ImageImageImageImageImage

Say it ain't so, Joe: Gibbs to resign

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#61 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:14 pm

ZonkertheBrainless wrote:I would just like to say, quite randomly, that Suisham is the best kicker the skins have had in years. YEARS! That's all that needs to be said on that topic.

On another topic, I think God hates the skins. At least since Danny took over. It's either Danny's bad karma or some Native Americans put a curse on the team because of the racist nickname.

Nah, it's because God hates jews. :wink:
jmrosenth
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 108

Post#62 » by jmrosenth » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:26 pm

Cramer wrote:It's a pretty simple question, do you want to start over (Cowher) or keep building on what Gibbs has done (Williams)?

But with Danny Boy it isn't so simple. Does he want to do what makes sense or hold a press conference with a big name.?

I don't think it's that simple, Snyder or not. There's questions, rightfully so, about Williams' ability to be an effective head coach. He was really really bad in Buffalo as the head coach. Horribly conservative, bad in game management skills, arrogant as hell, and worst of all, players who loathed him. If he would have had some success there, I would agree, let's keep things for continuity sake. So if I'm the owner, I gotta think long and hard about things. For the record, I'm in the Williams camp, but I also don't think it's as cut and dry as many would have you believe.
[quote:6312c12ed1="imperium1999"]
i had had two martinis at this point so i asked her if he every shouted DAGGER in the bedroom with her.

she looked at me kinda strangely and said she had no idea what DAGGER meant.
[/quote]
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 785

Post#63 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:36 pm

I'm hesitant about Williams, too. But I don't think that the big name coaches are going to give Snyder another chance. Danny Boy had his chance with Marty and he blew it. Now he's stuck picking between assistants who don't mind letting him and Vinny make the decisions.

I think in the end he'll go with Williams for next season to see if things can continue to improve. And if the team doesn't make the playoffs he'll fire him and start over...again.

One thing that's come to my mind is that if Williams is indeed made head coach and Saunders is retained, I can see Gregg letting Al have total control over the offense. IMO that means that we'll see a full season of Todd Collins as the starter, which may not be a bad thing considering how the team finished the season.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 112

Post#64 » by W. Unseld » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:53 pm

ZonkertheBrainless wrote: It's either Danny's bad karma or some Native Americans put a curse on the team because of the racist nickname.

The cursed theory has occurred to me on more than one occasion but there are polls out there that asked native americans about every Native American themed sports team and less than 5% were offended by any of them. There was one that was deemed offensive to more than 5%, I can't remember who it was but it wasn't the Redskins.

In short, the curse is/was Danny but I'm hoping Gibbs has helped to lift it. Not winning the Superbowl w/Gibbs doesn't = still cursed.
Cramer
Lead Assistant
And1: 381

Post#65 » by Cramer » Wed Jan 9, 2008 7:10 pm

JRo and Rico have valid points but I just think Williams makes the most sense. It also gives Danny and Vinny complete control of the playground again. That ain't good. At least with Gibbs there was adult supervision.

If I was Danny (and I'm not sure all that money would be enough to make me want to be that peckerwood...ah, who am I trying to kid) I'd go get a couple of young guys as my GM and coach and convince myself to give them 5 years before I opened my mouth.

I'm not sure who the hot young GM prospect is (I know who it ain't, Vinny) but I'm sure there are several out there, and then I'd try and pry Garrett away from Dallas (yea yea yea, I know what you're thinking but it ain't so). He's young, bright, driven, and one of the top offensive minds out there, and probably just what Campbell needs.

I don't know, but he kind of reminds me of Gibbs when JKC snagged him back in the day.

I can't understand why if Snyder grew up this big Skins fan and loved Gibbs yada yada yada, how he can't get it through his mellon what it was that worked. A great organizational structure, a great GM, a great coach, and an owner that was smart enough to realize he didn't know dick and let them do their job and cut the checks when needed.
ZonkertheBrainless
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#66 » by ZonkertheBrainless » Wed Jan 9, 2008 7:13 pm

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/m ... index.html

They talk a lot about the redskins but they don't mention a name that's offensive.

Although there are alternate views out there:

http://www.bluecorncomics.com/sipoll.htm

http://www.bluecorncomics.com/mascots.htm
Help us, Obi-wan Leonsis. You're our only hope.
jmrosenth
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#67 » by jmrosenth » Wed Jan 9, 2008 8:51 pm

Cramer wrote:I'm not sure who the hot young GM prospect is (I know who it ain't, Vinny) but I'm sure there are several out there, and then I'd try and pry Garrett away from Dallas (yea yea yea, I know what you're thinking but it ain't so). He's young, bright, driven, and one of the top offensive minds out there, and probably just what Campbell needs.

I don't know, but he kind of reminds me of Gibbs when JKC snagged him back in the day.

I can't understand why if Snyder grew up this big Skins fan and loved Gibbs yada yada yada, how he can't get it through his mellon what it was that worked. A great organizational structure, a great GM, a great coach, and an owner that was smart enough to realize he didn't know dick and let them do their job and cut the checks when needed.

I believe Garrett turned down overtures with Atlanta, right? I think he's pretty set on staying with the 'Boys at least one more year. I think Jones wants him as the eventual successor to Phillips and there's probably a wink-wink thing going on. Garrett was a Cowboy and I got to think that's his first choice for his career.

As for your last paragraph, 100% agree.

i had had two martinis at this point so i asked her if he every shouted DAGGER in the bedroom with her.

[/quote]
imperium1999
Rookie

Post#68 » by imperium1999 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 9:07 pm

i never get all the snyder hate.

just wait til he builds a 100,000 seat stadium in the district on the old rfk site.

will happen within 5 years. you heard it here first.
jmrosenth
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#69 » by jmrosenth » Wed Jan 9, 2008 9:12 pm

15 years. But agree, it will happen.

[/quote]
Cramer
Lead Assistant
And1: 381

Post#70 » by Cramer » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:54 am

jmrosenth wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I believe Garrett turned down overtures with Atlanta, right? I think he's pretty set on staying with the 'Boys at least one more year. I think Jones wants him as the eventual successor to Phillips and there's probably a wink-wink thing going on. Garrett was a Cowboy and I got to think that's his first choice for his career.

As for your last paragraph, 100% agree.

Yea, I think Garrett and JJ have something going on. I think Wade's out of there after next year no matter what, even if it's just to keep Garrett from leaving. I don't think anyone ever thought he was going to be there long term but I do think he was the right choice for right now (as for the playoffs, well, I'm hoping). Apparently Jason almost got it this season so I think it's pretty clear it's his in the future if someone doesn't pry him away. If the Cowboys are out after Sunday, my guess is he has the job next season.

As for an owner just putting the right people in place and getting out of the way, I don't get why some owners just can't figure it out. Maybe it's an ego thing or they've been so successful in other fields they assume this is just another one the can handle (I guess that's ego as well). There aren't any guarantees no matter how "right" you do things (and the right guy doesn't always turn out to be the right guy), but damn, just look at any of the successful franchises in any of the professional leagues, especially the ones that have continued success, or at least get over the bumps quickly and don't let the bumps become mountains. 95% of them, if not all of them, are as I descibed. This ain't rocket science. You think the Skins wouldn't have been a hell of a lot more successful over the last decade if Cooke was still alive? You think Dallas wouldn't have been a lot more successful over that same span if Jones had been able to swallow his pride and just let Jimmie continue to do his thing?

Having said that, if I ended up with a team somehow, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to keep my pecker out of things and would screw it up.
tkunit
Head Coach
And1: 7

Post#71 » by tkunit » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:24 am

Cramer wrote:I can't understand why if Snyder grew up this big Skins fan and loved Gibbs yada yada yada, how he can't get it through his mellon what it was that worked. A great organizational structure, a great GM, a great coach, and an owner that was smart enough to realize he didn't know dick and let them do their job and cut the checks when needed.

My dad always calls him the steinburner of football.
BanndNDC
Lead Assistant

Post#72 » by BanndNDC » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:38 am

imperium1999 wrote:i never get all the snyder hate.

just wait til he builds a 100,000 seat stadium in the district on the old rfk site.

will happen within 5 years. you heard it here first.

the way the Fenty inspired poplar point fiasco seems to be going it'll be 15 years at least. RFK aint empty.

reorganization be damned, i want cowher power (or give buges another shot) i think the gregg williams mess from last year showed that he is not the option we want. it just really sucks that the team seemed to just start clicking on the al saunders stuff and it just sucks that the odds are he'll be gone and the style will change again next year.
Until Grunfeld goes there is no rebuild.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#73 » by doclinkin » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:34 am

BanndNDC wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

the way the Fenty inspired poplar point fiasco seems to be going it'll be 15 years at least. RFK aint empty.

reorganization be damned, i want cowher power (or give buges another shot) i think the gregg williams mess from last year showed that he is not the option we want. it just really sucks that the team seemed to just start clicking on the al saunders stuff and it just sucks that the odds are he'll be gone and the style will change again next year.

Ah I dunno about Saunders being gone.

I wasn't surprised by the Gibbs retirement really, especially considering how it seemed like he'd handed off the playcalling duties to Saunders entirely. But even before that it seemed like a designed part of the plan.

Fact is when Greggie inked his contract he said statements to the effect that he was excited because while he wasn't given a head coaching job, here he had an opportunity to learn the offensive side of the ball better playing next to a Hall of Famer in Gibbs. Well that didn't work out so well, since Gibbs' ball control max protect offense consistently failed to keep up with the D.

My impression was that Saunders was brought in as a (highly paid) co-Coach mostly for dubble-GG's eventual benefit. At some point Gibbs would step aside and GG would run the team & defense; Saunders would essentially call the plays. BUt Saunders wasn't allowed to call them plays until just recently. How could GG learn? Seems to me whatever the call for Saunders services, Danny will be able and willing to open a pocketbook and find a way to keep him handy a while. Both of 'em.

Easy transition.

Now well, it may not have worked that Gibbs tutored Greggy on offense, but what I hope both of the 'assistant head Coaches' picked up and learned from him is the unmatched Joe Gibbs people skills. Both guys had burned out their welcome in their respective teams and lost the ear of their players by being caustic blame-deflecting hardcases. But In Coach Joe they had an example of a guy who would accept blame for other peoples' mistakes. Would take a bullet for them, would snap at the media only if they attacked one of his players, not if they went after him.

Greggie now seems to have a team that both likes and respects him. Okay yeah he will scapegoat a guy. But he took a player like Sean Taylor who played with abandon (occasionally abandoning the schemes) and worked with him. Loved the guy like a son, seems like. Seems like that's gotta sorta humanize him even further.

And team observers say even offensive guys will approach Greggy after the game to talk with him.

If GgW has picked up even a notch of the Joe Gibbs ability to make everybody feel valuable, even just as an example of something to shoot for, a role model, well that's a good thing.

And for the public flack that Saunders caught in KC, and with the money being good here, I kinda think he mioght like hte comfort of being up int he bunker observing the action, insulated fromthe frontline fire.

One thing's for sure though, if Gibbs was held in occasional gentle derision for mollycoddling his players and not holding them accountable... well better believe behind closed doors at least GreggdoubbleG will make sure every player on his team is ready to do their job every down of every sequence of every game. The man takes it personal, like.

I got the feeling it could be a mighty good team just by keeping the core together.

-IF- Danny Snyder can resist the urge to snatch for a star. Just saying. It's a good thing Parcells already has a job.

--

One other area of interest.

Sounds like Gibbs left a door open for being involved in the team in some way not related to year round head coaching. Hopefully so, he can act as the grandpa conscience of the team, keeping folks working together smoothly. Acting as goodwill ambassador and good luck charm. Hopefully. The same way he built that NASCAR team, not hands on, but by putting good people in position then giving them tools resources and encouragement to do their job. A buffer zone between the Danny and the team in away. Little man can be a bit abrasive in his fantasy team fandom
BanndNDC
Lead Assistant

Post#74 » by BanndNDC » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:56 am

I really hope you're right (especially bout the people skills stuff).
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#75 » by doclinkin » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:59 am

Yeah, me too.

But either way we'll have to wait to find out because the team will be required to interview minority candidates.

Rooney rule and all that.
imperium1999
Rookie

Post#76 » by imperium1999 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:34 am

BanndNDC wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

1) rfk is empty for all intents and purposes and the site is ID'ed as a major redevelopment "node"
2) Fenty - will be a flash in the pan mayor forgotten two days after he leaves office at the soonest possible moment. i cant imagine a mayor F'ing things up worse than he has in such a short period of time

and this is my major prediction...

3) expect a "whatchyou talking about willis" hire for a new coach. and when that coach bites the big one, danny boy will have bought himself that extra year in order to offer the pittsburg golden boy $10MM a year to run the team straight into the wild card round every year
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,834

Post#77 » by Rafael122 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:29 am

I don't understand why Fenty or whomever wants to bring the team back to DC. It's not gonna happen in our lifetime. There's too much money already invested into FedEx Field.

So if the Redskins leave, what happens to that? You have a 91,000 seat empty stadium in the middle of nowhere.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#78 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:38 am

Rafael122 wrote:I don't understand why Fenty or whomever wants to bring the team back to DC. It's not gonna happen in our lifetime. There's too much money already invested into FedEx Field.

So if the Redskins leave, what happens to that? You have a 91,000 seat empty stadium in the middle of nowhere.

I wonder what that huge chunk of real estate in "Raljon" is worth. It occupies a huge, huge footprint with almost direct access to the Beltway and easy access to DC, Baltimore and Annapolis. If Snyder tore it down and developed something mixed use... housing, shops, commercial and office space... especially if he got some kind of sweetheart deal from the District to come back (I'm sure he'd take what the Lerner's got), he might just wind up richer than G*D.

Then again, with this real estate bubble bursting, the idea might have seemed better to him a year or so ago when he first floated the idea.
In Rizzo we trust
BanndNDC
Lead Assistant

Post#79 » by BanndNDC » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:43 am

imperium1999 wrote:rfk is empty for all intents and purposes and the site is ID'ed as a major redevelopment "node"

um... no it isn't. DC United gets almost 20k a game. until they get their stadium nothing is happening w/ rfk.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 785

Post#80 » by LyricalRico » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:38 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:I wonder what that huge chunk of real estate in "Raljon" is worth. It occupies a huge, huge footprint with almost direct access to the Beltway and easy access to DC, Baltimore and Annapolis. If Snyder tore it down and developed something mixed use... housing, shops, commercial and office space... especially if he got some kind of sweetheart deal from the District to come back (I'm sure he'd take what the Lerner's got), he might just wind up richer than G*D.

Interesting idea. It is in a prime location and there's already been a lot built around there because of the stadium (Boulevard at the old Cap Center site, etc). A lot of the surrounding communities aren't the greatest so that could put a limit on how high-end Snyder can go with it.

Good point about about the real estate situation and DC United's success at RFK making it a number of years off but that actually could make it better since by then we'd see the ripple effects of the National Harbor. Depending on how far they go, putting a really high-end community at the FedEx site could actually work.

Return to Washington Wizards