ImageImageImageImageImage

The (way too early) 2024 Draft thread. Woo! Tanking!

Moderators: montestewart, LyricalRico, nate33

Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,190

Re: The (way too early) 2024 Draft thread. Woo! Tanking! 

Post#1961 » by Dat2U » Sun May 12, 2024 11:10 pm

Watched more of Jared McCain. I really do think he's a sleeper. Very little difference between him and Reed Sheppard. McCain has alot of C.J. McCollum and rivals Reed as the best 3 pt shooter in the class. Reed is better off the ball defensively, Jared better on the ball due to his strength.

He's my favorite trade down candidate.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,171

Post#1962 » by dckingsfan » Sun May 12, 2024 11:13 pm

I gotta say, the data in this thread is amazing. The FO should at least take a gander... just saying.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,190

Post#1963 » by Dat2U » Sun May 12, 2024 11:20 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
nate33 wrote:
9 and 20 wrote:#2 is not bad, I guess. I'd say it's so Wiz in weak draft with a clear #1 and then a bunch of guys with question marks, but maybe a guy emerges as a clear #2.

I bet Atlanta would want #26 if we trade up.

Topic - tall, dynamic point guard that can't shoot. Can I dream on a young Jason Kidd? Or is that way off?

Jason Kidd was a good offensive point guard, but what made him a Hall of Famer is that he was arguably the best PG defender of all time. Topic most definitely is NOT an elite defender. So you can just forget about comparison's to Kidd.

I'm actually having a hard time thinking of elite PG's who were neither good defenders nor good shooters - which is why I have trouble with Topic as the pick. Ricky Rubio? Maybe Josh Giddey? Mark Jackson? I suppose John Wall is a comp as far as in-game production, though he'll do it with more clever passing rather than raw athleticism.

Magic Johnson

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/johnsma02.html

I need to see how he measures. Is he 6-5 or closer to 6-8? He's not a non-shooter but he's not a versatile shooter either. Where is his in between game? The Josh Giddey comp isn't helping him.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 4,019

Post#1964 » by DCZards » Sun May 12, 2024 11:50 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
nate33 wrote:
9 and 20 wrote:#2 is not bad, I guess. I'd say it's so Wiz in weak draft with a clear #1 and then a bunch of guys with question marks, but maybe a guy emerges as a clear #2.

I bet Atlanta would want #26 if we trade up.

Topic - tall, dynamic point guard that can't shoot. Can I dream on a young Jason Kidd? Or is that way off?

Jason Kidd was a good offensive point guard, but what made him a Hall of Famer is that he was arguably the best PG defender of all time. Topic most definitely is NOT an elite defender. So you can just forget about comparison's to Kidd.

I'm actually having a hard time thinking of elite PG's who were neither good defenders nor good shooters - which is why I have trouble with Topic as the pick. Ricky Rubio? Maybe Josh Giddey? Mark Jackson? I suppose John Wall is a comp as far as in-game production, though he'll do it with more clever passing rather than raw athleticism.

Magic Johnson

Yup…and Magic is easily one of the top ten all time NBA players, which tells you how good and skilled he was in other facets of the game. Magic was truly a unique and groundbreaking talent.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,437

Post#1965 » by NatP4 » Sun May 12, 2024 11:53 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Combine is televised on ESPN2 this Tues & Wed 1-5pm. I got my DVR set!

I need to find out how to watch the Euro games with Risacher and Topic. :o

The Adriatic League YouTube page posts the full games, usually same day, no TV timeouts/commercials. Easy to skip through and catch the few 15ish minutes that Topic does play right now.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,979

Post#1966 » by tontoz » Sun May 12, 2024 11:57 pm

Dat2U wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
nate33 wrote:Jason Kidd was a good offensive point guard, but what made him a Hall of Famer is that he was arguably the best PG defender of all time. Topic most definitely is NOT an elite defender. So you can just forget about comparison's to Kidd.

Magic Johnson

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/johnsma02.html

I need to see how he measures. Is he 6-5 or closer to 6-8? He's not a non-shooter but he's not a versatile shooter either. Where is his in between game? The Josh Giddey comp isn't helping him.

To be fair he hasn't needed an in between game because they haven't been able to stop him from getting to the rim.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,437

Post#1967 » by NatP4 » Mon May 13, 2024 12:05 am

Giddey averaged 12 points per 36 on 50% TS with a 102.8 offensive rating in the NBL.

Topic is averaging 19.0 points per 36 on 60% TS with a 121.5 offensive rating in ABA/Euroleague.

Can get into NBL vs ABA, but Giddey was never really a scorer.

Here’s a picture from the Mega series a week ago. Nikola Jovic standing with Topic:

Read on Twitter
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 4,019

Post#1968 » by DCZards » Mon May 13, 2024 12:06 am

tontoz wrote:
Dat2U wrote:

To be fair he hasn't needed an in between game because they haven't been able to stop him from getting to the rim.

That will likely change at the next level.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,269

Post#1969 » by AFM » Mon May 13, 2024 12:08 am

Nat really selling me on Topic lol
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,618

Post#1970 » by nate33 » Mon May 13, 2024 12:11 am

Continued here:

Return to Washington Wizards