ImageImageImageImageImage

The RealGM Wizards Board Draft Thread 2008/2009

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Re: The RealGM Wizards Board Draft Thread 2008/2009 

Post#501 » by barelyawake » Sun Feb 1, 2009 2:25 am

"I keep on telling you guys, Jordan Hill is the best player in this draft." Could be. He is better than Monroe.

"James Harden scares me." Ditto. Nice bench player. A player every team could use. Not worth a high draft pick. To be honest, I'd rather sign Delfino (or about five other vet SGs in free agency), than waste a pick on him. By waste, I mean in terms of the value of the pick. He would be a great addition. Just not for the price.

Rubio plays way under the rim. It's not foot speed. It's lift. Lots of lay-ups that should be dunks. I'd rather have Rudy or Marco, than Rubio. I'm usually on foreign players' jock -- Diaw, Marco, Rudy, Splitter, Ginobili, Delfino, Parker, Yue, Gelabale etc. Not Rubio. As an aside, Party John is killing his league. MVP of it with 20/10/3. He's only 24 or so. I betcha he comes back to the NBA. In interviews, he's always talking about being much more mature and denouncing his "Party John" ways. But, I digress. Again, I'm sure Rubio will be a very nice player (most smart baksetball players find a way to help). But, not for the price.

I agree that Holiday would be my choice, if we were to take a PG. Then again, I'd rather trade down the pick and get a vet and a lower pick back, than take him (unless we have to because we trade Arenas or something).

I see most of this draft as a bunch of nice bench players. Why waste a #4 pick on one, when you can get the same production out of a #25 pick and get a star vet to boot (by adding in some of our other youth)?
Ed Wood
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#502 » by Ed Wood » Sun Feb 1, 2009 2:38 am

Re: Monroe vs. Hill. I know exactly why arguments are being made for Hill as the better current player and as more of a sure thing than Monroe. Honestly I do not disagree with that point of view, Hill should be taken higher in the draft. My fondness for Monroe is based entirely on the pleasure of watching him play, and my love for big men who can pass.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,477

Post#503 » by doclinkin » Sun Feb 1, 2009 7:39 am

barelyawake wrote:I see most of this draft as a bunch of nice bench players.

Or longterm projects with a ton of potential that hasn't yet become consistent production. There are some real talents, but the most polished players all show real flaws. I suspect Ernie will flipflop picks in a veteran swap, unless he lands a real cherry spot. And even then he'll listen to offers. As it stands we can't even benefit from Ernie's best strength (the 2nd round gem) since we'll only have Juan Dixon's spot on the roster. Unless we go Euro-stash of course. The cap-shield is a huge consideration. But an undervalued Elton Brand is typical Ernie-bait if he had the pieces for the right deal.

I also suspect we'll get back Gil/Wood and win a few games late just to prove we can still do it. So the number 2 &3 picks may not even be in the picture anyway. I'm looking at mid-late lotto picks right now. Tier 2-3 guys. Right now I'm intrigued with guards since our backcourt production is pretty poor. See the Long-term solutions thread for one rant on the topic.

We get Gil back, that helps, and we can expect development from Critt, DMac, & Nick. But still we need an upgrade in smarts, toughness and offensive production. We're dead in 3pt artillery. We have no slashers who can finish at the rim, and no idea what Gil's first step and confidence will be like when he returns. We could use some savvy defense back there. And if we land a competent & creative Point Guard we'll have one for the first time since, who... since hot dogs were regularly being barfed on the floor, I guess.

Right now I'm watching:

Steph Curry -- (Top scorer, top ball thief, 7 assists, NBA lifer with a deep roster of advisors, bla bla...)
Nick Calathes -- Good size, triple double threat, with a deep ball, good creative skills
Evan Turner -- multitool 6'7" strong swingman, tries to do too much, but will often succeed.
Jeff Teague -- Gilbert Junior. Mini-Gil.
Jrue Holliday -- Interesting game, defense & win oriented, currently incomplete on offense
Terrance Williams -- Ditto (with more experience), needs to be Hopla'd up something fierce.
Gerald Henderson -- Offense/defense, NBA atheleet, if less of a passer/slasher.
Danny Green -- even less of a slasher, but mistake-free glue guy, your instant Bruce Bowen (clean version). A better DeShawn Stevenson, by a long stripe.
James Harden -- really tough to ignore that 60.5% shooting... and the 64% FT per FG attempt ratio.

with various stages of interest, at various picks.

Haven't run the metas on this crew yet, or sorted them by 'tiers'. And I haven't decided who I like at other positions at all, sorted all by 'tiers'. But this crew all seems to have most of the requisite earmarks to play in the Association-- to make a roster and stick. Where that all shakes out I'm still deciding.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#504 » by Ruzious » Sun Feb 1, 2009 12:34 pm

When Greg Monroe starts growing into that big frame and starts showing more Tim Duncan than Andray Blatche, then I'll start enjoying watching him. He could become sumpin special - let's hope Coach Thompson has his father's touch with bigs and brings out the mean streak within. So far, I haven't seen it.

The big I love to watch... well, maybe he's only 6'8, but I love Patrick Patterson's game. He's a coach's dream. The switch is always on high - whether he's on offense, defense... even special teams? And the long arms and quick jumping ability make up for the lack o height. He does have offensive issues that he'll have to work on - always goes one direction, never been seen shooting a jump shot - but when you shoot 66%... your coach tells you to keep on doing what you're doing. In the NBA, he'll have to adjust some. But I'm not going to assume he can't. He's a very good passer, has great hands, a high BB IQ - I'm going to assume he can. And he just may be the next Elton Brand. If David West made it big, he can too.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Tiago
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#505 » by Tiago » Sun Feb 1, 2009 3:54 pm

In my opinion, at this moment, the best European prospect is Tiago Splitter, he really developed his game, he's getting more consistent, I think it's time to see him in NBA...

I have seen some ACB and Euroleague games, and I can give you some notes about some players you are interested, mainly doclinkin because of Sergio Llull:

EuroLeague

B. Jennings - In his last 2 games, he only scored 2 pts, and zero ast in 17 min(10 against Fenerbahce, and 6 against Unicaja) :-?

28/01
S. Llull - Good game against Barcelona with 18 pts (7-10 fgm-a) 3 ast and 3 stl.

Liga ACB

25/01
S. Llull - 13 pts, 5 reb and....10 ast, this guy played very very well in his last 2 games.

Ricky Rubio is another guy who is playing very well lately:

18 pts(3-5 3pm-a), 8 ast and played good D against Vivemenorca,

In his last game against Ricoh Manresa:

8 pts(0-4 3m-a), 8 ast and another good effort on defensive end. Just a little note on Sergei Ibaka who played very good for Ricoh Manresa with 16 pts and 15 rebounds.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#506 » by Ruzious » Sun Feb 1, 2009 6:52 pm

Tiago wrote:In my opinion, at this moment, the best European prospect is Tiago Splitter, he really developed his game, he's getting more consistent, I think it's time to see him in NBA...

The Spurs could really use him this year.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
AgentOvechkin08
Pro Prospect

Post#507 » by AgentOvechkin08 » Wed Feb 4, 2009 4:48 am

Is it just me...

just frame and body wise, Earl Clark is similar to LeBron. I mean if he added like 20 lbs of muscle to his frame he would look like a replica IMO. But THAT IS JUST BODY WISE.

He is pretty athletic and longer than James. James did not have an overly impressive wingspan. His wingspan was actually almost exactly his height.

He would be a perfect guy that could shut down LeBron in the future for the wiz, wherever he is playing.
GO SKINS
GO WIZ
GO CAPS

GO DC BABY

maybe the Nats, in like 10 years
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,191

Post#508 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Feb 5, 2009 11:29 am

doclinkin wrote:
barelyawake wrote:I see most of this draft as a bunch of nice bench players.

Or longterm projects with a ton of potential that hasn't yet become consistent production. There are some real talents, but the most polished players all show real flaws. I suspect Ernie will flipflop picks in a veteran swap, unless he lands a real cherry spot. And even then he'll listen to offers. As it stands we can't even benefit from Ernie's best strength (the 2nd round gem) since we'll only have Juan Dixon's spot on the roster. Unless we go Euro-stash of course. The cap-shield is a huge consideration. But an undervalued Elton Brand is typical Ernie-bait if he had the pieces for the right deal.

I also suspect we'll get back Gil/Wood and win a few games late just to prove we can still do it. So the number 2 &3 picks may not even be in the picture anyway. I'm looking at mid-late lotto picks right now. Tier 2-3 guys. Right now I'm intrigued with guards since our backcourt production is pretty poor. See the Long-term solutions thread for one rant on the topic.

We get Gil back, that helps, and we can expect development from Critt, DMac, & Nick. But still we need an upgrade in smarts, toughness and offensive production. We're dead in 3pt artillery. We have no slashers who can finish at the rim, and no idea what Gil's first step and confidence will be like when he returns. We could use some savvy defense back there. And if we land a competent & creative Point Guard we'll have one for the first time since, who... since hot dogs were regularly being barfed on the floor, I guess.

Right now I'm watching:

Steph Curry -- (Top scorer, top ball thief, 7 assists, NBA lifer with a deep roster of advisors, bla bla...)
Nick Calathes -- Good size, triple double threat, with a deep ball, good creative skills
Evan Turner -- multitool 6'7" strong swingman, tries to do too much, but will often succeed.
Jeff Teague -- Gilbert Junior. Mini-Gil.
Jrue Holliday -- Interesting game, defense & win oriented, currently incomplete on offense
Terrance Williams -- Ditto (with more experience), needs to be Hopla'd up something fierce.
Gerald Henderson -- Offense/defense, NBA atheleet, if less of a passer/slasher.
Danny Green -- even less of a slasher, but mistake-free glue guy, your instant Bruce Bowen (clean version). A better DeShawn Stevenson, by a long stripe.
James Harden -- really tough to ignore that 60.5% shooting... and the 64% FT per FG attempt ratio.

with various stages of interest, at various picks.

Haven't run the metas on this crew yet, or sorted them by 'tiers'. And I haven't decided who I like at other positions at all, sorted all by 'tiers'. But this crew all seems to have most of the requisite earmarks to play in the Association-- to make a roster and stick. Where that all shakes out I'm still deciding.

Of your guys and what little I think I know about this draft, doc, I'm most interested in Calathes, Holiday, and Henderson. The first for creativity and rounded game and basketball IQ (but how's his defense?), and the second two who seem destined to become good 2-way players.

Here's my list of intriguing 2nd round prospects:

Wes Matthews, Marquette SG/SF
He's flying under radar on a winning team. Is a stud defender with NBA genes. Also very good at slashing and drawing fouls. Underrated player due to McNeal and James getting hype. Matthews IMO has the strongest stats on 20-2 Marquette. http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/teams/maf/stats
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/players/46447

Trevor Booker, Clemson SF/PF
Another extremely underrated player. I see him as a Brandon Bass-type, who can block shots a bit like Turiaf. Had a nice game in 19-2 Clemson's beat down of Duke.
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/players/60375

Eric Maynor,VCU PG
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Eric-Maynor-1262/
The most impressive thing about Maynor might be the swagger in which he plays with. He’s obviously a player with great character, a guy who wants the ball at the end of games (as we all saw with his late-game heroics last season against George Mason and Duke), steps up in the clutch, and exudes confidence that clearly rubs off on his teammates. He plays the game with a great deal of confidence, always at his own pace, and has a certain moxy about him that suggests that he will find success to one degree or another eventually in his career.

If he makes it out of round one he's a no-brainer IMO.

DeMarre Carroll, Missouri SF/PF
Very solid player who's stepping up his senior year. Has improved every season. Stats suggest he can score and defend at SF.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/DeM ... 069/stats/

Jack McClinton, Miami (FL) PG/SG -
Has BJ Armstrong/Derrick Fisher stats. Dude will score at the next level, especially from 3. http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/players/38916

Very simply, I think the Wizards should get mature players. Guys who've played 3 or 4 NCAA seasons in winning programs against top competition. The players above seem to be the kind of guys who could supply unusual consistency for rookies if they stick.
Bye bye Beal.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,836

Post#509 » by Rafael122 » Thu Feb 5, 2009 12:51 pm

Jack McClinton is a pure shooter, lethal from 3. I watched the Canes/Demon Deacons game last night and he dropped 32 on them. Draft Express has him very late in the 2nd round, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being a late first round pick, early second round pick. Someone will take a shot at him b/c he's instant offense. A team like the Hornets maybe.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#510 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 5, 2009 1:20 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Jack McClinton is a pure shooter, lethal from 3. I watched the Canes/Demon Deacons game last night and he dropped 32 on them. Draft Express has him very late in the 2nd round, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being a late first round pick, early second round pick. Someone will take a shot at him b/c he's instant offense. A team like the Hornets maybe.

He's as good as Steph Curry at coming off picks and popping 3's - almost without even looking at the basket. But... he's what... 6'2 maybe? And he ain't a PG. He's going to have to get with the right team to make it.
likwitdesi
Starter
And1: 60

Post#511 » by likwitdesi » Thu Feb 5, 2009 3:50 pm

As a GMU fan, I have watched Maynor a lot and, although I dislike him, he is a guy I would absolutely love to have on the Wizards. I agree that his swag is infectious and really pumps up the team. I am always amazed at how clutch this guy is. We really need to trade our 2nd + cash to the T-Wolves for one of their 1st's this year and get that kid. If all we do is draft Hill/Griffin and Maynor and consolidate Etan/Mike James into Larry Hughes's bad deal, then that's not a bad offseason.

Arenas/Crit/Maynor (Have Crit and Maynor compete for the backup spot)
Hughes/Nick/Stevenson
Butler/McGuire
Jamison/Blatche/Hill
Haywood/McGee

STACK'D and more than enough pieces to make a play for any star big man
WizBiz
Assistant Coach
And1: 27

Post#512 » by WizBiz » Fri Feb 6, 2009 2:40 pm

As a student at VCU, and watching him in person numerous times, I would love for the Wizards to grab Maynor. Most of the aforementioned stuff is true; he does have a certain swagger about him when he plays, he definitely is a leader, and he is pretty clutch late in games. However, many times it seems he just lulls through the game and waits for midway through the second half to turn it on. If he were to go hard the entire game, his stats would be even better than they are. But I guess with him playing big minutes every night, he knows he needs to save himself for those late game situations. I don't think Maynor will be a starter in the NBA, but I see him as a quality backup PG, which is fine since Arenas is always going to be our starter anyway.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#513 » by Ruzious » Fri Feb 6, 2009 10:29 pm

Btw, if people are still having doubts about Harden being wothy of a top 5 pick, don't. He scored 36 points in AZ's 66-57 conference win last night - hitting 5 3's, getting to the line, and making over 50% of his shots. And he had 2 steals and 3 blocks and sold popcorn during halftime. Dude is basically Roy - except an inch or so shorter - exceptionally mature for a 19 year old.
AgentOvechkin08
Pro Prospect

Post#514 » by AgentOvechkin08 » Fri Feb 6, 2009 11:16 pm

Ruzious wrote:Btw, if people are still having doubts about Harden being wothy of a top 5 pick, don't. He scored 36 points in AZ's 66-57 conference win last night - hitting 5 3's, getting to the line, and making over 50% of his shots. And he had 2 steals and 3 blocks and sold popcorn during halftime. Dude is basically Roy - except an inch or so shorter - exceptionally mature for a 19 year old.

I said that as well, he is Roy part two.

He has EXCELLENT funadmentals and intagibles but doesnt do something overly well. Well he does have a lethal shot and can score a good amount.

He may look unathletic but he is actually apretty good leaper, not great but solid on D.

He may be a little undersized
GO SKINS
GO WIZ
GO CAPS

GO DC BABY

AgentOvechkin08
Pro Prospect

Post#515 » by AgentOvechkin08 » Sun Feb 8, 2009 6:11 am

BLAKE GRIFFIN

did anyone see his highlights against Colorado
GO SKINS
GO WIZ
GO CAPS

GO DC BABY

Josh
Ballboy

Post#516 » by Josh » Sun Feb 8, 2009 6:31 am

Likwit,
You have it from the T'wolves' front office that they like to trade their 1st rounder for our second plus cash? Congrats on the scoop. What else do you hear?
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,477

Post#517 » by doclinkin » Sun Feb 8, 2009 7:29 am

Here's one positive on behalf of James Harden (rough night vs Oregon State): he doesn't look like he has ever really hit a weight room. Sturdy, solid, heavy bones, strong -- but sorta thick around the middle. Never know but that maybe he could pick up a little defensive quix with the right regimen. He can certainly get even stronger: he's got thick wrists, big hands, solid torso, powerful uh, fundament... He's got a natural dense strength, strong like a plumber, know what I mean, borne of hard work. Dunno. You know he can hit an open shot, or float one over traffic and after contact. Still have defensive questions. He ain't Brandon Roy on defense. But Roy is just ultrasmooth, clearly was a big time NBA athelete in college, even though he played it cool all the time. Harden looks by contrast like he works for everything he gets. A serious guy, and no bull.

Other news, I'm interested to see the Calathes vs Jodie Meeks tilt. It will say a ton about the defense of either one, Calathes especially unless the coach tries to shade him to free him up for offensive effort. Instinct says Meeks will get up for this game and look good individually, even if Nick spreads the ball around more and doesn't get caught up in the one-on-one game.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,836

Post#518 » by Rafael122 » Sun Feb 8, 2009 5:19 pm

It's probably the reason why he wears an undershirt when he plays. No joke, but its probably to hide the fact that he doesn't look like he hits the gym.

Stephen Curry: 7-22 shooting. He missed like 11 shots in a row at one point including hitting backboard from 3. He's the very definition of a volume shooter. He's not a lottery pick, instant offense off the bench for a team looking for a spark, but nothing more. With that being said, this has "Bobcats draft Stephen Curry" written all over it. Carolina kid, PR move. It'd be typical Bobcats management.

Jack McClinton dropped 34 on Duke yesterday. Like I said a few days ago, this guy is going to shoot up the draft boards.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#519 » by Ruzious » Sun Feb 8, 2009 5:30 pm

doclinkin wrote:Here's one positive on behalf of James Harden (rough night vs Oregon State): he doesn't look like he has ever really hit a weight room. Sturdy, solid, heavy bones, strong -- but sorta thick around the middle. Never know but that maybe he could pick up a little defensive quix with the right regimen. He can certainly get even stronger: he's got thick wrists, big hands, solid torso, powerful uh, fundament... He's got a natural dense strength, strong like a plumber, know what I mean, borne of hard work. Dunno. You know he can hit an open shot, or float one over traffic and after contact. Still have defensive questions. He ain't Brandon Roy on defense. But Roy is just ultrasmooth, clearly was a big time NBA athelete in college, even though he played it cool all the time. Harden looks by contrast like he works for everything he gets. A serious guy, and no bull.

Other news, I'm interested to see the Calathes vs Jodie Meeks tilt. It will say a ton about the defense of either one, Calathes especially unless the coach tries to shade him to free him up for offensive effort. Instinct says Meeks will get up for this game and look good individually, even if Nick spreads the ball around more and doesn't get caught up in the one-on-one game.

Strong like a plumber - I like that.

I have a different disremember on Roy. People did question his athuhleticism in college - just like they have with Harden. I am not concerned with Harden's eliteathletecism.

Meeks is basically a more aggressive version of Roger Mason in the NBA, imo. I need to see more of Calathes - just 19 years old - I'm intrigued. If he's going to be a 2nd round pick - he should probably stay in school.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#520 » by Ruzious » Sun Feb 8, 2009 5:35 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Jack McClinton dropped 34 on Duke yesterday. Like I said a few days ago, this guy is going to shoot up the draft boards.

Not unless he can show more PG skills. He's a 6'2 shooting guard. And he's 24 years old - practically ready to collect Social Security. :wink:

Return to Washington Wizards