ImageImageImageImageImage

What Should the Wizards Should Do with the 5th Pick?

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

What Should the Wizards Should Do with the 5th Pick?

Poll ended at Mon May 25, 2009 2:07 am

A. Trade the pick
46%
B. Draft Best Player Available (No preference)
5%
C. Draft Evans
10%
D. Draft Harden
16%
E. Draft Curry
7%
F. Draft DEJUAN BLAIR (CCJ's Advice)
3%
G. Draft Hill
8%
H. Draft ___________ (Your preference)
6%

Total votes: 106

dfreshbfresh
Freshman
And1: 0

Re: What Should the Wizards Should Do with the 5th Pick? 

Post#521 » by dfreshbfresh » Wed May 27, 2009 5:04 am

Who was more highly regaurded comming out of high school between Crittenton and T Evans?
Dnice
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,191

Post#522 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed May 27, 2009 5:19 am

Pollinator wrote:Per Chad Ford's latest chat, Blair measured out at 6-7 1/4 in shoes, 7-2 wingspan, 33 inch 1-step vertical. Not sure what this means exactly, but probably that he's a lottery pick at this point.

What it means is a whole bunch of people are idiots for not ranking Blair higher, Ji.

Blair is 1/4'taller and has a 1/2'reach advantage over Paul Millsap. Essentially, he's the same size as Millsap, (but 10-15 lbs heavier and a lot stronger).

Heres another guy who I know was good (but he's not as good as Blair)

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Paul-Millsap-299/

Millsap led the NCAA in rebounding in all three seasons he spent in college—so it’s not really a shock to see him “develop” into a phenomenal rebounder in the pros as well. That doesn’t make it any less fun to watch in person, though. Millsap uses his body incredibly well to box his man out and has phenomenal instincts and impeccable timing using his limited vertical leap to get the loose ball. He measured out at just 6-7 ¼ at the Orlando Pre-Draft Camp last year, but has a 7-1 ½ wingspan at his disposal to help compensate for that. His hands are phenomenal, which helps him come up with plenty of loose change around the basket in the form of tip-ins or put-backs. The fact that he never ever gives up on a play doesn’t hurt him either. Millsap might have some kind of magnet for leather on his hands or something of that nature, because the ball has a knack for constantly ending up in his hands regardless of the situation. You’d think it might be luck, but it’s been happening his entire life now.

I believe the Wizards will be stupid enough to miss the obvious again. NO WAY ON EARTH HILL IS BETTER THAN BLAIR.

But, I'm prepared for them to draft height, length, and potential again.
Bye bye Beal.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,191

Post#523 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed May 27, 2009 5:23 am

Honestly, I cannot believe how math-challenged NBA scouts are.

Millsap was absolutely no surprise to me.

When Blair's having about as much success, and maybe even more than Griffin, please don't any of you say noone predicted it.
Bye bye Beal.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,655

Post#524 » by pancakes3 » Wed May 27, 2009 5:35 am

it's almost as if prior performance means nothing. once someone declares for the draft, it's all about measurements and prototypes. it's like ignoring GPA and accepting kids into college soley based on SAT scores.

blair's a straight A student, student body president, but he scored an 1100. the kid is smart - he just doesn't test well.
Bullets -> Wizards
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#525 » by yungal07 » Wed May 27, 2009 6:01 am

At the end of the day, can you win with an undersized power forward as a franchise player? I say no, and so to me it's not worth drafting Curry in the lottery. Not that he couldn't help, but I always thought you should draft potential first. The Milsapp's and Boozers of the world are always there in the late first/early second round. No need to waste a pick IMO on a type of player that could be way down the draft.
Ji
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#526 » by Ji » Wed May 27, 2009 9:56 am

i never said Jordan Hill would be better than Blair but taking either at 5 is too high in my opinion. I have no problem taking Blair if we trade down for him
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,573

Post#527 » by closg00 » Wed May 27, 2009 9:56 am

In Ford's latest Puff-piece, he says that the Wiz are considering Flynn and that Flynn is shooting up the charts based on workouts.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009 ... our-090525
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#528 » by fishercob » Wed May 27, 2009 12:16 pm

yungal07 wrote:At the end of the day, can you win with an undersized power forward as a franchise player? I say no, and so to me it's not worth drafting Curry in the lottery. Not that he couldn't help, but I always thought you should draft potential first. The Milsapp's and Boozers of the world are always there in the late first/early second round. No need to waste a pick IMO on a type of player that could be way down the draft.

The Magic have and Nuggets have "undersized power forwards." There's more than one way to skin a cat.

As to what one -- or the Wizards -- should be drafting for, if they keep the pick, the absolutely need someone that can help them right now, even it means sacrificing some upside. A healthy Wizards team with some improvement from some of the Wizkids and another reliable contributor can play with anyone in the league.

I thought so before the playoffs started; I truly believe it now.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,573

Post#529 » by closg00 » Wed May 27, 2009 1:41 pm

^^^^^
Absolutely concur, Etan will be traded at some-point next season so that leaves us really with BTH as our only muscle in the paint. We HAVE to upgrade at PF or we are one-and-done in the playoffs.

*Song is well-intentioned, but the guy can't jump over the newspaper & can't rebound
*McGee is a stick-man & horrible rebounder currently
*Blatche? another softee who won't even dunk
*Pech? Probably gone

I'm beginning to think that James Johnson will be the guy who can help us most next year because he's got a nice mid-range shot (something Blair doesn't have) and could probably step right-in and keep AJ from playing 40 minutes per game. Hill is only ranked higher because of "up-side".
fishercob
RealGM

Post#530 » by fishercob » Wed May 27, 2009 2:20 pm

closg00, is that the first time you've ever agreed with me?
— Steve Martin
Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant
And1: 222

Post#531 » by Severn Hoos » Wed May 27, 2009 2:22 pm

I'm beginning to think that Memphis really will take Thabeet, and Rubio (if he stays in) will be there at #3. And several mocks now show OKC taking Harden or Hill, leaving Rubio to the Kings at #4.

We know that McGee is too much to pay to move up 2 slots, and apparently the Wiz have shot down that idea. But I could see them sending Blatche and the #5 for the #3. Isn't Presti one of the stats-driven GMs? I could imagine he has a spreadsheet somewhere showing production vs. salary with Blatche's name on it. And if he could get the guy he wanted anyway (Harden?) and pick up a young big like Blatche, would he do it? Or even if there were some "cash considerations", future pick, absorbing a bad contract, etc. - would there be enough to get it done without Blatche?

Of course, the Thunder would have to be concerned that the Kings didn't take the guy they wanted (assuming they're locked in on one or the other of the H's). And they could deal directly with the Kings to ensure they got the guy they wanted - but then it's always preferable to deal outside of your Conference so that if you do make a mistake, you're only reminded once a year and not in the standings.

If Ernie really is sold on Rubio, and if he does in fact become a star, then I'd say that losing Blatche is a small price to pay for getting a player like that. And what's more, it sets up the possible dream scenario:

Once EG has secured Rubio's rights, he should call up Sterling. "Hmmm, you guys need a PG, right? I mean, you're shopping for a mulligan on Baron. Think how much better those bigs will look catching lobs from the next Nash/Maravich? How about we send you lil' Ricky, next year's 1st rounder (protected, of course), and hometown kid Nick Young for Blake? And if you want to unload a bad contract, I've got your pick of expirings to add. Whaddya say?"

This is why I like the idea of trading up to get Rubio (provided it doesn't cost us McGee) - you get a potential star, and the trade scenarios open up even further. And I really do think it could happen. (The Rubio trade, that is - Griffin's a huuuge long shot. But then again, it is the Clippers we're talking about...)
"A society that puts equality - in the sense of equality of outcome - ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom. The use of force to achieve equality will destroy freedom" Milton Friedman, Free to Choose
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,502

Post#532 » by mhd » Wed May 27, 2009 2:25 pm

Per Jon Givoni's latest podcast on draftexpress, the Wizards' pick is clearly in play and whoever wants a Curry/Jennings/Evans will go to that spot in exchange for a proven player.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#533 » by fishercob » Wed May 27, 2009 2:37 pm

Severn Hoos wrote:I'm beginning to think that Memphis really will take Thabeet, and Rubio (if he stays in) will be there at #3. And several mocks now show OKC taking Harden or Hill, leaving Rubio to the Kings at #4.

We know that McGee is too much to pay to move up 2 slots, and apparently the Wiz have shot down that idea. But I could see them sending Blatche and the #5 for the #3. Isn't Presti one of the stats-driven GMs? I could imagine he has a spreadsheet somewhere showing production vs. salary with Blatche's name on it. And if he could get the guy he wanted anyway (Harden?) and pick up a young big like Blatche, would he do it? Or even if there were some "cash considerations", future pick, absorbing a bad contract, etc. - would there be enough to get it done without Blatche?

Of course, the Thunder would have to be concerned that the Kings didn't take the guy they wanted (assuming they're locked in on one or the other of the H's). And they could deal directly with the Kings to ensure they got the guy they wanted - but then it's always preferable to deal outside of your Conference so that if you do make a mistake, you're only reminded once a year and not in the standings.

If Ernie really is sold on Rubio, and if he does in fact become a star, then I'd say that losing Blatche is a small price to pay for getting a player like that. And what's more, it sets up the possible dream scenario:

Once EG has secured Rubio's rights, he should call up Sterling. "Hmmm, you guys need a PG, right? I mean, you're shopping for a mulligan on Baron. Think how much better those bigs will look catching lobs from the next Nash/Maravich? How about we send you lil' Ricky, next year's 1st rounder (protected, of course), and hometown kid Nick Young for Blake? And if you want to unload a bad contract, I've got your pick of expirings to add. Whaddya say?"

This is why I like the idea of trading up to get Rubio (provided it doesn't cost us McGee) - you get a potential star, and the trade scenarios open up even further. And I really do think it could happen. (The Rubio trade, that is - Griffin's a huuuge long shot. But then again, it is the Clippers we're talking about...)

Sev, my interest in Rubio is more along the lines of what you outline -- in trading him than in keeping him.

Truehoop did an excellent and lengthy piece on Rubio of which the basic thesis is, this guy might be a great player but it's going to take a few years:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-4 ... k-Fix.html

So I don't think he's much of a fit for thei Wizards group, though i have vacillated on the subject. As to trading for RIcky so that we can trade him for Blake or something else great, I'm skeptical that we can swing it. If Rubio and other assets can land Griffin, OKC will just deal with the Clippers themselves.

But yeah, drafting Rubio and holding him for a year wouldn't be a terrible thing either.
— Steve Martin
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#534 » by WizarDynasty » Wed May 27, 2009 3:24 pm

I disagree that Blatche is a small price to pay. He is the best defensive powerforward on the team.We have spent 4 years developing and you don't waste 4 years of coaching on an athletic seven footer just to move up one slot.
Blake yes, Rubio..hell no. The guy can pass, but that's as far as it goes. He is going to get his shot blocked in the nba because he isn't a finisher and he isn't a sharpshooter. If Blatche was in this draft, he would be the number two pick..no doubt about it. Now if we trade jamison to move up a spot..then yeah.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,365

Post#535 » by Kanyewest » Wed May 27, 2009 3:25 pm

fishercob wrote:The Magic have and Nuggets have "undersized power forwards." There's more than one way to skin a cat.

As to what one -- or the Wizards -- should be drafting for, if they keep the pick, the absolutely need someone that can help them right now, even it means sacrificing some upside. A healthy Wizards team with some improvement from some of the Wizkids and another reliable contributor can play with anyone in the league.

I don't know if I would call the power forwards of the Magic and Nuggets undersized.

Kenyon Martin - 6-9
Rashard Lewis - 6-10 (still only 230)
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,477

Post#536 » by doclinkin » Wed May 27, 2009 3:39 pm

closg00 wrote:I'm beginning to think that James Johnson will be the guy who can help us most next year because he's got a nice mid-range shot (something Blair doesn't have) and could probably step right-in and keep AJ from playing 40 minutes per game. Hill is only ranked higher because of "up-side".

I'm on board with the James Johnson assessment. Pretty sure I said on here, James Johnson looks like the candidate for the Paul Pierce award of player who ends up going lower than they should in retrospect.

Yes tweener forward is not a need position for us, but he's got real skill. He'll produce quick.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,502

Post#537 » by mhd » Wed May 27, 2009 3:43 pm

I think Johnson has a Caron Butler type game. He'll be a good pro. However, I think we should trade the pick which seems like the plan.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#538 » by fishercob » Wed May 27, 2009 3:47 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
fishercob wrote:The Magic have and Nuggets have "undersized power forwards." There's more than one way to skin a cat.

I don't know if I would call the power forwards of the Magic and Nuggets undersized.

Kenyon Martin - 6-9
Rashard Lewis - 6-10 (still only 230)

Jamison's 6'9 too. People refer to him as "undersized" because he isn't 6'11 and isn't a high flyer. And Lewis, while 6'10, is a perimter player. But that's my point -- he's not the KG/Duncan prototype, and yet he's still very effective.

Point is, the Wiz can add the right pieces to what they have and compete for a ring. They don't need to figure out how to dump Jamison or lengthen his arms.
— Steve Martin
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,477

Post#539 » by doclinkin » Wed May 27, 2009 3:57 pm

mhd wrote:I think Johnson has a Caron Butler type game. He'll be a good pro. However, I think we should trade the pick which seems like the plan.

No doubt, but I'm saying if we trade down and still land JamesJ I'd say we did alright. Though reports suggest he's killing it in workouts and may climb, so who knows.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,836

Post#540 » by Rafael122 » Wed May 27, 2009 4:06 pm

mhd wrote:Per Jon Givoni's latest podcast on draftexpress, the Wizards' pick is clearly in play and whoever wants a Curry/Jennings/Evans will go to that spot in exchange for a proven player.

I don't think anyone will move up to 5 to pick one of those guys considering they might be there later.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.

Return to Washington Wizards