ImageImageImageImageImage

Say it ain't so, Joe: Gibbs to resign

Moderators: montestewart, LyricalRico, nate33

WizKids
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#21 » by WizKids » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:41 pm

Let's not forget the most important issue here. Its Gregg Williams. Thats Gregg with 2 gg's :rofl:
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,828

Post#22 » by Rafael122 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:00 pm

Ruzious wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

That's good to hear about the cap situation. I know that they've proven the cap hell idea wrong many times, but I thought this offseason would be the toughest. Do you have a link to how they could get that far under the cap?

On the Warpath Website: http://www.skinsfans.com/pcinoz/Salarie ... mmary.html

Cap Hell: http://www.skinsfans.com/pcinoz/Capcut.htm

Dan has to interview a minority candidate. Gregg as Head Coach, Saunders as OC-Assistant Head Coach, Greg Blache as DC.
KennyGreen
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#23 » by KennyGreen » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:00 pm

Ruzious wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

That's good to hear about the cap situation. I know that they've proven the cap hell idea wrong many times, but I thought this offseason would be the toughest. Do you have a link to how they could get that far under the cap?

yes...see below...I can't take the credit for it though...

http://www.skinsfans.com/pcinoz/Capcut.htm
"Offense puts people in the seats but defense wins"...KB
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#24 » by Rafael122 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:01 pm

BTW, most of the players want Williams as the next coach.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Cramer
Lead Assistant
And1: 381

Post#25 » by Cramer » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:34 pm

I don't think Snyder is going to have much choice but to go with Williams. A Cowher isn't going to come here with no GM and a bad cap situation. Everyone says "yea, the cap isn't any big deal, they can restructure and yada yada yada..." but the fact is that so can everyone else and they are starting out far and away in the worst situation in the league. I looked at one of those links on how to save cap space and it includes dumping Jansen, Portis and Springs. That wouldn't exactly be upgrading the talent. Dallas is starting off about 40 million better in cap room for next year according to published numbers, and that's without getting rid of any real talent. They might be able to clear space but they're fighting an uphill battle.

Then, if Williams does get the job does Saunders stick around and if not, you've got the Skins (read that: Campbell) starting over with a new offense.

I'm trying to be objective and I'm sure everyone thinks I'm just trying to be a dick since I'm a Cowboys fan, but I think this could have a major major impact. I've been critical of Gibbs this year but he did keep this team together and they do love playing for him. Now he's gone, you DO have cap problems, no GM, what I think is an unattractive spot for proven coaches like a Cowher (no GM and Snyder and Vinny and an owner that the last time he had a proven coach (Marty) he **** on him), most likely (or very possibly) also loosing either an offensive or defensive coordinator, and most importantly, no one to reign in Danny Boy.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#26 » by Rafael122 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:41 pm

Cramer wrote:I don't think Snyder is going to have much choice but to go with Williams. A Cowher isn't going to come here with no GM and a bad cap situation. Everyone says "yea, the cap isn't any big deal, they can restructure and yada yada yada..." but the fact is that so can everyone else and they are starting out far and away in the worst situation in the league. I looked at one of those links on how to save cap space and it includes dumping Jansen, Portis and Springs. That wouldn't exactly be upgrading the talent. Dallas is starting off about 40 million better in cap room for next year according to published numbers, and that's without getting rid of any real talent. They might be able to clear space but they're fighting an uphill battle.

Then, if Williams does get the job does Saunders stick around and if not, you've got the Skins (read that: Campbell) starting over with a new offense.

I'm trying to be objective and I'm sure everyone thinks I'm just trying to be a dick since I'm a Cowboys fan, but I think this could have a major major impact. I've been critical of Gibbs this year but he did keep this team together and they do love playing for him. Now he's gone, you DO have cap problems, no GM, what I think is an unattractive spot for proven coaches like a Cowher (no GM and Snyder and Vinny and an owner that the last time he had a proven coach (Marty) he **** on him), most likely (or very possibly) also loosing either an offensive or defensive coordinator, and most importantly, no one to reign in Danny Boy.

If I'm not mistaken, cutting these guys would result in a massive cap hit, so I doubt these guys are going anywhere. They've been in cap hell for the last 6 years and nothing has happened. Why start worrying now?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#27 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:42 pm

Rafael122 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

On the Warpath Website: http://www.skinsfans.com/pcinoz/Salarie ... mmary.html

Cap Hell: http://www.skinsfans.com/pcinoz/Capcut.htm

Dan has to interview a minority candidate. Gregg as Head Coach, Saunders as OC-Assistant Head Coach, Greg Blache as DC.

Thanks Raf and KG. Good stuff. I don't think they'll cut Portis, Griffin, Washington, or Thomas, but they probably can still avoid cap heck and keep them.
jmrosenth
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 108

Post#28 » by jmrosenth » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:57 pm

Cramer wrote:
I'm trying to be objective and I'm sure everyone knows I'm a dick since I'm a Cowboys fan.

Fixed!

:wink:
[quote:6312c12ed1="imperium1999"]
i had had two martinis at this point so i asked her if he every shouted DAGGER in the bedroom with her.

she looked at me kinda strangely and said she had no idea what DAGGER meant.
[/quote]
jmrosenth
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 108

Post#29 » by jmrosenth » Tue Jan 8, 2008 6:21 pm

I wrote this four years ago (can't find live link):

Can Gibbs Save DC Sports?

<b>January 13, 2004</b><b>

<i>By Jason Rosenthal</b></i>

Ever since Joe Jackson Gibbs retired in 1992, the Washington area has been the bleakest pro sports town in America. One playoff appearance for the Bullets/Wizards. One playoff appearance for the Redskins. Two good years for the Orioles that will be remembered for Jeffrey Maier
[quote:6312c12ed1="imperium1999"]

i had had two martinis at this point so i asked her if he every shouted DAGGER in the bedroom with her.

she looked at me kinda strangely and said she had no idea what DAGGER meant.

[/quote]
Cramer
Lead Assistant

Post#30 » by Cramer » Tue Jan 8, 2008 6:43 pm

jmrosenth wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Fixed!

:wink:

:rofl:
Cramer
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by Cramer » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:03 pm

If I'm not mistaken, cutting these guys would result in a massive cap hit, so I doubt these guys are going anywhere.

That was just what I saw from the guy who provided links on how the cap sitation going to get cleared up. I didn't look at all of them and I was quick so maybe I missed something.

Rafael122 wrote:They've been in cap hell for the last 6 years and nothing has happened. Why start worrying now?

My point is, and I thought it was clear, is that that no, the world isn't going to end, but Skins fans act like they're the only team that will restructure contracts and the like. The Skins are starting in huge hole compared to most teams (a $25 million hole from team 31 (Balt) if Peter King's numbers are correct and a $60 million hole compared to team 1 (Tenn) and yea yea yea, we all know he just threw out that crazy number for the Skins because he hates them :roll: ). Using his numbers, just within the division the difference is 25 million with Dallas, $30 million with the Giants and $22 million with Philly. If the Skins have to make some tough decisions on some guys and restructure contracts on other players to say, get 10 million below the cap, and other teams are starting at $20-30 million under the cap before the girations, who the hell is at a rather large disadvantage?

My point really was that with Snyder, no GM, and what appears to not be a healthy cap situation, my guess would be that the big names (Cowher) aren't going to be lining up for the job.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 112

Post#32 » by W. Unseld » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:23 pm

I want to keep Greg Williams so we can keep Al Saunders. I'm sure he's not dying to dump him after he has seen what the offense can do with someone who knows it cold running it--even w/only half an O-line.

I won't say I'm not interested in Cowher but I'm not anywhere near as in love w/him as everyone else seems to be right now. I kind of agree w/Cramer that it might be hard to get him for the Snyder/Cerrato reasons but also b/c he has sworn he will take 2 years off.
Cramer
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by Cramer » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:29 pm

W. Unseld wrote:I want to keep Greg Williams so we can keep Al Saunders. I'm sure he's not dying to dump him after he has seen what the offense can do with someone who knows it cold running it--even w/only half an O-line.

When I mentioned Saunders leaving, I was thinking more in terms of Saunders leaving if he had his eye on the job and didn't get it, not that Williams would cut him loose. I have no idea how it would play out, just throwing out a possibility. On the other hand, if he wasn't going to get a head coaching gig, I certainly haven't heard his name mentioned, why leave unless there was he had a problem with Williams or vice versa (and I've heard of no such thing) when Danny Boy will pay him twice what anyone else will.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 112

Post#34 » by W. Unseld » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:29 pm

:banghead: It just hit me that this almost has to mean that Joe Bugel is gone as well... :banghead:
Soup's Uncle
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Post#35 » by Soup's Uncle » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:38 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It just hit me that this almost has to mean that Joe Bugel is gone as well...

Holy monkey crap...That sucks. Buges can make our O line shine. That really has me worried. Looks like the dirtbags will need some major retooling. Whats the average age on our O-Line? 32 mayber?
Samuels, Kendall, Rabach, THomas and Jansen...all 30+. We better draft some lineman.
F Street = Wall Street
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:54 pm

Soup's Uncle wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It just hit me that this almost has to mean that Joe Bugel is gone as well...

Holy monkey crap...That sucks. Buges can make our O line shine. That really has me worried. Looks like the dirtbags will need some major retooling. Whats the average age on our O-Line? 32 mayber?
Samuels, Kendall, Rabach, THomas and Jansen...all 30+. We better draft some lineman.

Aren't O-linemen like diamonds? They last forever. But seriously, the rook from MD looks like a mainstay, but they do need to get another like him this year.
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#37 » by yungal07 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:56 pm

LOL...the cap doesn't affect the Skins. Cap hits are for lower budget teams and losers like Peter King who sit there and try to break down the cap as though he's an expert on it.

"A Cowher isn't going to come here with no GM and a bad cap situation."

That's such a ridiculous statement its almost not worth commenting on.

The Skins didn't have a problem getting Gibbs with THAT SAME ISSUE 4 years ago. Gibbs was offered a ridiculous amount of money to come back, and despite his age and his success at NASCAR, he still came back. But that's beside the point I was going to make on Cowher - they already offered him the coaching AND GM position, which is what reportedly he asked for, so your point about having no GM is null. As for the "cap hell" the Skins were supposed to be in the past 7 seasons - where is it? How do the Skins continue to sign FA's every year despite this so called cap hell? When it finally comes, then I'll admt that it actually applies but in the Skins case it doesn't.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:59 pm

If I'm not mistaken, cutting these guys would result in a massive cap hit, so I doubt these guys are going anywhere. They've been in cap hell for the last 6 years and nothing has happened. Why start worrying now?

Looking at http://www.skinsfans.com/pcinoz/Cut_Trade_Savings.htm the players that are most likely to get cut will be Brunell (5.0 2008 cap savings), Springs (5.0), Lloyd (2.405), and Jansen (4.98). That's 17.385. Next most likely is Daniels (3.1). I think it would be a mistake to cut Portis (5.564), Washington (4.425), or Griffin (4.2). And all these cuts would be after June 1, meaning there's a bigger hit in 2009 - causing a bigger problem to deal with then. The salary cap better go way up.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#39 » by Rafael122 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 8:00 pm

Cramer wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

My point is, and I thought it was clear, is that that no, the world isn't going to end, but Skins fans act like they're the only team that will restructure contracts and the like. The Skins are starting in huge hole compared to most teams (a $25 million hole from team 31 (Balt) if Peter King's numbers are correct and a $60 million hole compared to team 1 (Tenn) and yea yea yea, we all know he just threw out that crazy number for the Skins because he hates them :roll: ). Using his numbers, just within the division the difference is 25 million with Dallas, $30 million with the Giants and $22 million with Philly. If the Skins have to make some tough decisions on some guys and restructure contracts on other players to say, get 10 million below the cap, and other teams are starting at $20-30 million under the cap before the girations, who the hell is at a rather large disadvantage?

My point really was that with Snyder, no GM, and what appears to not be a healthy cap situation, my guess would be that the big names (Cowher) aren't going to be lining up for the job.

Teams like the Arizona Cardinals are always well below the cap but they never use the money. Who's to say Dallas will spend $10 million in free agency?

Skins will get under the cap, spend money if necessary and then head into camp. It's that simple. They've been doing it for years, they've had this 'disadvantage' for years and they will continue doing it. They are usually in the top 5 in terms of generating revenue, so they can absorb whatever cap penalty comes their way. That's a luxury teams like the Titans don't have.
Cramer
Lead Assistant

Post#40 » by Cramer » Tue Jan 8, 2008 8:09 pm

yungal07 wrote:LOL...the cap doesn't affect the Skins. Cap hits are for lower budget teams and losers like Peter King who sit there and try to break down the cap as though he's an expert on it.

"A Cowher isn't going to come here with no GM and a bad cap situation."

We'll see.

The Skins didn't have a problem getting Gibbs with THAT SAME ISSUE 4 years ago. Gibbs was offered a ridiculous amount of money to come back, and despite his age and his success at NASCAR, he still came back.

Why do you think Gibbs came back to the Skins, because Snyder threw money at him? If you do, you're pretty clueless.

But that's beside the point I was going to make on Cowher - they already offered him the coaching AND GM position, which is what reportedly he asked for, so your point about having no GM is null.

And being coach and GM has worked out real well for, well who exactly?

As for the "cap hell" the Skins were supposed to be in the past 7 seasons - where is it? How do the Skins continue to sign FA's every year despite this so called cap hell? When it finally comes, then I'll admt that it actually applies but in the Skins case it doesn't.

Did I use the term "cap hell" or does that just help your little rant? I thought I explained my view pretty clearly and the reasoning behind, but when faced with logic like the cap doesn't apply to the Skins, how can I argue.

Return to Washington Wizards