ImageImageImageImageImage

Political Roundtable Part XXXII

Moderators: montestewart, LyricalRico, nate33

2Fluffy4U
Sophomore
And1: 97

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXXII 

Post#1701 » by 2Fluffy4U » Tue May 14, 2024 12:10 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:We live in a world where some people believe in nationalism because some people are very easy to convince that all of their problems are caused by scary “other” people from over that way that don’t belong to the group they identify with. I would think a Jewish person would be well acquainted with that history, but maybe they don’t teach that in your mandatory civil class in middle school.

Still not being able to tell me what is the difference between Germany and France.. is that difficult?

Still not being able to tell me why countries hold immigration rules..

Nationalism is not a 'belief'. It is a social constract.
Its just like a neighbourhood, city, district and so forth..

Are you proud to be living in DC? Do you prefer DC over LA? Does that make you a racist???? :banghead:

Edit: I did some online reading. I realise now that nationalism and patriotism are considered colonialistic constracts and are frawned upon in some US views.. I didn't know that. No need to continue debating.. my apologies. Going back to reading some draft debates :)
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,789

Post#1702 » by Fairview4Life » Tue May 14, 2024 12:39 pm

Nationalism doesn’t just mean “I like living in this country”, especially in this context. It involves being much more aggressive with everyone else you don’t see as part of your in group. Punishing people who aren’t in your group in some misguided belief in zero sum games. Something we see a ton of throughout human history and it’s…not great. You must have skipped class that day. We are currently seeing it in this thread with your disregard for Palestinians, who you seem to believe are just slightly less human, because they aren’t part of the in group you identify with. “It’s not a belief, it’s a social contract”…I have bad news about what a social contract is.

“Immigrations laws” mean a whole lot of different things. There are lots of reasons for immigration laws, including very mundane **** like knowing who’s actually in your country and should be taxed to support the common good or things like prioritizing certain sectors of employment over others if you’re trying to boost numbers in a particular industry or whatever. Most countries think there are benefits to living in them and that those rewards shouldn’t just be handed out to everyone who asks, but still try to balance that against the fact they actually want new people to move in.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
2Fluffy4U
Sophomore

Post#1703 » by 2Fluffy4U » Tue May 14, 2024 12:43 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:Nationalism doesn’t just mean “I like living in this country”, especially in this context. It involves being much more aggressive with everyone else you don’t see as part of your in group. Punishing people who aren’t in your group in some misguided belief in zero sum games. Something we see a ton of throughout human history and it’s…not great. You must have skipped class that day. We are currently seeing it in this thread with your disregard for Palestinians, who you seem to believe are just slightly less human, because they aren’t part of the in group you identify with. “It’s not a belief, it’s a social contract”…I have bad news about what a social contract is.

“Immigrations laws” mean a whole lot of different things. There are lots of reasons for immigration laws, including very mundane **** like knowing who’s actually in your country and should be taxed to support the common good or things like prioritizing certain sectors of employment over others if you’re trying to boost numbers in a particular industry or whatever. Most countries think there are benefits to living in them and that those rewards shouldn’t just be handed out to everyone who asks, but still try to balance that against the fact they actually want new people to move in.

Yes... We will not be able to bridge our gaps when you are sure your understanding is superior than mine - and vice versa.

Good luck to us all...
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,789

Post#1704 » by Fairview4Life » Tue May 14, 2024 12:48 pm

2Fluffy4U wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:Nationalism doesn’t just mean “I like living in this country”, especially in this context. It involves being much more aggressive with everyone else you don’t see as part of your in group. Punishing people who aren’t in your group in some misguided belief in zero sum games. Something we see a ton of throughout human history and it’s…not great. You must have skipped class that day. We are currently seeing it in this thread with your disregard for Palestinians, who you seem to believe are just slightly less human, because they aren’t part of the in group you identify with. “It’s not a belief, it’s a social contract”…I have bad news about what a social contract is.

Yes... We will not be able to bridge our gaps when you are sure your understanding is superior than mine - and vice versa.

Good luck to us all...

I hope you do a bit more online reading and can start to question why Netanyahu has a well documented history of supporting Hamas and wanting them to be in power in Gaza.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,651

Post#1705 » by pancakes3 » Tue May 14, 2024 1:19 pm

2Fluffy4U wrote:Do you guys not have mandatory civil class in middle school?
The whole point of democracies is that the system inherently protects minority rights..

But to our discussion - none of you seems to realise the core issue you is that you cant just decide to have one state for two peoples..

It's not about racism and it's not about politics..
It's called nationalism - and if you don't understand what nationalism concept is then there really is no hope to be able to bridge many of the gaps..

democracies are fully susceptible to the oppression of minority rights by virtue of it being based on decision-making by the majority.

a majority can very easily refuse to recognize rights for minorities, deny them the right to vote and other rights. it doesn't even need to be a majority of the population, just a majority of voters, which is how you end up with democratic nations that have denied women the right to vote, and other inequalities.

and this is not a clear-cut example of a dispute between sovereign nations like Germany and France due to the geopolitical complexities of Israeli occupation of ostensibly Palestinian lands (West Bank, Golan Heights). The disconnect resulting from Israeli occupation of non Israeli territories forces the question as to who the sovereign parties are, what the boundaries are, who constitutes constituents of each sovereign party, etc.

It's easy for most people to be identified, but the problem lies in the marginalized peoples who live in the occupied areas who live in a place of limbo and caught in the literal crossfire. You want to advocate for a 2-state solution. Great. Are you proposing an uncontiguous palestinian state where gaza, west bank, and golan heights are separate, and cannot freely travel to get to other parts of their own country without trespassing across another sovereign nation's lands?
Bullets -> Wizards
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,220

Post#1706 » by Zonkerbl » Tue May 14, 2024 1:39 pm

2Fluffy4U wrote:
Zonkerbl wrote:I reject your racist premise. Blithely asserting that your statement is not racist does not make it so. Your argument that being racist is good and a great reason to justify... whatever it is you are arguing for is not persuasive. Move on.

My statements are not racist because I never said one word about race. Didnt mention DNA like others have or referred to biological relativeness.. Check my comment - I talk about nationalities and people. Not race (black,white, middle eastern, asian etc) but people and nations (USA, Israel, Americans, Palestinians, China, France, Germany)..

In fact - I think Israelis and Palestinians are preety much the same race if you want to go the DNA lineage path.. And I have nothing to say about it as it has no weight or meaning in my view. I see everyone as humans/people.

Here, I explained why this is not racist.
Please explain why we live in a world with nationalities.
Please explain why immigration laws and rules apply today (do you think they shouldn't?)

No. This argument is objectively racist. Admit you are wrong and apologize for being racist. You have not explained why you are not racist, you have doubled down on your racism, which, as I said before, I do not accept or find at all convincing/persuasive.

Can't believe I have to say this out loud, but saying "I'm not racist because I'm racist in different ways than other people are racist" while describing a very, very typical kind of racism does not make you "not a racist."
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
2Fluffy4U
Sophomore

Post#1707 » by 2Fluffy4U » Tue May 14, 2024 2:09 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:
2Fluffy4U wrote:
Zonkerbl wrote:I reject your racist premise. Blithely asserting that your statement is not racist does not make it so. Your argument that being racist is good and a great reason to justify... whatever it is you are arguing for is not persuasive. Move on.

My statements are not racist because I never said one word about race. Didnt mention DNA like others have or referred to biological relativeness.. Check my comment - I talk about nationalities and people. Not race (black,white, middle eastern, asian etc) but people and nations (USA, Israel, Americans, Palestinians, China, France, Germany)..

In fact - I think Israelis and Palestinians are preety much the same race if you want to go the DNA lineage path.. And I have nothing to say about it as it has no weight or meaning in my view. I see everyone as humans/people.

Here, I explained why this is not racist.
Please explain why we live in a world with nationalities.
Please explain why immigration laws and rules apply today (do you think they shouldn't?)

No. This argument is objectively racist. Admit you are wrong and apologize for being racist. You have not explained why you are not racist, you have doubled down on your racism, which, as I said before, I do not accept or find at all convincing/persuasive.

Can't believe I have to say this out loud, but saying "I'm not racist because I'm racist in different ways than other people are racist" while describing a very, very typical kind of racism does not make you "not a racist."

The defenition of racist is twisted on your end so this whole debate can not continue.

I realise now I am talking to the same people here who probably agree and think a 'women is someone who identifies as women' :banghead:

My apologies but I am out of this board.. Gap is too wide.. we will have to let history judge our views..
I wish you all the best.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1708 » by Zonkerbl » Tue May 14, 2024 4:45 pm

Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,462

Post#1709 » by doclinkin » Tue May 14, 2024 4:49 pm

2Fluffy4U wrote:
Edit: I did some online reading. I realise now that nationalism and patriotism are considered colonialistic constracts and are frawned upon in some US views.. I didn't know that.

I will say I respect this. I appreciate when someone attempts to understand the context of another person's views.

More so than I respect this:

2Fluffy4U wrote:My apologies but I am out of this board.. Gap is too wide.. we will have to let history judge our views..
I wish you all the best.

Yes, historically Nationalism has been used as an excuse to paper over racism and sanctify genocide. Any belief system that says one set of people have inherently more value than another group can lead to abuse when there is a significant power imbalance. This sort of belief system leads to Inquisitions and Final Solutions and mass hysteria and xenocidal impulses.

Democracy presupposes that we are all in this together and that a majority vote will tend to support the best benefit of the mass of the people. That does mean a plurality of minorities can be marginalized and suffer unduly, so there should be safeguards in law to prevent that from happening. Prejudice exists, but should be minimized not codified, or worse: celebrated.

Are we trying to have Civilization in this world or what?

Yes we have tribes, but the reason why the US has historically been strong is that we have found ways of integrating different cultures. I'm eating tacos right now, had Ethiopian food for dinner. My kid's DNA represents vikings, all kinds of pirates, caribbean natives, conquistadors, and kidnapped africans. The mixing of the tribes makes us all stronger. Take the suggestion of biology, heterozygous advantage ought to work for cultures as well. It does in music. Ought to in countries.

The problem is, people get scared. Small differences get magnified into boogeymen. Often when seen through the lens of religion, which commonly propagates itself via fear. My god is a jealous god, and all that. To intentionally minimize it with absurdity: Here one group of falafel eaters has decided to murder another group of falafel eaters because they believe in slightly different prophets. As they have been doing since before burning bushes and clay tablets. Since someone imprisoned folks and forced them to build pointy buildings on the edge of a desert. Because I don't know why, aliens told them to.

But folks are learning the wrong lessons from history. The wrong lessons from the Pharoahs. The wrong lessons from those Nationalists in 1930's Germany. "Never again" should apply to everyone. Humanity. So whatever solutions you can come up with should apply equally to minority and majority alike. Irrespective of borders drawn on a map and defended by tanks.

The chickens do come home to roost. We are in a closed system of karma. The third law of physics does apply in human history, what you put out comes back to you. We all have to live on this tiny precious little bubble of air and water. If you attempt to exterminate people because you are afraid they might do the same to you, you will make that prediction come true in the next generation or the one after that.

So be f@ckin better. Stop killing babies, or you will give people reason to kill you. That goes for everybody. And the only way to make that happen is to agree to disagree, but agree to enforce laws that prevent uncivilized destabilizing behavior. And stop excusing it when it is committed by *your* people, but condemning it in others.

What part of Thou Shalt not, are you having trouble understanding? Because if you listen to the mystics of any faith it all comes down to the same thing. Have mercy. Be full of compassion. Those who have dominion over the world must be its caretakers. If you are smart, help the stupid be wiser. Teach the children. Don't **** crush them so their gentle souls are buried and leaking under a building just because some old men with wrinkled sacks are afraid of the world and need to feel powerful by making decisions at a desk for other people to carry out. And live and die from.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1710 » by Zonkerbl » Tue May 14, 2024 7:05 pm

My parents very proudly informed me that I am a quarter Ukrainian, quarter Polish, quarter Scotch, and quarter German. Get out of here with this "it is impossible for different cultures to exist within one nation" crap, I have four different cultures in one body

Anyway the Eu is already a big meta nation where Germany and France's cultures coexist peacefully (after centuries of warring with each other) so what are you even talking about

Also just because my idiot government is busy picking fights with China doesn't mean I hate Chinese, Chinese are the majority in many neighborhoods throughout America and everybody loves it, they call the neighborhood Chinatown and it's a big popular hangout

any neighborhood with a high enough density of immigrants from the same country to have authentic representation of the home country's culture is always awesome and a fun place that we all love
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,876

Post#1711 » by Pointgod » Thu May 16, 2024 2:00 pm

2Fluffy4U wrote:Yeah.. Genocide..
War and Conflict - sure.
Genocide??? Cmon I expected better than this level of debate..

1. If Israel was to perfom genocide - there would not be anyone alive in Gaza..
2. The internationl court in Hag stated there is no Genocide.
3. Learn what Genocide is and realise you are a sheep being learned to cite a mantra.
4. There is also no apartheid in Israel - arabs in Israel are a part of the parliment, have political parties and have judges in supreme court. Citing once more false narratives you have been fed by people who just want to identify with hardship..

But than again - no one here answered the question - what is a viable solution to this conflict?

I will add another question - on you way home from work from your DC office - a siren is heard and you cant find any shelter - you just stop the car on the sideroad and hope a missle won't land near you.
As American in DC being attacked like that - what do you hope your goverment should do to resolve this unacceptable reality?

Early on I pushed back on the genocide narrative because it’s a bit of a cheap political tactic and also ignores the impact of urban warfare. However looking at the actions that Israel has taken like invading by Rafa and blocking aide (yes which will end up in the hands of Hamas but also people civilians need to survive. The longer this goes on, the worse it starts to look for Israel.

As for the bolded, there is no simple answer. People way smarter and more experienced than all of us combined have tried and failed. All I know is that the Israeli population needs to become less right wing and Netanyahu needs to be removed, equally Hamas has to be removed before the subject of any type of solution can even start to be discussed.
Bonscott
Freshman
And1: 6

Post#1712 » by Bonscott » Thu May 16, 2024 10:05 pm

Democrats don't believe in equal rights,they believe in black power and if someone else doesn't then they are labeled racist
All thanks to the Obama error
Thankfully there's only a few months left of it
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#1713 » by TGW » Fri May 17, 2024 1:50 am

Bonscott wrote:Democrats don't believe in equal rights,they believe in black power and if someone else doesn't then they are labeled racist

LOL whut? :lol:

Sheesh some of you white conservatives really feel like you're victims huh.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,887

Post#1714 » by Wizardspride » Fri May 17, 2024 3:37 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=bwudlwqA4iFNo32v37UJhg&s=19

Read on Twitter
?t=Hxbk40SW1hRGugqdrkKv9g&s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#1715 » by Pointgod » Sat May 18, 2024 4:05 am

Bonscott wrote:Democrats don't believe in equal rights,they believe in black power and if someone else doesn't then they are labeled racist

You are literally an insane person.
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#1716 » by Pointgod » Sat May 18, 2024 4:12 am

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?t=bwudlwqA4iFNo32v37UJhg&s=19

Read on Twitter
?t=Hxbk40SW1hRGugqdrkKv9g&s=19

Yet there will be no protests on college campuses against this abomination
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1717 » by Zonkerbl » Sat May 18, 2024 6:26 am

The reason people say "don't feed the troll" is because the reason they write stupid things is to get a reaction, so if you react to it you're just feeding their disgusting, perverted political exhibitionism. You don't want to know what's happening on the other side of that screen and you certainly don't want to encourage it.

[edit: this makes me realize MTG is a sex worker. Not that there's anything wrong with that!]

[edit edit: maybe instead of saying "don't feed the troll" we should say "remember, trolling is a kink, and responding implies consent]

[edit edit edit: or when responding to trolls you could start by saying "I consent to this kink"]
Bonscott
Freshman
And1: 6

Post#1718 » by Bonscott » Sat May 18, 2024 8:43 am

TGW wrote:

Democrats also hate the truth
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1719 » by Zonkerbl » Sat May 18, 2024 2:54 pm

Bonscott wrote:
TGW wrote:

Democrats also hate the truth

I consent to this kink
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#1720 » by Pointgod » Mon May 20, 2024 7:54 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:The reason people say "don't feed the troll" is because the reason they write stupid things is to get a reaction, so if you react to it you're just feeding their disgusting, perverted political exhibitionism. You don't want to know what's happening on the other side of that screen and you certainly don't want to encourage it.

[edit: this makes me realize MTG is a sex worker. Not that there's anything wrong with that!]

[edit edit: maybe instead of saying "don't feed the troll" we should say "remember, trolling is a kink, and responding implies consent]

[edit edit edit: or when responding to trolls you could start by saying "I consent to this kink"]

What if my kink is berating the trolls?

Return to Washington Wizards