ImageImageImageImageImage

LeTravel and the Crab dribble Thread - Wadette Girliman

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,367

Re: LeTravel and the Crab dribble Thread - Wadette Girliman 

Post#1441 » by verbal8 » Fri Jul 9, 2010 3:41 pm

nate33 wrote:I don't fault Lebron for leaving Cleveland. I fault him for the way he handled this whole free agency tour and with the pathetic cop out of landing on a team with other superstars to take the pressure off him. Lebron is afraid of failure because his ego can't take it.

If he had quietly elected to go to New York, New Jersey or Chicago, I wouldn't not have begrudged him for it.

I think one thing that made LeBron look really bad was the classy way that Durant handled his contract extension. Also Kobe relatively quietly agreed to an extension.

I think LeBron would have been better off if he had just been part of the joint Wade/Bosh press conference. Sure Cavs fans would have been outraged, but they would have not felt as disrespected.
sashae
Bench Warmer
And1: 94

Post#1442 » by sashae » Fri Jul 9, 2010 3:49 pm

ernie grunfeld: the perpetual dumpster fire of general management
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#1443 » by miller31time » Fri Jul 9, 2010 3:58 pm

^^^^

:lol:
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,191

Post#1444 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jul 9, 2010 4:12 pm

doclinkin wrote:
Hoopalotta wrote:I'm generally pretty optimistic, but I don't see how anyone can see this as being anything other than a total disaster.

Sure, something could go wrong for them, but we're hoping for cheap outs based on peripheral issues. Those guys are just going to crush on the court for five years or so unless someone blows their ACL. As a general rule, when you're considering injuries as a possible trump card, its not a good sign. Sorry, but this is horrible news.

As to "really" rebuilding, yes, I'm leaning towards bottoming out completely now as we can't kid ourselves about the long term impact here. Almost any other result would have been acceptable, but this is just too much. 2 top five players and a top 3 PF on one team? Wade is simply a sick closer as well, being just about the best in the world.

Waah waah waah. Jeez, no pamper wetting, steel yourself a little bit. Are you a Bullets fan or a frontrunning LA fan. Why act like you never met adversity before. That's what we do. We're the underdog. So? What else is new.

As of right now Miami will have to play their starters for 45 minutes every game. You're scared of Mike Miller? He's their entire bench right now (won't start of course, behind Bron or Wade) and it's not like he's proven to be durable. Ditto Wade, in some measure. Not banking on injuries but any team that has to grind out their starters for long minutes 82 games plus the post season (plus Olympics duties) will tend to see their players wear down. We've seen it here, and our guys only played at one end of the floor (...) Who's their starting center right now? Udonis Haslem?

Stylistically, while all three are great, and Wade the unquestioned leader since he's the only cat who actually steps up his game at the clutchest of clutch moments, still I'm not sure I see the terrifying synergy between them all. LeBJ and Wade both do best dribbling the ball and controlling the action. Each is excellent, neither will suppress the others' game, but it's not like they are additive properties: they will be splitting points and assists, in part. You can't simply take their current stats and tote them up.

And Bosh's role is much reduced, he's a jumpshooting forward with a face-up game, but on a DWade team I'm not certain he's all that much of an upgrade over Udonis Haslem. It's not like he's a powerful finisher underneath. He's a stretch forward who doesn't really take the outside shot, a decent but non-dominant rebounder. There's a little bit of a spacing problem in as much as their perimeter SF and SG are their best interior finishers. Granted, any team with DWade tends not to have too many spacing problems since he finds the seam wherever it is, but the point is while all three have talent and a team game, I don't see the instant synergy that equates to dominance.

And quite frankly I don't know why a wiz fan would allow themselves the luxury of panic. Somewhat absurd. 'OMG! How will we defeat Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol!??? They will be totes dominant for years to come 11!!' Steady there partner, who told you we were in contention for anything? We've had two straight seasons begging for losses to collect better lotto tix. And we're talking playoffs? Playoffs!? Kidding me? Playoffs? Playoffs?

Consider this though, as big of an assbag as MeBRon has made himself, I think we may see teams angling for a CBA that screws over a topheavy team like MeAmi. We're young, undercapped, exciting, fast, athletic, with untapped potential. Who gives a rip whether another team may have improved, the question is if OUR squad has a chance to improve or if we're headed in the opposite direction. Personally I'm good with sticking with the plan: reload, stockpile talent, stay young scrappy and hungry while we build a deep cheap and developing team that grows together and complements each other.

I could make the case that theoretically we could even match and surpass MEami --is Bosh that much better than Dray? Might John Wall's upside approach the talent of a DWade, if not his accomplishments? As much of a punk as LeBron is, can't we simply load up on interior thugs and keep him on the outside looking for teammates to blame for his (admittedly few) shortcomings? -- but I won't bother going into it. Suffice to say, we're Wiz/Bullets fans, we can't afford the luxury of terror that another team in the league may become pretty decent. So what? So they're good. Maybe. Makes it that much more satisfying when, eventually, we beat them.

F_ Miami. It would have been worse to spread our nemeses to multiple teams, I'd be more scared of a Chicago Wade squad than this experiment in bloviation and auto-fellatio. Miami? Really? Makes it clear to me MeBron is more about hiding behind a group of his pals than in winning in particular. At least in Miami no one can blame him alone for his inevitable shortfalls. Just injuries, or beach parties, or referees, etc. Fine with me if we consolidate all our villains on one Legion of Doom. Makes it easier to keep track of them 4 games a year instead of 8. Plus the playoffs.

Playoffs!

How I think the Heat will fare is that I think they can't help but be very good. But I give teams with interior scorers and speed on the perimeter a decent shot to beat them. I also think teams with thugs can beat them IF the refs don't pander to the Three MyEgos.

What I think's going to happen is those three are friends now but they'll be emotionally fragile if they lose two or three in a row. I think they'll soon find out how much of a jerk Lebron really is. He's an attenion-seeking narcissist who's had minions at his behest for quite some time. Just the opposite of Bosh, but Chris Bosh is trying to be noticed (per Bill Simmons and I think by the poll Bosh put on his website). I think Wade's made the sacrifice inviting those guys into His City, but he'll have nights where the ball's not in his hands when he thinks it should be. In short, I think egos will get in the way with that group.

My prediction is the NBA is a stars league and if the games are reffed the same as they have been in the past, the Heat will win games on the FT line and championships are pretty much inevitable with those guys. You can't double Lebron, Wade, and Bosh; so they'll take their man and either get fouled or score once they gel together. But IF the refs let teams play, I think a team with real speed and some big guys inside that aren't afraid to punish the Heat have a shot.

It all depends on how the games are officiated.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 785

Post#1445 » by LyricalRico » Fri Jul 9, 2010 4:20 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:It all depends on how the games are officiated.

Wow, I hadn't thought about that. Every 4th quarter is going to be heavily scrutinized with that team, and it's going to be magnified in the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised if Stern ordered the refs to overcompensate and these dudes didn't get any calls for a while. That wouldn't last long, though.
BanndNDC
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#1446 » by BanndNDC » Fri Jul 9, 2010 4:25 pm

It will be interesting to see how the refs call it. This might be the year ledouche actually fouls out of a game.

- we know refs like to "even out" calls.
- we know refs like to give the foul to the scrub instead of the star on the same team
- no depth and heavy minutes means there will be less scrubs to give those "evening out" calls to

i predict either Bosh will foul out very often (and get very annoyed that he's the only one of the wonder twins and gleep to get calls against him) or they just won't call fouls against miami (which would cause a huge backlash). interestingly enough this whole situation may force the NBA to tone down the superstar bs (which will cause ledouche to be even more of a douche during games).
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#1447 » by BigA » Fri Jul 9, 2010 4:55 pm

Yeah, I expect the Heat's new image and marketing to somewhat resemble this:

Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,836

Post#1448 » by Rafael122 » Fri Jul 9, 2010 4:57 pm

Anyone else noticed how uncomfortable Lebron was during the entire interview? Could barely speak, stumbled over his words.
BanndNDC
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#1449 » by BanndNDC » Fri Jul 9, 2010 8:07 pm

Disappointed that we've run the gamut of lebron make fun already.

Wondering how this move ranks in the history of douchey modern american sports moments.
Other contenders: the draft troika of elway, lindros and francis. the toronto twosome of carter and mourning. the midnight moves of the colts, browns and sonics. the personal pouting of haynesworth and owens. could this moment really have been as historical as it was hyped to be? Is this the most douchebaggish move in modern history? did we truly witness something historical last night?
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#1450 » by pineappleheadindc » Fri Jul 9, 2010 8:17 pm

Will this thread make it to 100 pages? Or now that news is out and we've all whacked at Lebron, will it wimper into a lonely and flaccid death?

I'm glad this episode is over. Reading other teams' boards has been brutal the last few weeks. And I like to read other teams' boards to see what's happening.

But honestly, the advance gloating by board members (not from Miami) who were so damn sure that Lebron was coming their way...well, I think it is part karma that they didn't get their way. The supposed sightings of Lebron walking into some sububan shopping mall, coming out of a local club with Paris Hilton, whatever. Maddening.

I'm in a minority, but I'm glad Miami has a "super team". I think leagues function well when there's a villan, a bad-guy to cheer against. Now, every win versus Miami will only be the sweeter. They're in our division, and every time we play them, the Wizards squad are gonna (hopefully) step up and take their best shot. Hell, I wish we played them 8 times a year like the old days.

Competition will make our squad better. Miami is now sorta like the Yankees of the NBA. We have a mark to aspire to. Let's get er done.
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
jimij
Analyst
And1: 18

Post#1451 » by jimij » Fri Jul 9, 2010 8:30 pm

Will this thread make it to a hundred pages? I think the real question is how many times in the next couple of years will it make it to a 100 pages.

Given that LeDouche aka "the Sidekick" is in our division, I see no reason for our hatred of all things LeBron to lesson one iota.
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#1452 » by BigA » Fri Jul 9, 2010 8:50 pm

Hate for LeBron will never go out of style. Hate gives us strength.
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#1453 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Fri Jul 9, 2010 8:53 pm

So Wade and Bosh team up (wonder twins) and they bring along their little pet monkey
P'Oed
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#1454 » by P'Oed » Fri Jul 9, 2010 9:07 pm

The Free Agent Stooges

THREE SIGNED MICE, THREE SIGNED MICE
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,716

Post#1455 » by montestewart » Fri Jul 9, 2010 9:20 pm

BanndNDC wrote:Disappointed that we've run the gamut of lebron make fun already.

Wondering how this move ranks in the history of douchey modern american sports moments.
Other contenders: the draft troika of elway, lindros and francis. the toronto twosome of carter and mourning. the midnight moves of the colts, browns and sonics. the personal pouting of haynesworth and owens. could this moment really have been as historical as it was hyped to be? Is this the most douchebaggish move in modern history? did we truly witness something historical last night?

Sit down.relax.breath deeply.regroup

come out fighting

This is my favorite non-Wizards thread. I don't see it going anywhere. I wonder how many metroparks Miami has?
Bickerstaff
Senior
And1: 3

Post#1456 » by Bickerstaff » Fri Jul 9, 2010 11:03 pm

pineappleheadindc wrote:Competition will make our squad better. Miami is now sorta like the Yankees of the NBA. We have a mark to aspire to. Let's get er done.

As an Orioles fan, I am not left feeling inspired. I also feel like what Miami has done is unprecedented. There's every chance that they'll choke or lose players for a couple crucial playoff games and not win 5 championships in a row, but I don't get the experts who are still ranking them behind Orlando. I think people are badly underestimating the sort of roster Miami's going to have by the time the playoffs start. A lot of guys who've already gotten are going to want to play for this team, and that included every player who gets waived this season.

Anyway, as much as I dislike LeBron, and as much as I really dislike the potential the Heat have to dominate the league into a state of meaninglessness, at least the Cavs and the Knicks got f'ed.

My bold prediction: get ready for several years of Miami culture being shoved down our throats, and get for hype, 'cause it ain't going away any time soon. As much of a backlash as LeBron is suffering right now throughout the country, there are so many more casual fans who will now start following the Heat. Seriously, they're going to be huge and they're going to be successful. If there's any consolation, it's that John Wall's nearly 9 years younger than Wade. He'll only be 24 when their contracts expire. And I'm certainly not expecting LeBron to show Miami any loyalty.
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#1457 » by Hoopalotta » Fri Jul 9, 2010 11:06 pm

doclinkin wrote:
Hoopalotta wrote:I'm generally pretty optimistic, but I don't see how anyone can see this as being anything other than a total disaster.

Sure, something could go wrong for them, but we're hoping for cheap outs based on peripheral issues. Those guys are just going to crush on the court for five years or so unless someone blows their ACL. As a general rule, when you're considering injuries as a possible trump card, its not a good sign. Sorry, but this is horrible news.

As to "really" rebuilding, yes, I'm leaning towards bottoming out completely now as we can't kid ourselves about the long term impact here. Almost any other result would have been acceptable, but this is just too much. 2 top five players and a top 3 PF on one team? Wade is simply a sick closer as well, being just about the best in the world.

Waah waah waah. Jeez, no pamper wetting, steel yourself a little bit. Are you a Bullets fan or a frontrunning LA fan. Why act like you never met adversity before. That's what we do. We're the underdog. So? What else is new.

....*assorted points snipped for convenience sake*.....

F_ Miami. It would have been worse to spread our nemeses to multiple teams, I'd be more scared of a Chicago Wade squad than this experiment in bloviation and auto-fellatio. Miami? Really? Makes it clear to me MeBron is more about hiding behind a group of his pals than in winning in particular. At least in Miami no one can blame him alone for his inevitable shortfalls. Just injuries, or beach parties, or referees, etc. Fine with me if we consolidate all our villains on one Legion of Doom. Makes it easier to keep track of them 4 games a year instead of 8. Plus the playoffs.

Playoffs!

I don't want to drag everyone down and I don't particularly like my argument either, but the board here collectively reads like the everyman reaction to the start of a war with a “Don't worry lads, we'll be marching into Berlin and home by Christmas!” vibe. Let's not kid ourselves here, a spade's a spade, this ain't OK. This is not the result we should have been hoping for and every team in the East is going to adjust their strategy based on this. “I'm taking my talents to South Beach” deserves a mourning period with shawls and all. Straws too.

Every Eastern executive is reacting to this privately.

Top teams are like “I forget, what did the Bobcat's say about Captain Jack last time we called?”
Middle teams are like “more mustard on the hot dogs and less clothing on the cheerleaders!”
Bottom teams are like “so the third worst record is how many ping pong balls?”

Was Popovich saying “Oh, it's cool, Gasol to the Lakers, whatever”? What other teams do does matter and this is about equivalent to the Lakers collectively aging backwards five years and then suddenly moving to the south east division. It's simply delusional to act as if nothing substantial has happened and that this is not going to affect the Wizards decision making. We're not supposed to take notice and be alarmed? For the worst hit, look at the Magic board:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1031362&start=0

Now, we're hardly a title contender, so the good news that occurs to me is that Wade turns 29 next year, but I just can't see this as being anything other than a volcanic reordering that leads to a “Da' Bullsian” type run, at least as far as the Eastern Conference is concerned. I had liked our position better than most anyone else in the East longterm (not many up and comers), but now I don't particularly like the position of anyone in the East. Admittedly we are less hard hit than most teams in that we've got a lot of really young guys, but I'm not ashamed to admit that the window on the HEAT is scary. It is. I don't see the point in masking that with sky pies or rosy monocles, which you've basically already conceded.

Anyway, it hardly matters as I'm not worried about what they do next year, but I'm really on the polar opposite of the idea that the Superfriends need to play anything like 45 minutes a night. What? The talent is so dominant that they can likely coast to sixty wins and peak late, year after year. Miller's probably the 6th man, so bring in Derrick Fisher, the Collins twins, Raja Bell and some Condotierri buyouts at the deadline and they're locked and loaded for a run, even this year. Center will be a problem for now, but I doubt it's going to stand as such long term unless the CBA clacks the gavel. But if U-Haslem can be Riley-otized into signing a one year deal, it's like they've got two MLE type guys in the first offseason, which is just a disgusting thought, though at least they're older. And I can't doubt Riley's powers of persuasion after he came in early with the cake.....

If anyone has serious doubts about the ability of that team to mesh, I can see how you'd be optimistic, but I just don't share that view – I think those guys will be ridiculous with Bron as the primary playmaker, Wade as the clutch scorer and Bosh picking his spots. As far as sacrificing numbers in the regular season, that's fine, but not particularly compelling in detracting from the Dynasty angle. A redundancy in elite shot creators is hardly a problem and I'm sure that Bron - douchey as he is - is fully committed to the facilitator role. These guys specifically chose to play together after a gold medal trial run, so I have a hard time seeing the chemistry cake crumbling. So, Injuries and the next CBA are the best means of disrupting five years of absolute dominance in the Eastern Theater of Operations.

Previously, I was seeing certain moves like “if we add Thaddeus Young and...” or “with LeBron in New York, Varejao might be available and then...” but now all of that sounds like “and with Ehlo at shooting guard...”. That's scrapped as far as I'm concerned. Anyone talking about acquiring Marvin Williams today - and yes, it was brought up elsewhere - is just fundamentally out of touch with the implications of this. Marvin Williams? Because Charles Smith isn't unavailable?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRFKhpMKX0E[/youtube]

From here, I would just back off any sort of moves that would peak in the next few years and go all in on a tank job that has us poking our honker out of the gopher hole after the brunt of the blitzkrieg has reaped the worst of it's sour carnage. Give me cap space and lottery picks for the next two years and we'll see if Dwight wants to jump ship. I can back the idea that we could test out mettle against those top teams, but it would seem to be prudent to have that take place closer to the point when the Zardians are in position to make a legitimate run (ie. When Wade is 32).

Sure, I'll sound more cheery later, but the idea that this should be universally met with a marching beat as we hum “Onward Christian Soldiers” seems a naive musing of the denial stage. I can't take anyone too seriously if they don't at least acknowledge this as being a gut punch, so you'll have to pardon me if I ain't lickin' a turd just because folks want to pretend that it's in an ice cream cone.
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#1458 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Fri Jul 9, 2010 11:17 pm

Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,364

Post#1459 » by Kanyewest » Fri Jul 9, 2010 11:23 pm

Maybe Dwayne Wade sees a decline in his numbers playing alongside James like Larry Hughes did with LeBron. Obviously not as dramatic, but maybe enough that the Heat don't win a title in the first year or two.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 785

Post#1460 » by LyricalRico » Fri Jul 9, 2010 11:40 pm

Kanyewest wrote:Maybe Dwayne Wade sees a decline in his numbers playing alongside James like Larry Hughes did with LeBron. Obviously not as dramatic, but maybe enough that the Heat don't win a title in the first year or two.

The sad part is that there's really no need for Wade to sacrifice his game. LeBron has a great chance to be the first guy in decades to average a triple double. Right now he's the team's de facto PG and they will clearly need him to rebound. If he allows Wade to carry the load and sets Bosh up for easy baskets, LeBron could easily average something like 20/10/10 instead of the 30/7/7 that he averages now and really make this thing work.

Of course that would mean that he'd go from being a candidate for "greatest player of all time" to being in the running for "greatest all-around sidekick of all time" (which he's probably win if they ended up with multiple rings). In the minds of a lot of people he's already lost his "King James" image, so what does it matter if he lets Wade score the points? If he's smart he'll realize that and that could in turn open him up to what might have been the best role for him all along.

However, nothing I have ever seen/heard from LeBron would indicate even the possibility of that happening.

Return to Washington Wizards