ImageImageImageImageImage

Discussing Other Teams' Moves (Part III)

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,836

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves (Part III) 

Post#1241 » by Rafael122 » Tue May 5, 2009 12:19 am

They have like 7 point guards. Why do they want to trade for another?
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#1242 » by MJG » Tue May 5, 2009 12:58 am

Rafael122 wrote:They have like 7 point guards. Why do they want to trade for another?

Unless I'm forgetting someone, they only have three: Blake, Rodriguez, and Bayless. None of which are above average. I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't want to upgrade that position.
dnk
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#1243 » by dnk » Tue May 5, 2009 1:29 am

Someone recently pointed out that if they got Rubio and he panned out, they'd be unstoppable for the next decade. Hyperbole obviously, but that's a team that's hard to imagine beating.

Rubio
Roy
______ (any vet will sign here for peanuts)
Aldrige
Oden

With depth and potential off the bench.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,573

Post#1244 » by closg00 » Tue May 5, 2009 1:49 am

dnk wrote:Someone recently pointed out that if they got Rubio and he panned out, they'd be unstoppable for the next decade. Hyperbole obviously, but that's a team that's hard to imagine beating.

Rubio
Roy
______ (any vet will sign here for peanuts)
Aldrige
Oden

With depth and potential off the bench.

...and the Blazers would obviously love to Rudy and Rubio together since they played together on the Olympic and World team. Blake is partially guaranteed next year and Sergio (not happy) is on the team option. Blazers would have to offer-up Bayless though.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#1245 » by miller31time » Wed May 6, 2009 3:14 am

Yeah, Cavs fans aren't nearly as sure LeBron is staying in Cleveland as they like to let on.

From the #1 Cavs site on the net
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,208

Post#1246 » by Dat2U » Wed May 6, 2009 4:10 am

MJG wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:They have like 7 point guards. Why do they want to trade for another?

Unless I'm forgetting someone, they only have three: Blake, Rodriguez, and Bayless. None of which are above average. I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't want to upgrade that position.

I don't understand why Bayless didn't see more time this season. He's exactly what Portland needs, a slasher that can create off the dribble and get into the lane. I think in time Bayless & Roy would work well together as they are both combo guards with interchangeable skills that would complement each other well.

I know Bayless' numbers weren't great this season but he's a Monta Ellis type talent. Portland may need an eventual replacement for Blake but honestly I think their answer at G beside Roy is sitting on their bench.

That said, I do see them making a play for Rubio. Probably with Outlaw, Batum or Bayless and picks as the bait.
closg00
RealGM

Post#1247 » by closg00 » Sat May 9, 2009 6:11 pm

I guess it's just a matter of time before EJ is back coaching for SAC, how weird is that?
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 785

Post#1248 » by LyricalRico » Sat May 9, 2009 7:31 pm

closg00 wrote:I guess it's just a matter of time before EJ is back coaching for SAC, how weird is that?

No wonder rumor is they'll take Rubio over Griffin if they get the #1 pick. Why waste the top pick on a stud big man if the coach you're looking at hiring is going to bench him so he can play Nocioni at PF?
closg00
RealGM

Post#1249 » by closg00 » Sat May 9, 2009 8:02 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
closg00 wrote:I guess it's just a matter of time before EJ is back coaching for SAC, how weird is that?

No wonder rumor is they'll take Rubio over Griffin if they get the #1 pick. Why waste the top pick on a stud big man if the coach you're looking at hiring is going to bench him so he can play Nocioni at PF?

:lol: Ah-yes, the memories :lol:
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1250 » by LyricalRico » Mon May 11, 2009 9:04 pm

More uninformed NY media babble, this time about the Knicks possibly trading for TMac to (get this) help attract LeBron in 2010? WTF?

:crazy:
closg00
RealGM

Post#1251 » by closg00 » Wed May 13, 2009 10:07 pm

Devin Harris came-in a close 2nd to Danny Granger for MIP, I believe they were separated by about 40 votes out of 300+ each.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1252 » by LyricalRico » Sun May 17, 2009 9:54 pm

Coming off a season when he was demoted from the Nets' starting lineup to the bench because of his lack of production, Yi Jianlian might have played his final game in New Jersey.

Team sources say the Nets are interested in trying to deal the 7-foot small forward they acquired from Milwaukee last summer for Richard Jefferson. "They're talking about moving him,'' said a source.

Yi's struggles to improve his defense, rebounding and passing under Lawrence Frank didn't sit well with GM Kiki Vandeweghe, who engineered the deal with the Bucks. Yi averaged 8.6 points and 5.3 rebounds in 23 minutes per game, but was often privately criticized for looking only to shoot.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baske ... ve_yi.html

Wow, interesting to see NJ giving up on Yi so soon. Any thoughts on who would be interested? Will China have a say in where he goes? I could see Don Nelson being interested, and they've got a large Asian population.

Nets trade: Simmons, Yi, and Williams
Warriros trade: Crawford, Belinelli, and #7

It clears up some of GS's backcourt issues and gives Nelson a skilled 7-footer to play with, while NJ gets value pretty good value.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,836

Post#1253 » by Rafael122 » Mon May 18, 2009 12:05 am

How about Houston? Could you imagine the money they will print with Yao and Yi on the same team? Maybe even make it a blockbuster by moving McGrady as well.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1254 » by LyricalRico » Mon May 18, 2009 1:24 am

Rafael122 wrote:How about Houston? Could you imagine the money they will print with Yao and Yi on the same team? Maybe even make it a blockbuster by moving McGrady as well.

Very interesting. Something like this perhaps...

Nets trade: Simmons, Dooling, Najera, and Yi
Rockets trade: McGrady and Lowry
TRADE ID 2075622

The problem is TMac's health. If he was at least close to being healthy, I think it would be worth considering. But coming off microfracture surgery, he might not even play next year. Maybe if Houston had a first to sweeten the pot but they owe their pick to the Kings. I just don't think it's enough.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1255 » by LyricalRico » Thu May 21, 2009 3:02 pm

After seeing the Cleveland bench be a complete no-show last night (and at home no less) I think we can expect another shakeup by Danny Ferry in the offseason. Even if they do get to the Finals or even win it all, it's clear that they need to continue to shuffle the deck to get more firepower. A package of Ben+Pavlovic+Gibson should fetch a decent return.

The question is do they go for an upgrade at starting PF (Kirilenko, Randolph, etc) or do they look for 6th man types (Maggette, Diaw, etc)? Either way, I expect Ferry to continue to make moves.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,191

Post#1256 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu May 21, 2009 3:27 pm

LyricalRico wrote:After seeing the Cleveland bench be a complete no-show last night (and at home no less) I think we can expect another shakeup by Danny Ferry in the offseason. Even if they do get to the Finals or even win it all, it's clear that they need to continue to shuffle the deck to get more firepower. A package of Ben+Pavlovic+Gibson should fetch a decent return.

The question is do they go for an upgrade at starting PF (Kirilenko, Randolph, etc) or do they look for 6th man types (Maggette, Diaw, etc)? Either way, I expect Ferry to continue to make moves.

In the short run I think Cleveland adjusts to try to beat Orlando, LR. To me it's their one and only playoff loss. If Cleveland advances to the Finals or wins it all, they do like Boston and bring the same guys back.

Can they win the series with ORL? I dunno. Sideshow Bob Varajeo and the Rapper (Joe Smith) might be able to contribute more this series. Problem is they don't match up on the perimeter well at all with Lewis or Turkoglu. The Cavs have to face facts that Big Z is aging and Ben Wallace might not have a pulse at all any more. Ben's got to do something for them or they might as well bring Hickson off the bench IMO. I believe they'll try to make Big Z a perimeter threat to take Howard away from the basket. We'll see. Other adjustments: More shots for Wally and Pavlovic. Let them attack Lewis/Turkoglu. I still don't count Cleveland out, LR. (But I do like ORL in 6 right now).

Offseason upgrades for the Cavs would be to get rid of Ben Wallace's contract by any means necessary, and to bring in a young C who can score. BJ Mullens?

Rico, to me Zach Randolph makes a lot of sense for the Cavs. Millsap even more.

Another thought is Eddy (Limo Driver Loving) Curry for Big Ben's Fro ...
Bye bye Beal.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1257 » by LyricalRico » Thu May 21, 2009 3:47 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Rico, to me Zach Randolph makes a lot of sense for the Cavs. Millsap even more.

I honestly don't see Utah doing a sign-and-trade of Milsap for what CLE would be offering. (they can do better). But can absolutely see Zach Randolph being available for Ben's expiring plus minimal sweetener.
Knicksick
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#1258 » by Knicksick » Thu May 21, 2009 5:01 pm

I don't think there is more then a 1% chance Cleveland would seriously look into getting Zach---if they let all the contracts expire they can get an Amar'e or Bosh via Free agency in 2010.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1259 » by LyricalRico » Thu May 21, 2009 5:53 pm

Knicksick wrote:I don't think there is more then a 1% chance Cleveland would seriously look into getting Zach---if they let all the contracts expire they can get an Amar'e or Bosh via Free agency in 2010.

That won't do them any good if LeBron leaves. Actually, if LeBron leaves, it guarantees that you won't get either of those guys. IMO the only way to convince LeBron to stay is if he's already one a title and has a chance to create a dynasty. If they don't get the first one before 2010, I fully expect him to leave and I'm basing my sceanrios on that assumption.

Something like 80% of the teams who lose Game 1 of a playoff series end up losing the whole series, so it's more than reasonable to project that Cleveland doesn't make it to the Finals. Next year, the East will be even better:

Chicago - a year older and has pieces to trade for help up front
Boston - KG will be healthy again
Washington - Arenas will be healthy and they have a top 5 pick to play with
Detroit - has $20M in cap space and could land Boozer
Atlanta - gained experience this year and could get Childress back
Charlotte - improved their team at the deadline and will now have that squad for a full year
Milwaukee - gets both Redd and Bogut back from injury

Even if all of those teams aren't necessarily contenders, I think it's obvious that it's going to be MUCH harder next year for Cleveland, both in the regular season and in the playoffs. With an aging frontline and near zero bench production, they will HAVE to make some kind of move if they want to win a title next year (their last chance before LeBron bolts). If you've got a better option than an expiring for Zach, I'm listening.
Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant
And1: 222

Post#1260 » by Severn Hoos » Thu May 21, 2009 6:32 pm

Is it petty of me to chuckle just a bit at the thought of Tom Thibodeau potentially swooping in and taking a job that Eddie Jordan was considering?

Kings Open Up Coaching Search To Include Thibodeau
"A society that puts equality - in the sense of equality of outcome - ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom. The use of force to achieve equality will destroy freedom" Milton Friedman, Free to Choose

Return to Washington Wizards