ImageImageImageImageImage

Woj: Gafford to Dallas

Moderators: montestewart, LyricalRico, nate33

Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,960

Re: Woj: Gafford to Dallas 

Post#81 » by Frichuela » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:32 pm

NatP4 wrote:I’m lost. what pick do we get?

OKC's 2nd worst 1st, currently LAC's #26...
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 893

Post#82 » by badinage » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:33 pm

The mandate to acquire picks: that’s THE mandate of a total rebuild. That’s how you do it. You acquire firsts. You hope to strike gold, and build from there.

That’s not Ted. That’s what every rebuilding-from-scratch team does.

And you might be right, that that player will turn out to be trash: but that’s what a team like this has to do. Take shots. Siakam was the 27th pick. It can happen. And that’s why these guys, Dawkins and Schlenk, were brought in — because of their eye for talent. If we don’t want to give them a chance to show their stuff, then why invest in them and hand them the keys?
lastemp3ror
Junior
And1: 107

Post#83 » by lastemp3ror » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:33 pm

NatP4 wrote:I’m lost. what pick do we get?

According to the trade forum, it is the better 1st rd pick from either OKC or LAC in 2024
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 4,012

Post#84 » by DCZards » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:42 pm

mhd wrote:
DCZards wrote:Why blame this on Ted? It actually might part of Winger-Dawkins strategy for building a competitive team.

Folks here keep complaining about this being a weak draft. Well, late first round and second round gems are there to be found in EVERY draft.

When there are reports of a mandate to acquire 1st round picks, you can blame Turd. Gafford at his reasonable salary was worth more than the 25th-30th pick. Gafford can at least play in the NBA. That pick will likely be out of the league more often than not after 3 years.

I give little or no credence to “reports” from unnamed sources.
The Consiglieri
Starter
And1: 545

Post#85 » by The Consiglieri » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:07 pm

And in fairness this team is gonna be straight trash forever, and gafford was going to be too old to help if/when we finally might have hope of not being hot garbage. So from that perspective, losing his value helps the '24-'25 tank etc.

I do think (not that anyone wants to hear this) that fans need to reconcile themselves to the reality that this rebuild was 1000% botched by the handling of Beal post Wall shower injury, and the abject refusal to acquire as much as possible in a Beal trade early, rather than it when his value had fallen to less than zero. We literally botched the ability to tank in back to back to back excellent drafts, and only chose to tank just in time for the worst draft in a decade, and probably the silver winner for the worst draft of this century, that compounded the Beal no trade error x1000. We don't have the ammo tanking/rebuilding teams normally have because we totally squandered it and just as bad, we managed to tank in time for crappy drafts YET AGAIN.

That means we are SCREWED for a long, long time barring a Giannis level miracle undiscovered gem pick sorta deal. We're screwed. It's gonna take YEARS to fix this. Trading trash for trash at this deadline was never going to change any of this barring a minor miracle that literally never happens EVER for this franchise (seemingly anyway). So yes, I agree, they should've done better, but honestly, its still a chairs titanic scenario, we're totally ------ because of what was done and not done in 2019-2022, not really at all for what was done in 2023-2024.
jangles86
Starter
And1: 941

Post#86 » by jangles86 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:07 pm

Was sortve half excited to cheer for jazz :cry:
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,991

Post#87 » by FAH1223 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:09 pm

The trade is fine.

Wizards twitter is going ballistic that Delon, Landry, and Tyus didn't get traded.
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,159

Post#88 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:11 pm

FAH1223 wrote:The trade is fine.

Wizards twitter is going ballistic that Delon, Landry, and Tyus didn't get traded.

Yeah that not even one of them was moved is absurd.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,967

Post#89 » by TGW » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:12 pm

jangles86 wrote:Was sortve half excited to cheer for jazz :cry:

Hope Kawhi gets hurt. Which is possible.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,960

Post#90 » by Frichuela » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:17 pm

TGW wrote:
jangles86 wrote:Was sortve half excited to cheer for jazz :cry:

Hope Kawhi gets hurt. Which is possible.

Or equally that OKC has a meltdown in the second half of the season...unlikely outcome but so is our luck...
The Consiglieri
Starter
And1: 545

Post#91 » by The Consiglieri » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:20 pm

FAH1223 wrote:The trade is fine.

They're not wrong, but Wizards fans really need to come to terms with the fact that pitchfork time was during the deadlines, and summer trading seasons of '19, '20, '21 and '22, not now. It's too --- damned late now. It's too late, we're already well ------, and its not gonna get better for eons. The anger is pretty misplaced, they needed to be coming down with torches years ago. Now? Now? When we are left with nothing and the worst draft class in a decade? Nothing is fixing this for YEARS, the best thing to yell at TED, is that you will come with torches IF HE SHORTCUTS THIS PAIN IN FAVOR OF MORE CEILING LEVEL 40-42 WIN BULL---- like 1980-2023. Make him understand that what the wizards did for nearly the past 45 years, and what the Redskins did 1993-2023 is not acceptable. No short cuts to mediocrity. We'll drink this misery pill for years, and accept it, so long as they do this right. Do it wrong, and empty stands.

That's the only message worth sending. Bitching about trades not made now is laughable. We have no assets worth a ---- now (other than 2 we can't trade), what we have are chairs on the titanic and an incoming draft that is straight garbage. Ugh. We just need to watch another sport and save our screaming and yelling for if the idiots that ruined what was left of this franchise the past five years (and are still employed) make decisions with filling the stands, and mediocrity in mind, rather than the long term goal of eventually contending, even if it takes 4 or 5 years to make it happen.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,019

Post#92 » by Dark Faze » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:37 pm

Um, even a very late first is terrific compensation for Gafford. He's a fringe starting center depending on the roster.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,254

Post#93 » by AFM » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:40 pm

Dark Faze wrote:Um, even a very late first is terrific compensation for Gafford. He's a fringe starting center depending on the roster.

Yeah. I'm fine on the trade. Just wish we had made other moves. Like I see no reason not to have traded Jones for 4 2nd rounders. Or whatever the offer was.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,019

Post#94 » by Dark Faze » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:54 pm

AFM wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:Um, even a very late first is terrific compensation for Gafford. He's a fringe starting center depending on the roster.

Yeah. I'm fine on the trade. Just wish we had made other moves. Like I see no reason not to have traded Jones for 4 2nd rounders. Or whatever the offer was.

I think we're going to pull a Kuzma and extend him on a descending value deal and hope it bears greater fruit down the road.

Looking at the way things worked out at this deadline, a lot of teams weren't hype to force a deal.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 4,012

Post#95 » by DCZards » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:58 pm

The Consiglieri wrote:When we are left with nothing and the worst draft class in a decade?

what we have are chairs on the titanic and an incoming draft that is straight garbage.

Worst draft class in a decade? Where are you guys getting this stuff from? There’s no one, absolutely no one capable of knowing for sure where this draft class will rank 5, 10, 15 years from now.

Or what absolute stud(s) might be available in the first or second round.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,160

Post#96 » by dckingsfan » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:38 pm

FAH1223 wrote:...Wizards twitter is going ballistic that Delon, Landry, and Tyus didn't get traded.

This one is fascinating... especially Jones and Wright. Love to know what happened behind the scenes.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#97 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:01 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:...Wizards twitter is going ballistic that Delon, Landry, and Tyus didn't get traded.

This one is fascinating... especially Jones and Wright. Love to know what happened behind the scenes.

Yep. Hard to believe neither of them are gone. And Kuz? Come on. We held on to him for what now?

Anyway, I'll miss Gafford. He was the one player, other than Deni and Geno, who consistently played hard.

We will not win any games now... which is good.

So, taking stock.

We blew it up and got...

1 late first
1 first that won't convey
3 pick swaps -- one of which certainly won't happen and two of which probably wont
6-ish 2nds?
Certainty of retaining our FRP this year.
Jordan Poole
Bagley

This is a pretty sad place to be right now. With the vets still on the roster, we'll not even get to see the young'uns assuming larger roles.
In Rizzo we trust
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,448

Post#98 » by doclinkin » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:36 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
So, taking stock.

We blew it up and got...

1 late first
1 first that won't convey
3 pick swaps -- one of which certainly won't happen and two of which probably wont
6-ish 2nds?
Certainty of retaining our FRP this year.
Jordan Poole
Bagley

This is a pretty sad place to be right now. With the vets still on the roster, we'll not even get to see the young'uns assuming larger roles.

That last part I doubt. I expect we were playing vets early trying to showcase them for trade, but given that we played so poorly they had no real value. I expect the narrative over the 2nd half of the season involves developing our talent. I hope that means we 'rest' Jordan Poole to experiment with line-ups that feature Kispert at guard. Try out Jared Butler for a bit. Tinker with lines to see where Bilal feels most comfortable. But I don't see extended extra minutes for Delon. Frankly I'd rather see more minutes for Landry Shamet than Poole though, just to see if the guys we have can actually play well next to someone who knows his role and doesn't waste every possession at each end.
popper
Veteran
And1: 367

Post#99 » by popper » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:56 pm

I think it's wise, assuming a long-term horizon, not to accept value X for a player worth 2X, even if that player is on an expiring contract. It sets the stage for future discounts and informs trading partners that a team has a desperate short term horizon.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,566

Post#100 » by closg00 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:07 am

DCZards wrote:
The Consiglieri wrote:When we are left with nothing and the worst draft class in a decade?

what we have are chairs on the titanic and an incoming draft that is straight garbage.

Worst draft class in a decade? Where are you guys getting this stuff from? There’s no one, absolutely no one capable of knowing for sure where this draft class will rank 5, 10, 15 years from now.

Or what absolute stud(s) might be available in the first or second round.

Running with the herd/conventional wisdom got us Jan Vesely and Johnny Davis.

Return to Washington Wizards