Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,835

Re: The RealGM Wizards Board Draft Thread 2008/2009 

Post#521 » by Rafael122 » Sun Feb 8, 2009 6:10 pm

LOL.

Some team will find a role for him. He can shoot the basketball and he can play defense. I see no difference in talent between him and a guy like Curry.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#522 » by barelyawake » Sun Feb 8, 2009 11:27 pm

Love Rubio's head. Love Harden's heart. The problem with both are their feet. As Ruz says, Harden is a half step too slow. If he weren't, he would be the best player in the draft. Will both be very good players because they both have dedicated work ethics and the craniums of winners? Of course. Are they worth a number two pick? I doubt it. Will Harden be better than Des Mas or M. Daniels? They are free agents. If we don't get Blake, I think you have to roll with Hill's potential; get him a tough vet to teach him a work ethic; and pray. I fully realize that both Rubio and Harden could prove me wrong, because players like them tend to overcome their limitations (see the heart = realized potential argument).

If Hill weren't in the draft, I would love to do Lyrical's trade of scrubs plus our first for JO and their future first. It's much like the Portland trade I wanted (two years before they got the number one pick, that would have landed us Oden in the end). JO allows us to get to the playoffs. He affords leadership for some of the youth on this team (thus the ability to develop them, and trade them at a higher rate). He allows us to push now, while saving our future open (once his contract expires). And that deal could land us John Wall -- who WILL be better than any guard in this draft. That's the type of gamble I think we should take (and should have been making all along) -- the kind that both push now, and give us a reasonable chance at a historic future. I like EG's approach to almost everything, except when it comes to shoving all in. It's time to go all in.

You know, the more I watch this mix tape of Wall, the more I think blowing up the team and building a future around him is the way to go. Kid is just amazing. Kid has quicks, ups, smarts, court vision, toughness, defense, and the eyes of a winner. He knows exactly where the basket is even when he's falling down and has his back turned to it. He senses exactly where all the players are going a step before they get there. There's a franchise player. Watch this about ten times like I have:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPB3xzVD ... re=related

If there was a way to get us a young PF and John Wall, I'd be very happy about our future. I'd sell all of our youth (and Caron and Arenas too), to get a Blake/Wall combo going.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#523 » by Ruzious » Mon Feb 9, 2009 7:39 pm

The Wiz would have to tank again next year to reach the Wall. But given their history with injuries - it could happen.

Amazing stat - DuJuan Blair's per is actually up - to 42.6! Who's the last player to get a per that high - on any level? Wilt? Looking back at history, Pittsburg had a player in the same mold 20 years ago - named Jerome Lane. http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... eje01.html
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,191

Post#524 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Feb 9, 2009 8:04 pm

Darnit, Ruz, I was seriously posting to say perhaps the Wizards should trade down and select DeJuan Blair, who could be the very best player in this draft.

I know Blake has the sick dunks and he's averaging 14 boards, but Blair is sick strong. Kind of like a plumber who's been lifing weights in prison.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#525 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Feb 9, 2009 8:15 pm

Ruzious wrote:The Wiz would have to tank again next year to reach the Wall. But given their history with injuries - it could happen.

Amazing stat - DuJuan Blair's per is actually up - to 42.6! Who's the last player to get a per that high - on any level? Wilt? Looking back at history, Pittsburg had a player in the same mold 20 years ago - named Jerome Lane. http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... eje01.html

Good find, posting Lane's b-r career stats. :nod: An old-school, undersized PF. :clap:

I remember Jerome Lane well. Dude shattered a backboard or two back in the day. His teammate, Charles Smith, had a better NBA career with the Knicks. Now I see a bit more about his career ...

Lane was #1 in the entire NBA in ORB % in 1990-1991, and posted per-36 of 12/15/3 that season.

Unfortunately, Lane was playing for Paul Westhead and had really crappy teammates around him. Westhead just wanted to run and score. Lane wasn't that type player at all. He still played a few seasons in the NBA, but IIRC Lane had injury issues.

Fast-forward to Blair, what this tells me is Blair at 265 is even stronger than Lane. If the Wizards draft Blair, he'll have shot blockers around him and scorers, too. And guys like Songaila to tutor him. However, Blair's not an EG-type pick. Not a potential guy or a freakishly tall guy or an offensive player. He is a bull who kicks guys' asses.

Probably, Blair won't be the Wizards pick, but I'm thinking trade down for Blair and unload Etan's deal makes a ton of sense, especially if EG just wants this group to get healthy.
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#526 » by Ruzious » Mon Feb 9, 2009 8:28 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Ruzious wrote:The Wiz would have to tank again next year to reach the Wall. But given their history with injuries - it could happen.

I remember Jerome Lane well. Dude shattered a backboard or two back in the day. His teammate, Charles Smith, had a better NBA career with the Knicks. Now I see a bit more about his career ...

Good find, posting Lane's b-r career stats. :nod: An old-school, undersized PF. :clap:

Lane was #1 in the entire NBA in ORB % in 1990-1991, and posted per-36 of 12/15/3 that season.

Unfortunately, Lane was playing for Paul Westhead and had really crappy teammates around him.

Fast-forward to Blair, what this tells me is Blair at 265 is even stronger than Lane. If the Wizards draft Blair, he'll have shot blockers around him and scorers, too. And guys like Songaila to tutor him.

Blair's not an EG pick. Not a potential guy or a freakishly tall guy or an offensive player. He is a bull who kicks guys' asses.

Won't be the pick, but I'm thinking trade down for Blair and unload Etan's deal makes a ton of sense, especially if EG just wants this group to get healthy.

Yeah, I remember Charles Smith a lot better. He was one of the first of the modern breed of tall real athletic PFs - and had the infamous moment where he missed like 4 chippies at the end of a 1 point playoff loss - or something like that - an infamous moment for Knick fans.

CCJ, could Blair play center in the Unseld mold, or is the NBA too entrenched in new school to even try something like that?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,208

Post#527 » by Dat2U » Mon Feb 9, 2009 9:00 pm

Unfortunately, Lane was playing for Paul Westhead and had really crappy teammates around him. Westhead just wanted to run and score. Lane wasn't that type player at all. He still played a few seasons in the NBA, but IIRC Lane had injury issues.

Fast-forward to Blair, what this tells me is Blair at 265 is even stronger than Lane. If the Wizards draft Blair, he'll have shot blockers around him and scorers, too. And guys like Songaila to tutor him. However, Blair's not an EG-type pick. Not a potential guy or a freakishly tall guy or an offensive player. He is a bull who kicks guys' asses.

Probably, Blair won't be the Wizards pick, but I'm thinking trade down for Blair and unload Etan's deal makes a ton of sense, especially if EG just wants this group to get healthy.

CCJ, I wouldn't mind taking a flier on Blair, but at best he's like what? A late 1sd round pick? You don't trade down 20-some spots in the draft to dump a contract. Especially Etan's deal which will expire next year anyways.

It make more sense to buy a late 1st if we want him bad enough. Or heck, were likely to have the 1st or 2nd pick in the 2nd round anyways. He could likely be available there. Athough knowing this organization & Grunfeld, they'll probably just sell the pick for some cash.
RealGM

Post#528 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Feb 9, 2009 9:18 pm

Ruzious wrote:
CCJ, could Blair play center in the Unseld mold, or is the NBA too entrenched in new school to even try something like that?

Yes, he can.

Wes played against Alcindor/Jabbar, Walton, Sikma, Paultz, all at their best. When the Bullets added another great rebounder/scorer at F and a great coach, they won one NBA title. Had a 60-win season, too. In fairness, having a short C really hurt them in 1974/75 against Golden State's C, George Johnson IIRC. Dude was an eraser of a shot blocker. So, in that matchup, Wes didn't fare too well. However, 90% of the time, leverage was a beast for taller guys to deal with.

Ruz, I'm positive with the lanky dudes the Wiz already have Blair could be a much better C than Songaila.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#529 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Feb 9, 2009 9:26 pm

Dat2U wrote:CCJ, I wouldn't mind taking a flier on Blair, but at best he's like what? A late 1sd round pick? You don't trade down 20-some spots in the draft to dump a contract. Especially Etan's deal which will expire next year anyways.

I agree, Dat.

Dat2U wrote:It make more sense to buy a late 1st if we want him bad enough. Or heck, were likely to have the 1st or 2nd pick in the 2nd round anyways. He could likely be available there. Athough knowing this organization & Grunfeld, they'll probably just sell the pick for some cash.

Blair might be gone by late first, Dat.

You're right about this organization. We're speculating about what they should do, and not what they probably will do. Come out on the cheap end and sell the pick is what Ernie most likely will do. I don't want to get my hopes up, but still enjoy fantasizing about what a great organization could IMO do.

Best of all worlds IMO would be for the Wizards to draft somebody like Harden if they don't land the top pick, and to also trade Pecherov plus this year's high second round pick to whatever team drafts him for the rights to DeJuan Blair.

Add Harden and Blair, lose OPEC and hopefully James' or Thomas' deal for another contract that shaves just enough cap to get in under the tax.

That puts Washington right near the top next season.
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#530 » by Ruzious » Mon Feb 9, 2009 9:36 pm

Ruzious wrote:

Yes, he can.

Wes played against Alcindor/Jabbar, Walton, Sikma, Paultz, all at their best. When the Bullets added another great rebounder/scorer at F and a great coach, they won one NBA title. Had a 60-win season, too. In fairness, having a short C really hurt them in 1974/75 against Golden State's C, George Johnson IIRC. Dude was an eraser of a shot blocker. So, in that matchup, Wes didn't fare too well. However, 90% of the time, leverage was a beast for taller guys to deal with.

Ruz, I'm positive with the lanky dudes the Wiz already have Blair could be a much better C than Songaila.

And Lanier and Willis Reed and even a few years against Wilt. There were some good centers back then - a lot of wide bodies. Remember Clifford Ray in the playoffs, too. But yeah, with a modern-day equivalent of a guy like E or Bob McAdoo at PF, I think you could play Blair at C. I could see him meshing well with Blatche - and making up for Blatche's inconsistent rebounding.
no D in Hibachi
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#531 » by no D in Hibachi » Mon Feb 9, 2009 9:36 pm

After watching Pecherov in the last few games it is obvious he has no place in the NBA. He's unbelievably bad at the only thing he's supposed to be good at. I'm certain he's been exposed to all other GM's with his play. I doubt he even has 'intrigue' value left so I can't see a scenario where he is combined with the 2nd pick to obtain a higher selection to nab Blair. That ship has sailed in my opinion.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,208

Post#532 » by Dat2U » Mon Feb 9, 2009 9:50 pm

I'm still not sold on Harden. Especially not a top 3 pick for the guy. With Roy, I think people underestimated his athleticism but he was a legit NBA caliber athlete. I made the mistake of just going off scouting reports for Roy and misjudged his talent. With Harden, the few times (two to be exact) I've seen Arizona State, I see a very skilled and mature player physically but a guy that's just an average athlete at even the college level.

Also Harden doesn't have the PG skills that Roy has. Harden can pass the rock fairly well & use his ballhandling to create space for his shot but I don't see him being the main ballhandler for an NBA team. Harden is also listed about an inch shorter than Roy and that could potentially make a huge difference at this level depending on how Harden measures out exactly.

If we don't get Griffin or Monroe (my 2nd choice). I still like Curry b/c I do think he's got the skills & vision to be a very good PG on the next level, but moreso in a trade down scenario. If the value isn't there in a trade then I'd look at Hill & Holiday.
RealGM

Post#533 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Feb 9, 2009 10:47 pm

Curry and Blair?

Count me as EXTREMELY PLEASED if the Wizards land them.
Bye bye Beal.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,477

Post#534 » by doclinkin » Mon Feb 9, 2009 10:56 pm

Dat2U wrote:I'm still not sold on Harden. Especially not a top 3 pick for the guy. With Roy, I think people underestimated his athleticism but he was a legit NBA caliber athlete. I made the mistake of just going off scouting reports for Roy and misjudged his talent. With Harden, the few times (two to be exact) I've seen Arizona State, I see a very skilled and mature player physically but a guy that's just an average athlete at even the college level.

Also Harden doesn't have the PG skills that Roy has. Harden can pass the rock fairly well & use his ballhandling to create space for his shot but I don't see him being the main ballhandler for an NBA team. Harden is also listed about an inch shorter than Roy and that could potentially make a huge difference at this level depending on how Harden measures out exactly.

If we don't get Griffin or Monroe (my 2nd choice). I still like Curry b/c I do think he's got the skills & vision to be a very good PG on the next level, but moreso in a trade down scenario. If the value isn't there in a trade then I'd look at Hill & Holiday.

This is just about exactly where I am. Though on Roy I saw all the athleticism I needed to see, my only question marks were regarding his motivation, was he laid back to the point of passivity? Or was it just a desire to help the team succeed and feature his teammates... But every game I saw him in (few) he'd do something stunningly smooth, NBA-calibre.

That's sorta where I am with Curry. I understand all the arguments against him, agree with half of them, but when I watch him play I'm just seeing the 'signature' of an NBA player. He ain't done improving, and he's got the vision thing that is near-impossible to learn. Willing to be wrong on this, but I think when all's said and done he'll pan out as a hi-quality NBA player on a winning team.

Would I take him top 3? No. I'd trade the pick for an established Top 3 quality player, and take him later with their lower pick. That's where the value is. Before this new injury I swore Ernie would focus on Elton Brand. But a separated shoulder can turn chronic. CWebb lost year's worth of games due to loose armsockets. If there's no deadline trade I can see Ernie trying to wrangle an Amare deal with that #2 pick as a rider. Though Amare has always seemed like a guard-dependent player to me. Not sure if it's a great fit next to a healthy Gil, except for the uptempo thing.

Not quite sold on Greg Monroe. I like him, but he's come up small a few times. Means only that he's still learning hasn't fully realized his talent. I know he'd end up 6x better as a player if he stayed a year or two, I haven't really settled on my #2. I like Jordan Hill, ok. Saw Jrue only once.

I have a ton of interesting prospects as possible role players if we clear space though. BUt I don't see it happening given the roster make-up right now. No cap room, too many youngsters unless we pull a 4 for one trade or whatnot.

This is the year of the Meast though. Manbeasts running berserk.
DeJuan Blair really can't be ignored the way he's stompling the Big East. DJB will find a role, and murder the starters in practice so they check their blood for urine or vice versa. Coaches will love the reckless incessant pounding. He makes a good energizer bunny.
Luke Harangody would fit well next to a finesse forward. Maybe too immobile to keep up with the uptempo teams, but unafraid to bang, another constant worker, high energy wideload.
Yeah Ruz' boy Jon Brockman has the thick trunk plus remarkable athleticism for the pitbull-plugugly body. He can even run uptempo, loves to riccochet off opponent bigs to get momentum for the loose ball.
As far as pure dirty tricks nasty badboy I like Uconn's Jeff Adrien-- probably way too short for the next level, but he's got rampant savage in his game. Strong smart defender, with arms the size of sleeping bags. I'm as excited as anything to watch his two tilts against Blair coming up. Unsanctioned heavyweight backalley UFC fight. Here's hoping the college refs really let them uncork it out there.

Moreover there's a rack of backcourt players who could have an effect at the next level, certainly for us. (Harden among them. As a bench filler he's an upgrade, a high quality player). So. Still haven't figured out what i like. But I suspect if we don't catch the top ticket, we'll try a multiplayer swap to upgrade (defense especially) and maybe take a cheaper role-player from somewhere lower down.
RealGM

Post#535 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Feb 9, 2009 11:09 pm

no D in Hibachi wrote:After watching Pecherov in the last few games it is obvious he has no place in the NBA. He's unbelievably bad at the only thing he's supposed to be good at. I'm certain he's been exposed to all other GM's with his play. I doubt he even has 'intrigue' value left so I can't see a scenario where he is combined with the 2nd pick to obtain a higher selection to nab Blair. That ship has sailed in my opinion.

Heck, make it OPEC plus next year's first, unprotected.

It'd be worth it.

As for Pecherov, I still think he can hit a three and rebound, given minutes.
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#536 » by Ruzious » Mon Feb 9, 2009 11:35 pm

doclinkin wrote:
Dat2U wrote:As far as pure dirty tricks nasty badboy I like Uconn's Jeff Adrien-- probably way too short for the next level, but he's got rampant savage in his game. Strong smart defender, with arms the size of sleeping bags. I'm as excited as anything to watch his two tilts against Blair coming up. Unsanctioned heavyweight backalley UFC fight. Here's hoping the college refs really let them uncork it out there.

Adrien belongs in the discussion. True, he's only 6'6 and a 2nd round pick, but he's got the freaky long arms thing, and he's as rough as it gets (Caron was a lot like that at UConn.). Unfortunately, he thinks he's the center, and Thabeet should get out of his way. When your teammate is 9 inches taller and 270 lbs, you probably should defer to him a bit more.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,835

Post#537 » by Rafael122 » Mon Feb 9, 2009 11:43 pm

Dat, we're gonna have a top 3 pick in the 2nd round and Blair would be a great pickup for this team. If we don't get Griffin, this would be a good draft to trade out of the lottery. There's gonna be talent at the bottom half of this draft and into the early second round that will produce for teams.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#538 » by fishercob » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:24 am

Lane's backboard shattering was the subject of Bill Raftery's famous "send it in, Jerome!" call that you still hear today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqSwZgpOad8
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#539 » by Ruzious » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:42 am

fishercob wrote:Lane's backboard shattering was the subject of Bill Raftery's famous "send it in, Jerome!" call that you still hear today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqSwZgpOad8

Not just "a kiss... off the glass". Ol Bill's got the greatest pause in broadcasting.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,389

Post#540 » by dobrojim » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:50 am

Ruzious wrote:

Yes, he can.

you left out some rather notables, HOFers that Wes battled against -
how about Wilt and even Russell maybe for a year, Cowens certainly,
Gilmore, Nate Thurmond. And Jerry Lucas too.

The year (Wes) being short REALLY hurt them I'd argue was in the 71 Finals.
Alcindor owned Wes. In fairness to Wes, at that time, Alcindor owned
the entire league. The closest we've come to that level of scoring since
was MJ for a year or 2 in his heyday.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities

Return to Washington Wizards