed, no doubt.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#138 » by doclinkin » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:08 pm

closg00 wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
tontoz wrote:

I have woken-up to this realization, Gaff is only 25, he could have been part of a new young core.
Edit: We will still need a Center with some weight and muscle eventually too

We weren't winning with Gafford as our starting center. Even with Zinger and Beal next to him. He is a high energy high effort limited player. He will improve the Mavs, but I don't see them winning a chip due to his addition.

I am okay with the Front Office betting on themselves to pick up a player who not only fits the timeline, but may have upside that exceeds Gafford's top end. Better effect on wins/losses.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,967

Post#139 » by TGW » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:16 am

Kawhi has a hip abductor strain and it looks like he'll miss a few weeks.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,590

Post#140 » by nate33 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:34 pm

TGW wrote:Kawhi has a hip abductor strain and it looks like he'll miss a few weeks.

Interesting. The Clippers pick owed to us would be the 27th pick in the draft.

The Clippers are clumped alongside OKC, MIN, DEN, CLE and MIL in the standings, fighting for the 2nd best record in the league behind Boston who is comfortably in front. The pick they owe us could be anywhere between #24 and #29. So with Kawhi out, it's a strong possibility that they fall to the bottom of that group and the pick the owe us will be the #24 pick.

There's a pretty big gap after that though. The next group of teams are NYK, PHI, NOP, PHO and DAL, all about 3-4 games behind the Clippers. I don't think they'll fall that far. Maybe one or two of those teams go on a run, and catch the Clippers, but not the whole pack. So I'd say the best we will do is #23. That still beats #27 though!

Return to Washington Wizards