ImageImageImageImageImage

Player of the Game - Wizards vs Raptors (1/29)

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Player of the Game

Antawn Jamison
28%
DeShawn Stevenson
3%
Andray Blatche
20%
Andray Blatche
20%
Antonio Daniels
3%
Roger Mason Jr.
No votes
Brendan Haywood
No votes
Dominic McGuire
27%
Other (Write-In Candidate)
No votes

Total votes: 71

Wiz99
Analyst
And1: 161

Post#41 » by Wiz99 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:53 pm

Gotta be Blatche, right?

I don't want to undervalue what Antawn did - 24 and 20 is a BIG game, even for him - but Wiz were sunk with Caron on the bench unless someone else stepped up. Blatche's contribution was the difference maker for us last night.

And maybe for the future? This is a glimpse of how good this guy could be.

I liked DMac's effort too.
jmrosenth
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 108

Post#42 » by jmrosenth » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:07 pm

MJG wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Ruffin also wasn't a rookie who most fans had relatively high hopes for and just had his first non-dud game as a pro. My guess is that if McGuire had played ten games earlier in the season around this level, he'd likely get a scattering of third place votes and not much more.

yaw, I get that. But there's also no mention of his horrific turnover late in the 4th followed by an and1 foul on Bosh on the raps ensuing possession. Props for the offensive boards, DMac, now do it more than once for me to pay attention.

And yes, this is my way of pointing out that Ruffin did this for us on the regular, hardly noticed around here.
[quote:6312c12ed1="imperium1999"]
i had had two martinis at this point so i asked her if he every shouted DAGGER in the bedroom with her.

she looked at me kinda strangely and said she had no idea what DAGGER meant.
[/quote]
WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#43 » by WizStorm » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:41 pm

BanndNDC wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

there were definitely a couple of times when he did. wizstorm (despite all the underappreciated hard work and effort he puts into these things) just refused to count ruffin votes (which is why the second and third place "winners" are a sham).
:roll: As i've stated for years now ... the 2nd and 3rd place are determined by write-in votes, NOT by the 1st place voting in the poll.

If I started going strictly by 1st place votes, then some yahoo is just going to keep voting for their own favorite player after every game in hopes that the single vote may propel them to an undeserved 2nd or 3rd place finish.

So instead, I the winner is solely determined by votes and the 2nd and 3rd place are solely determined by what people write. If those fan-boys don't want to write why they think Ruffin or whoever is deserving, then it's assumed that the votes were in jest.
WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#44 » by WizStorm » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:46 pm

jmrosenth wrote:Exactly how I'd call it. I don't recall Ruffin getting anywhere close to being a POTG even though he'd throw up the same type of game DMac just did SEVERAL times during his tenure here. Where's that Ruffin shrine anyway?

Here some interesting tidbits...
http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=432652
(Ruffin did get 2nd twice and 3rd once for his efforts)

Here are his game-by-game for that season...
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/335 ... ?year=2005

Looks to me like Ruffin did actually get some respect from the voters when he produced similar rebounding numbers to D-Mac.
BanndNDC
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#45 » by BanndNDC » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:59 pm

WizStorm wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

:roll: As i've stated for years now ... the 2nd and 3rd place are determined by write-in votes, NOT by the 1st place voting in the poll.

If I started going strictly by 1st place votes, then some yahoo is just going to keep voting for their own favorite player after every game in hopes that the single vote may propel them to an undeserved 2nd or 3rd place finish.

So instead, I the winner is solely determined by votes and the 2nd and 3rd place are solely determined by what people write. If those fan-boys don't want to write why they think Ruffin or whoever is deserving, then it's assumed that the votes were in jest.

hey i appreciate all the work you put into the whole POTG threads, it's great stuff. look im not really complaining. im just pointing out that the 2 and and 3rd place winners are subjectively determined (since you consider some votes more real then others).

but your reasoning about the 2nd and 3rd place votes is gobblygook. if 2/5 of people vote X,Y,Z and 3/5 vote Y,Z,A then your results come out Y,Z,A instead of Y,X,Z or Y,Z,X. by throwing out all non-winning first place votes the second and third place votes are given greater weight then first place votes.
Until Grunfeld goes there is no rebuild.
ZonkertheBrainless
Analyst

Post#46 » by ZonkertheBrainless » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:04 pm

my brain just exploded
Help us, Obi-wan Leonsis. You're our only hope.
WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by WizStorm » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:17 pm

BanndNDC wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

hey i appreciate all the work you put into the whole POTG threads, it's great stuff.

but your reasoning about the 2nd and 3rd place votes is gobblygook. if 2/5 of people vote X,Y,Z and 3/5 vote Y,Z,A then your results come out Y,Z,A instead of Y,X,Z or Y,Z,X. by throwing out all non-winning first place votes the second and third place votes are given greater weight then first place votes.

Okay ... so let's use an actual example:

- Gilbert Arenas: 30 points, 10 assists (30 first place votes)
- Caron Butler: 25 point, 11 rebounds, 5 steals (15 first place votes)
- Michael Ruffin: 1 point, 3 boards (1 first place vote)
- No one else received votes

And the theme throughout the thread, everyone was stating that Gil was 1A, Caron was 1B and AJ was their 3rd choice with his 20 points, 15 rebounds.

I'm supposed to give 3rd place to Ruffin just because you voted for him? And believe me, on many occassions that was the exact scenario that I see and revert to user comments to give an accurate ranking.

Of course, if Ruffin played a game where he garnered 10 1st place votes, I would give him the position that his vote total warranted. I only resort to actually going through the comments if the votes aren't as cut and dry, like in my first example.

And as always, if you dispute a player of the game ranking when the results are given in the next POG thread, please post a response. I'm always willing to go back if the consensus is there to change.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#48 » by fishercob » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:42 pm

I demand a full investigation.
jmrosenth
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 108

Post#49 » by jmrosenth » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:57 pm

[quote:6312c12ed1="imperium1999"]

i had had two martinis at this point so i asked her if he every shouted DAGGER in the bedroom with her.

she looked at me kinda strangely and said she had no idea what DAGGER meant.

[/quote]
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#50 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:28 pm

Tough choice here: Jamison's overall game and toughness... he was a great leader last night; Stevenson's early and late 3s plus tough D; Blatche's defense down the stretch and hot streak in the 2nd; Daniels' possession management, clutch shots and fts down the stretch...

All impressive.

But, I'm going with McGuire for his work on the O glass. That kind of work, keeping possessions alive late in games kills opponents. Plus, he should have had a beauty of an assist to Songalia (his passing into the post is really pretty good) and an alley-oop in transition (I think it was Daniels that missed him/might have been Mason).
In Rizzo we trust
BanndNDC
Lead Assistant

Post#51 » by BanndNDC » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:39 pm

WizStorm wrote:Okay ... so let's use an actual example:

nice choice there, but that's not what im talking about. clearly 1 first place vote would not equal ten plus third place votes.

but there was at least one instance when ruffin got a significant amount of votes (enough to come in second i believe) and ignored them. i remember this distinctly because i (and others) called you on it and you then said that the 2nd and 3rd place choices utilized a more subjective measure.

but that's alright, it's all in the past and considering the effort you put into those things you're more then entitled to make up your own rules. i brought it up because i was pretty sure the "historical record" would not show that ruffin did indeed get credit when he played well. since i remembered that on at least one occasion you decided to throw out the ruffin votes (an honor that was not bestowed on other players). im just pulling your chain man, it's all good.

and btw: that wasnt me who voted for ruffin (unless he happened to have some absolute game changing play at the end that day). i always admitted to voting for ruffin and only did it when he deserved it.
Until Grunfeld goes there is no rebuild.
WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by WizStorm » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:21 pm

So let me get this straight ... there is one isolated incident from at least 2 years ago. An incident that I don't even recall and i'm not going back to research to know what the merits of that argument was. And because of that single incident, you're calling the whole system for determining 2nd and 3rd place winners a "sham"?

Make sense.

Return to Washington Wizards