ImageImageImageImageImage

The (way too early) 2024 Draft thread. Woo! Tanking!

Moderators: montestewart, LyricalRico, nate33

dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,168

Re: The (way too early) 2024 Draft thread. Woo! Tanking! 

Post#1921 » by dckingsfan » Sun May 12, 2024 8:02 pm

tontoz wrote:I bet the Spurs stay put and just take a pg and wing.

This. They are in the cat's seat with those two picks to get what they need.
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,132

Post#1922 » by J-Ves » Sun May 12, 2024 8:04 pm

NatP4 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:Almost certain that Atlanta takes Sarr.

Nikola Topic, you are a Washington Wizard.

Lots of folks have them taking Zaccharie Risacher...

How do you feel about 2nd for 7 & 14?

No way. I’m taking Topic at 2 with zero hesitation, and looking to move Kuzma for another pick in the 10-18 range.

I like this and this is my early prediction for what our FO does

No idea what the plan is for Poole
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,435

Post#1923 » by NatP4 » Sun May 12, 2024 8:05 pm

J-Ves wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:Lots of folks have them taking Zaccharie Risacher...

No way. I’m taking Topic at 2 with zero hesitation, and looking to move Kuzma for another pick in the 10-18 range.

I like this and this is my early prediction for what our FO does

I’m curious about the roster crunch as well. Would assume Topic starts like Bilal did last season, Poole plays that 6th man backup lead guard role. Butler gets buried a bit to start the year, but can also play either guard position/off ball.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,971

Post#1924 » by payitforward » Sun May 12, 2024 8:12 pm

mhd wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:Assuming Sarr goes #1 and given the way size has impacted the playoffs in the West, anyone think there will be a market to move up to #2 for Clingan? I don't watch college ball but he seems to be highest rated college big in this class.

Clingnan makes a ton of sense for Houston. I wonder if there could be a trade back option with us?

I doubt we would take him at #2, so he'll be there.

That said, what would we take back? The #3 and... what? Their next pick is 44 if I'm right.

Would they do 3, 44, & Tari Eason for 2 &, 26, & 51?

Probably not... a pipe dream.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1925 » by payitforward » Sun May 12, 2024 8:15 pm

bubba hotep wrote:Trade back with the Spurs, 2+26 for 4+8 possibly? Maybe they want a frenchy for Wemby?

Would be great, but they'd never go for it.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1926 » by dckingsfan » Sun May 12, 2024 8:16 pm

NatP4 wrote:
J-Ves wrote:
NatP4 wrote:No way. I’m taking Topic at 2 with zero hesitation, and looking to move Kuzma for another pick in the 10-18 range.

I like this and this is my early prediction for what our FO does.

I’m curious about the roster crunch as well. Would assume Topic starts like Bilal did last season, Poole plays that 6th man backup lead guard role. Butler gets buried a bit to start the year, but can also play either guard position/off ball.

Why is there a roster crunch? Also, Bilal didn't start at the beginning of the season.

Topic, Poole, Butler
Kispert, Shamet, Davis
Avdija, Coulibaly
Kuzma, Vukcevic, Baldwin
Bagley, Holmes
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1927 » by payitforward » Sun May 12, 2024 8:17 pm

NatP4 wrote:... I’m taking Topic at 2 with zero hesitation, and looking to move Kuzma for another pick in the 10-18 range.

Sign me up!
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1928 » by dckingsfan » Sun May 12, 2024 8:18 pm

payitforward wrote:
mhd wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:Assuming Sarr goes #1 and given the way size has impacted the playoffs in the West, anyone think there will be a market to move up to #2 for Clingan? I don't watch college ball but he seems to be highest rated college big in this class.

Clingan makes a ton of sense for Houston. I wonder if there could be a trade back option with us?

I doubt we would take him at #2, so he'll be there.

That said, what would we take back? The #3 and... what? Their next pick is 44 if I'm right.

Would they do 3, 44, & Tari Eason for 2 &, 26, & 51?

Probably not... a pipe dream.

I do hope they try to pursue these types of options.
The Consiglieri
Starter
And1: 548

Post#1929 » by The Consiglieri » Sun May 12, 2024 8:23 pm

Definitely a debbie downer take but man does this ever remind me of getting a top 3 in the miserable '13 class. Granted their was a hidden mega star that nobody knew was hidden in there, and a couple of 2nd and 3rd tier very good players, but the top of that class was every bit as disappointing: Noel, Bennett, Porter, Oladipo and Len. Hopefully we can get the really good luck next year and the year after. I would love to flip this for a later pick and a pick in '26.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1930 » by NatP4 » Sun May 12, 2024 8:25 pm

dckingsfan wrote:Why is there a roster crunch? Also, Bilal didn't start at the beginning of the season.

Topic, Poole, Butler
Kispert, Shamet, Davis
Avdija, Coulibaly
Kuzma, Vukcevic, Baldwin
Bagley, Holmes

I assume Butler will be in the rotation to start the year, he’s earned it, but he could play either guard position, even potentially start alongside Topic.

Subtract Kuzma via trade. Avdija starts at the 4, Bilal at the 3. Go get Pacome Dadiet.

Topic Poole
Butler Kispert
Coulibaly Dadiet
Avdija Vukcevic
Bagley Holmes
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1931 » by NatP4 » Sun May 12, 2024 8:29 pm

Read on Twitter
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 928

Post#1932 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun May 12, 2024 8:29 pm

I expect the pick to be Risacher. Ill be surprised if its not.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,663

Post#1933 » by 80sballboy » Sun May 12, 2024 8:32 pm

I don't know if I would have felt badly had we slipped to No. 6. There doesn't appear to be a huge talent gap between 6 and 1, but I'll trust Dawkins to find a quality player at No. 2.

Now, the key is getting a top 3 pick for next season in a loaded draft.

SB Nation already out with a quickie Mock
https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2024/5/12/24151230/nba-mock-draft-2024-atlanta-hawks-wizards-rockets-after-lottery
2. Washington Wizards - Nikola Topic, G, Serbia
Topic has been the No. 1 player on our board all season for his blend of scoring and playmaking as an offensive initiator. The 6’5 lead guard showed the ability to dust defenders off the dribble and generate rim pressure at will to set up good looks for himself and his teammates. Despite being one of the youngest players in this draft class (he turns 19 on Aug. 10), Topic was among the most productive offensive players in the Adriatic league for Mega Basket. His long strides and extension finishes help him score over length around the rim, and he has good vision when the defense keys in on his drives. Unfortunately, Topic injured his knee in Jan. after transferring to Crvena zvezda and hasn’t showed the same explosiveness since returning for last month. Scouts will poke holes in his outside shot and his ability to guard, but if he can regain his burst going to the basket, Topic’s ability to collapse opposing defenses makes him a possible blue chip talent in this class.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,663

Post#1934 » by 80sballboy » Sun May 12, 2024 8:38 pm

ESPN.com has Topic down at 7, maybe due to the knee issues
https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/page/NBADraft24-40095518/2024-nba-mock-draft-projecting-all-58-picks-post-lottery

2. Washington Wizards
Zaccharie Risacher
Bourg
SF

The Wizards' front office can afford to take a big swing at the top of the draft as they enter Year 2 of what figures to be a patient, long-term rebuild. Washington's roster remains fluid into the future, and they should be looking for the best talent available at this spot. Risacher's potential to space the floor, defend at a high level and develop into a quality starter on the wing presents an attractive mix of safety and upside at No. 2. Washington selected another Frenchman, Bilal Coulibaly, in last year's lottery, and will have an opportunity to keep that trend going, with at least one of Risacher and Sarr available to them here. -- Woo
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,616

Post#1935 » by nate33 » Sun May 12, 2024 8:38 pm

closg00 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:Almost certain that Atlanta takes Sarr.

Nikola Topic, you are a Washington Wizard.

Lots of folks have them taking Zaccharie Risacher...

Look at ATL's C depth chart, they are taking Sarr.

Atlanta has Capela and Okongwu making a combined $32M. I think their need for a quality scoring wing is greater than their need at center. That doesn't mean they won't take Sarr if they think he is BPA, but I don't think they'll take him simply because he plays center.

All that said, I think it's pretty likely that Sarr goes first. I'm not sure if Atlanta will pick him, but if they don't want him, I think they'll trade down. Interestingly, nobody else in the top 5 really needs a center except us. If Atlanta wants to trade down, but fears their guy will be gone if they trade down too far, then we might be the only team that they'd trade with. And if we're the only team, the cost to trade up may not be much, maybe a couple of SRP's.

I'm not saying I'm dying to trade up for Sarr. But I think the possibility is there, and that the cost won't be too high.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 928

Post#1936 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun May 12, 2024 8:40 pm

80sballboy wrote:I don't know if I would have felt badly had we slipped to No. 6. There doesn't appear to be a huge talent gap between 6 and 1, but I'll trust Dawkins to find a quality player at No. 2.

Now, the key is getting a top 3 pick for next season in a loaded draft.

SB Nation already out with a quickie Mock
https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2024/5/12/24151230/nba-mock-draft-2024-atlanta-hawks-wizards-rockets-after-lottery
2. Washington Wizards - Nikola Topic, G, Serbia
Topic has been the No. 1 player on our board all season for his blend of scoring and playmaking as an offensive initiator. The 6’5 lead guard showed the ability to dust defenders off the dribble and generate rim pressure at will to set up good looks for himself and his teammates. Despite being one of the youngest players in this draft class (he turns 19 on Aug. 10), Topic was among the most productive offensive players in the Adriatic league for Mega Basket. His long strides and extension finishes help him score over length around the rim, and he has good vision when the defense keys in on his drives. Unfortunately, Topic injured his knee in Jan. after transferring to Crvena zvezda and hasn’t showed the same explosiveness since returning for last month. Scouts will poke holes in his outside shot and his ability to guard, but if he can regain his burst going to the basket, Topic’s ability to collapse opposing defenses makes him a possible blue chip talent in this class.

Draft Room updated mock post-lottery...

https://nbadraftroom.com/p/2024-nba-mock-draft/

2. Wizards - Nikola Topic PG – Serbia – HT: 6-6 – WT: 201 – WING – Int.05 – The Wizards need help at the point guard position and are now in a great position to add an elite passer with awesome court vision and basketball instincts in Nikola Topic. He would help the development of their young wings and would bring a level of dynamic play making they’ve been missing. Topic is back in action after missing time with an injury and is regaining a lot of draft buzz.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 4,019

Post#1938 » by DCZards » Sun May 12, 2024 8:42 pm

So it’s #2. Would have liked #1 where I would have taken Sarr without hesitation, but at least now we get to debate who the Zards should take at 2…assuming there’s no trade.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,973

Post#1939 » by TGW » Sun May 12, 2024 8:49 pm

Yea Sarr was my #1 but I think Topic is my clear no. 2 although I love Reed Sheppard.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 863

Post#1940 » by 9 and 20 » Sun May 12, 2024 8:50 pm

#2 is not bad, I guess. I'd say it's so Wiz in weak draft with a clear #1 and then a bunch of guys with question marks, but maybe a guy emerges as a clear #2.

I bet Atlanta would want #26 if we trade up.

Topic - tall, dynamic point guard that can't shoot. Can I dream on a young Jason Kidd? Or is that way off?
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?

Return to Washington Wizards